Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer team

Ballymore in sights as Brisbane poised to get a second A-League soccer...

Author
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

They have done everything right by the looks of it, separate smaller stadium which will be cheaper than Suncorp, consortium who look like they have it together compared to the bakries, already bigger history than Roar, going by what I read on here they already have a club house, ground for themselves? Sounds like the can actually make a profit as well. 
A16Man
A16Man
World Class
World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)World Class (5.3K reputation)

Just fucking do something Gallop
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
WSF - 7 May 2017 12:16 PM

They have done everything right by the looks of it, separate smaller stadium which will be cheaper than Suncorp, consortium who look like they have it together compared to the bakries, already bigger history than Roar, going by what I read on here they already have a club house, ground for themselves? Sounds like the can actually make a profit as well. 

Cheaper than Suncorp, apart from the millions they will have to contribute to the refurb...
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

lolitsbigmic - 7 May 2017 12:10 PM
think of a lot of reasons. Mostly brisbane is not really a divided city. The general QLDer mentality of us verus the world. 
Hell the broncos v cowboy games in the NRL, is not really a devisive game as at the end of the day QLD wins.
THe only place that people hate is the GC, but no one supports teams on the GC. If people on the coast actually support a team, a good rivalry will form.

I agree with a lot of this, but I still hope City gets up. The Cowboys are every Broncos fan's 2nd team but that may just be because they're far away and there's no real tension. A city derby could be very different.

I'm still unsure about two teams in the City and think that trying to present it as a North/South divide would be a terrible strategy since no-one in SEQ sees things that way.

Long(-long)-term I think a better strategy is have a team in each region from the Sunshine Coast to the GC across the first and second divisions. So Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Brisbane (x2), South Side (Ipswich, Logan, etc) and the GC. 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

libel - 7 May 2017 12:37 PM
WSF - 7 May 2017 12:16 PM

Cheaper than Suncorp, apart from the millions they will have to contribute to the refurb...

From what is said they are doing the bare minimum for the refurb, which will then get them an ever better deal with the reds. Still much cheaper in long run when they will likely get less crowds than Roar playing out of Suncorp.  
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

WSF - 7 May 2017 12:46 PM
libel - 7 May 2017 12:37 PM

From what is said they are doing the bare minimum for the refurb, which they will then get them an ever better deal with the reds. Still much cheaper in long run when they will likely get less crowds than Roar playing out of Suncorp.  

I may not be across everything that has been said, but how will contributing less to the refurb get them an even better stadium deal?

WSF
WSF
Pro

libel - 7 May 2017 12:51 PM
WSF - 7 May 2017 12:46 PM

I may not be across everything that has been said, but how will contributing less to the refurb get them an even better stadium deal?

It is cheaper to start with than Suncorp from what I understand right now, they are doing the minimun update to it to get it to A-Leauge/ACL standard. The reds in turn will give them a discount for that, the reds will then push for the Government funding I think of 100 mill that was going to be done before but was scraped. I think that is right, not too sure though. 
maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

WSF - 7 May 2017 12:54 PM
libel - 7 May 2017 12:51 PM

It is cheaper to start with than Suncorp from what I understand right now, they are doing the minimun update to it to get it to A-Leauge/ACL standard. The reds in turn will give them a discount for that, the reds will then push for the Government funding I think of 100 mill that was going to be done before but was scraped. I think that is right, not too sure though. 

The whole thing does seem about light on specifics atm but I'd imagine getting it up to professional standard and then having Brisbane City and the Reds playing out of it would provide a much stronger case for the $100m upgrade compared to it's current use as a glorified training ground.
WSF
WSF
Pro

maxxie - 7 May 2017 12:59 PM
WSF - 7 May 2017 12:54 PM

The whole thing does seem about light on specifics atm but I'd imagine getting it up to professional standard and then having Brisbane City and the Reds playing out of it would provide a much stronger case for the $100m upgrade compared to it's current use as a glorified training ground.

Were the reds playing out of it more back when the deal was about to be done back in 2010? If it was still a training ground back then and they were going to get the funds this surely would make it more viable. Reading that article it seems Rudd was to blame for pulling 20 million from the funding.
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

What's the population of Brisbane and within a one hour radius of the City?
It's clear that the Roar have penetrated some of the market but there is certainly the potential to do much more.

Having top tier football every week will give the game a massive boost.
It will keep the sport in its limited spotlight with the media. Double the relevance and content in the media is only a good thing for the sport.
Both Melbourne and Sydney have demonstrated this successfully and with a stable bid Brisbane can certainly do the same.
libel
libel
Pro

Realistically, looking at regular crowds of 5-6k I think. That's about 1/4 full stadium, which is about what the Roar gets at Suncorp. 

