How much do the other football codes (especially AFL), truly fear the rise of football in Australia?...

How much do the other football codes (especially AFL), truly fear the...

Author
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
robbos - 1 Dec 2017 7:24 AM
Nachoman - 1 Dec 2017 6:05 AM

WSW Giants, count feet for their attendances.

Image result for greater western sydney dog
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Nachoman - 1 Dec 2017 6:05 AM

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/women-drive-growth-in-south-australian-football-participation/news-story/4d14fc8b3114cf9dfa85dff74c557fa9

WOMEN’S football is the cornerstone of a significant spike in Australian football participation in South Australia.It comes as football in Australia reached a record 1,547,915 participants across all levels of the game.Participants include players, umpires and coaches.

So not only are they counting pets as members, they include umpires and coaches as participants... love those metrics afl

WSW Giants, count feet for their attendances.

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/women-drive-growth-in-south-australian-football-participation/news-story/4d14fc8b3114cf9dfa85dff74c557fa9

WOMEN’S football is the cornerstone of a significant spike in Australian football participation in South Australia.It comes as football in Australia reached a record 1,547,915 participants across all levels of the game.Participants include players, umpires and coaches.

So not only are they counting pets as members, they include umpires and coaches as participants... love those metrics afl

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

scott21 - 30 Nov 2017 10:15 PM
SAVE
PRINT

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan's grand Canberra plan boosted by participation figures

Be careful of Victorian media. 

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

SAVE
PRINT

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan's grand Canberra plan boosted by participation figures

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

we all rememeber the Qatar handball team

Image result for qatar handball team foreigners
Edited
7 Years Ago by scott21
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Qatar to invade NRL 

Qatar sheik worth an estimated $60 billion wants to invest in the NRL

Ads by Kiosked

IN what would be a historic game-changer for rugby league, a Qatar sheik worth an estimated $60 billion wants to invest in the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal that Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani has discussed either sponsoring an NRL club — or simply buying one.

He is the sixth-richest sheik in the world.

“Definitely, money, funding, isn’t an issue for us,” said Dr Khalid Mohammad, who calls himself a “spokesman to his Highness”.

“Rugby league is a very famous game in Australia, UK, New Zealand and all over the world.”

HURT: Roos must protect Cronk

SMASHED: Bennett and Stuart unite on injuries

GREATNESS: 10 best moments of the World Cup

Michael Ibrahim (left) with Qatar's Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani.
Could this be the start of a new dawn for the game?

Some may be sceptical but Sheik Faisal’s interest in rugby league is genuine.

Sheik Faisal has befriended an NRL-loving Australian businessman, Michael Ibrahim, who has worked in the Middle East for the past 18 years.

The sheik has already injected money into the Pacific rugby league nations and is proposing a tournament in Doha, Qatar — involving Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Qatar — late next year.

Ibrahim supplies building material for stadiums to be used in the 2022 Qatar Football World Cup, sells food — meat from Australia and chicken from Brazil — to the Qatar Government and is helping build a resort in Qatar.

Extremely well connected to the Qatar royal family, Ibrahim has direct contact with Sheik Faisal and is encouraging the financial giant to buy into rugby league. And that is exactly what the sheik plans to do.

Qatar's 2022 FIFA World Cup preparations have been dogged by controversy. (Getty Images)

The Daily Telegraph spoke in-depth about the sheik’s plans for rugby league through his spokesman, Dr Khalid Mohammad.

“I feel personally that this game represents our nation,” Dr Khalid said. “Rugby league is a game of strength, power and strategy.

“In Qatar, we are highly interested in rugby league and brother Michael Ibrahim is a very close friend of ours. We can sponsor the clubs in Australia.

“He told us there are some struggling clubs in Australia and we are willing to buy them with correlation from Michael Ibrahim. He is a very a well-connected man there.

A tournament including Tonga, Samoa and Fiji is on the cards. (AAP Image/David Rowland)

“We can definitely buy and give some support. Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim would be funding all the activities. Definitely it will give us a return in terms of investment.

“Qatar is the wealthiest country in the Islamic world. Money has never been a problem.

