A-League clubs told Tasmanian FIFO games over, homegrown soccer team the priority

A-League clubs told Tasmanian FIFO games over, homegrown soccer team...

Author
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just hold out til we have a full pyramid 
kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

libel - 15 Feb 2018 10:03 AM
kaufusi - 15 Feb 2018 9:53 AM

By the sounds of it, if di Pietro, Sage et al get their way, you won't have to worry about 'southern china fc', you will probably get the real thing.

While the FFA would have limited powers over the independent AL, i'm sure one condition they could make would be all new clubs are based in Australia or have the power to veto any such foreign clubs from joining if it wasn't in the best interests of Australian football. 
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
kaufusi - 15 Feb 2018 4:15 PM
libel - 15 Feb 2018 10:03 AM

While the FFA would have limited powers over the independent AL, i'm sure one condition they could make would be all new clubs are based in Australia or have the power to veto any such foreign clubs from joining if it wasn't in the best interests of Australian football. 

That would be fun to watch.
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Tasmania tears up a deal for HAL games in Tasmania that doesn't actually exist, as leverage to get a HAL team they won't be granted.

Sorry Tassie, need a bit more leverage than that.
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

aufc_ole - 15 Feb 2018 3:42 PM
Just hold out til we have a full pyramid 

I'm sure this guy meant he wants to see it in his lifetime
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Davide82 - 15 Feb 2018 5:03 PM
aufc_ole - 15 Feb 2018 3:42 PM

I'm sure this guy meant he wants to see it in his lifetime

I find myself googling cryogenics

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

bohemia - 15 Feb 2018 4:31 PM
Tasmania tears up a deal for HAL games in Tasmania that doesn't actually exist, as leverage to get a HAL team they won't be granted.

Sorry Tassie, need a bit more leverage than that.

No deal, just not going to chase them anymore. I read that as something that happens behind the scenes.

Also there has been alot of carry on down here regarding the AFL and the state being happy to pay a fortune for some scraps whilst nothing goes back into grassroots, so I'm taking it as a little stab in that direction.

Also with Gallops comments the other day regarring turning football people into A-League fans, I'm taking it as a stand that if he wants Tasmanians as A-League fans then hes goingbto have to give us our oen team.

Edited
6 Years Ago by bigpoppa
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 15 Feb 2018 10:57 AM
Tasmania's best bet is to stop pissing in the HALs pocket, making them look desirable.

and start demanding a Promotion pathway.

I've tried a few different avenues of getting in contact with Belteky. Emailing politicians(no replies) and the most recent messaging the FNR page(replied today the day after the interview?) Stopping short of emailing his workplaces etc. Just to ask out of curiosity if all their eggs are in the A-League basket or if they would consider any future second division or even backing a current NPL club in a second division. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
I'd surmise most people who post on 442, do so  having a local HAL team to follow. Few others post from outside the areas where there are no HAL clubs.

I know there are three of us who post from Tassie.

A greater number  post from Canberra and areas close by.

There are a couple from FNQ. 

How many post from Geelong, Wollongong, Gold Coast?

Outside these areas, the regional and rural areas of most states probably evoke little interest in the HAL. Nearly all posters who follow football and post on this forum have an A League team to follow in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Gosford, Newcastle, Brisbane and Wellington.

Compared to cricket, where I watch top level Tassie born cricketers play in the Shield on a regular basis, I think my interest in A League football is declining with no local team to support. Gallop and Lowy seem barely interested in football spreading to regions outside Sydney.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

bigpoppa - 15 Feb 2018 6:01 PM
Buggalugs 2.0 - 15 Feb 2018 10:57 AM

I've tried a few different avenues of getting in contact with Belteky. Emailing politicians(no replies) and the most recent messaging the FNR page(replied today the day after the interview?) Stopping short of emailing his workplaces etc. Just to ask out of curiosity if all their eggs are in the A-League basket or if they would consider any future second division or even backing a current NPL club in a second division. 

