New $26 million soccer complex to be built at Gepps Cross by Football Federation SA

New $26 million soccer complex to be built at Gepps Cross by Football...

Author
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bohemia - 10 Feb 2018 3:57 PM
redcup - 10 Feb 2018 3:40 PM

I lived it in Adelaide for 25 years when I was growing up. When I came back 10 years later to visit I just shook my head thinking "is this how I lived?"

I can't believe people legitimately base their lives around listening to 5AA

hahah 5aa ... the bogan radio show that mentions every sport and except for AUFC...
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

redcup - 10 Feb 2018 3:40 PM
Nachoman - 10 Feb 2018 3:19 PM

Yeah, it's pretty big here & Perth but when I lived for a short time in Melbourne it did my head in having Aussie rules as some weird icon.

I lived it in Adelaide for 25 years when I was growing up. When I came back 10 years later to visit I just shook my head thinking "is this how I lived?"

I can't believe people legitimately base their lives around listening to 5AA
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Nachoman - 10 Feb 2018 3:19 PM
bohemia - 10 Feb 2018 1:20 PM

never underestimate the influence the AFL has over this state.... 

Yeah, it's pretty big here & Perth but when I lived for a short time in Melbourne it did my head in having Aussie rules as some weird icon.
Edited
6 Years Ago by redcup
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

bohemia - 10 Feb 2018 1:20 PM
scott21 - 9 Feb 2018 7:04 PM

I'm embarrassed to have been born in the same state as this moron and his family. Sentence after sentence is just a new layer of it. Fucking lost it when he said tennis was in decline because backyards are shrinking. If shrinking backyards were a problem we would have fucked aussie rules off by now.

Oh and look at that. Hands out for more government money for the Crows. The twists and turns in this story. 

Just to summarise
Graham Cornes: moron
Kane Cornes: moron
Chad Cornes: moron
Nicole cornes: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZsfSnT710

Bit of Graham being a wholesome aussie larrakin being a bit of a larrakin and threatening to punch someone in a real true blue aussie way too

never underestimate the influence the AFL has over this state.... 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)World Class (8.7K reputation)

scott21 - 9 Feb 2018 7:04 PM
Story image for cornes soccer from The Advertiser

Graham Cornes: Why tennis and footy are polls apart

The Advertiser-11 Jan 2018
The Memorial Drive tennis centre should have been redeveloped when Adelaide Oval was rebuilt. On contemplation now, it is ridiculous that it didn't happen. Unfortunately it's too late. Tennis will have to stand in line behind the Crows, soccer, athletics and basketball for any government-assisted new

I'm embarrassed to have been born in the same state as this moron and his family. Sentence after sentence is just a new layer of it. Fucking lost it when he said tennis was in decline because backyards are shrinking. If shrinking backyards were a problem we would have fucked aussie rules off by now.

Oh and look at that. Hands out for more government money for the Crows. The twists and turns in this story. 

Just to summarise
Graham Cornes: moron
Kane Cornes: moron
Chad Cornes: moron
Nicole cornes: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZsfSnT710

Bit of Graham being a wholesome aussie larrakin being a bit of a larrakin and threatening to punch someone in a real true blue aussie way too
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

bohemia - 9 Feb 2018 2:54 PM
Midfielder - 9 Feb 2018 1:57 PM

Except that it's not just 10,000 seats, but also all the regulatory requirements that need to be met to let people sit in them.

Yeah this. And 11k seats and 4k standing is not ideal for a club that can fill Hindmarsh.

The roof idea looks cool but I though the local Arion of coopred stadium meant removing roads to fill in the corners. 
redcup
redcup
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

scott21 - 9 Feb 2018 7:03 PM
redcup - 9 Feb 2018 5:29 PM

Is that the word on the street?

Woudnt it be government money instead?

This was the old thing 

AEC estimates an ETFE roof would cost around $45 million, with another $30 million needed for seating capacity improvements.

If no upgrades go ahead, it estimates the cost of a brand new 25,000 seat rectangular stadium to be in excess of $250 million.

Coopers Stadium $75m upgrade plan includes covered roof, link to Adelaide Oval, host rugby and Commonwealth Games | Adelaide Now

2014 price though

I assume it's part of the multi-million $ deal the AFL got from TV, but they are pals with the government so I'm sure they could swing it. The fact that AU & FFSA come 3rd, below the AFL and the private school boys in the government who would want thugby played there, is my concern only because for years the football watchers have asked - but zilch 'cause football is still seen as not a "true blue" sport. Personally, I blame the FFA for doing nothing.

