ABC firms for free-to-air soccer rights

ABC firms for free-to-air soccer rights

Author
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I heard that Gallop gets about $1.4M and McLachlan gets about $1.7M.

Who do you reckon is earning their keep?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

View from the fence - 4 May 2017 5:44 PM
Razor Ramon - 4 May 2017 5:41 PM

deducting 15 points usually fixes it.  

If you have relegation of course

this

If some person wants to set up a club that has 1000 fans but want to invest 100 million why is it a problem?

No no no you arent investing in the game in the right way...
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

I'd imagine that the AFL Tribunal costs more to run than the whole A League.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Midfielder - 4 May 2017 10:16 AM

sorry there I want to keep the salary cap. See you wan this league to end up like the EPL.

You really want  a repeat of Clive Palmers Gold coast united don't you? Sure let that team spend 20 million dollars, what happens if an A-league side runs out of money and goes into administration, what happens then? Oh that's right, as long as it isn't your money your spending.

We would have ended up with an extra $20 million invested in football. 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Would a South Sydney expansion team really make a difference to the FTA TV deal if its on ABC?,

Wellington Phoenix FC

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

nomates - 4 May 2017 6:04 PM
Would a South Sydney expansion team really make a difference to the FTA TV deal if its on ABC?,

Yes because they would play derbies on the Saturday time slot. WP will never play that slot. 
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

scott21 - 4 May 2017 5:30 PM
paladisious - 4 May 2017 5:20 PM

But surely they have many more staff and advertising? bigger squads to travel, higher ref costs due to more matches etc.

If we say a mild estimate 30 mil plus 13 mil x 18 teams we are at 264 million per season while FFA pay 36 atm

I'm not sure afl clubs get that large a distribution, They get the salary cap covered and perhaps a small amount of grant money on top of that, GWS and Gold coast however i'm sure would be getting significant yearly grants 
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

The AFL website says that it gave clubs $245M in 2015, which averages out to be $13.6M for each of the 18 clubs.

But I'm sure GWS and GCS get more than other clubs.
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)

deducting 15 points usually fixes it.  

If you have relegation of course

this is the A-league we are talking about here. If you are a businessman and want to Run An A-league club, are you going to "invest" 10 million a year for the next 5 years and have little to no return and have nothing to sow for it?

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)Rising Star (906 reputation)

scott21 - 4 May 2017 5:46 PM

this

If some person wants to set up a club that has 1000 fans but want to invest 100 million why is it a problem?

No no no you arent investing in the game in the right way...

Again, you think this is the EPL don't you? Yeah Bournemouth are doing good in the EPL. Their home ground holds only 12,500 seats. You think filling out that 12,500 seat stadium makes them "Profitable?"

No like most of the other EPL clubs, they rely on the TV rights money to keep them running. They will make at least 90-100 million just to stay in the EPL this season.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

The last thing I think the A-League is the EPL. If anything it's more like the AFL.
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Razor Ramon - 4 May 2017 10:01 PM

this is the A-league we are talking about here. If you are a businessman and want to Run An A-league club, are you going to "invest" 10 million a year for the next 5 years and have little to no return and have nothing to sow for it?

doubt it

Either spend less than what comes in or choose to lose $X

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star

scott21 - 4 May 2017 10:20 PM
The last thing I think the A-League is the EPL. If anything it's more like the AFL.

bit of a weird feeling at this grand final, last ever A-league game to be showed on SBS

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Be interesting to see how the sporting codes react to the live betting changes ... recall when the alcohol advertising was voluntary pulled from some codes and the AFL/NRL/Cricket did not elect to join that movement...

paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Ten might still be an option if Murdoch can somehow can more control when it inevitably goes belly up later this year.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

well considering the GF was the highest rating game in a-league history and it involved teams from Melbourne and Sydney, you'd have to say that the argument about restricting the next 2 expansion teams to the 3 largest markets (as per the alleged fine print in the new tv rights deal) is justified. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Wilko turns off mike after 37-year career at ABC

Peter Wilkins is retiring after 37 years with the ABC. Picture: Britta Campion
Peter Wilkins, the face and voice of ABC sport, is hanging up his boots and blowing the fulltime whistle on his media career at the public broadcaster after 37 years spent covering some of the biggest games in Australian sporting ­history.