Ring Andrew Wilkie's office.
angusozi
angusozi
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)Hardcore Fan (216 reputation)

Decentric - 17 Feb 2018 8:13 AM
I'd surmise most people who post on 442, do so  having a local HAL team to follow. Few others post from outside the areas where there are no HAL clubs.

Outside these areas, the regional and rural areas of most states probably evoke little interest in the HAL. Nearly all posters who follow football and post on this forum have an A League team to follow in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Gosford, Newcastle, Brisbane and Wellington.

Compared to cricket, where I watch top level Tassie born cricketers play in the Shield on a regular basis, I think my interest in A League football is declining with no local team to support. Gallop and Lowy seem barely interested in football spreading to regions outside Sydney.

Exactly. I had a TCA membership as a teen, and I went to most games and now that I've moved to the mainland around various small cities and towns every couple of years for work I still stream them all. As much as I love football, the only team I can really form an attachement to is the Socceroos so my interest in the A-League also declining, to the point of irrelevance during cricket season. I feel that many Tasmanians aside you and I also feel the same, and even sadder, so many just probably haven't gotten into football because of it. I know this is an argument that we both wheel out in every thread, but everyone seriously estimates how much its "Tasmanian, then Australian" for us, and Tasmanains just thrive on being us vs them with the rest of the country. I think some clever marketing by a Tasmanian A-League club through the enormous amounts of grassroots football that is played amongst kids- free/discounted tickets etc could drag in a lot of parents to the games and hopefully you'd build a nice support base that way. if the state media gets behind the club, and the club is aggressive in it's marketing, I honestly think you could build a sustainable support base. Talent and team success is a different and much more complex matter. Sounds a bit like a weak argument, but our cricket team has pretty consistently done very well for a player pool of our size, so hopefully the club and FFT could draw from that
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Wilkie ups A-League push
NT News-1 timme sedan
The TV audience [from Tasmania] would grow the A-League as there are already teams there in Sydney and also in Melbourne, too. “It would also be a fraction of the cost to a run a team here compared to Melbourne or Sydney.” Mr Wilkie said there needed to be a rectangular stadium built in Hobart, with a ...

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Regionalism works differently around Australia. People from the Gong say they're not Sydney. People from Geelong are from either Geelong or the shit part of Melbourne. People from Tassie are either from the north or south. If you're from anywhere in SA you're from Adelaide. Further north you're from the "top end." If you're from Perth you're south or north of the river. Canberra once had a north/south of the lake thing too, but these days they just dump on Queanbeyan.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend
Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)Legend (20K reputation)

Wilkie ups A-League push

INDEPENDENT Denison MP Andrew Wilkie has branded Tasmania’s A-League bid a project of state significance and called on all levels of government to get behind the proposal.

After Football Federation Australia announced on Friday it was targeting a two team expansion to 12 clubs for the 2019-20 A-League season, Mr Wilkie came out and urged local, state and federal governments to stop at nothing and make “FC Tasmania” come to fruition.

“There is no doubt that all levels of government should work together to get this off the ground,” he said.

“With the Hobart City Council, [games will] be played on local government land and it would be a project of state significance so the state government needs to be behind it.

“And there would need to be some Commonwealth contribution ... as taxpayers shouldn’t foot the bill for sporting teams.”

However, Mr Wilkie said until the state government took the proposal to Canberra, not much could happen.

The Tasmanian bid, led by a consortium fronted by former Melbourne Victory board members Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky, has been pushing for Tasmania’s inclusion since 2016.

Mr Wilkie said their proposal was rock solid compared to others on the cards, including South Melbourne, Geelong, southern Sydney, Wollongong, Canberra and Brisbane.

“The Belteky proposal is a standout proposal compared to the Mickey Mouse ones in New South Wales, the ACT and Victoria.

“You’d have a team in Hobart over New South Wales or the ACT. The TV audience [from Tasmania] would grow the A-League as there are already teams there in Sydney and also in Melbourne, too.

