How much do the other football codes (especially AFL), truly fear the rise of football in Australia?...

How much do the other football codes (especially AFL), truly fear the...

Author
Seb 1968
Super Fan
Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MarkfromCroydon - 19 Nov 2017 10:49 PM
Sebr1968 - 18 Nov 2017 4:58 PM

Growing up and living most of my life in Victoria, I can only really speak on AFL.

As far as I can see, it's not only an issue of the AFL being fearful of football, but rather it is part of the whole culture of Aussie Rules that football must be denigrated.

As kids growing up in the 70's and 80's in Victoria, we were taught/indoctrinated by our families (those with anglo celtic backgrounds), the anglophile media and wider cultural interactions that this Victorian sport of Aussie Rules was the 'be all and end all' of sports, and nothing else could come close to it, except maybe cricket over summer. That attitude was all pervasive. Part of going along with that was having to eschew any support for 'foreign sports' including sokkah, and for Victorians, that also included  'Rugby' (as both union and league were referred to). Shit, I didn't even know there were 2 rugby codes til I was about 20.

It seems to me, supporting Aussie Rules and criticising other sports actually had a lot to do with defining a 'cultural identity' of what it meant to be Victorian, and Australian, and I'm assuming the same thing occurred with Aussie Rules in TAS, WA, SA and Rugby League in NSW, Qld. I reckon both Ausse Rules and Rugby League actively encouraged denigration of sokkah as the outsiders sport, what with all those new australians playing it and ethnic clubs. I reckon that a lot of this was heightened from the 1950's-60's as part of the backlash to the post war migration boom which brought so many greeks, italians, croatians etc to melbourne, and I'm extrapolating that to other cities. Tell me if I'm wrong. 

The AFL and NRL were still generally semi professional and suburban without national competitions, up until the 1990's. Before that time, I don't think it was so much 'fear' of other sports from an economic point of view, but as I've said above, a cultural cringe, a part backlash/fear response against post war migration, and the need for each state/major city/area to validate it's own culture and say we are better than elsewhere, and our unique homegrown sport is part of that, therefore that sport must be better than other sports. This last point is particularly the case in the "Who's better, Sydney/Melbourne?" argument that used to always be talked about. 

As such, I genuinely believe that it became part of the psyche of those following those sports that they should talk down sokkah. I reckon this is the case even with people that were exposed to football as kids. I'm sure everyone in their 40's onwards knows someone who as a kid of migrants didn't follow football like their dad, but became an avid AFL/NRL fan, and now criticise the round ball game. 

I think that after the AFL and NRL became professional and national, yes, there was a more heightened commercial imperative to suppress football, and of course, a degree of genuine fear that football will take some revenue and support away from their sports. I think that has only increased since the A league and the socceroos continued qualification for world cups. It has also become incredibly sophisticated and well disguised.

Thanks for your detailed reply, that was a good read.

I'm from New South Wales (Sydney to be precise), and yes growing up as a kid (I'm 49 now), in the 70's and 80's Rugby League ruled supreme, with football (soccer) derided as "wog ball" or a "poofters/sissy's game" (which is ridiculous as the modern game was invented in England, and spread around the world by Englishmen and the Scots). Before I started playing junior football back in 1977, I was considering playing Rugby League, but fortunately my late father stopped me, he knew how dangerous and unhealthy Rugby League is, and for that I am eternally grateful to my father.

What's truly ironic about Sydney, is that among boys, teenagers, men, and some women, football (at the amateur participant level), rules supreme, if you drive through most of Sydney, you will see mostly football/cricket fields, with very few Rugby League/Union fields and even fewer AFL ovals, yet most of these amateur football players follow an NRL team, not an A-League team.

The Bogan mainstream media definitely don't help football's cause, with their "selective reporting" on football violence, eg. a couple of fans have a fight/or light a flare at a football match and it gets reported as a full blown "riot", yet hundreds of drunk yobbos get ejected from a cricket one day game, and it gets reported as just a few drunks, having a little too much to drink. Back in the 1980's when I used to attend one day cricket games at the SCG, there would be dozens of drunk (often violent) yobbos ejected, yet the mainstream media played it down.

