Optus Sport now open to non-Optus customers for $14.99/month

Optus Sport now open to non-Optus customers for $14.99/month

Author
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Munrubenmuz - 1 May 2018 10:09 AM
walnuts - 1 May 2018 9:25 AM

Just out of interest is that locked to your phone or can you cast that to your telly?

Nup you can chrome cast to your tv. Also works with Apple TV, web browser and Fetch TV.

It's pretty bloody good when you consider it includes every single game plus all the other programs around it for a full month for $15. Plus it will lead into next EPL season without phone lock in contracts etc.
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

walnuts - 1 May 2018 10:57 AM
jlm8695 - 1 May 2018 10:52 AM

I've been nothing but impressed with the Optus Sport offering - worked through a few early kinks to become a top notch service and, imo, the gold standard for sports streaming in this country at the moment.

I'd really like to see more sport on there tbh.  If it's not a Saturday night, there's little I actually watch on it sports related.

Even international cricket, rugby, second tier leagues, hurling... the their winter olympics coverage with 7 was alright, but the Commonwealth games was a terrible experience with ads randomly coming in over medal ceremonies
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 1 May 2018 3:14 PM
walnuts - 1 May 2018 10:57 AM

I'd really like to see more sport on there tbh.  If it's not a Saturday night, there's little I actually watch on it sports related.

Even international cricket, rugby, second tier leagues, hurling... the their winter olympics coverage with 7 was alright, but the Commonwealth games was a terrible experience with ads randomly coming in over medal ceremonies

I think that will come - not sure why the Optus deal for cricket doesn't use the Optus Sport app but yeah, it shall come.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

So no one can tell me why the Optus EPL coverage is so impressive? Just because it's not foxtel? Fair enough. 
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 1 May 2018 10:38 AM
Optus they ruined the premier league... but $15 a month isn’t to bad for the World Cup

It will also be $15 for EPL apparently.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

New Signing - 1 May 2018 11:05 AM
Just do what i did and swap your wife's service provider on her phone

Why? You don't need to do that now anyway. Im with Vodafone and when they open up this offer in a couple of weeks I'll just sign up via the play store. I already have the app from last year's August free month and it was awesome!
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class
World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)World Class (7.5K reputation)

Derider - 1 May 2018 3:23 PM
So no one can tell me why the Optus EPL coverage is so impressive? Just because it's not foxtel? Fair enough. 

I'd say it's based on the amount of content they put out.

The games are the same, but they have a dedicated channel just to show repeats of the games, reviews, highlights, news and other shows with guests.  Overall it is fairly alright and considering we were going to get the NBN we decided on Optus for the football and it's been worth the money.  There's a bunch of crap on there, but overall it's not bad.  You can also access Netflix and Stan if you're really desperate for entertainment.
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

ErogenousZone - 1 May 2018 11:05 AM
walnuts - 1 May 2018 11:04 AM

Sweet, then I can just HDMI the  laptop to my TV.   

Or you can get a Chromecast which costs like $50 and you can instantly stream at a press of a button from your phone without ever having to get up and link the laptop to the tv. 
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Coverdale - 1 May 2018 1:15 PM
I dunno the casual punter probably just watches the Socceroos. I’m keen to see what games sbs will show before investing in Optus. I expect I’ll need to though. Was facing a disengaged World Cup without this arrangement.

Come on it's a one off $15 fee for a full month's worth of content for the biggest sporting event in the past 4 years. If people are deciding whether it's worth it then this is the least of their worries in their lives. Saving $15 elsewhere on "luxury" items should be very doable. 
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

RedshirtWilly - 1 May 2018 3:32 PM
Derider - 1 May 2018 3:23 PM

I'd say it's based on the amount of content they put out.

The games are the same, but they have a dedicated channel just to show repeats of the games, reviews, highlights, news and other shows with guests.  Overall it is fairly alright and considering we were going to get the NBN we decided on Optus for the football and it's been worth the money.  There's a bunch of crap on there, but overall it's not bad.  You can also access Netflix and Stan if you're really desperate for entertainment.

Oh I know. I have Fetch TV. I just think their overall coverage leaves a lot to be desired and feels a bit cheap. No Australian analysts or points of view,  endless goal montages, absolutely no content other than EPL. I can't believe people are actually "impressed". Foxtel was a million times better. 
RedshirtWilly
RedshirtWilly
World Class

Derider - 1 May 2018 3:37 PM

Oh I know. I have Fetch TV. I just think their overall coverage leaves a lot to be desired and feels a bit cheap. No Australian analysts or points of view,  endless goal montages, absolutely no content other than EPL. I can't believe people are actually "impressed". Foxtel was a million times better. 

Yeh I agree.  I often feel like i'm just watching a syndication (and I know I probably am).  Closest thing i've seen them do to what you described was to have Michael Bridges and Mark Schwarzer tour a British jersey shop recently.

I do hope more content is coming soon but I signed up for the live premier league, and that's what I got, so i'm happy.
Edited
6 Years Ago by RedshirtWilly
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Other than to talk about aussie players (the very few that there are in the EPL), why would it matter if it's anchored by aussies or not? I'd rather listen to the locals dissect and analyse the games tbh. Bigger tv personalities anyway. 

I wouldn't want to watch NBA and all the pre and post game by some aussie crew for example. I'd rather listen to local Americans as it's their league.
Derider
Derider
Pro

Davo1985 - 1 May 2018 3:42 PM

Other than to talk about aussie players (the very few that there are in the EPL), why would it matter if it's anchored by aussies or not? I'd rather listen to the locals dissect and analyse the games tbh. Bigger tv personalities anyway. 