“But the main question is how to utilise the money for the fame and coverage you can get.

“People like rugby league in many countries but, for us, it is new. Football is very famous here but rugby league, we want to introduce it into our nation.

LISTEN! The World Cup final has arrived for both men and women and the League Central crew dissect an incredible tournament to date, the future of the international game and pick their winners as the league season draws to a close.

Download the League Central podcast via iTunes

“In Qatar, we are preparing for the World Cup and sport is a way of communicating and representing ourselves in the world.

“Michael Ibrahim has already introduced rugby league to us. In fact, we are planning to host a tournament with Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.”

Sheik Faisal’s family wealth is $60 billion, while his personal wealth is around $3 billion.

He owns more than 20 hotels throughout the world and high-end real estate in Qatar. He also sells medical supplies and pharmaceuticals.

Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:51
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Cronk denies ill-feeling with Pearce

Ibrahim, 44, who claims to be “very close” to the royal family, is a Sydney-born rugby league fanatic. He lives between Sydney and Qatar.

“I’m an entrepreneur,” said Ibrahim, who owns a company called Aqeeq Holdings.

“And I’m a massive Dragons fan. I bleed red and white. I have been telling them about our game and they’re not short of a quid.

“Money won’t be an issue for them. Who knows, there may even be another Super League? The money is there.

“This will be a win-win situation. They are a sport-driven country. That’s why they went for the World Cup soccer.

“There would be interest in rugby league in Qatar, they would love it.

“Unfortunately, our clubs don’t see beyond Australia. You’ve got to look elsewhere to find that corporate dollar. Clubs are doing it tough here.”

According to Forbes magazine, Sheik Faisal “has a museum in Doha where he houses more than 15,000 artefacts, including ancient coins, Islamic art and antique cars.”

He owns one of the largest conglomerates in Qatar.

NRL financial problems: Qatar sheik has $60 billion to invest | Daily Telegraph

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Top bantz by Robbie

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Sam Kerr says Matildas would be stupid to succumb to the call of AFLW

38 reading now

The hugely successful inaugural AFL Women's competition might have encouraged some multi-skilled athletes to code hop, but one of the world's best female soccer players believes any of her Matildas teammates who might be considering the switch for season two would be daft.

Sam Kerr is one of the highest-profile sportswomen in the world right now, and while she is a fan of the indigenous game she is well aware of its strategy of trying to lure high-quality performers to desert their sports in favour of footy.

Kerr's view is, "why be just a local hero when the world can be your oyster?"

The Matildas' star striker says the attractions of the world game and the capacity it gives top players to represent their country at the Olympics as well as earn a full-time living by playing professionally in Australia and around the world make it a far better option, certainly for her.

Asked whether she ever got fed up being asked by various AFL fans and media if she would switch to kicking a Sherrin, Kerr offered a polite comparison on where she thought the strengths of the two sports lay.

"It doesn't annoy me. It's an AFL thing at the moment to try and snag some players from other codes, but honestly, if anyone in the Matildas was to leave for the AFL it would be stupid.

"We travel the world, we play in Olympic games ... my brother [former West Coast Eagles premiership player Daniel Kerr] has played in an AFL grand final and won it and said he would give up his medal to go to an Olympic Games. Nothing compares to it.

"Olympic Games compared to an AFL grand final? They are not even in the same ballpark. I get to represent my country and travel the world, it's not just Australia that knows about the Matildas, it's the world. There's no real comparison.

"I am still a big AFL fan, I went and watched the Gaelic footy [international rules] on the weekend and I will always support the West Coast Eagles, but I won't be picking up the oval ball."

Kerr has become the public face of a Matildas team that has turned heads and become the poster girls of Australian soccer this year, with breakthrough wins over the US on American soil, Japan and Brazil.

The forward, whose trademark somersault goal celebrations perfectly illustrate the exuberance with which she plays, believes this stellar year has been a long time in the making.

Now that the team has clicked there is no reason why it cannot continue to build on its achievements.

"I see it more as a breakthrough year in the media. I think people think we have just all of a sudden become a good team," Kerr said.

