Vukovic off to Genk

Vukovic off to Genk

Author
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Leading Belgian club Genk zeroes in on former Perth Glory goal keeper Danny Vukovic
Dale Miller
Wednesday, 21 June 2017 10:00AM

Former Perth Glory goal keeper Danny Vukovic is close to securing a move to Europe in a massive reward for a career-best A-League season.

The 32-year-old is understood to be in advanced discussions to join Belgian first-division club Genk in what would be a huge boost to his national selection hopes.

The West Australian understands talks have revolved around a three-year deal.

Vukovic’s stocks have soared following an outstanding domestic season at championship winners Sydney FC.

He was the defensive linchpin of a record-breaking team that conceded only 13 goals all season.

The Sky Blues lost just one game in amassing an A-League record points tally.

The experienced stopper, who played 106 A-League games at Glory over four seasons, is contracted with the Sky Blues for the 2017-18 season.

However, they are not expected to stand in the way of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

A Sydney source has confirmed the champions are seeking a transfer fee of close to $1 million. Socceroos keeper Mat Ryan has flown the flag for
Australia in Europe for the past two years, playing firstly for Valencia in La Liga and then on loan to Genk.

Ryan has now agreed to a transfer move to newly promoted English Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion.

Vukovic’s heroics led to his call-up to the 30-man Socceroos squad for the 3-2 World Cup qualifying win over Saudi Arabia in Adelaide two weeks ago.

“I want to continue improving as a goalkeeper and take my game to the highest level I can,” Vukovic said last month.

“For now I’m just delighted to be selected in the 30.

“Twelve months ago if you said I’d even be considered for a Socceroos squad I wouldn’t have believed it for a second. And yes, if one day I am able to tell my son I played in the World Cup that would be wonderful.”

His original move to Sydney was to seek family support and medical treatment for his son Harley, who had a liver transplant earlier this year.

Vukovic credited Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold and goalkeeping coach John Crawley for helping rebuild his confidence.

source

BRFC_92
BRFC_92
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

walnuts - 21 Jun 2017 11:16 AM
Leading Belgian club Genk zeroes in on former Perth Glory goal keeper Danny Vukovic
Dale Miller
Wednesday, 21 June 2017 10:00AM

Former Perth Glory goal keeper Danny Vukovic is close to securing a move to Europe in a massive reward for a career-best A-League season.

The 32-year-old is understood to be in advanced discussions to join Belgian first-division club Genk in what would be a huge boost to his national selection hopes.

The West Australian understands talks have revolved around a three-year deal.

Vukovic’s stocks have soared following an outstanding domestic season at championship winners Sydney FC.

He was the defensive linchpin of a record-breaking team that conceded only 13 goals all season.

The Sky Blues lost just one game in amassing an A-League record points tally.

The experienced stopper, who played 106 A-League games at Glory over four seasons, is contracted with the Sky Blues for the 2017-18 season.

However, they are not expected to stand in the way of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

A Sydney source has confirmed the champions are seeking a transfer fee of close to $1 million. Socceroos keeper Mat Ryan has flown the flag for
Australia in Europe for the past two years, playing firstly for Valencia in La Liga and then on loan to Genk.

Ryan has now agreed to a transfer move to newly promoted English Premier League club Brighton and Hove Albion.

Vukovic’s heroics led to his call-up to the 30-man Socceroos squad for the 3-2 World Cup qualifying win over Saudi Arabia in Adelaide two weeks ago.

“I want to continue improving as a goalkeeper and take my game to the highest level I can,” Vukovic said last month.

“For now I’m just delighted to be selected in the 30.

“Twelve months ago if you said I’d even be considered for a Socceroos squad I wouldn’t have believed it for a second. And yes, if one day I am able to tell my son I played in the World Cup that would be wonderful.”

His original move to Sydney was to seek family support and medical treatment for his son Harley, who had a liver transplant earlier this year.

Vukovic credited Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold and goalkeeping coach John Crawley for helping rebuild his confidence.

source

Would be a great move if he plays.
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

#product

ARNIE= LEGEND

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Hope it isn't a strain on his family with all the stuff they've been through. Wish him all the best!
DinosMum
DinosMum
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

I doubt he would move his son if the medical professionals advised against it. He knows exactly what it took to keep his son alive, I can't imagine any father risking their kid for trip to Europe
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Genk:

Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search