ABC2 slammed for ‘worst football coverage in the history of Australia’

ABC2 slammed for ‘worst football coverage in the history of Australia’...

Author
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
The coverage was on ABC Kids channel and it seemed like the three pregame hosts were from Playschool.
After enduring the most painful ten minutes of tv I can remember,I realised it was not going to improve and changed channels .
The timing of the game was a joke,the pregame was a joke,the game was a joke and SFC are a joke.
RIP Australian Football...If HAL teams are going to whore themseleves off to the highest bidder and play like donkeys,then they should dress for the occassion.
I thought FFA had some standards to avoid bringing the game into disrepute.Apparently not.
Edited
7 Years Ago by crimsoncrusoe
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

Good, so they bloody well should.

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

You know you've done a shit job when even the administrative organisation publicly complains about your coverage!
And Everyone Blamed Clive
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

paladisious - 25 May 2017 10:58 AM
pippinu - 25 May 2017 10:21 AM

Remember the time Hawke slammed that pint in front of two dozen blokes dressed as Simon Hill?

Richie Benaud perhaps

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

I can't wait to run into a family friend of mine at my cousins wedding in Sydney in a couple weeks, and ask him again, "What is your favourite possession?"
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I saw footage of the presenter wearing red and white and before he even spoke I knew exactly what we were in for

Australian team Sydney FC are playing in a big match and we have two panelists wearing Liverpool and the other one supporting Sydney Olympic for whatever reason

And whatever the hell that boundary rider near the Cove was supposed to represent with dumb questions and cutting back before they were even answered was cringeworthy

People don't want gimmicks, jokes or entertainment. Yes Santos, Sam and Ed were good but they weren't the sole source of the ins and outs, or half time coverage. This needs to be done professionally and with dignity

I think the answer for the FTA coverage is to just stream the Fox coverage, pre game, half time and post game.

soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

fuk you guys are dumb.

ABC have shown in past they are fine for broadcasting football. This wasn't even on the TV on any channel in the West. It was only streamable. ABC probably had it handed to them last minute. And the people it were handed it off to were cringey yes. But...and especially Chen...mocked the whole mickey mouse game for what it was. "Football is the winner". Lol...they were making fun of the usual tropes. They were passed this game because no one cared about this game and for good reason and treated it with the due respect it deserved. 

You're all real dumb for real. 
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

soil - 25 May 2017 12:45 PM
fuk you guys are dumb.

ABC have shown in past they are fine for broadcasting football. This wasn't even on the TV on any channel in the West. It was only streamable. ABC probably had it handed to them last minute. And the people it were handed it off to were cringey yes. But...and especially Chen...mocked the whole mickey mouse game for what it was. "Football is the winner". Lol...they were making fun of the usual tropes. They were passed this game because no one cared about this game and for good reason and treated it with the due respect it deserved. 

No.

-PB

soil
soil
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

paulbagzFC - 25 May 2017 12:57 PM

No.

-PB

Yes. 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

fuk you guys are dumb.

You are the only dumb one, how can you seriously defend that shit.
Edited
7 Years Ago by WSF
Volrath2002
Volrath2002
Rising Star
Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)Rising Star (931 reputation)

walnuts - 25 May 2017 9:39 AM
Who wants a conspiracy theory?

Last night's production was created by an external production company (as most are these days) - that production company was JAM TV Australia (source)

Who is the chairman of JAM TV Australia? Why none other than football's greatest friend Eddie McGuire (source)

This explains so much lol.

This was completely different to how the ABC does the W-League coverage and how they did the Asian Cup.

Canberra United - Member
KSV Hessen Kassel - Supporter
Lewes FC - Owner

redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

RDSA - 24 May 2017 11:00 PM

I didn't watch it but iirc the ABC's asian cup coverage was pretty good so wtf happened?

Maybe the just treated a mickey mouse friendly with the respect it deserves?

Exactly!
Neither team wanted to be there. It was a mickey mouse game where Liverpool rolled out a 40+ Steve McManaman. The games only purpose was to let 'pool supporters to see a few blokes in red, buy a scarf and sing YNWA.
I hope FFA made some cash, but Liverpool probably got more. The presenters and commentator should've done a better job so ABC could roll 'em out for the next bit of fluff they show.

sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I suppose one positive is that any news is good news for the game ... as much as they struggle to get into mainstream media, at least this is doing the rounds and sure it trended well!!
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

sokorny - 25 May 2017 3:19 PM
I suppose one positive is that any news is good news for the game ... as much as they struggle to get into mainstream media, at least this is doing the rounds and sure it trended well!!