"But this has been years in the making for us to get to this point. We have broken through and become a consistent team and I have become a consistent player.

"Australia is really starting to take notice. I think we weren't consistently good enough in the past, we would win games here and there, but this year we have consistently beaten top opponents, Japan, Brazil, USA, to name a few.

"I think I have improved. But I think everyone in our team has. I still think I have a lot of improving to do. I have become a consistent goal-scorer, which is nice being a striker, but I still have a lot of work to do."

Kerr winces a little when the Ronaldo comparisons are made, saying she doesn't want to be him, merely emulate the impact he has had on his teams.

"I just said [in an interview this year] that he is my idol. I want to be someone my teammates can rely on, like Ronaldo."

Kerr and her teammates in part relate the success the Matildas are enjoying to the nurturing environment and togetherness that has developed within the camp with a group of young women all focused on the same goal – succeeding together on a global stage.

"That happened with just growing up with each other, I have known these girls from 13 or 14, they are like the 20 sisters I never wanted," she said. "I love them all, they are like my best friends. It helps when you are fighting out there for your best mates."

And does she feel the pressure? She certainly plays like someone who wears it lightly.

"Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a very serious person. I just like to have fun on the field, I am mucking around and having a laugh, that's when I play my best football. Sometimes its gets a bit much for me and I stress myself out out a bit, that's when I realise its just time to kind of shut down the media and all that type of thing."

www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sam-kerr-says-matildas-would-be-stupid-to-succumb-to-the-call-of-aflw-20171121-gzppsm.html

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 21 Nov 2017 4:00 PM
What the AFL could do to attract people with less time amd patience is to shorten the field,make the goals smaller,actually just make it one goal with a net per side ,use a round ball so you can allow players to learn more skills ,no handling of the ball,offside and there you have a decent game that doesn't rely primarily on athleticism....Now what to call it?.....

Sounds fantastic. Im in.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Davo1985 - 21 Nov 2017 2:56 PM
City Sam - 21 Nov 2017 2:14 PM

We'll see what happens, but remember that real cricket fans also hated the BBL concept initially. So the same will be with AFLX. Trust me, the AFL realise they need to deliver a product that appeals to a certain market. They know they can't target the hardcore fans, at least not initially, however as the game gains more traction by the entertainment types, it will become more accepted by the general afl public. Then the very inevitable comparison with other summer sports such as football will be made, and yet again we'll be here complaining about yet another distraction.

What we as a sport need to do is focus on ourselves. I don't want to claim that metrics mean nothing because many financials hinge off the back off it in one way or another, however we must go back to basics of building our game up using a football formula not an NRL/AFL formula. Now is the time that we get leaders in our sport that have football running in their veins. Capable intelligent business people. People that get football and how it works. People like Peter Filopolous, Anthony Di Pietro, Simon Pearce and even Tony Pignata.

Then you were talking to the cricket fans who only think test cricket is real cricket who are these days far from the majority. As i mentioned there was enough evidence and proof that T20 cricket was a success due to international matches and the IPL. There was no logical reason for its success to suddenly stop here. Meanwhile AFLX is the AFL throwing a longshot in the hopes of creating a game that can go international, however in this modification you can literally score in one kick, it is just going to be a disaster.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

What the AFL could do to attract people with less time amd patience is to shorten the field,make the goals smaller,actually just make it one goal with a net per side ,use a round ball so you can allow players to learn more skills ,no handling of the ball,offside and there you have a decent game that doesn't rely primarily on athleticism....Now what to call it?.....
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Davo1985 - 21 Nov 2017 2:16 PM
Derider - 20 Nov 2017 2:51 PM

Maybe because our sports body wouldn't publish/upload something like this:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-11-18/irish-acting-better-suited-to-soccer

Yep. I don't mind the game itself, but I'll be damned if I'll give a single cent to any club or administration that seeks undermine or destroy the game I love. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

City Sam - 21 Nov 2017 2:14 PM
Davo1985 - 21 Nov 2017 11:28 AM

Difference is T20 cricket was already a success and the IPL was a massive hit, the BBL was just the Australian continuation of it. While AFLX is taking an already fast paced game with countless goals and making everything smaller which will mean everyone is just going to punt the ball continually because why not. If actual AFL fans hate the idea, then who will like it?