Since the reform of football in Australia in the mid 2000's, the mainstream media has been a bit better towards football, but then you have the Rebeca Wilson saga from late 2015.

My view is that the Bogan mainstream media's hatred of football comes from a few factors like racism (because football is popular with wogs), but I am of the view that your typical bogan hates football because it's simply not violent enough (in comparison to NRL and AFL). I hate to say it, but human beings get their jollies watching other people getting hurt eg. look how excited an NRL/AFL crowd gets when a brawl breaks out.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Sebr1968
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Well I saw this article today

Next stop for International Rules? USA Test - AFL.com.au

Thats an official site article saying they will play mongrel AFL in Boston or Phillie because there are Irish decedents there. 

Whats the point?
Will be a massive media ordeal for the southern states. Everything from players eating hot dogs to visiting an NFL game and comparing who is tougher I guess. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Eating hotdogs and NFL matches... Sounds Like their offseason media articles already.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

bigpoppa - 20 Nov 2017 7:24 AM
Eating hotdogs and NFL matches... Sounds Like their offseason media articles already.

It is just bizarre to me. 

Sure I can understand if they play the hybrid sport in Australia or Ireland, if at all. But why would you take that game international?
Its not even supporting their own sport. 

Can you imagine a fan tourist that goes there? What do they say?
"Yeah nah, well Im not exactly sure of every rule, but its like footy. Yeah nah, we dont play this game nor do the Irish. There are no clubs that play this sport. Yeah now that I think about, its just 40 guys from 2 different sports running around. One team wins but we dont really know if they are playing well because this game is only played 2 times per year on planet Earth"

The Port game in China makes more sense.....
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
azzaMVFC
azzaMVFC
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

scott21 - 20 Nov 2017 7:16 AM
Well I saw this article today

Next stop for International Rules? USA Test - AFL.com.au

Thats an official site article saying they will play mongrel AFL in Boston or Phillie because there are Irish decedents there. 

Whats the point?
Will be a massive media ordeal for the southern states. Everything from players eating hot dogs to visiting an NFL game and comparing who is tougher I guess. 

Absolutely kidding themselves if they think the NFL are going to sit and let this happen.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

bigpoppa - 20 Nov 2017 7:24 AM

It is. Im a essendon  supporter  (dont shoot me) but our social media is full of nba games with players swapping jersies and the players showing the ballers  the finer details  of footy
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Sport has always been a key part of national identity, even if we like to think it isn’t. In a lot of former colonies of the British, in the 19th century, people wanted to consider themselves free of foreign domination, and to forge a national identity for themselves. Sport was part of this. Every country wanted a unique pastime that was different to the stale pastimes of the old world, especially free from British influence.

Canada invented Ice Hockey, Australia invented AFL. The USA invented Baseball, Basketball and NFL. Each country played them and excelled in them because the people of that era wanted their own unique pastime or way of life.

The urge to promote and protect AFL comes from a Nationalistic and Protectionist instinct. AFL is the Australian game, therefore anyone who promotes another winter code is unAustralian. If you move to Australia, especially to the southern states, you are expected to assimilate. You do so by following an AFL team.

If you live in Melbourne and you don’t follow AFL, you are “disloyal to Australia and Victoria”.

In Sydney it’s less about Nationalism and more about class. Rugby League split from Rugby Union over the issue of player payments and professionalism. Rugby League became “the workingman’s game” because players actually got paid.

In Sydney until about 20 years ago, If you followed Rugby Union, Football or AFL, you were being “disloyal to the working class”. And if you were upper class and you followed league, you were seen as “mixing with the unwashed masses”.

Cricket and Football are the only two team sports in Australia that could ever hope to bridge all of these class and national divides and create an inclusive national identity.

Cricket isn’t a threat, because it’s played in summer. But Football is. It’s international, and it’s outward looking. It’s a non-contact sport. It’s multicultural as opposed to Assimilation. It’s followed by all social classes.