Wilkins — fondly known as Wilko to his many listeners, friends and family — has had a varied career with the ABC covering the spectrum of sporting codes and competitions, including the Olympics, the Paralympics, rugby league, various soccer World Cups and hosting the broadcaster’s sporting panel show The Fat alongside Tony Squires and the late Rebecca Wilson.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/wilko-turns-off-mike-after-37year-career-at-abc/news-story/ded921e1dce29d8e7d38df6dc2074d52
SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Wilko was there "that night"
Really going to miss Wilko.  Surely Fox could grab him for spot appearances or the odd match call?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-11-17/audio-highlights---australia-versus-uruguay/741976

It also appears that the FTA deal is now being delayed by Cricket's internal problems.   No TV deal for Cricket so nothing coming out in a hurry for the football.

I've seen this intriguing story before somewhere. 
TV deal in the offing.  Players threaten strike unless they get a guaranteed percentage of any deal.  CA trying to get rid of old MOU.
Difference I guess is that cricket fans will probably quite rightly not GAF. 

The BBL is set to bring in the big TV money. CA was not forced by its world body to sell off the franchises at $5M a pop so at least they won't have a situation where private franchise owners (it was planned to have them) try and take over the running of the game and shake it dry.  CA can quite rightly say that the franchise owners deserve the money at the moment - because we are the franchise owners!

Fun times.  I have a big bag of chips ready to sit back and watch.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/aca-wont-back-down-as-aussie-cricketers-threaten-strike-action/8525524

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 9 May 2017 11:11 AM

well considering the GF was the highest rating game in a-league history and it involved teams from Melbourne and Sydney, you'd have to say that the argument about restricting the next 2 expansion teams to the 3 largest markets (as per the alleged fine print in the new tv rights deal) is justified. 

and that will result in the league NOT FKING GROWING at all and a complete waste of expansion as you are not covering any new ground and bringing in new communities to the competition, you are just recycling old ones and dividing current teams, yeah sounds good to me.... FKing NOT.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
SWandP - 15 May 2017 7:42 AM
It also appears that the FTA deal is now being delayed by Cricket's internal problems.   No TV deal for Cricket so nothing coming out in a hurry for the football.

I've seen this intriguing story before somewhere. 
TV deal in the offing.  Players threaten strike unless they get a guaranteed percentage of any deal.  CA trying to get rid of old MOU.
Difference I guess is that cricket fans will probably quite rightly not GAF. 

The BBL is set to bring in the big TV money. CA was not forced by its world body to sell off the franchises at $5M a pop so at least they won't have a situation where private franchise owners (it was planned to have them) try and take over the running of the game and shake it dry.  CA can quite rightly say that the franchise owners deserve the money at the moment - because we are the franchise owners!

Fun times.  I have a big bag of chips ready to sit back and watch.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/aca-wont-back-down-as-aussie-cricketers-threaten-strike-action/8525524

I doubt the FTA deal is being delayed by cricket's problems.

If a commercial FTA truly wanted the A-League, they'd go after it.

The truth is that they are not interested (unless it's offered for free and the FFA cover all production costs).

Precisely why the ABC is being mentioned as a possibility (in all seriousness).
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ Volrath2002

Of course the league will grow if they put expansion teams in Brisbane or Sydney or Melbourne! TV viewership will grow, attendances will grow, sponsorship will grow, TV income will grow. So of course it will grow by any measure other than geographic footprint.

And it will grow more than if teams are out in Townsville or tassie or Canberra so if you're argument is growth then teams have to go in the big 3 City's. but I suspect your argument is not growth but a desire for a more diverse competition but that's a different argument
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

View from the fence - 2 May 2017 11:11 AM
Have whinged to ABC about wasting Tax-payers money on Lowys private toy.

Will post their reply if I get one.

still waiting

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

Waz - 15 May 2017 8:56 AM
@ Volrath2002Of course the league will grow if they put expansion teams in Brisbane or Sydney or Melbourne! TV viewership will grow, attendances will grow, sponsorship will grow, TV income will grow. So of course it will grow by any measure other than geographic footprint. And it will grow more than if teams are out in Townsville or tassie or Canberra so if you're argument is growth then teams have to go in the big 3 City's. but I suspect your argument is not growth but a desire for a more diverse competition but that's a different argument

Yeah TV viewership will go up for more big city derbies, this is true. Attendances for a small amount of games will go up too. But by and large these markets already have teams who cover these areas. You are not expanding into new territory, just dividing the current ground up into smaller allotments.