I don't think the saying any publicity is good publicity is true in this instance.
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Didn't Eddie McGuires company JAM produce the Asian Cup?
sokorny
sokorny
Pro

City Sam - 25 May 2017 3:21 PM
sokorny - 25 May 2017 3:19 PM

I don't think the saying any publicity is good publicity is true in this instance.

Well it isn't about the game per se ... so the game of soccer still comes out ok :)
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Footballer - 25 May 2017 3:26 PM
Didn't Eddie McGuires company JAM produce the Asian Cup?

McGuire actually comes from a football loving family.  His old man is Scottish and is a passionate fan of one of the Glascow sides (at a guess, I'd say they are Bhoys).
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

pippinu - 25 May 2017 3:32 PM
Footballer - 25 May 2017 3:26 PM

McGuire actually comes from a football loving family.  His old man is Scottish and is a passionate fan of one of the Glascow sides (at a guess, I'd say they are Bhoys).

Cheers for the family history update Eddie
pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

walnuts - 25 May 2017 3:35 PM
pippinu - 25 May 2017 3:32 PM

Cheers for the family history update Eddie

I have far more wealth than Eddie.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend

pippinu - 25 May 2017 3:40 PM
walnuts - 25 May 2017 3:35 PM

I have far more wealth than Eddie.

Good for you champ.
milan_7
milan_7
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

I actually think that Chen bloke would have been reasonably funny if you knew who he was and it was obvious it was satire, if say Sam Pang or Ed Kavalee were crossed to and did a skit where they cut people off and asked stupid questions they probably could have pulled it off but when I watched that there was a period where I wasn't even sure if he was meant to be as shit as he was.
Aus Football Fan
Aus Football Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Didnt chen say he wasnt even a football fan
World Class

sounds like it was appropriate to the occasion

Winner of Official 442 Comment of the day Award -  10th April 2017

Ultimate
Ultimate
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

‘I’m sorry’: ABC2’s sideline reporter responds to critics

The night was topped by an ultra-painful moment when Chen asked a fan what his favourite “possession” was before sheepishly covering himself by saying, “I’ve been possessed with the spirit of football. I love it, I bet you love it at home, too.”Chen copped it on Twitter from livid supporters asking if he’d “won a raffle” to be there. Some fans reportedly threatened to self-harm if they had to sit through another minute of the broadcast.Empire of the Kop, a Liverpool fan page on Twitter with nearly 1.6 million followers, tweeted Chen’s video on the sidelines with the caption “WHAT IN GOD’S NAME IS THIS?!”

Chen responded to his critics in typical fashion in an interview with Will and MJ on Chen responded to his critics in typical fashion in an interview with Will and MJ on .“I’m actually a big fan of snoccer (sic),” he said. “I love the game. A lot of people will say I was trolling but that’s not true. I was there in 2008 when Australia qualified for the 2009 World Cup against Uzbekestan.“If I could afford it I would love to be a Sydney supporter and sit in the caves. I love snoccer, man.”Chen was blasted by Les Murray and Robbie Slater for his “unacceptable” coverage. He didn’t fret, however, but simply offered a poem to the disgruntled football experts.“I would love to do a poem about how I feel about Lee Murdoch and Robin Slacker,” he said. “Robin Slacker I’m your number one backer, Lee Murdoch you’re my hero and I love you.”Chen left a message for anyone wanting to “harm themselves” after watching his commentary. “Please, if anyone wants to do anything dangerous to themselves because of the coverage last night, I’m so sorry. If you need to call me please message me on Facebook and I’ll give you my number immediately — that’s the poem.”Chen left his haters one last message, apologising to the entire country. “I’m sorry Australia, you’re quite nice. If I could be there with you I’d love to, twice.”The nuclear reaction after his skit wasn’t all bad for Chen. Some fans saw the funny side of his hopeless reporting and came to his defence. “The half time commentator for the Liverpool v Sydney game was awesome! We need more of that. Awesome comic relief in a friendly game,” one user tweeted..“Like many fans, FFA is disappointed with some aspects of the ABC’s broadcast of the Sydney FC v Liverpool FC match last night,” A-League’s official twitter account tweeted.“Pre-game, halftime & post-game coverage wasn’t to standard expected by FFA and football fans. We’ve made that point to ABC management.”The ABC said they will reconsider offering coverage of that style in the future.“The ABC was proud to broadcast the Liverpool FC versus Sydney FC last night at short notice, making it available to all Australians,” an ABC spokesman said via The Daily Telegraph.“While the game coverage and commentary was excellent, our decision to create a different offering for the pre-game, halftime and post-game coverage, was not supported by all football fans and we will consider this feedback for any future sporting events.”