“It would also be a fraction of the cost to a run a team here compared to Melbourne or Sydney.”

Mr Wilkie said there needed to be a rectangular stadium built in Hobart, with a 10,000-15,000 seat stadium proposed for near Cleary’s Gates off the Brooker Highway.

“But we are confident FFA would accept an interim venue like North Hobart Oval.”

Other contenders include Blundstone Arena or UTAS Stadium.

Premier and Sports Minister Will Hodgman was hopeful a deal could be struck for funding of a new stadium if an A-League licence was secured.

“But I think we’re some way off that being materialised because ... we need to ensure there’s a licence and that it’s supported and sustainable,” he said.

“Once that’s secured and our future is a little clearer, I think we should look at an opportunity to ... invest in infrastructure, not just government but also the consortium.”

Mr Wilkie will attempt to contact Robert Belteky next week. He was unable to be reached yesterday.

HCC general manager Nick Health could not be contacted.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/wilkie-ups-aleague-push/news-story/d0e3de0b2656c05d184f5d751da9eab7

Arthur
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

As I keep saying;

Populate a 2nd Division

Allow them develop theieinfrastructure and Human Capital.

Then allow them to win promotion to populate the A-League.

Start using the World's Gold Standard Football structures!

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Decentric - 17 Feb 2018 8:14 AM
bigpoppa - 15 Feb 2018 6:01 PM

Ring Andrew Wilkie's office.

And tell him to push for a full Pyramid  not buying into a Monopoly

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Savic
Savic
Rising Star
Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)Rising Star (999 reputation)

Four clubs in in season after next (if it has to be so late)..
South Sydney, Wollongong, Brisbane City, South Melbourne (It's time).

Then, a few years later Dandenong, 2nd Adelaide, Canberra and Tassie.

As much as I hate to say it, flick Wellington and replace with another Sydney team (campbelltown etc). Our own country is just so fucked now that i can't argue for nz's inclusion anymore.

18 team 1st division with 34 rounds.

Then 12 team 2nd division mainly selected from existing npl clubs with a few newbies. Perth should have a second team in here. 33 rounds home and away with with randomly selected home/away for the third meeting.

Bloody make it happen FFA. This should be the agenda for the next 10 years and think about the whole shebang that could exist in that short amount of time by engaging football people and already existing fans of the game.

Go Tassie and one day a team from central and western vic and other boondock locations can one day shoot for the same.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

It's easier to get blood from a stone.

FFA aren't looking to increase costs by ca 40%
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

Buggalugs 2.0 - 18 Feb 2018 11:00 AM
Decentric - 17 Feb 2018 8:14 AM

And tell him to push for a full Pyramid  not buying into a Monopoly

Well my question to all of them was to ask Belteky if its purely an A-League bid or would they consider second division status.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

NPL clubs’ mixed reaction to Tasmanian A-League bid

TWO of Tasmania’s biggest NPL clubs have thrown their support behind the state’s push for an A-League team, but one club president has poured cold water on the idea.

FFA announced last week that it is targeting the 2019-20 season to start two new clubs, and intends to decide later this year which teams will enter the competition.

South Hobart coach Ken Morton and Hobart Zebras president Nick Di Giovanni are all for Tasmania’s bid, but Olympia Warriors president George Mamacas does not believe it will get off the ground.

A consortium, fronted by former Melbourne Victory board members Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky, has been pushing for Tasmania’s inclusion in the national competition since 2016.

MORE: A-LEAGUE’S EXPANSION COULD PUT TASSIE ON THE MAP

MORE: WILKIE UPS A-LEAGUE PUSH

Morton believes a Tasmanian A-League team would provide local players with more opportunities to play on the national stage.

“I’m 100 per cent behind getting an A-League team in Tasmania, I think we can add something to the competition,” Morton said.

“How can they keep pushing us aside? This is a great opportunity because for once Tasmania have got genuine people behind the bid who are really keen to get Tasmania on the map.

“They’ve got the financial backing to do that and to take us places.”