I wouldn't want to watch NBA and all the pre and post game by some aussie crew for example. I'd rather listen to local Americans as it's their league.

I dunno, I'd much rather listen to Bozz than, say,  Alan Curbishley. The Foxtel crew could be entertaining all on its own. I also liked the discussions about Australian football as it relates to the European leagues. Now all the analysis is hopelessly dry, boring, and completely England-centric.  And there's barely any content apart from the epl replays. Other than the actual live games, I just don't get any use out of Optus sport. It's far from impressive. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by Derider
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Davo1985 - 1 May 2018 3:33 PM
ErogenousZone - 1 May 2018 11:05 AM

Or you can get a Chromecast which costs like $50 and you can instantly stream at a press of a button from your phone without ever having to get up and link the laptop to the tv. 

I've got the chromecast dongle but it's the app that needs the casting ability built into it. Does the optus app you'd stream this on your phone with have the little chromecast icon in it?

And $15 is cheap as chips. 

Member since 2008.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Bargain

Was gonna upgrade my phone with Optus but this has kinda pushed that decision back...
Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Derider - 1 May 2018 3:48 PM

I dunno, I'd much rather listen to Bozz than, say,  Alan Curbishley. The Foxtel crew could be entertaining all on its own. I also liked the discussions about Australian football as it relates to the European leagues. Now all the analysis is hopelessly dry, boring, and completely England-centric.  And there's barely any content apart from the epl replays. Other than the actual live games, I just don't get any use out of Optus sport. It's far from impressive. 

Fair call I guess. I don't feel as repulsed as you. At the very least they have some serious pre and post game discussions that last a lot longer than 15-20 minutes. I found when games were on late in the evening on Foxtel the crew would shut shop at half time because it was too late to have a post game review with interviews at 2am. That's the main issue I have with an Aussie team presenting here. 

Davo1985
Davo1985
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 1 May 2018 3:51 PM
Davo1985 - 1 May 2018 3:33 PM

I've got the chromecast dongle but it's the app that needs the casting ability built into it. Does the optus app you'd stream this on your phone with have the little chromecast icon in it?

And $15 is cheap as chips. 

Yes it has Chromecast capability. I've done it many times previously. Ie it has the little chrome cast icon to project to the large screen.
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

Davo1985 - 1 May 2018 3:57 PM

Yes it has Chromecast capability. I've done it many times previously. Ie it has the little chrome cast icon to project to the large screen.

Chuck it up on the screen on a satty night and watch it till you fall asleep data free. 

Yet people are wanting it on foxtel so we can go back to extortion and data charges. 

Fuck that shit.

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Thing is $15 a month for the EPL is probably too much. With the big club's channels  - United, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal -  you get all the big games each week, albeit delayed by 10 hours. With most of them in the middle of the night, and SBS having one of the Saturday games you still get a lot. 

I also wonder what this means for SBS's game. If Optus have all WC games now, they don't need to do another deal with SBS for the next WC after the current deal expires in a years time. So no more EPL outside of the Optus paywall...? 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

kaufusi - 1 May 2018 4:02 PM
Thing is $15 a month for the EPL is probably too much. With the big club's channels  - United, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal -  you get all the big games each week, albeit delayed by 10 hours. With most of them in the middle of the night, and SBS having one of the Saturday games you still get a lot. 

I also wonder what this means for SBS's game. If Optus have all WC games now, they don't need to do another deal with SBS for the next WC after the current deal expires in a years time. So no more EPL outside of the Optus paywall...? 

Theyll give them one game and at the cost of shit tonnes of optus ads so thatll be fun. 

walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Optus also cconfirmed that they've extended their EPL deal for a further three seasons - source
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Davo1985 - 1 May 2018 3:57 PM

Cheers mate.

Member since 2008.

aufc_ole
aufc_ole
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

People were whinging when Foxtel had the EPL, seems like they're now also whinging about Optus having  the EPL.. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 1 May 2018 10:38 AM
Optus they ruined the premier league... but $15 a month isn’t to bad for the World Cup

how? I remember trying to watch the foxtel stream and it would be dogshit. At least with optus we are acutally getting the full UK stream, post-game shows, highlights, updates.

Trying to catch up on the EPL when foxtel had the right was a fucking nightmare. Mooy's in half the fucking EPL ads on optus lol.
Edited
6 Years Ago by jas88
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

you obviously don't watch it. They usually have Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood(he has mentioned Ryan and Mooy quite a lot.. ), ex-players, etc.

You ever watched Bill & Boz? its the most cringeworthy sports show I've ever seen.
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

jas88 - 1 May 2018 6:32 PM

you obviously don't watch it. They usually have Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood(he has mentioned Ryan and Mooy quite a lot.. ), ex-players, etc.

You ever watched Bill & Boz? its the most cringeworthy sports show I've ever seen.

Can you watch matches on catch up ? 
Derider
Derider
Pro

lukerobinho - 1 May 2018 7:12 PM
jas88 - 1 May 2018 6:32 PM

Can you watch matches on catch up ? 

Yes. 
bigpoppa
bigpoppa
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Yep Optus Sports, Bein Sports and NPL on youtube/Facebook streamed via chromecast and you have so much football content for less than Fox.
kiwi keith
kiwi keith
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

Are they coming to New Zealand?
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

It's the ENGLISH premier league, not the A League. Do you just moan for the fuck of it ?

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search