“I’m actually a big fan of snoccer (sic),” he said. “I love the game. A lot of people will say I was trolling but that’s not true. I was there in 2008 when Australia qualified for the 2009 World Cup against Uzbekestan.
“If I could afford it I would love to be a Sydney supporter and sit in the caves. I love snoccer, man.”
Chen was blasted by Les Murray and Robbie Slater for his “unacceptable” coverage. He didn’t fret, however, but simply offered a poem to the disgruntled football experts.
“I would love to do a poem about how I feel about Lee Murdoch and Robin Slacker,” he said. “Robin Slacker I’m your number one backer, Lee Murdoch you’re my hero and I love you.”
Chen left a message for anyone wanting to “harm themselves” after watching his commentary. “Please, if anyone wants to do anything dangerous to themselves because of the coverage last night, I’m so sorry. If you need to call me please message me on Facebook and I’ll give you my number immediately — that’s the poem.”
Chen left his haters one last message, apologising to the entire country. “I’m sorry Australia, you’re quite nice. If I could be there with you I’d love to, twice.”
The nuclear reaction after his skit wasn’t all bad for Chen. Some fans saw the funny side of his hopeless reporting and came to his defence. “The half time commentator for the Liverpool v Sydney game was awesome! We need more of that. Awesome comic relief in a friendly game,” one user tweeted.
 the half time commentator for the Liverpool v Sydney game was awesome! We need more of that. Awesome comic relief in a friendly game!
@ABC2@ABC2 the half time commentator for the Liverpool v Sydney game was awesome! We need more of that. Awesome comic relief in a friendly game!

“Like many fans, FFA is disappointed with some aspects of the ABC’s broadcast of the Sydney FC v Liverpool FC match last night,” A-League’s official twitter account tweeted.
“Pre-game, halftime & post-game coverage wasn’t to standard expected by FFA and football fans. We’ve made that point to ABC management.”
The ABC said they will reconsider offering coverage of that style in the future.
“The ABC was proud to broadcast the Liverpool FC versus Sydney FC last night at short notice, making it available to all Australians,” an ABC spokesman said via The Daily Telegraph.
“While the game coverage and commentary was excellent, our decision to create a different offering for the pre-game, halftime and post-game coverage, was not supported by all football fans and we will consider this feedback for any future sporting events.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/im-sorry-abc2s-infamous-sideline-reporter-responds-to-critics/news-story/58c1806ec71fdf5256867ab52cffc669
Im not even...
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Defund the ABC. 

SWandP
SWandP
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

We might rule the world at this game known as snoccer.  Needs to be different from football though. Firstly, let everybody use their hands and then add about another dozen players to the field.  Make the goal scoring area stretch up to outer space and give say 100 points for a goal and about 12 for near misses.  Get some of the ABC clowns to dress up and make funny dance moves everytime somebody scores. 

Should be a winner.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

So this Chen guy. Is he supposed to be funny?

So far all I can see is pretending to misunderstand names and words. No satire. No class. No wit. Just acting stupid

If that's the peak of his act he really needs to consider another career

pippinu
pippinu
World Class

The 2009 world cup.

Obviously an intentional error, not really funny, but he'd have to know enough to make such an obvious error.

Meh, who cares.,
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend

pippinu - 25 May 2017 7:13 PM
The 2009 world cup.

Obviously an intentional error, not really funny, but he'd have to know enough to make such an obvious error.

Meh, who cares.,

If this was an AFL game there'd be a Royal Commission.

-PB

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

bluebird - 25 May 2017 7:06 PM
So this Chen guy. Is he supposed to be funny?

So far all I can see is pretending to misunderstand names and words. No satire. No class. No wit. Just acting stupid

If that's the peak of his act he really needs to consider another career

Trying to but failing hard. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search