ABC2 slammed for ‘worst football coverage in the history of Australia’

ABC2 slammed for ‘worst football coverage in the history of Australia’...

Author
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Watched the last 5 minutes and thought it was a train wreck - didnt think the whole thing was like it though!

Jules is far better on radio playing off someone else. He is awkward as hell in front of the camera. Surprised he's allowed back on after that shitty week or two on Fox earlier this season.  Poor guys, but it was garbage tonight.

Cant believe the disrespect our sport gets from every form of media. This is fucking ridiculous.
soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

You've all been trolled hard by ABC. 
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)

soil - 25 May 2017 12:31 AM
You've all been trolled hard by ABC. 

I love the ABC news theme from back in the day.... The remix was hilarious lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQNI9jrG7Yk

soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Razor Ramon - 25 May 2017 12:56 AM
soil - 25 May 2017 12:31 AM

I love the ABC news theme from back in the day.... The remix was hilarious lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQNI9jrG7Yk

They should have played this at the end of their broadcast. And when they go to out and back into game during half-time with the game highlights running underneath.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Coverage was terrible but it is was football is in this country...a joke.

Start taking it seriously farken, and fuck your AFL style one teir we don't need to develop world class players system.

Beaten by Eldar

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRaVXPa8WDQ

ABC got football right once upon a time. This is very enjoyable to watch.
highkick05
highkick05
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

paladisious - 24 May 2017 11:57 PM
Not sorry I slept through this.

Man I thought I missed out on a pretty good game. Sounds like the coverage was what I really missed out on !.

Who was commentating anyway

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)Pro (4.6K reputation)

I'm a bit lost here.  I'm presuming all the hate is for the 3 idiots that did the pre-game and half-time fillers?   Didn't watch them.

The game commentary was quite ok.  It was Wadey (Paul Wade) doing the colour.  He is an experienced microphone user and knowledgeable ex-player (NSL career and about what 80 odd Socceroos games?)
I don't know who the play-by-play guy was but I assume he is part of the travelling Liverpool circus, possibly.
Either way, it was a fuck-ton better commentary than Basheer's unpolished squeaks and low-level farts.

Listened to 2 secs of pre-game and headed for the kitchen, got back for the kick-off.  Half time, I didn't even wait for them to get to the sheds to head out and came back at the whistle.

Still laughing at people thinking the FFA has anything to do with these games.  They just collect a cheque.  It's a good one too and it stops fees from going up and buys upgrades for Matildas travel and it's all paid for by people who are happy and willing to stump up to see a foreign side. Should be more of it.

Instead of the dickheads the ABC has thrown out for the day  it would be different on other FTA.  It would be ads and cross-promo.  I'd still be headed off for a piss and a coffee and whatever.  Didn't and won't affect me.  YMMV.

MichaelB
MichaelB
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

SWandP - 25 May 2017 5:18 AM
I'm a bit lost here.  I'm presuming all the hate is for the 3 idiots that did the pre-game and half-time fillers?   Didn't watch them.

The game commentary was quite ok.  It was Wadey (Paul Wade) doing the colour.  He is an experienced microphone user and knowledgeable ex-player (NSL career and about what 80 odd Socceroos games?)
I don't know who the play-by-play guy was but I assume he is part of the travelling Liverpool circus, possibly.
Either way, it was a fuck-ton better commentary than Basheer's unpolished squeaks and low-level farts.

Listened to 2 secs of pre-game and headed for the kitchen, got back for the kick-off.  Half time, I didn't even wait for them to get to the sheds to head out and came back at the whistle.

Still laughing at people thinking the FFA has anything to do with these games.  They just collect a cheque.  It's a good one too and it stops fees from going up and buys upgrades for Matildas travel and it's all paid for by people who are happy and willing to stump up to see a foreign side. Should be more of it.

Instead of the dickheads the ABC has thrown out for the day  it would be different on other FTA.  It would be ads and cross-promo.  I'd still be headed off for a piss and a coffee and whatever.  Didn't and won't affect me.  YMMV.