We'll see what happens, but remember that real cricket fans also hated the BBL concept initially. So the same will be with AFLX. Trust me, the AFL realise they need to deliver a product that appeals to a certain market. They know they can't target the hardcore fans, at least not initially, however as the game gains more traction by the entertainment types, it will become more accepted by the general afl public. Then the very inevitable comparison with other summer sports such as football will be made, and yet again we'll be here complaining about yet another distraction.

What we as a sport need to do is focus on ourselves. I don't want to claim that metrics mean nothing because many financials hinge off the back off it in one way or another, however we must go back to basics of building our game up using a football formula not an NRL/AFL formula. Now is the time that we get leaders in our sport that have football running in their veins. Capable intelligent business people. People that get football and how it works. People like Peter Filopolous, Anthony Di Pietro, Simon Pearce and even Tony Pignata.
Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

Another thing is they control the media. So there virtually no bad stuff. They also have a 3 strike rule for drugs.
Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

I despise AFL. There are ovals here in Sydney that have signs which say no other balls allowed. Just AFL balls. They want to take over every other code. Then they have the nerve to say there is no code war. Right after signing Folau and Hunt. Wankers
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Derider - 20 Nov 2017 2:51 PM
Why do so many football people despise AFL so much? I think it's cool that Australia has its own game, which is actually pretty fun to both play and watch if you just manage to suppress this ridiculous eurosnob prejudice that a lot of Aussie football fans tend to wear as a badge of honour. In this respect, how are we any better than the likes of Sheahan and that other anti-soccer guy whose name I don't remember? All I see on this forum is ridicule towards afl and its fans. Why should they accept us when we're just as ignorant about and dismissive of their game as they are of ours? 

Maybe because our sports body wouldn't publish/upload something like this:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-11-18/irish-acting-better-suited-to-soccer

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

karta - 19 Nov 2017 2:46 AM

The problem is that everyone was saying the exact same thing with BBL. Havea  look back at the old threads. Everyone was saying it would fail by season 3, and now look where it is.

The bbl just like aflx will not be sold purely as a sport but instead entertainment. It won't be made to take seriously, it will be there to distract other sports and to gain some entertainment dollars from the public and ultimately persuade yung kids to play and follow aussie rules instead of football from the ages of 6-14. It's a very calculated move, one that will literally be seen as BBL 2.0 but in AFL form. In other words, look out for music and fireworks after every goal is scored. Watch the cameras pan across the crowd to all the kids. They will incentivise it so that it gets the attention of all the young one's. It will be sold as a "perfect" holiday product.

In a way it may end up competing more with Cricket than football as they will be targeting the exact same audience. But in the end it will affect the real sports out there such as football and basketball that are actually running a legitimate season long competition.

Difference is T20 cricket was already a success and the IPL was a massive hit, the BBL was just the Australian continuation of it. While AFLX is taking an already fast paced game with countless goals and making everything smaller which will mean everyone is just going to punt the ball continually because why not. If actual AFL fans hate the idea, then who will like it?
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

BB

Thanks for your reply ... we will disagree on this ... this does not on my part give any praise to FFA or say they are doing a good job... and I agree somewhere between years 6 & 8 it started to go off the rails...

IMO to lay all the blame at FFA allows others in other stakeholder groups to get away with there own inefficiencies .... We are headed for FIFA intervention it should be a top to bottom  not only the top... BTW I concede FFA are the major problem but I maintain they are not the only problem 

I  think others in positions of influence have contributed and its way to hard to allocate percentages but these are our key stakeholder groups.

FFA
A-League Clubs
W-League Clubs
PFA
State Federations
Media-
----- SBS
----- Fairfax
----- News
----- Fox
----- ABC
----- Social Media 

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Bozzas back on the nose candy
Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur

Afl are very foreign to us due to circular grounds. I've always thought we should join forces with the NRL. The Wanderers could partner up with the eels and Sydney fc with the roosters. They could have a small logo on there jerseys eg wandered on eels and vice versa. They could also share memberships. It would benieft both codes.
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Midfielder - 21 Nov 2017 12:11 PM
^^^^^

BB out of interest do you lay all blame for our issues with FFA..... or ....  FFA and others share the blame for our current issues... 