Di Giovanni would love to see a Tasmanian team in the national competition.

“We all support a Tasmanian A-League bid,” Di Giovanni said.

“I don’t know how it would go, but we would support it.

“If we get the government support and the people support behind it, FFA might take a serious look at it.”

However, Di Giovanni believes the team would need to play games in both the north and south of Tasmania to unite the state, and said a rectangular stadium is a must.

Speaking from a personal perspective, Mamacas said he would need answers to a lot of questions before he can get behind Tasmania’s bid.

“I really think there are too many hurdles to jump over for this to happen any time soon,” Mamacas said.

“I think FFA’s focus is on the mainland in other bigger, wider markets than Tasmania.

“There are too many unknowns, and there’s too much money that needs to be spent to get it off the ground first of all. Second of all I don’t think there is the groundswell of dollars at the end of the day to support it from the public.”

An FFA spokesman welcomed the interest from Tasmania.

“We are encouraged by the interest that’s been shown to date, including from Tasmania,” the spokesman said.

“We look forward to engaging with all interested parties when the process begins, and there will be more details next month.”

Mamacas also confirmed that Dale Itchins will coach the Warriors in the coming NPL Tasmania season.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/npl-clubs-mixed-reaction-to-tasmanian-aleague-bid/news-story/8783055dfa3d27e7533a817aee72f7fe
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

NPL clubs’ mixed reaction to Tasmanian A-League bid

TWO of Tasmania’s biggest NPL clubs have thrown their support behind the state’s push for an A-League team, but one club president has poured cold water on the idea.

FFA announced last week that it is targeting the 2019-20 season to start two new clubs, and intends to decide later this year which teams will enter the competition.

South Hobart coach Ken Morton and Hobart Zebras president Nick Di Giovanni are all for Tasmania’s bid, but Olympia Warriors president George Mamacas does not believe it will get off the ground.

A consortium, fronted by former Melbourne Victory board members Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky, has been pushing for Tasmania’s inclusion in the national competition since 2016.

MORE: A-LEAGUE’S EXPANSION COULD PUT TASSIE ON THE MAP

MORE: WILKIE UPS A-LEAGUE PUSH

Morton believes a Tasmanian A-League team would provide local players with more opportunities to play on the national stage.

“I’m 100 per cent behind getting an A-League team in Tasmania, I think we can add something to the competition,” Morton said.

“How can they keep pushing us aside? This is a great opportunity because for once Tasmania have got genuine people behind the bid who are really keen to get Tasmania on the map.

“They’ve got the financial backing to do that and to take us places.”

Di Giovanni would love to see a Tasmanian team in the national competition.

“We all support a Tasmanian A-League bid,” Di Giovanni said.

“I don’t know how it would go, but we would support it.

“If we get the government support and the people support behind it, FFA might take a serious look at it.”

However, Di Giovanni believes the team would need to play games in both the north and south of Tasmania to unite the state, and said a rectangular stadium is a must.

Speaking from a personal perspective, Mamacas said he would need answers to a lot of questions before he can get behind Tasmania’s bid.

“I really think there are too many hurdles to jump over for this to happen any time soon,” Mamacas said.

“I think FFA’s focus is on the mainland in other bigger, wider markets than Tasmania.

“There are too many unknowns, and there’s too much money that needs to be spent to get it off the ground first of all. Second of all I don’t think there is the groundswell of dollars at the end of the day to support it from the public.”

An FFA spokesman welcomed the interest from Tasmania.

“We are encouraged by the interest that’s been shown to date, including from Tasmania,” the spokesman said.

“We look forward to engaging with all interested parties when the process begins, and there will be more details next month.”