Good point. Nice to pick a pay check for what was really a training match. Cannot believe people would pay so much money for that shit.

hog1
hog1
Super Fan
Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)Super Fan (147 reputation)

Missed the pre game but did watch the half time show. Have to say I have never seen anything more unprofessional and painful to watch in my entire life!
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

When they went to the Warwick Capper music vid I switched off. My my how pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I had work to do!
StiflersMom
StiflersMom
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Yes it was bad, embarrassingly​ so.
Mr B
Mr B
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I didn't watch the game but saw some videos posted up on social media, dear god it was bad. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by MrBrisbane
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
The ABC to be our FTA provider for the next six years,
Escobar Caesar
Escobar Caesar
Hacker
Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)Hacker (361 reputation)

Hopefully those pre show guys were just a one off and won't be regulars in the A league games they will broadcast

Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

the pre-game stuff, even if a bit cringy, was more interesting than the match itself. What a snooze fest.

But in all reality I am surprised ABC did not put on Stephanie Brantz to host the match last night, she has done just about all other football hosting on the station previously including the W-League and AFC Asian Cup 2015. She also has a long history of football coverage. Put Stan Lazaridis and if they must Paul Wade as her offsiders and you have a good pannel.

But they decided to try and go with something funny. Given the ABC have Santo, Sam & Ed on their radio programming, why not try and get them to host if you want something funny. Hell, Sam Pang is even a Liverpool fan.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

grazorblade - 24 May 2017 10:13 PM
Basheer is so bad I stream rather than watching the free coverage (or watch it on silent) because I have trouble staying awake during his commentary

Basheer was made to look like Martin Tyler last night
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 25 May 2017 8:10 AM
grazorblade - 24 May 2017 10:13 PM

Basheer was made to look like Martin Tyler last night

It is amusing to hear how Basheer is the worst thing ever, and the reason why SBS gets such woeful ratings, and then we are dished up with that tripe from the FTA provider most likely to take over the broadcast deal for the next six years.
Hellas Headbanger
Hellas Headbanger
Super Fan
Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)Super Fan (121 reputation)

Im a Liverpool fan, but im a South Melbourne fan first, so im glad I decided to skip watching this and instead watched the South Vs Dandenong City match.

If ABC were to win the football FTA rights, youd hope they do a better job than that. Sounds like it was worse than channel 7 back in the day.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro

do people still want the ABC to get the HAL over Ch 7 now? FMD. 
vincenzogold
vincenzogold
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

The coverage was that bad that my wife you never watches football or comments on anything while I watch it last night said this is the shortest coverage of a game I have heard.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Who wants a conspiracy theory?

Last night's production was created by an external production company (as most are these days) - that production company was JAM TV Australia (source)

Who is the chairman of JAM TV Australia? Why none other than football's greatest friend Eddie McGuire (source)

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Agree it was disgraceful coverage that denigrated football.

To have three clowns devoid of any pro football background or long standing media experience as hosts was abysmal.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
pippinu - 25 May 2017 8:45 AM
azzaMVFC - 25 May 2017 8:10 AM

It is amusing to hear how Basheer is the worst thing ever, and the reason why SBS gets such woeful ratings, and then we are dished up with that tripe from the FTA provider most likely to take over the broadcast deal for the next six years.

I don't mind Basheer.

He is brilliant compared to those three gormless goons last night on ABC 2.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

Decentric - 25 May 2017 9:53 AM

I don't mind Basheer.

I don't mind Basheer either. This whole idea about Bashing Basheer was brought up by Midfielder. He felt he was one of the reasons for poor ratings on SBS and he loves pushing that agenda. I think that's a big stretch he is the reason.

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

Decentric - 25 May 2017 9:53 AM

I don't mind Basheer.

I don't mind him either, when I watch the football, I'm watching it, the commentators are secondary.

I don't know of any sport where the people rave about the commentators.

It's a furphy blaming SBS' low ratings on the commentators.

However, it has to be said that last night's coverage was on another level again, although it was a meaningless game, so pointless worrying about it too much.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

vincenzogold - 25 May 2017 9:03 AM
The coverage was that bad that my wife you never watches football or comments on anything while I watch it last night said this is the shortest coverage of a game I have heard.

My wife thought the Asian bloke at half time was the work experience kid at Sydney FC
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

pippinu - 25 May 2017 7:52 AM
The ABC to be our FTA provider for the next six years,

I hadn't heard that the AFL is going to the ABC.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Even the FFA have complained lol:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155439507937728&substory_index=0&id=113534507727
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

pippinu - 25 May 2017 10:21 AM
I don't know of any sport where the people rave about the commentators.

Remember the time Hawke slammed that pint in front of two dozen blokes dressed as Simon Hill?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search