Of course I lay blame for all issues on the FFA

Now before I go on, let me state this clearly. I loved the reform and I embraced the FFA. It was a great thing and an important moment for our sport. We weren't going to get everything at once. But there was a framework in place and training wheels

Since season 6 when interest in our game was on the slide the FFA reacted poorly. We have seen concessions, no expansion (to stabalise current metrics), all stars, cahill rule, a reformed top 6 system to cement it, rigged FFA cup (which doesn't even have an ACL spot even though every other country in the AFC does as per requirements), VAR, the game on every channel in the last 12-18 months instead of a consistent home, bias fixturing...

Every single proactive decision from the FFA since season 6 has been metrics, metrics, metrics. We now have a "crowds working party"

This is 100% the AFL / NRL mentality of trying to build an entertaining product instead of a competitive product. Exactly wht Davo said above about the BBL and AFLX is exactly the direction the A League is heading. It is a stand alone entertainment product designed to feed the rest of the game which cant thrive without an integrated elite national league. Its like selling your house so you have enough money to pay the mortgage on the house you just sold

And who else can we blame when the FFA own and control 100% of the game, make 100% of the decisions and are responsible for 100% of the structure

I know you don't like blame for the sake of blame and like to challenge people who blame the FFA because their bin wasn't collected this week. But my blame and criticism is very much warranted

The game cannot move forward with the current lot in charge because their focus is on metrics and entertainment

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

^^^^^

BB out of interest do you lay all blame for our issues with FFA..... or ....  FFA and others share the blame for our current issues... 
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Cricket's a long boring sport where nothing much happens. BBL simply took what everybody, big hits, and then tweaked the rules of the sport to maximise the amount of big hits occurring per game. They also reduced the standard match from five days (seriously you need that long?) to three hours to fit falling attention spans and advertising dollars. 

How will AFLX work in this way?

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

In a way it may end up competing more with Cricket than football as they will be targeting the exact same audience. But in the end it will affect the real sports out there such as football and basketball that are actually running a legitimate season long competition.

The success of the BBL and the fall of interest in the A League are two different things

There are 23 million people in this country and it is estimated only 3 million of those watched the AFL grand final

Some of the ratings we have had in past years, as well as bigger attendance figures and membership numbers for our two biggest clubs shows there are enough people out there to make our sport a success. But we opt not to because we follow this made up formula and pander towards myths and invent this stereotypical "average Aussie" and try to meet his needs

There will never be enough sport out there to make our game obsolete. Aussies love sport and all if not most follow several sports. We are part of a buffet of sport. Sometimes we will lose fans on individual weekends to other sports but equally we will lose them to other events (individually or collectively). But over the balance of the season we have the potential to do well and hold our own whether the BBL or AFLX exist

We just decide not to

Our game has been built as the game to watch when nothing else is on. Cant blame fans for upholding their end of the bargain

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Sebr1968 - 18 Nov 2017 4:58 PM

I've never seen it as AFL & NRL vs Football. To me it has always been the sport of AR vs everything they see as a competitor (there are newspaper articles from ~100 years ago talking about how Aussie rules is about to rightfully take over NSW/QLD/NZ). It's not normal behaviour and the only comparable situation I can think of is the way RU goes after RL but that's on a whole other level.

The AFLX/WAFL are just last throws of the dice by a small corner-store in a regional town (that is apparently known for refusing service to local black customers...) trying everything it can to fight a new Woolies&Coles shopping centre opening up down the street. 

The problem is that everyone was saying the exact same thing with BBL. Havea  look back at the old threads. Everyone was saying it would fail by season 3, and now look where it is.