It is everything that the egg ball codes can never be, and that’s why they want to destroy it.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Lastbroadcast
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Lastbroadcast - 20 Nov 2017 12:36 PM
Sport has always been a key part of national identity, even if we like to think it isn’t. In a lot of former colonies of the British, in the 19th century, people wanted to consider themselves free of foreign domination, and to forge a national identity for themselves. Sport was part of this. Every country wanted a unique pastime that was different to the stale pastimes of the old world, especially free from British influence.

Canada invented Ice Hockey, Australia invented AFL. The USA invented Baseball, Basketball and NFL. Each country played them and excelled in them because the people of that era wanted their own unique pastime or way of life.

The urge to promote and protect AFL comes from a Nationalistic and Protectionist instinct. AFL is the Australian game, therefore anyone who promotes another winter code is unAustralian. If you move to Australia, especially to the southern states, you are expected to assimilate. You do so by following an AFL team.

If you live in Melbourne and you don’t follow AFL, you are “disloyal to Australia and Victoria”.

In Sydney it’s less about Nationalism and more about class. Rugby League split from Rugby Union over the issue of player payments and professionalism. Rugby League became “the workingman’s game” because players actually got paid.

In Sydney until about 20 years ago, If you followed Rugby Union, Football or AFL, you were being “disloyal to the working class”. And if you were upper class and you followed league, you were seen as “mixing with the unwashed masses”.

Cricket and Football are the only two team sports in Australia that could ever hope to bridge all of these class and national divides and create an inclusive national identity.

Cricket isn’t a threat, because it’s played in summer. But Football is. It’s international, and it’s outward looking. It’s a non-contact sport. It’s multicultural as opposed to Assimilation. It’s followed by all social classes.

It is everything that the egg ball codes can never be, and that’s why they want to destroy it.

Just on cricket though, I'd be VERY surprised if Australia is still a Test-status ICC member in 30+ years' time. It will def lose cultural traction in future(& the process has already begun, IMHO) for the lack of international variety about it, to say nothing of the fact most migrants to this country have been/continue to be from places where it doesn't exist. Me personally, I've never seen the big deal about Australia being among the very best @ something for all intents&purposes played only by 12 nations...

And onto CarlitoG's post, no doubt you're referring to this absolute tragicomedy:

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro

Cricket will continue to grow, at least T20 cricket will. In Sydney there is huge migration from places like India, Pakista, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, where the game is loved. Plus the women’s game is going gangbusters.

Keep in mind that one of the 12 nations that plays cricket - India - has 1 billion people. Plus a few hundred million more across the rest of the subcontinent. There are Indian diasporas everywhere too.

Test cricket always used to have a streak of politics running through it. When the Ashes is on, its always about “the mother country” vs “the colonials”. Or when india and Pakistan play each other it’s the same. When the West Indies used to play england it was always “the former slaves vs the Slavemasters”.

Test cricket has too many irrelevant series, which has dulled its impact. It needs to become a more boutique sport played in small stadiums, and they need to get the test championship up and running so all matches are relevant.

Edited
7 Years Ago by Lastbroadcast
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

So the AFL are the Lannisters and football is Daenerys Targaryen with her army of Unsullied and Dothraki?

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

karta - 19 Nov 2017 2:46 AM

I've never seen it as AFL & NRL vs Football. To me it has always been the sport of AR vs everything they see as a competitor

conspicuous - Google Search10 days ago, all of our competitors (Cricket, NRL, Super 15, NBL, etc), publically wished the Socceroos good luck in their playoff against Honduras. There was 1 governing body of 1 sport that was conspicuously silent. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Feed_The_Brox - 20 Nov 2017 1:15 PM
karta - 19 Nov 2017 2:46 AM

conspicuous - Google Search10 days ago, all of our competitors (Cricket, NRL, Super 15, NBL, etc), publically wished the Socceroos good luck in their playoff against Honduras. There was 1 governing body of 1 sport that was conspicuously silent. 

Just checked their twitter for November 14th and you're right, not a peep (although they did shill for their international rules match lol)

In fairness, Carlton did make a congratulatory text only tweet, referring to Ange and Behich as being Carlton fans.