Ballymore, while "boutique", is not really what I would call an intimate stadium.

So I am skeptical as to how successful they would be in creating their supposed "fundamentally different match day experience to the Roar", at least in terms of atmosphere at the ground.

If they had a stadium like South, then I would be saying shit yeah.

I'm thinking a poor man's Melbourne Heart.

Edited
7 Years Ago by libel
JonoMV
JonoMV
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Waz - 7 May 2017 11:59 AM
Whys that JonoMV?

I think Brisbane have penetrated the majority of the footballing market. 

Brisbane Attendances have roughly stayed the same throughout the competition. Only difference is they are no longer the second best supported side in the competition . 
Sure, 2 million people and all, but it is still a Rugby League stronghold, the Roar have done a great job in cementing themselves as Brisbane's "Socckah" team. Melbourne has double the population of Brisbane, is more "Soccer friendly" and look how much City have struggled. I don't feel Brisbane has enough room for a second side. The AFL and NRL never thought about bringing another side into Brisbane and those sports do far better in Brisbane. 

Attendances for the Roar
16-17 = 14k (4th)
15-16 = 13k (5th)
14-15 = 11.5k (5th)
13-14 = 18k (3rd)
12-13 = 13k (4th)
11-12 = 16k (2nd)
10-11 = 12.6k (2nd)
08-09 = 14k (2nd)
07-08 = 18.5k (2nd)
06-07 = 16.4k (2nd)
05-06 = 14.7k (2nd)

I may be wrong, but that is how I see it. 
WSF
WSF
Pro

libel - 7 May 2017 2:11 PM
Realistically, looking at regular crowds of 5-6k I think. That's about 1/4 full stadium, which is about what the Roar gets at Suncorp. 

Ballymore, while "boutique", is not really what I would call an intimate stadium.

So I am skeptical as to how successful they would be in creating their supposed "fundamentally different match day experience to the Roar", at least in terms of atmosphere at the ground.

If they had a stadium like South, then I would be saying shit yeah.

Ballymore holds 18k apparently, even with low crowds of 6k, that is 1/3 the capacity of it and with the camera facing the main stand it will look infinitely better than suncorp. The atmosphere even with that many would still be better than 12-14k in a 50k stadium.
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
WSF
WSF
Pro

JonoMV - 7 May 2017 2:21 PM
Waz - 7 May 2017 11:59 AM

I think Brisbane have penetrated the majority of the footballing market. 

Brisbane Attendances have roughly stayed the same throughout the competition. Only difference is they are no longer the second best supported side in the competition . 
Sure, 2 million people and all, but it is still a Rugby League stronghold, the Roar have done a great job in cementing themselves as Brisbane's "Socckah" team. Melbourne has double the population of Brisbane, is more "Soccer friendly" and look how much City have struggled. I don't feel Brisbane has enough room for a second side. The AFL and NRL never thought about bringing another side into Brisbane and those sports do far better in Brisbane. 

Attendances for the Roar
16-17 = 14k (4th)
15-16 = 13k (5th)
14-15 = 11.5k (5th)
13-14 = 18k (3rd)
12-13 = 13k (4th)
11-12 = 16k (2nd)
10-11 = 12.6k (2nd)
08-09 = 14k (2nd)
07-08 = 18.5k (2nd)
06-07 = 16.4k (2nd)
05-06 = 14.7k (2nd)

I may be wrong, but that is how I see it. 

Doubt it, Roar have been a disaster and a joke off the field for a long time and have been terrible at attracting new fans. A new team in Brisbane will probably attract 6-7k and make them pull their finger out. 
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

How can people say there is no north south divide?

Can people name suburbs where they grew up please?
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

@ JonoMV

I don't think Brisbane has been saturated yet - Roar have done a god-awful job of connecting with the football community and the wider community too. There's still a huge market to tap.

But without a logical divide on geography the competitor has to be smack bang in the city area itself. Strikers would be the best option imo, even the NPL game between the two sides attracts some spice, but city will do nicely. Especially st Ballymore which gives them a point of difference st least and not just another club playing on shot grass in a 1/4 full stadium.
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

scott21 - 7 May 2017 2:30 PM
How can people say there is no north south divide?Can people name suburbs where they grew up please?

Caboolture, Northside for me. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Northern twat 🙃

Next
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Qld Brisbane Roar have always played ALeague in North Brisbane.

Now they are moving to Logan for training and have trained in the south.