The bbl just like aflx will not be sold purely as a sport but instead entertainment. It won't be made to take seriously, it will be there to distract other sports and to gain some entertainment dollars from the public and ultimately persuade yung kids to play and follow aussie rules instead of football from the ages of 6-14. It's a very calculated move, one that will literally be seen as BBL 2.0 but in AFL form. In other words, look out for music and fireworks after every goal is scored. Watch the cameras pan across the crowd to all the kids. They will incentivise it so that it gets the attention of all the young one's. It will be sold as a "perfect" holiday product.

asanchez
asanchez
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Great post Mark, I share most of your views and opinions on the AFL.

Also, people outside Vic wouldn't know this, but they own Melbourne, and everything in it. They've done a great job of setting up their own backyard to ward off any potential competitors like Football.

In terms of media, they own the landscape, the papers down here don't write anything controversial before getting approval from AFL HQ. Their so called journalists are anything but, they are the biggest cheerleaders ever seen. But they're allowed to be, because they run the sports agenda down here. The AFL also own 30% of SEN, and people should hear the crap that comes out that radio station, particularly right now in the AFL off season, there's virtually nothing meaningful in the AFL world to talk about, but they still manage it with aplomb.

The AFL has an MOU with both the Media and
Victoria Police, and when issues arise, players aren't arrested, the AFL is contacted and they deal with it. And yet the say that FIFA is corrupt.

They're very good at protecting their own patch, which is effectively what Sheehan and Baum have done in the last couple of weeks. And get ready for it, as soon as the WC comes around in 2018, watch more of these muppets come out of the woodwork. Also, don't be surprised if a 'massive AFL scandal' is found and run to death by the Melbourne media in June or July 2018.

They've done it time and time again, it's all planned, but for someone like me who's had to put up with it for so long, it's all now very predictable.

Are they worried about football becoming the number 1 sport? No, not at all, particularly not in the short term. But if football continues to grow in Vic, which is their backyard, if the A-league continues to grow, if more A-league clubs come from Victoria, then they start losing money, even if only 5-10%, that's million of dollars, and their journalists potentially start losing jobs. It's all one big circle.

This is why they protect their patch like they do, and they talk down or even smash other sports. I'm just sick of it...

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Midfielder - 21 Nov 2017 7:24 AM
melbourne_terrace - 21 Nov 2017 4:38 AM
any It wasn't the soccer community that started the shit fight between the games in Melbourne by throwing glass on pitches, deriding us as un Australian and using political influence to drive us out of town.

+ 99999

wow ? is there evidence of this ?
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Decentric - 21 Nov 2017 7:52 AM

One's perspective on AFL is probably influenced by where one lives.

In the southern states our media is saturated all year round with AFL. It is different in NSW and Queensland, and probably the ACT.

I live in QLD and AFL does not register on my radar at all. Haven't watched a GF in years ....

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I raise this thread in response to some of the other posts, where the AFL crowd. eg. Mike Sheehan laid into football when he described the first leg of the Intercontinental playoff between Australia v Hondouras, as "rubbish".

As much as I would like to see football become  Australia's number one sport (at all levels, not just the amateur participant numbers), realistically it's not going to happen in the near future, and most likely not in our lifetimes.

In terms of TV rights, corporate sponsorship, media coverage, and average crowds, AFL reigns supreme, with NRL second, football third, and Rugby Union last (Rugby Union is a mostly elitist sport confined to snotty nosed private schools).

After Australia had  successfully qualified for the 2006 World Cup, Mike Hill wrote an excellent article called, "can you smell the fear?", which was in response to the AFL/NRL crowd rubbishing football, which seems to happen quite frequently around important World Cup qualifiers, and when the World Cup starts.

My view is that the AFL and NRL don't really fear football, as they have most of the mainstream media behind them, plus the lions share of corporate sponsorship and bigger crowds, however with NRL, the rapidly declining junior participant numbers must be concerning the NRL hierarchy. In all probability both the AFL and NRL, see football as a nuisance, competing for corporate dollar, but not a real threat.

What's your view?

One's perspective on AFL is probably influenced by where one lives.

In the southern states our media is saturated all year round with AFL. It is different in NSW and Queensland, and probably the ACT.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search