Couldn't find anything on NRL's twitter either.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
hames_jetfield - 20 Nov 2017 1:14 PM
So the AFL are the Lannisters and football is Daenerys Targaryen with her army of Unsullied and Dothraki?

If we throw the Lowys into a fire will we get dragons?
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsAUS/status/928167764828741632/video/1

Good luck Socceroos video
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Dont think its been metioned but aussie rules in melbourne has long had the backing of the wog communities, particulaly as the clubs are traditionally placed in the inner city suburbs. The membership take up of italians and greeks would leave most round ball people horrified.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Why do so many football people despise AFL so much? I think it's cool that Australia has its own game, which is actually pretty fun to both play and watch if you just manage to suppress this ridiculous eurosnob prejudice that a lot of Aussie football fans tend to wear as a badge of honour. In this respect, how are we any better than the likes of Sheahan and that other anti-soccer guy whose name I don't remember? All I see on this forum is ridicule towards afl and its fans. Why should they accept us when we're just as ignorant about and dismissive of their game as they are of ours? 

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

southmelb - 20 Nov 2017 2:34 PM
Dont think its been metioned but aussie rules in melbourne has long had the backing of the wog communities, particulaly as the clubs are traditionally placed in the inner city suburbs. The membership take up of italians and greeks would leave most round ball people horrified.

i still think AFL is predominantly an Anglo sport. just look at the listed players from AFL clubs... sure, they have some second/third generation Italian, Greek and former Yugoslavia players, but little elsewhere. 3 or 4 Africans. 1 or 2 Asians. 2 Muslims (that i know of). 1 Jew (that I know of). 1 North American. No South Americas. Not anywhere near a true representation of a multicultural society we have in Australia. 

Cricket is the same (with the obvious exception of players that are second/third generation sub-continental).
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Derider - 20 Nov 2017 2:51 PM
Why do so many football people despise AFL so much? I think it's cool that Australia has its own game, which is actually pretty fun to both play and watch if you just manage to suppress this ridiculous eurosnob prejudice that a lot of Aussie football fans tend to wear as a badge of honour. In this respect, how are we any better than the likes of Sheahan and that other anti-soccer guy whose name I don't remember? All I see on this forum is ridicule towards afl and its fans. Why should they accept us when we're just as ignorant about and dismissive of their game as they are of ours? 

Welcome back Pippinu!!

For me its not so much the game itself, its the AFL as an organisation and its constant scramble for relevance.

If you look beneath the surface of the AFL its nothing that its self promoted perception leads you to believe. 

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

bigpoppa - 20 Nov 2017 3:25 PM

Welcome back Pippinu!!

I have no idea what that is. You have me confused with someone. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

FFS
BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

I'd suggest you do your homework on the subject, but here's the bottom-line: they began this sh1tfight many decades ago, but we're the only ones who can finish it - once we get our house in order so as to enable it:exclamation:

There's also the small matter of the fact modern AFL is actually a very pale shadow of its former self from 20+ years ago; nonetheless, the fans in the know dare not voice their concerns too loudly/frequently for fear of being ostracised.

Edited
7 Years Ago by BA81
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

BA81 - 20 Nov 2017 4:16 PM

I'd suggest you do your homework on the subject, but here's the bottom-line: they began this sh1tfight many decades ago, but we're the only ones who can finish it - once we get our house in order so as to enable it:exclamation:

here here !
One fine day.......

Love Football

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

BA81 - 20 Nov 2017 1:03 PM

Just on cricket though, I'd be VERY surprised if Australia is still a Test-status ICC member in 30+ years' time. It will def lose cultural traction in future(& the process has already begun, IMHO) for the lack of international variety about it, to say nothing of the fact most migrants to this country have been/continue to be from places where it doesn't exist. Me personally, I've never seen the big deal about Australia being among the very best @ something for all intents&purposes played only by 12 nations...

And onto CarlitoG's post, no doubt you're referring to this absolute tragicomedy:

Yep thats the one..i found it cringey . Seems the afl want the whole world to accept  them. It reminds  me of a lil kid wanting  to be liked
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Agree and most of them deride soccer like no tommorow.  
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

It was the same in Brisbane with the founding League clubs. They changed sports and were union clubs all linked to (christian) Brothers or Old Boys etc. 