Edited
6 Years Ago by redcup
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Story image for cornes soccer from The Advertiser

Graham Cornes: Why tennis and footy are polls apart

The Advertiser-11 Jan 2018
The Memorial Drive tennis centre should have been redeveloped when Adelaide Oval was rebuilt. On contemplation now, it is ridiculous that it didn't happen. Unfortunately it's too late. Tennis will have to stand in line behind the Crows, soccer, athletics and basketball for any government-assisted new

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

redcup - 9 Feb 2018 5:29 PM
Feed_The_Brox - 9 Feb 2018 3:11 PM

No, many punters here are expecting AFLX to take off and there'll be money pumped in by the AFL.
The idea of the AFL spending money to put a roof on Hindmarsh is way too scary for me to contemplate.

Is that the word on the street?

Woudnt it be government money instead?

This was the old thing 

AEC estimates an ETFE roof would cost around $45 million, with another $30 million needed for seating capacity improvements.

If no upgrades go ahead, it estimates the cost of a brand new 25,000 seat rectangular stadium to be in excess of $250 million.

Coopers Stadium $75m upgrade plan includes covered roof, link to Adelaide Oval, host rugby and Commonwealth Games | Adelaide Now

2014 price though

redcup
redcup
Pro

f AU already has a decent training facility then surely this money would be better spent on upgrading the capacity at Hindmarsh? 

No, many punters here are expecting AFLX to take off and there'll be money pumped in by the AFL.
The idea of the AFL spending money to put a roof on Hindmarsh is way too scary for me to contemplate.
Edited
6 Years Ago by redcup
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

If AU already have a decent training facility then surely this money would be better spent on upgrading the capacity at Hindmarsh? 

This is a FFSA facility. It actually has nothing to do with AU.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

If AU already have a decent training facility then surely this money would be better spent on upgrading the capacity at Hindmarsh? 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Midfielder - 9 Feb 2018 1:57 PM
Waz - 8 Feb 2018 6:05 AM

Thats not a bad idea 10K extra seats is not as expensive as people may think..

Except that it's not just 10,000 seats, but also all the regulatory requirements that need to be met to let people sit in them.
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)Pro (5K reputation)

Excellent development. The question to Adelaide Fans is should the Reds owners look to turn that 5,000 stadium into 15,000 and make the move there?

Thats not a bad idea 10K extra seats is not as expensive as people may think..
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Nachoman - 8 Feb 2018 2:30 PM
mcjules - 8 Feb 2018 11:21 AM

And we get shafted with international football and EPL giants playing at Adelaide oval .... look at the number playing football compared to tennis.. where is the growth ?

We at least are getting some international football and EPL giants playing here. We have no chance of seeing top 20 tennis players let alone Federer or Nadal coming to Adelaide with the facilities we have at the moment.

It's not like the stadium they'd build for football would have the 40-50k needed for those top end marquee events anyway.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro

mcjules - 8 Feb 2018 11:21 AM
redsfan - 8 Feb 2018 10:52 AM

They're still Liberal party donors but I don't think that's really why it's not happening.

Memorial Drive is a lot more dilapidated than Hindmarsh and tennis does need new facilities. We're never going to get a major tournament here again with what we got and as it is, we're missing out on Davis Cup, Fed Cup and potentially the new Laver Cup which will be in Australia in a couple of years. There's also rumours that the Brisbane International is going to disappear in favour of another country based tournament with "group stage" matches played at various stadia around Australia. Anyway, lots of reasons to upgrade the tennis centre just wish they could do both.

And we get shafted with international football and EPL giants playing at Adelaide oval .... look at the number playing football compared to tennis.. where is the growth ?
mcjules
mcjules
World Class
World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)World Class (8.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
redsfan - 8 Feb 2018 10:52 AM
Nachoman - 8 Feb 2018 7:01 AM

The Coopers family has no financial interest in AUFC.
It's major owner is Robert Gerard with a bunch of other minor shareholders of which none are of the cooper family.

They're still Liberal party donors but I don't think that's really why it's not happening.

Memorial Drive is a lot more dilapidated than Hindmarsh and tennis does need new facilities. We're never going to get a major tournament here again with what we got and as it is, we're missing out on Davis Cup, Fed Cup and potentially the new Laver Cup which will be in Australia in a couple of years. There's also rumours that the Brisbane International is going to disappear in favour of another country based tournament with "group stage" matches played at various stadia around Australia. Anyway, lots of reasons to upgrade the tennis centre just wish they could do both.