Mamacas also confirmed that Dale Itchins will coach the Warriors in the coming NPL Tasmania season.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/npl-clubs-mixed-reaction-to-tasmanian-aleague-bid/news-story/8783055dfa3d27e7533a817aee72f7fe
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

scott21 - 19 Feb 2018 10:35 PM
Speaking from a personal perspective, Mamacas said he would need answers to a lot of questions before he can get behind Tasmania’s bid.“I really think there are too many hurdles to jump over for this to happen any time soon,” Mamacas said.“I think FFA’s focus is on the mainland in other bigger, wider markets than Tasmania.“There are too many unknowns, and there’s too much money that needs to be spent to get it off the ground first of all. Second of all I don’t think there is the groundswell of dollars at the end of the day to support it from the public.”

Mamacas probably has the money himself.

He is a controversial character, having been the Olympia president for years.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

scott21 - 19 Feb 2018 10:39 PM
Morton believes a Tasmanian A-League team would provide local players with more opportunities to play on the national stage.“I’m 100 per cent behind getting an A-League team in Tasmania, I think we can add something to the competition,” Morton said.“How can they keep pushing us aside? This is a great opportunity because for once Tasmania have got genuine people behind the bid who are really keen to get Tasmania on the map.“They’ve got the financial backing to do that and to take us places.”Di Giovanni would love to see a Tasmanian team in the national competition.“We all support a Tasmanian A-League bid,” Di Giovanni said.“I don’t know how it would go, but we would support it.“If we get the government support and the people support behind it, FFA might take a serious look at it.”However, Di Giovanni believes the team would need to play games in both the north and south of Tasmania to unite the state, and said a rectangular stadium is a must.story/8783055dfa3d27e7533a817aee72f7fe

Morton and Di Giovani would reflect all other clubs outside Olympia. The notable exception is that games should be played in both ends of the state. Di Giovani contends this needs to be the case.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

The Devonport Striker support Tasmania's A-League bid

Rod Andrews
 Rod Andrews

A successful bid for a Tasmanian team in an expanded A-League competition would be vital to the continued progression of soccer in Tasmania, says Devonport Strikers president Rod Andrews.

The expansion debate reopened after Football Federation Australia announced two teams would be added to the A-League for the 2019-20 season, with Tasmania among the hopeful bidders.

Although the North-West Coast has been successful at developing junior soccer players, Andrews believed a successful A-League team bid in Tasmania would need to be Hobart-based due to the population numbers.

“As a football entity and as a club, we are 120 percent supportive of this bid and it is something Tasmania can do and it would move Tasmanian football to places it has never been,” Andrews said

Together: The Devonport Strikers would chase a place in a A-League second tier competition if a promotion and relegation model is created. Picture: Cordell Richardson.

Together: The Devonport Strikers would chase a place in a A-League second tier competition if a promotion and relegation model is created. Picture: Cordell Richardson.

“For where the team has to be based, It has got to be in Hobart as they have the population base and the infrastructure to support something like this.”

Andrews said the Tasmanian A-League team would also help create a pathway for home grown players, who would not have to risk going interstate to get an opportunity.

“It would be great to keep talent players in Tasmania would be fantastic and even bring some back home to increase the talent base.

“I can think of five or six guys that are playing in Victoria in the higher echelon of NPL1 and these guys can get lost in the system, even though the talent is there.”

The A-League has also discussed the possibility of the A-League eventually being a two-tier system with promotion and relegation between the two leagues.

Andrews said a place in the second tier competition should be something the North-West Coast looked at supporting.

“There is a talk of a second tier competition, with the FFA machinations and FIFA’s involvement, it is looking potentially closer.

“It is something the North-West Coast should significantly consider, it is something we could promote and something we could stage. We have the facilities, the infrastructure and although the costs are way beyond what we have at the moment, they are affordable and sustainable.”

But if a second tier team in Tasmania was chosen to come out of Hobart, Andrews believed it could be the end of competitive soccer across the Northern Tasmania.

“I would be really upset if there was an A-League club in Hobart and a second tier team got up from Hobart.

“You would see a massive player drain, if you weren’t in A-League, you’d be playing in the second tier competition if you had talent, it wouldn’t leave much in the North of the state.”