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 19 Nov 2017 10:49 PM

Growing up and living most of my life in Victoria, I can only really speak on AFL.

As far as I can see, it's not only an issue of the AFL being fearful of football, but rather it is part of the whole culture of Aussie Rules that football must be denigrated.

As kids growing up in the 70's and 80's in Victoria, we were taught/indoctrinated by our families (those with anglo celtic backgrounds), the anglophile media and wider cultural interactions that this Victorian sport of Aussie Rules was the 'be all and end all' of sports, and nothing else could come close to it, except maybe cricket over summer. That attitude was all pervasive. Part of going along with that was having to eschew any support for 'foreign sports' including sokkah, and for Victorians, that also included  'Rugby' (as both union and league were referred to). Shit, I didn't even know there were 2 rugby codes til I was about 20.

It seems to me, supporting Aussie Rules and criticising other sports actually had a lot to do with defining a 'cultural identity' of what it meant to be Victorian, and Australian, and I'm assuming the same thing occurred with Aussie Rules in TAS, WA, SA and Rugby League in NSW, Qld. I reckon both Ausse Rules and Rugby League actively encouraged denigration of sokkah as the outsiders sport, what with all those new australians playing it and ethnic clubs. I reckon that a lot of this was heightened from the 1950's-60's as part of the backlash to the post war migration boom which brought so many greeks, italians, croatians etc to melbourne, and I'm extrapolating that to other cities. Tell me if I'm wrong. 

The AFL and NRL were still generally semi professional and suburban without national competitions, up until the 1990's. Before that time, I don't think it was so much 'fear' of other sports from an economic point of view, but as I've said above, a cultural cringe, a part backlash/fear response against post war migration, and the need for each state/major city/area to validate it's own culture and say we are better than elsewhere, and our unique homegrown sport is part of that, therefore that sport must be better than other sports. This last point is particularly the case in the "Who's better, Sydney/Melbourne?" argument that used to always be talked about. 

As such, I genuinely believe that it became part of the psyche of those following those sports that they should talk down sokkah. I reckon this is the case even with people that were exposed to football as kids. I'm sure everyone in their 40's onwards knows someone who as a kid of migrants didn't follow football like their dad, but became an avid AFL/NRL fan, and now criticise the round ball game. 

I think that after the AFL and NRL became professional and national, yes, there was a more heightened commercial imperative to suppress football, and of course, a degree of genuine fear that football will take some revenue and support away from their sports. I think that has only increased since the A league and the socceroos continued qualification for world cups. It has also become incredibly sophisticated and well disguised.

yep can't disagree with any of that ...pretty spot on .

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

The issue of just how serious that "forearm smash" on O'Shea seems to be up for debate in Australia, with the official AFL website 

Irish acting better suited to soccer

The Ireland skipper fooled the ump, but we're used to seeing this in the other round ball game

joe kernan

Joe Kernan Slams Refereeing, Claims Michael Murphy Was "Tortured" | Balls.ie

Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 20 Nov 2017 9:09 PM

Agree and most of them deride soccer like no tommorow.  

Internalised racism.

We all know if you are a racist in Australia, there is a higher probability that you like AFL/NRL a lot more than football.

Edited
7 Years Ago by hames_jetfield
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I posted an article in the Glory thread about Reddy giving his gloves to a kid who had had a tough year, by chance. Even though the mum thought it was wonderful she writes 

"Dear Perth Glory. Today as a sole parent of 3 boys I took my eldest, the 12 year old, to his very first game (reluctantly as I follow AFL)"
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/perth-glory/perth-glory-goalkeeper-liam-reddy-praised-for-giving-gloves-to-young-fan-melbourne-victory-loss/news-story/3ad8135b9fd572f2e43ba23ad3c80219

This is the brainwashing from codewars. She has to let it known to her peers on fb that she didnt really want to go. Fear of becoming an outcast probably. 
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

It wasn't the soccer community that started the shit fight between the games in Melbourne by throwing glass on pitches, deriding us as un Australian and using political influence to drive us out of town.

Viennese Vuck

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search