Insert Gertjan Verbeek gifs here

Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 8 Feb 2018 10:37 AM
Nachoman - 8 Feb 2018 10:12 AM

Nobody goes to Richmond, Woodville or Noarlunga to watch SANFL either.

This part of the north has The Parks, Kilburn Sportsplex, new Gepps Cross development and Adelaide City at Oakden all pretty much running in a straight east west line. Maybe it's the part of Adelaide nobody likes but it's becoming our fortress. Sydney has the West, Adelaide has the North.

Btw if you do what I do and just ignore anything that's south of Flagstaff Hill, Gepps Cross is basically the geographic centre of the Adelaide metro area. Not at all a bad location.

naaa .. costco and the churchill centre is where its at LoL
redsfan
redsfan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Nachoman - 8 Feb 2018 7:01 AM

politics by the state labor party....
We already have the burton facility ( albeit smaller ) with a number of fiels
add in west adelaide ( at kilburn ) again with a number of fields

What they dont want is our code in the spotlight in the city... a 20k rectangular stadium in the cbd would be perfect
their argument is adelaide oval is world class ( bollocks ) and now they are thinking ( along with the city council  ) to upgrade the tennis precint next to adelaide oval
what the fark for ? we dont have any major tournament , there is no regular tenant there ,...

Adelaide united's owners are the coopers family.... they are liberal supporters.
Pus it was labor which labelled the hindmarsh stadium upgrade for the olympics as a white elephant.... never forget

The Coopers family has no financial interest in AUFC.
It's major owner is Robert Gerard with a bunch of other minor shareholders of which none are of the cooper family.

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Nachoman - 8 Feb 2018 10:12 AM
bohemia - 8 Feb 2018 9:50 AM

and its gepps cross ... cheap land ... much like the playford council... no one goes out there to watch

Nobody goes to Richmond, Woodville or Noarlunga to watch SANFL either.

This part of the north has The Parks, Kilburn Sportsplex, new Gepps Cross development and Adelaide City at Oakden all pretty much running in a straight east west line. Maybe it's the part of Adelaide nobody likes but it's becoming our fortress. Sydney has the West, Adelaide has the North.

Btw if you do what I do and just ignore anything that's south of Flagstaff Hill, Gepps Cross is basically the geographic centre of the Adelaide metro area. Not at all a bad location.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro

bohemia - 8 Feb 2018 9:50 AM
Bout time we got the pork barrel action

and its gepps cross ... cheap land ... much like the playford council... no one goes out there to watch
bohemia
bohemia
World Class

Bout time we got the pork barrel action
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Just wait 1 week.

Once AFLX gets a full house we can push for Hindmarsh to be sold and the gov to build a new stadium for Crows and Power that soccer can use too.

Maybe AC. And perhaps SNAFL can run AFLX also.

And lol Eastern Suburbs Roosters. Because they need a new stadium in Sydney but are looking to play more games in Adelaide 😯
TimmyJ
TimmyJ
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Big jump from 1000 seats to 20000.
Nachoman
Nachoman
Semi-Pro

Excellent development. The question to Adelaide Fans is should the Reds owners look to turn that 5,000 stadium into 15,000 and make the move there?

politics by the state labor party....
We already have the burton facility ( albeit smaller ) with a number of fiels
add in west adelaide ( at kilburn ) again with a number of fields

What they dont want is our code in the spotlight in the city... a 20k rectangular stadium in the cbd would be perfect
their argument is adelaide oval is world class ( bollocks ) and now they are thinking ( along with the city council  ) to upgrade the tennis precint next to adelaide oval
what the fark for ? we dont have any major tournament , there is no regular tenant there ,...

Adelaide united's owners are the coopers family.... they are liberal supporters.
Pus it was labor which labelled the hindmarsh stadium upgrade for the olympics as a white elephant.... never forget
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Excellent development.

The question to Adelaide Fans is should the Reds owners look to turn that 5,000 stadium into 15,000 and make the move there?
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

New $26 million soccer complex to be built at Gepps Cross by Football Federation SA

A NEW $26 million soccer hub featuring a 5000-capacity stadium, four synthetic pitches, an indoor futsal complex and 10 outdoor five-a-side courts will be built at Gepps Cross.

The Advertiser can exclusively reveal Football Federation SA has received State Government funding to establish a State Centre of Football on 15ha of vacant land at the State Sports Park.