A-League bid crucial for Tas soccer | The Advocate

bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro

I agree with him about the A-League club being based solely based in Hobart.

I'm not sure his point regarding leaving the standard of Tassie football poor. Maybe initially but having pathways especially at different levels would eventually raise the standard to new heights.

That's most of the bigger clubs state wide backing an A-League side. I'm personally torn about it now. I can envisage what it would immediately do for the state in terms of raising the sports profile and fast tracking infrastructure etc but I'm not sold on supporting the A-League in its current format. I also believe though that a club in the second division would have a similar effect longer term albeit without the mass immediate fanfare. Tasmanians will back our own no matter what, a second division side would just take abit longer to get the recognition I'm assuming.

It is great though to see Devonport throw their hat into the ring re; second division, it's be great travelling an hour to support a second division side opposed to two to Hobart and it would be a great story a town of 20 odd thousand competing against the big boys

It'd also open a few eyes to the juggernaut of football if Devonport can't sustain a team in the Tas AFL state league but the Devonport Striker play in a national competition.

aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

I know nothing about Tasmania. Except they like to chop wood.

If you caught a ferry from Melbourne where does it go? (Fastest/best)

Is there a stadium there?

Tas gov should be going hard pushing tourism. Especially from Melbourne. Create a Victory to Tasmania weekend long weekend each season (in a closed league of course)
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

scott21 - 22 Feb 2018 10:31 PM
I know nothing about Tasmania. Except they like to chop wood.If you caught a ferry from Melbourne where does it go? (Fastest/best)Is there a stadium there?Tas gov should be going hard pushing tourism. Especially from Melbourne. Create a Victory to Tasmania weekend long weekend each season (in a closed league of course)

It goes to Devonport.  From there its 1 hours drive to Launceston and 3 hours to Hobart.
aussie scott21
aussie scott21
Legend

Former Socceroo Dominic Longo backs Tassie’s A-League bid

TASMANIA’S most recent Socceroo has backed Tasmania’s bid for an A-League team, declaring the state a “sleeping giant” of the sport.

Dominic Longo, who made 13 appearances for the Socceroos between 1993 and 1998, believes an A-League team would do wonders for youth development in the state.

“If there’s probably a sleeping giant in soccer at the ­moment, it’s in Tassie,” Longo told the Mercury.

“There’s a lot of people down there who love playing soccer and love playing football, so I see it as a big benefit [and] a good growth opportunity if an A-League side does get in down there.

“It would be special.

“Hopefully I will get to see it in my lifetime.”

Football Federation Australia is aiming to start two new clubs for the 2019-20 season and intends to decide which teams will enter the competition later this year.

A consortium fronted by former Melbourne Victory board members Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky is pushing for Tasmania’s ­inclusion, and Longo believes Tasmania is a good chance to be one of the new teams.

“I think with the Melbourne consortium and the right people behind it, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be looked upon favourably,” he said.

New Football Federation Tasmania president Bob Gordon added his voice to the growing chorus of support for the state’s A-League bid.

“At a time when AFL is ­ignoring the state on the issue of expansion, this represents a truly golden opportunity for football to steal a march and give Tasmania the professional sporting team it has long been crying out for,” Gordon said.

However, Gordon said, an A-League licence would present new challenges.

“When we get an A-League side that is only going to further grow the game, which would only exacerbate the ­already urgent need for new ­facilities,” he said.

“We have the highest participation rate of any sport in the state, but right now we simply don’t have enough pitches.”

Dominic Longo was born and raised in Tasmania before moving interstate when he was 16, and went on to represent Australia at the 1992 Olympics.

He lives in Sydney, but ­believes an A-League team could unite the state and accelerate youth development.

“I think the A-League bid, if successful, would provide a real solid pathway for young kids in Tassie who want to pursue the Socceroos as a career,” he said.

