Wellington to merge with Sydney consortium

Wellington to merge with Sydney consortium

Author
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
HeyItsRobbie - 11 May 2018 8:47 PM
melbourne_terrace - 11 May 2018 8:36 PM

i doubt it. the NRL club only used "Western Suburbs Magpies" in their name, not "South West Sydney Magpies". i doubt there would be any issues

Honestly I'm thinking more about Collingwood, rather than confusion with the old Rugby League team (who should never have merged with Balmain imo). 

It's one thing to have Tigers and Bulldogs in both NRL and AFL when they are old clubs that evolved into national league teams. It's another to chose a name for a new club that already belongs to one of the biggest teams in the country.

Same reason (among a lot of other things) why I think the Brisbane Bombers bid in the NRL is fucking idiotic.

Viennese Vuck

JayEss
JayEss
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

please no.

Schillaci
Schillaci
Weekender
Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)Weekender (33 reputation)

1. Anything that kills off southern expansion is good.

2. South Western Sydney is mouthful. Surely Macathur, Campbelltown or Liverpool would be better. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by Schillaci
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 11 May 2018 10:00 PM

Honestly I'm thinking more about Collingwood, rather than confusion with the old Rugby League team (who should never have merged with Balmain imo). 

It's one thing to have Tigers and Bulldogs in both NRL and AFL when they are old clubs that evolved into national league teams. It's another to chose a name for a new club that already belongs to one of the biggest teams in the country.

Same reason (among a lot of other things) why I think the Brisbane Bombers bid in the NRL is fucking idiotic.

So does Robbies response allay your concerns? And why would it really matter, they wouldn't have too much crossover of anti-collingwood, pro south west sydney-siders though would they? 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Schillaci - 11 May 2018 10:26 PM
1. Anything that kills off southern expansion is good.

2. South Western Sydney is mouthful. Surely Macathur, Campbelltown or Liverpool would be better. 

South Western Sydney Phoenix is ok for the die hard's.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

HeyItsRobbie - 11 May 2018 5:25 PM
on the bright side, should the south west sydney team succeeds and gets decent enough crowds, its going to be financially good for everyone in sydney.

i also believe this team will have many NZ players in the club too.

it should be on the GC then.  it's pretty much a kiwi town.

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Nobody will support such a team.its a tactic.
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

If the licence moves outright to SWS, does this mean no NZ left in the A-League? 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend

sanchez - 11 May 2018 10:56 PM

So does Robbies response allay your concerns? And why would it really matter, they wouldn't have too much crossover of anti-collingwood, pro south west sydney-siders though would they? 

Maybe I am nitpicking, . If the local football community want it, then I'll certainly back it.  Black and White kit definitely sounds good though. 

But if they try to keep the link with Wellington, then it can fuck off. Would rather FFA block the transfer, pull the licence and wait for it to be done properly later on.

Viennese Vuck

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Macathur,  Phoenix ... 

Are they planning to play at the 18K stadium at Campbelltown.
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 11 May 2018 11:39 PM
sanchez - 11 May 2018 10:56 PM

Maybe I am nitpicking, . If the local football community want it, then I'll certainly back it.  Black and White kit definitely sounds good though. 

But if they try to keep the link with Wellington, then it can fuck off. Would rather FFA block the transfer, pull the licence and wait for it to be done properly later on.

I mean Collingwood are a massive club (relatively) and are certainly hated!
I agree Re Wellington links. Any Frankenstein merger whatsoever would be the absolute worst thing to happen  So you know FFA will do just that. 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

MrBrisbane - 11 May 2018 5:36 PM
The question is who would really want to support the team from either side? 

Nobody really. Crowds in Wellington will surely drop, with plenty of the Phoenix faithful finally saying enough is enough. Meanwhile you'd be lucky to pull 2-3k in Sydney, but I guess the games vs Sydney and Wanderers will pump up the average.  

This is an absolutely ridiculous proposal that the FFA should be pouring cold water over immediately, but this is the FFA we are talking about here, so they'll likely do the opposite and approve this. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Nix should have never signed up to the ridiculous metric driven licence agreement. If this is a way out of it then so be it but its as dumb as a South Australian. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

As far as IP law is concerned Collingwood can quite comfortably get fucked (and like it).
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

RedKat - 11 May 2018 5:34 PM
Midfielder - 11 May 2018 5:30 PM

More like expansion from  9 Australia 1 NZ to 10 Australian

This .

TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

This is hilarious. If this sort of thing happens the aleague will meet its demise. Mismanagement from the top.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I feel sorry for the Wellington fans
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

We are just laughing at the trolls it brings out on both sides of the creek.

Clear Contact There

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Sooo... can someone explain why this is such a bad thing? Wellington obviously isn't working and I thought most of you supported another Western Sydney team? SWS comes in, Phoenix goes out, the two expansion spots remain available. Frankly, it sounds like win-win to me. So why all the whinging? I genuinely don't get it. 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Derider - 12 May 2018 11:14 AM
Sooo... can someone explain why this is such a bad thing? Wellington obviously isn't working and I thought most of you supported another Western Sydney team? SWS comes in, Phoenix goes out, the two expansion spots remain available. Frankly, it sounds like win-win to me. So why all the whinging? I genuinely don't get it. 

Half the games in Wellington and SWS, an absolute farce that is why.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

City Sam - 12 May 2018 11:29 AM
Derider - 12 May 2018 11:14 AM

Half the games in Wellington and SWS, an absolute farce that is why.

They won't play half the games in Wellington. That would make no commercial sense. They're probably just saying that to appease the Phoenix fans for now. Letting them down gently before the reality sets in. 
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I think people are happy if it is 100% offloaded to SWS but as it stands, it's a joke.
Derider
Derider
Pro

Burztur - 12 May 2018 12:08 PM
I think people are happy if it is 100% offloaded to SWS but as it stands, it's a joke.

It will be offloaded. The only way it comes close to feasible is if they play all their games in Sydney. Kind of like when Fitzroy merged with Brisbane in AFL. Fitzroy contributed the nickname but otherwise disappeared. It is a 100% Brisbane team. So whatever, let this new team be called SWS Phoenix. There's your Wellington connection. You don't have to actually play there. 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Derider - 12 May 2018 12:38 PM
Burztur - 12 May 2018 12:08 PM

It will be offloaded. The only way it comes close to feasible is if they play all their games in Sydney. Kind of like when Fitzroy merged with Brisbane in AFL. Fitzroy contributed the nickname but otherwise disappeared. It is a 100% Brisbane team. So whatever, let this new team be called SWS Phoenix. There's your Wellington connection. You don't have to actually play there. 

Rising from the ashes of NZ football.

BTW Western Suburbs (who had their club in what is now classified as inner west Five Dock) were the Magpies and one of the foundation NSL clubs.
BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

RedKat - 11 May 2018 5:34 PM
Midfielder - 11 May 2018 5:30 PM

More like expansion from  9 Australia 1 NZ to 10 Australian

Yep. The way things are, we will only ever have a 10 team league. 

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

HeyItsRobbie
HeyItsRobbie
World Class
World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)World Class (6.8K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 12 May 2018 10:10 AM
I feel sorry for the Wellington fans

This wouldn't happen if they followed us into the AFC, and correct me if im wrong, but NZ football doesnt want to be in the AFC
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

patjennings - 12 May 2018 1:56 PM
Derider - 12 May 2018 12:38 PM

Rising from the ashes of NZ football.

BTW Western Suburbs (who had their club in what is now classified as inner west Five Dock) were the Magpies and one of the foundation NSL clubs.

They lasted a couple of years then merged with APIA.

Not a bad team - 3 members of the 1974 world cup squad including the captain Peter Wilson.
nomates
nomates
World Class

TV3 NZ said 3 home games in Wellington the rest to be played in Sth West Sydney. Looks to be a done deal with the merge and not selling full out. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

bohemia
bohemia
World Class

nomates - 12 May 2018 11:00 PM
TV3 NZ said 3 home games in Wellington the rest to be played in Sth West Sydney. Looks to be a done deal with the merge and not selling full out. 

It will still need to be ratified at various levels by the FFA. At the most basic level it's the FFA that sets the fixture.
paulbagzFC
paulbagzFC
Legend
Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)Legend (45K reputation)

nomates - 12 May 2018 11:00 PM

What a joke lol

-PB

https://i.imgur.com/batge7K.jpg

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search