The governing body believed the facility, which would be operational by 2020, would boost participation numbers beyond the 40,000 men, women and juniors who play the game in SA.

It would also provide a venue for local club games, state development programs, and national and international tournaments, as well as school and community group use.

FFSA chief executive Michael Carter said the “world class” complex would attract up to 1500 participants weekly.

“It’s got great potential to be the best (soccer) centre in Australia,” Carter said.

An artist’s impression of the new $26 million State Centre of Football which will be built by Football Federation SA at Gepps Cross. Picture: Supplied
The State Centre of Football will feature three indoor futsal courts. Picture: Supplied

“It’s something all of the football community can be very proud of because they’re all going to get an opportunity to participate out of it.

“For this to come to fruition is wonderful for the game and it will be a game-changer for the state.”

The centre will boast a main artificial pitch with a 1000-seat grandstand and standing areas for an extra 4000 spectators.

The ground would be capable of hosting men’s and women’s National Premier Leagues SA games and FFA Cup matches.

It would also be compliant for W-League and National Youth League clashes and would be a potential training venue should Australia stage the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Three additional full-sized synthetic pitches, two with 200-seat stands, are also planned along with change rooms, a gymnasium and a football museum.

Juniors Jayden Kabos (FFSA Skillaroos), Remi Maunder (Fulham United) and Jordan Zielinski (Adelaide Olympic) are excited about the new hub. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe

An indoor futsal centre, with three courts suitable for hosting national championships, will be built at the complex, while FFSA will move its administration headquarters to the site.

Carter said participation numbers would be boosted by the five-a-side pitches, which would host social competitions similar to popular centres interstate and overseas.

“This is for seven-day-a-week, 40-minute games for children right through to 60-year-old adults who used to play but don’t have the ability to participate any more,” Carter said.

“It will be a real destination for spectators to enjoy, and also for players to experience what it’s like to play at a world-class facility.

“The whole facility will be made available to all clubs, including amateur league clubs.

“It allows us to consolidate all of our pathway programs for the boys and girls at one venue, and it’s in the heartland of football.”

An artist’s impression of the 10 synthetic five-a-side pitches at the new Gepps Cross State Centre of Football. Picture: Supplied

The State Government committed $19 million to stage one of the project which would begin this year on land east of the Croatian Sports Centre.

It would likely include the main pitch, second full-sized field, futsal and five-a-side complexes, and administration centre.

Carter said the federation would seek the remaining $7 million from other partners to complete the hub.

Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis said the centre would enhance SA’s reputation as “the spiritual home of Australian football”.

“It will enable the FFSA to develop the game at a community level while hosting national and international competitions,” Koutsantonis said.

Domenic Trimboli, of Fulham United, and Izaak Zielinski, of Adelaide Olympic, will benefit from their clubs’ relocations to improved grounds. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe

The complex will house a multicultural program aimed at educating young migrants through football and creating employment opportunities.

Its construction will also open up space at existing venues for Fulham United to relocate to Adelaide Shores and Adelaide Olympic to move its junior teams to the Parks.

Olympic chairman Stavros Parissos said consolidating his club’s 160 junior players with their senior counterparts at the Angle Park ground would allow it to grow.

“Our juniors from day one have been saying ‘when can we move there with our seniors’ because where they are Ferryden Park, they’re not able take on more kids,” Parissos said.

“We’ve only got one team in each age group because we’ve had to knock back so many kids.

“Now we can consolidate the whole club and have one venue for all our juniors and seniors, and all of our volunteers who are exhausted from having to go between multiple venues.”

The State Centre of Football will boast a 5000-capacity stadium and a new administration base for Football Federation SA. Picture: Supplied

Parissos backed the Gepps Cross centre which he said would help SA catch up to facilities in other states and promote active lifestyles among participants of all ability levels.

Fulham United junior player Remi Maunder was looking forward to trying out the new pitches.

The nine-year-old, who dreamt of playing for Adelaide United and the Matildas, hoped to see some of her idols train there if Australia secured the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

“It would be pretty fun to play soccer on the new fields,” Remi said.

“And the (women’s) World Cup would be cool. I’d like to go and watch that.”

The State Government funding formed part of $30 million in grants handed out for projects at the State Sports Centre.

This included an $8 million Super-drome upgrade and $2 million BMX training facility, as previously reported by The Advertiser.

It would also fund a $1 million change room redevelopment at the State Hockey Centre.

Football Federation SA to build new $26 million soccer hub at Gepps Cross | Messenger

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search