There is a large number of football communities not engaged with the A-league because they have NO team what-so-ever. Anyone in Sydney could go to any WSW or SFC game, anyone from Melbourne can go to Vic or City matches, there is no shortage of options. I'm not saying you can't divvy up the current markets further, there is scope for that, but it is hardly actually engaging more of the football community in Australia. I have gone along since day dot of this league supporting the league as a whole but never fully engaging as I have had no team to support at all. No team where I could buy a season membership and go to the football every other weekend. And I am at my wits end to understand why I continue to bother because a league that is only interested in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne is a pointless bloody thing to me and I am just sick of it.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Volrath2002 - 15 May 2017 1:21 PM

Yeah TV viewership will go up for more big city derbies, this is true. Attendances for a small amount of games will go up too. But by and large these markets already have teams who cover these areas. You are not expanding into new territory, just dividing the current ground up into smaller allotments.

There is a large number of football communities not engaged with the A-league because they have NO team what-so-ever. Anyone in Sydney could go to any WSW or SFC game, anyone from Melbourne can go to Vic or City matches, there is no shortage of options. I'm not saying you can't divvy up the current markets further, there is scope for that, but it is hardly actually engaging more of the football community in Australia. I have gone along since day dot of this league supporting the league as a whole but never fully engaging as I have had no team to support at all. No team where I could buy a season membership and go to the football every other weekend. And I am at my wits end to understand why I continue to bother because a league that is only interested in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne is a pointless bloody thing to me and I am just sick of it.

But "You've gotta have a team" 
World Class

P&R will fix that

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

View from the fence - 15 May 2017 2:07 PM

P&R will fix that

Doesn't it depend on whether the team that's in Waz's area has a chance of going through the ranks up to the A League? If there's no team in his area, or if the team in his area is likely to not have much  investment and sit in the lower tiers for ever, isn't he in exactly the same spot he's in today even if P & R comes in?

Now I'm not having a go at you or trying to talk down P & R, but it just seems to me that sometimes it's almost a religious quest to mention it and it's virtues.

World Class

MarkfromCroydon - 15 May 2017 4:13 PM

Doesn't it depend on whether the team that's in Waz's area has a chance of going through the ranks up to the A League? If there's no team in his area, or if the team in his area is likely to not have much  investment and sit in the lower tiers for ever, isn't he in exactly the same spot he's in today even if P & R comes in?

Now I'm not having a go at you or trying to talk down P & R, but it just seems to me that sometimes it's almost a religious quest to mention it and it's virtues.

with a full pyramid, Every team in Every area has the chance to move up as far as they can

Whether that's a small chance or not, doesn't matter. The hope is there for everyone, the reward is there for those who do it best.

Don't care if it sounds like a broken record TBH.  Lots of questions can have the same answer. 

It's just as tiring to have listen to a different unconvincing solution to every problem.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

View from the fence - 15 May 2017 4:45 PM
MarkfromCroydon - 15 May 2017 4:13 PM

with a full pyramid, Every team in Every area has the chance to move up as far as they can

Whether that's a small chance or not, doesn't matter. The hope is there for everyone, the reward is there for those who do it best.

Don't care if it sounds like a broken record TBH.  Lots of questions can have the same answer. 

It's just as tiring to have listen to a different unconvincing solution to every problem.

This is correct.

Club football worldwide is a giant pyramid. At the top is the FIFA Club World Cup, beneath that is each confederations Champions League, beneath that is the national leagues, beneath that is 2nd then 3rd then 4th etc. 

Which means that if you live in most countries you could technically start a club with your friends in division 7. Play your way up to the 1st division, win that and play in the Champions League, win that then play in the Club World Cup. As long as you meet all the criteria (financial and stadia etc). 

In countries like USA, Australia and NZ clubs are exiled. They are not part of world football. 
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star

P&R will fix that

No it wont, you think P and R could cure cancer and case world peace. P and R will make Tough man tony Abbott become Prime minister again..

sav.09@live.com.au
sav.09@live.com.au
Fan
Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)Fan (81 reputation)

The idea the strayan commercial networks with their existential hatred and questionable long  track record of  'tha sockah' and  be willing to actually ..drum roll 'promote the sport'  is utter delusion.   anyone actually thought eg  ch7  or 9  allow the game  compete and potentially cannabalise  interest and sponsors from their preferred local code  is dreaming.

only chance is a new entrant to strays disfuncional and closed mates club media scene...ie the Lowys buying again the struggling 10 network.    

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search