Hyundai A-league attendance Season 2017/18

Hyundai A-league attendance Season 2017/18

Author
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Seen some in game pics, I'd say just a shade over 9k is believable. and if it isn't they have done far worse fudge jobs in the past.
imonfourfourtwo
imonfourfourtwo
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Definitely around 9k last night, no issue at all with that number,
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

In any case lol at JoFFA. Was 4k off. 

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Yeh 13k is a crazy prediction, don't think it's ever happened outside of when villa played once and one of the del piero visits.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

southmelb - 7 Oct 2017 1:16 PM
Yeh 13k is a crazy prediction, don't think it's ever happened outside of when villa played once and one of the del piero visits.

Would have been their 4th highest non derby league crowd in history or thereabouts. 

I thought I was being generous calling 8k but 9k has me beat there. Happy with that. MC's growth trajectory is about 500 a game per season
Edited
7 Years Ago by bohemia
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

lol some people have too much time on their hands:

https://m.facebook.com/GreenSeatElite/
Monfries7
Monfries7
Under 7s
Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)Under 7s (23 reputation)

F3 Derby crowd looking good, strong away support
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

CCM v Jets 12,044
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

Waz - 7 Oct 2017 7:11 PM
CCM v Jets 12,044

Looked a bit more than that.  Only 60% full ?
Waz
Waz
Legend

Big Blue 24, 804
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Anyone think the precarious situation the Socceroos are in is maybe having an impact? As in they have captured the publics attention more then these games? Timing isnt great, same goes for our cup game on Wednesday was mentioned on commentary a couple times tonight but aside from that not a peep anywhere.
Edited
7 Years Ago by southmelb
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

southmelb - 7 Oct 2017 10:58 PM
Anyone think the precarious situation the Socceroos are in is maybe having an impact? As in they have captured the publics attention more then these games? Timing isnt great, same goes for our cup game on Wednesday was mentioned on commentary a couple times tonight but aside from that not a peep anywhere.

Socceroos might have an impact, don't think the FFA Cup does. It was just really flat tonight - and that's no surprise seeing there was zero build up to the A-League.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Yeh and the already limited buildup has been further split in half, if the Roos had already qualified 100% of the attention would be on the start of the A league, as it stands they have scooped away half the coverage with the pair of Syria games.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 7 Oct 2017 7:36 PM
Waz - 7 Oct 2017 7:11 PM

Looked a bit more than that.  Only 60% full ?

Looked a little light on - but not that much. Eastern side upper deck was not that full. Kudos to the Jets who brought the biggest contingent they have for years.    

Waz
Waz
Legend

I think the crowds are coming in pretty much as expected; the optimistic pre--round forecasts were for over 70k, the pessimistic for between 60 to 70k

I looked back at my (pesemistic) forecast and apart from CCM I'm on the money with the other two:

City v Roar - 9,500 (9,589 actual)
CCM v Jets - 8,500 (12,044)
MV v Syd - 25,000 (24,804)
Well v Ade - 6,000
WSW v Perth - 12,500

Total: 61,500 my forecast but coming in at 64,937 at an average of 12,900, but if the remaining two fixtures can find an extra 5k between them the numbers won't be bad.

The ffa were hoping for a bumper BB crowd but it looks like even MV fans have tired of it, probably time to shift that one back to AAMI or a better date at Docklands

I think crowds will be subdued this year as there's no added umph to get people to go more often, it's not one thing it's many - socceroos, Fifa, Gallop/lowy, no marketing etc.

Whether overall average crowds go up or down this season will be determined by the big 4 drawing clubs - the two Sydney sides, Victory and Roar.

Jets offer the biggest upside but even if they got a 50% boost in averages that would still leave them 2k short of last seasons 4th best pulling side.

AU and Glory also offer some upside but AUs last years crowd to the championship year was only down 1,600 so there's limited room for improvement.