I don't see them as a southern team. I see them as northern if anything (even though the original Dutch colony was in the south).

It is hard to buy into the north south thing if FCBC come in. Imo it would be more like what happened in Sydeny. SFC can claim all of Sydney while WSW are only west. Roar could claim all of Brisbane while City could claim north.

This doesn't mean north south doesn't exist.

I think Roar fans on the north side are pushing hard not to start being called a southern team..before it's even happened lol
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Lions are west for a start and BCFC aren't exactly North either lol.

The talk over a need for a geographic divide is nonsense, yes it worked for Sydney but only because a divide already existed, it doesn't exist in Brisbane and any attempt to create one will fail. As another poster pointed out QLD derbies are pretty tame, we only really get excited when NSWs or Victorian teams come to town.

But two Brisbane sides can work providing the new side can differentiate itself, that's all that's needed.
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I was never born in Queensland, actually grew up in Adelaide, just have lived here for the past 10 years so I wouldn't know too much about the North or South divide though I know it does exist. I never supported Roar because there were known for representing either location, I only started supporting them after I came out of the Defence Force which was around season 5 or 6 I think. I don't necessarily think any team coming in needs to have a north/south side divide, though I think they need a point of difference etc different stadium.  

Edited
7 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
maxxie
maxxie
Pro

scott21 - 7 May 2017 2:30 PM
How can people say there is no north south divide?Can people name suburbs where they grew up please?

Redcliffe, so I can only speak as a northern twat (is twat a southern insult btw? haven't heard it in ages) but people I've know have always seen it as North/City/South, so both Roar and City will be seen as City teams. People from the North and South will travel into Brisbane to support them just as they do with the Broncos.

People refer to Redcliffe and Strathpine as 'North Brisbane' so I dont see how a team that plays in Milton is a North Brisbane team.

I agree with you on the Sydney comparison, which is why it'd be a mistake for City to brand themselves as either just north or south because the Roar can still legitimately claim to support the whole area.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

The QRU recently sought expressions of interest in developing Ballymore.  There are some pretty good images on the website.

http://www.ballymore.com.au/eoi

Waz
Waz
Legend

@ GyFox

The development of Ballymore has been in the pipeline for a decade or so; they nearly had it sorted until the federal (?) government pulled a grant of several million dollars. The main investment is not in the stadium but in hotels/offices within the precinct to generate revenue. The stadium gets one more grandstand to replace the Hill.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 7 May 2017 3:32 PM
@ GyFox The development of Ballymore has been in the pipeline for a decade or so; they nearly had it sorted until the federal (?) government pulled a grant of several million dollars. The main investment is not in the stadium but in hotels/offices within the precinct to generate revenue. The stadium gets one more grandstand to replace the Hill.

I'm aware of the history Waz.  Its interesting that it had gone quiet since Rudd canned the $25m from the Feds when he came to power and it has just resurfaced with the EOI.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@waz

I would consider Toowong Indooroopilly Kenmore etc west, all north of the river.

The river is a natural divide. By that definition City are north and Brisbane CBD is north and Lions are south.

The FCBC guy mentioned it at their launch. It is in my opinion smart. A north/northern Brisbane team can also focus on/claim Sunshine Coast if they don't get a team in a div 2 etc.

We catn split the city into city, north, south, east & west when talking about AL. It would have to be north south if anything. The line is the river.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

@maxxie

I grew up in Shailer Park so CBD and north Brisbane are the same thing to me. All north.

I remember when I first went to some parties on the northside. People almost assumed I must have stab wounds.

Broncos play many years at ANZ so built up a southern fanbase.
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
libel
libel
Pro

Cheap tix would be a key differentiator, if their cost structure permits. Otherwise, why would people bother with the transport hassle and second rate facilities.
Waz
Waz
Legend

@ Scott21G

I agree the river is the natural divide but it doesn't present any natural rivalries between the people, the river just represents a desire not to be in the wrong side at home time (especially when we only had two bridges lol) not some us v them mentality.

People who live in Kenmore, Albany Creek, North Lakes, Gap, and Sunny Coast don't identify themselves as "north side" and won't resonate with a "north side" team in the way western Sydney folk responded to wanderers. It will be a big ask to create that divide and by attempting it BCFC would risk alienating the entire south - which has the greater population, greatest growth, largest number of businesses so why even try? Worse still Roar have eyes on land out by the airport for a stadium which would make them the northern team lol

If FCBC want to differentiate from Roar they need to do it on something else not geographically/ I'd start with 60 years of heritage and go from there.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

A16Man - 7 May 2017 12:27 PM
Just fucking do something Gallop

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search