Australia vs Syria

Australia vs Syria

Author
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Funarch - 8 Sep 2017 6:25 PM
nomates - 8 Sep 2017 6:08 PM

But unfair, really. There will be several much stronger teams from Europe and South America missing out... Hence that's why FIFA decided to change the format and there will be 48 teams at the WC in 2026 which will most likely be hosted by USA, Canada + Mexico (Trump is supporting it)

It will be 48 teams simply to make more money for more people. 
Razor Ramon
Razor Ramon
Rising Star
Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)Rising Star (826 reputation)

Funarch - 11 Sep 2017 6:21 PM
wet season, cow paddock... are you guys preparing excuses for another clumsy-roos  performance?...

clumsy roos? More like Bludgeroos lol

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Looks like the away leg may be in Abu Dhabi now.

In many ways this is better for the Socceroos, better facilities, less humidity, average nightly lows of 23 in October, relatively short, direct flights for our players from Europe and elsewhere and again to Sydney for the home leg. Most importantly we beat a better UAE there this campaign.
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 4:48 AM
Looks like the away leg may be in Abu Dhabi now.

In many ways this is better for the Socceroos, better facilities, less humidity, average nightly lows of 23 in October, relatively short, direct flights for our players from Europe and elsewhere and again to Sydney for the home leg. Most importantly we beat a better UAE there this campaign.

How well served is Kuala Lumpur these days anyway? I mean there are flights but UAE is really the world hub these days. Good pitch. I'm totally fine with this. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

johnszasz - 12 Sep 2017 5:41 AM
paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 4:48 AM

How well served is Kuala Lumpur these days anyway? I mean there are flights but UAE is really the world hub these days. Good pitch. I'm totally fine with this. 

Plenty of direct flights to Australian cities from KL, but I'd imagine not quite as many from Europe, plus it'd be a longer flight.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Syria's Omar Khribin is into the ACL semis with Al Hilal after defeating Al Ain.
The other guy Somah will probably get through with Al Ahli as well.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 6:42 AM
johnszasz - 12 Sep 2017 5:41 AM

Plenty of direct flights to Australian cities from KL, but I'd imagine not quite as many from Europe, plus it'd be a longer flight.

there's heaps of direct flghts to KL from europe.  ive flown from KL to paris before direct.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

inala brah - 12 Sep 2017 7:27 AM
paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 6:42 AM

there's heaps of direct flghts to KL from europe.  ive flown from KL to paris before direct.

Longer though.
Edited
7 Years Ago by paladisious
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Bitedge - 11 Sep 2017 9:33 PM
Funarch - 8 Sep 2017 6:25 PM

It will be 48 teams simply to make more money for more people. 

48 teams is a disgrace, if Australia can now barely make the World Cup then an extra 16 teams is going to turn the greatest sporting event on the planet into an extremely low quality tournament.  
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 12 Sep 2017 12:48 PM

48 teams is a disgrace, if Australia can now barely make the World Cup then an extra 16 teams is going to turn the greatest sporting event on the planet into an extremely low quality tournament.  

disagree... will allow more countries to get World Cup Fever.
No one says the FA Cup is poor quality and it has non league teams playing. I think it will add a bit more magic rather than seeing the same top teams play each other again.
There will surely be a "smokey" team that has a good run and creates a bit of outside interest.
Most of the top teams should make the latter stages but someone (like England) will no doubt lose to a much lower ranked team and make life interesting.
Magic of the Cup !

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

miron mercedes - 12 Sep 2017 12:58 PM

disagree... will allow more countries to get World Cup Fever.
No one says the FA Cup is poor quality and it has non league teams playing. I think it will add a bit more magic rather than seeing the same top teams play each other again.
There will surely be a "smokey" team that has a good run and creates a bit of outside interest.
Most of the top teams should make the latter stages but someone (like England) will no doubt lose to a much lower ranked team and make life interesting.
Magic of the Cup !

Bah!  

Who's travelling to Russia, for example, to see possibly only 2 games?

Lose the first one and you're effectively out.