“Trying to become a Socceroo requires a lot of dedication and determination. It isn’t easy, but if there was that career path for an A-League side in Tassie it would definitely fast-track the knowledge of those players around Australia and internationally.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/former-socceroo-dominic-longo-backs-tassies-aleague-bid/news-story/2ef740e63a12b1c976c2b71189be06fd
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

angusozi - 17 Feb 2018 10:05 AM

Exactly. I had a TCA membership as a teen, and I went to most games and now that I've moved to the mainland around various small cities and towns every couple of years for work I still stream them all. As much as I love football, the only team I can really form an attachement to is the Socceroos so my interest in the A-League also declining, to the point of irrelevance during cricket season. I feel that many Tasmanians aside you and I also feel the same, and even sadder, so many just probably haven't gotten into football because of it. I know this is an argument that we both wheel out in every thread, but everyone seriously estimates how much its "Tasmanian, then Australian" for us, and Tasmanains just thrive on being us vs them with the rest of the country. I think some clever marketing by a Tasmanian A-League club through the enormous amounts of grassroots football that is played amongst kids- free/discounted tickets etc could drag in a lot of parents to the games and hopefully you'd build a nice support base that way. if the state media gets behind the club, and the club is aggressive in it's marketing, I honestly think you could build a sustainable support base. Talent and team success is a different and much more complex matter. Sounds a bit like a weak argument, but our cricket team has pretty consistently done very well for a player pool of our size, so hopefully the club and FFT could draw from that

Agree with all this.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

scott21 - 27 Feb 2018 2:00 AM
Former Socceroo Dominic Longo backs Tassie’s A-League bidTASMANIA’S most recent Socceroo has backed Tasmania’s bid for an A-League team, declaring the state a “sleeping giant” of the sport.Dominic Longo, who made 13 appearances for the Socceroos between 1993 and 1998, believes an A-League team would do wonders for youth development in the state.“If there’s probably a sleeping giant in soccer at the ­moment, it’s in Tassie,” Longo told the Mercury.“There’s a lot of people down there who love playing soccer and love playing football, so I see it as a big benefit [and] a good growth opportunity if an A-League side does get in down there.“It would be special.“Hopefully I will get to see it in my lifetime.”Football Federation Australia is aiming to start two new clubs for the 2019-20 season and intends to decide which teams will enter the competition later this year.A consortium fronted by former Melbourne Victory board members Harry Stamoulis and Robert Belteky is pushing for Tasmania’s ­inclusion, and Longo believes Tasmania is a good chance to be one of the new teams.“I think with the Melbourne consortium and the right people behind it, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be looked upon favourably,” he said.New Football Federation Tasmania president Bob Gordon added his voice to the growing chorus of support for the state’s A-League bid.“At a time when AFL is ­ignoring the state on the issue of expansion, this represents a truly golden opportunity for football to steal a march and give Tasmania the professional sporting team it has long been crying out for,” Gordon said.However, Gordon said, an A-League licence would present new challenges.“When we get an A-League side that is only going to further grow the game, which would only exacerbate the ­already urgent need for new ­facilities,” he said.“We have the highest participation rate of any sport in the state, but right now we simply don’t have enough pitches.”Dominic Longo was born and raised in Tasmania before moving interstate when he was 16, and went on to represent Australia at the 1992 Olympics.He lives in Sydney, but ­believes an A-League team could unite the state and accelerate youth development.“I think the A-League bid, if successful, would provide a real solid pathway for young kids in Tassie who want to pursue the Socceroos as a career,” he said.“Trying to become a Socceroo requires a lot of dedication and determination. It isn’t easy, but if there was that career path for an A-League side in Tassie it would definitely fast-track the knowledge of those players around Australia and internationally.”http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/former-socceroo-dominic-longo-backs-tassies-aleague-bid/news-story/2ef740e63a12b1c976c2b71189be06fd

This is a bit like the Tas media in the AFL bid.

They create news stories from former pre-eminent players advancing opinions.

Bob Gordon's opinion is far more noteworthy than Luongo's. In his role as FFT president he would have been involved in the debate regarding the decision to reject HAL practice games.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search