And if AU, Glory and Jets crowds go up it'll be because they're doing well on the ladder, and if they're doing well one or more of the big 4 drawing clubs won't be so any gains will be offset in lower crowds elsewhere.

The FFAs strategy in recent years has been to promote showcase games, I think that's worked well but only for showcase games and has come at the expense of crowd growth elsewhere - SFC are a case in point 14k in Allianz is not the same experience as a derby so Arnie ends up begging

TEN may hurt crowds as well. Saturday night games are typically the big drawing games but how many didn't go last night because it was on FTA?

I don't think there's any need to panic just yet, but there's a strong possibility average crowds will dip under 12k this season but still be maintaining their strong core. For next season a thorough review is needed by people who know football and not the ffa with their cheesy, ineffective marketing approach, otherwise the gentle slide will continue.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Waz
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I think the crowds this season will be a vindication of what everyone has been saying here. The A-league is stale and declining unless something is done to renew interest. No amount of gimmicky marketing (which I think the FFA didn't even do this season) will make up for the mediocre and repetitive product on show. 

Even personally this is the least excited I've been for an A-league season in a long time, I know many others feel the same. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by 433
JoyfulPenguin
JoyfulPenguin
Rising Star
Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)Rising Star (853 reputation)

Group: Moderators
433 - 8 Oct 2017 1:26 PM
I think the crowds this season will be a vindication of what everyone has been saying here. The A-league is stale and declining unless something is done to renew interest. No amount of gimmicky marketing (which I think the FFA didn't even do this season) will make up for the mediocre and repetitive product on show. 

Even personally this is the least excited I've been for an A-league season in a long time, I know many others feel the same. 

Personally I'm really excited by this A-League season by each to their own I guess, while I would definitely prefer more expansion sides and a second division I don't really think the HAL is that stale as so many claim.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Wellington v Adelaide: a very creative "8154"
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

bohemia - 8 Oct 2017 4:42 PM
Wellington v Adelaide: a very creative "8154"

honestly seemed like more than that.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class

Wellington is the hardest to call, a crowd announced as 4K, 8k and 12k can still manage to look the same lol.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

southmelb - 8 Oct 2017 6:16 PM
Wellington is the hardest to call, a crowd announced as 4K, 8k and 12k can still manage to look the same lol.

Because they are all the same. They're all 4k
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class

Gotta be at least 15k at the Wanderers game.
Waz
Waz
Legend

12,223 at wanderers
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

66,814 attendance for the week
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

City Sam - 8 Oct 2017 7:44 PM

At an average of 13,363 per game, with some big rounds still to come.
Oblivious Troll
Oblivious Troll
Rising Star
Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)Rising Star (767 reputation)

City Sam - 8 Oct 2017 7:44 PM

13363 average

Its a game for everyone. Its not pale, male, or stale. It transcends race, gender, economic status. Its for everyone. - Tal Karp

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Davo1985 - 6 Oct 2017 2:17 PM
MCMH - 4 Oct 2017 2:51 PM

Reckon you could be pretty close with those predictions minus the WSW game. Will definitely be lower. Ppl think WSW get big crowds because of their membership base but if you dig deep you will see they normally ever get around 12k for their spotless stadium games.

Yep thought so. Wsw always in syd fc shadow.
MCMH
MCMH
Hacker
Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)Hacker (378 reputation)

The biggest shortfall in the A-League are the stadiums
City should have 12.5k stadium
Wellington 11k
Perths about 5k too many but bearable
MVC perfect at AAMI
WSW was perfect at Parra, 30k seems too much 23k is the sweet-spot for them IMO
Syd 20k
Adelaide perfect at hindmarsh
CCM needs to be a 10k stadium
Newcastle 12k 
Brisbane 22k
Waz
Waz
Legend

That's an okay opening round. Only the Big Blue was low but if the FFAs going to steal the big names ...
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Waz - 8 Oct 2017 7:41 PM
12,223 at wanderers

Source? I can't find it anywhere.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search