8 groups of 5 with the top 2 qualifying for the round of 16 would have been more the go.  Would make the tournament 2 days longer but far more interesting.

Could actually lose a match or 2 and still make it.  More of the squad would get a run etc etc.

Member since 2008.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 12 Sep 2017 1:11 PM

Bah!  

Who's travelling to Russia, for example, to see possibly only 2 games?

Lose the first one and you're effectively out.

8 groups of 5 with the top 2 qualifying for the round of 16 would have been more the go.  Would make the tournament 2 days longer but far more interesting.

Could actually lose a match or 2 and still make it.  More of the squad would get a run etc etc.

All for expanding the WC but as you say the groups of three idea is retarded.

I'd say simply keep it as groups of four; twelve groups, with the winners and four of the best runners up progressing and the same knockout stage.

Also, world qualifiers.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 4:31 PM

All for expanding the WC but as you say the groups of three idea is retarded.

I'd say simply keep it as groups of four; twelve groups, with the winners and four of the best runners up progressing and the same knockout stage.

Also, world qualifiers.

Yeah I see no reason to change the current group stage format. If its not broke etc...

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

clifton
clifton
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)

George_Worst - 11 Sep 2017 8:44 PM
I get where a lot of the Jedinak criticism comes from, too slow, doesn't pass forward enough etc. Technically he isn't a great fit for Ange ball. But... am I the only one who feels like we could have used his leadership in our last two ties? The man is a beast and has a real presence both on an off the pitch. I would happily have him at DM for our Syria games. Move Millsy to RB and get as much experience on the pitch as possible. 

No-one called him a beast until he grew a beard.
Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)

No. There would be too many dead rubbers. Nobody wants dead rubbers in a World Cup.  You can't expect fans to buy expensive tickets months ahead, fly across the world for a match that doesn't count anymore. 

Edited
7 Years Ago by Funarch
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend

paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 7:29 AM
inala brah - 12 Sep 2017 7:27 AM

Longer though.

it was a shit flight tbh.  but i much prefer stopping in south east asia over the middle east. im gonna motorbike the whole fkn trek one day.

should be a better venue for us to play in.  shame that it will be on later at night.

Edited
7 Years Ago by inala brah
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

inala brah - 12 Sep 2017 7:14 PM
paladisious - 12 Sep 2017 7:29 AM

it was a shit flight tbh.  but i much prefer stopping in south east asia over the middle east. im gonna motorbike the whole fkn trek one day.

should be a better venue for us to play in.  shame that it will be on later at night.

Definitely agree on preferring a stopover in South East Asia over the Middle East, but then again I was hardly going to play football lol
clifton
clifton
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)Hardcore Fan (177 reputation)

From Syria Football Facebook page.... (obviously translated)

to host our meeting with Australia in the annex to determine the fifth Asia in the World Cup qualifiers .. Our page was not absent from the event, but we did not want to disrupt the follow-up, so we waited until things were resolved ..Now and formally .. 
Malaysia will host the meeting of Syria and Australia in the Asian leg forward

Funarch
Funarch
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)Hardcore Fan (192 reputation)

LOVE THE RANT!!! 

USA in the same position. Fired a good German coach and replaced him with a fat local. Now struggling!!! 

No more pussy journalism! Put on the pressure!
Edited
7 Years Ago by Funarch
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend

clifton - 12 Sep 2017 8:24 PM
From Syria Football Facebook page.... (obviously translated)

to host our meeting with Australia in the annex to determine the fifth Asia in the World Cup qualifiers .. Our page was not absent from the event, but we did not want to disrupt the follow-up, so we waited until things were resolved ..Now and formally .. 
Malaysia will host the meeting of Syria and Australia in the Asian leg forward

It better not be played on a goat track.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

The Fans
The Fans
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

inala brah - 11 Sep 2017 9:01 PM
George_Worst - 11 Sep 2017 8:44 PM

should be a starting centre back with milligan in midfield.

fwiw i'd like to ange follow guardiola's lead in the formation.

--------------sainsbury------------jedinak------------wilkinson
-----------------------------------milligandinho
leckie-----------------rogic---------------------mooy-----------gersbach/behich
---------------------juric/cahill-----------maclaren/troisi/taggart

having 2 at the front with a target man and a pacey workhorse/poacher would be sweet.  

if the AL was in season I would also like santalab or maybe brosque be bought in instead of a young'un this time.  considering we struggle to score goals.  

I don't understand how members of this forum can pick such functional teams but ange can't. 
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Garb now tweeting that Mallaca (?) in Malaysia is all but locked in. I am not sure which scenario (Malaysia or ME) I'd prefer. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

George_Worst - 13 Sep 2017 6:43 PM
Garb now tweeting that Mallaca (?) in Malaysia is all but locked in. I am not sure which scenario (Malaysia or ME) I'd prefer. 

Syria played a couple of their qualifiers at Hang Jebat Stadium in Malacca:

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

I'd like to see more teams. I like seeing intercontinental  competition.

The problem is that 16 pools of 3 teams means 2 games isn't enough for a WC appearance.

It is axiomatic within coaching and playing circles  that international competition is much more even now than it was in the past. The top 10 teams are often a bit better, and usually only one of about 6 of the top countries are serious contenders for winning the WC, but there isn't  much in between the next 50 teams.
Bitedge
Bitedge
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)Hardcore Fan (280 reputation)

I tried to look up info about the Syrian team and most of the articles concentrate on politics more than football so I did a bit of basic research from the football perspective.

I started by checking where the players play their club football and comparing that with the Australian team. As per

https://bitedge.com/blog/who-are-the-syrian-national-soccer-team/

All but 1 of Syria’s 29-man squad play in Syria and the surrounding countries. The 1 exception plays in China. Syria has 2 players playing in countries whose national team is likely to make the World Cup (Saudi Arabia, full list for Syria and Australia in link).

Another fun football fact is that they would have been eliminated if they had not scored decisive goals in injury time in 4 of their last 5 World Cup qualification games!

This combined with Syria having no home game and Australia having 2nd leg home advantage makes me confident in the Socceroos chances. However, the worst mistake anyone can make is underestimating the opponent.
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Bitedge - 19 Sep 2017 10:31 AM
I tried to look up info about the Syrian team and most of the articles concentrate on politics more than football so I did a bit of basic research from the football perspective.

I started by checking where the players play their club football and comparing that with the Australian team. As per

https://bitedge.com/blog/who-are-the-syrian-national-soccer-team/

All but 1 of Syria’s 29-man squad play in Syria and the surrounding countries. The 1 exception plays in China. Syria has 2 players playing in countries whose national team is likely to make the World Cup (Saudi Arabia, full list for Syria and Australia in link).

Another fun football fact is that they would have been eliminated if they had not scored decisive goals in injury time in 4 of their last 5 World Cup qualification games!

This combined with Syria having no home game and Australia having 2nd leg home advantage makes me confident in the Socceroos chances. However, the worst mistake anyone can make is underestimating the opponent.

I hope A-League scouts are watching. Syria didn't get this far for nothing.
There would be a lot of quality players who'd be more than capable of playing in the A-League and doing well. Wouldn't cost clubs much either.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Sep 2017 10:50 AM
Bitedge - 19 Sep 2017 10:31 AM

I hope A-League scouts are watching. Syria didn't get this far for nothing.
There would be a lot of quality players who'd be more than capable of playing in the A-League and doing well. Wouldn't cost clubs much either.

Replacement for Bes pls Victory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Al_Somah

azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

433 - 19 Sep 2017 11:41 AM
azzaMVFC - 19 Sep 2017 10:50 AM

Replacement for Bes pls Victory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Al_Somah

haha the league would probably be able to go for anyone but him. Would be on a few mill a year over there.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

azzaMVFC - 19 Sep 2017 12:27 PM
433 - 19 Sep 2017 11:41 AM

haha the league would probably be able to go for anyone but him. Would be on a few mill a year over there.

One can wish lol
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Anyone else having trouble buying tickets? I can't buy two next to each other, let alone the six I want. 

Exact same issue I had for the A-League GF, except this time I know there is zero chance its close to selling out.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search