South Melbourne bid gets political [Comments]

South Melbourne bid gets political [Comments]

Author
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
southmelb - 17 May 2018 6:38 PM
Ange had 3 things to achieve, save the furniture in brazil in 2014, win the Asian cup, qualify for Russia, done, done and done. His relationship with the ffa deteriorated so be it. 

You SMH people are biting today.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

TheSelectFew - 17 May 2018 6:19 PM
Gyfox - 17 May 2018 5:29 PM

He didnt walk out on the team. He left the FFA. 

Semantics.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Ange had 3 things to achieve, save the furniture in brazil in 2014, win the Asian cup, qualify for Russia, done, done and done. His relationship with the ffa deteriorated so be it. 

No, he had 4 things to do and walked away from the 4th one.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Gyfox - 17 May 2018 6:46 PM

No, he had 4 things to do and walked away from the 4th one.

With good reason.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

How the fuck can anyone rate Verbeek and Osieck more better than Ange?
Only Ange won the Asian Cup in style with good performances while the others failed playing boring shit football. 
In the world in a group containing Netherlands, Spain, and Chile you would have to have rocks in your head to expect him to get anything out of that with a fairly young squad, without the so called Golden Generation that failed in the Asian Cup with Arnold as manager. And apart from the game against Spain we actually played good and surprised many.
The only negative for Ange was the last qualifying path this world cup coming up which although wasn't great, yet again we qualified.
He's easily the better manager out of Verbeek and Osieck, especially when you consider how he brought in so many youngsters unlike the previous two which had so many of the older experiences guys still playing at a decent level. 
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

SWandP - 17 May 2018 6:18 PM
Gyfox - 17 May 2018 5:29 PM

Have you got the figures without friendlies?  I really want to know.  I seem to recall Holger doing well in them and Verbeek not giving a toss.

I just counted them up in my head as I checked on the Ozfootball site so these might be slightly wrong knowing my short term memory. :)

Verbeek - 13 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.
Osieck - 12 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses.  There were a few East Asian Cup games but I haven't included them as they were with a 3rd 11.
Postecoglu - 14 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

southmelb - 17 May 2018 6:49 PM
Gyfox - 17 May 2018 6:46 PM

With good reason.

A reason he refused to share with the football public.
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

robstazzz - 17 May 2018 7:27 PM
How the fuck can anyone rate Verbeek and Osieck more better than Ange?
Only Ange won the Asian Cup in style with good performances while the others failed playing boring shit football. 
In the world in a group containing Netherlands, Spain, and Chile you would have to have rocks in your head to expect him to get anything out of that with a fairly young squad, without the so called Golden Generation that failed in the Asian Cup with Arnold as manager. And apart from the game against Spain we actually played good and surprised many.
The only negative for Ange was the last qualifying path this world cup coming up which although wasn't great, yet again we qualified.
He's easily the better manager out of Verbeek and Osieck, especially when you consider how he brought in so many youngsters unlike the previous two which had so many of the older experiences guys still playing at a decent level. 

No ones rating them better than Ange but the stats show they were more successful in internationals.
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Gyfox - 17 May 2018 7:45 PM
SWandP - 17 May 2018 6:18 PM

I just counted them up in my head as I checked on the Ozfootball site so these might be slightly wrong knowing my short term memory. :)

Verbeek - 13 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses.
Osieck - 12 wins, 5 draws, 3 losses.  There were a few East Asian Cup games but I haven't included them as they were with a 3rd 11.
Postecoglu - 14 wins, 6 draws, 5 losses.

So 0.565, 0.6 and 0.56 win % respectively. Very even while the former 2 didn't have to face the group of death in 2014 on short notice or the group of death in the Confed cup.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Gyfox - 17 May 2018 7:50 PM
robstazzz - 17 May 2018 7:27 PM

No ones rating them better than Ange but the stats show they were more successful in internationals.

Well I'm glad no one rates them better because clearly the simply is no comparison. 
Ange shits on both of them. Regardless of what the blind stats say. 
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

South Melbourne bid has run out of steam from the looks. They burst out the blocks. Now at crunch time they have rivals announcing massive government packages, and SMFC fires back "announcing" a politician who has been a supporter for 10 years is, in fact, a supporter.

Focus your energies on the second division boys. When you win promotion I'll be cheering.
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class

bohemia - 17 May 2018 8:16 PM
South Melbourne bid has run out of steam from the looks. They burst out the blocks. Now at crunch time they have rivals announcing massive government packages, and SMFC fires back "announcing" a politician who has been a supporter for 10 years is, in fact, a supporter.

Focus your energies on the second division boys. When you win promotion I'll be cheering.

I agree with this. Even for themselves I think it would be better to start off in a new second division, that's if the FFA are capable of running a second division. And no I have zero confidence those clowns can pull that off.
sanchez
sanchez
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

They're announcing packages supporting the construction of new stadia... of which SM already has.... (upgrades aside, I haven't been there so wouldn't know). I wouldn't worry about them 'running out of steam' if their supporters here are anything to go by, they're a persistent lot!
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

City Sam - 17 May 2018 7:57 PM
Gyfox - 17 May 2018 7:45 PM

So 0.565, 0.6 and 0.56 win % respectively. Very even while the former 2 didn't have to face the group of death in 2014 on short notice or the group of death in the Confed cup.

Surprisingly similar in the games that matter.  Osieck also had a short lead in to the away 2011 Asian Cup and took the team to a late loss in the final.  Verbeek's team had to go through more qualification rounds to qualify for both WC and AC than Ange's team and he actually picked up 4 points in the WC.  There are lots of ways at looking at the stats but at best they are useful as an aid in assessing performance.  Anyway I started trolling the SMH supporters that have to go back to last century to find relevance and Ange came up out of that.  :)
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

It's often forgotten that the 4 pts we picked up in 2010 was the equivalent of what we picked up in 2006.  Actually, might be worth more because in 2010 we didn't get to play against an Asian country.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

The reality is when you already have a stadium, facilities, hundreds of juniors etc you can afford to pace yourself in bid terms.

Team11 are similar to southern expansion, they HAVE to make bold statements. Wollongong are the NSW equivalent of South largely playing it quiet for now, and like South they already have something the start ups dont have.

The South Melb position is simple, if team11 are handed the $200 million+ required fair play to them. South doesnt need to beg for a venue to be built. Even a simple announcement of an extra stand being built at lakeside probably puts it ahead of the pack.

Go back to what i said the other day, if lakeside was in Dandenong this would already be over.

My gut feeling is team11 will not receive the funds required, the ffa will not give South a license not now or ever, expansion in Victoria will be bypassed all together.
Amaru
Amaru
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)Hardcore Fan (230 reputation)

For the good of the league and the game in Australia, SM has to be one of the 11th/12th clubs admitted, for many reasons.

1) They will serve as the one real the link between the NSL and the AL, ensuring that Australia's history in domestic football is not totally forgotten. Yes I know AU and PG played in the NSL, but only in the final 2-3 years. But most people who think NSL, think SM.

2) Established fan base, history, trophy cabinet, tradition, etc.

3) Seriously, how can FIFA's Oc club of the 20th century be permanently shut out of the top flight in its own country? Strange. It needs to be in the top flight.

4) Ambition. They have plenty of it.

5) The derbies against MV would be epic. Probably bigger than Victory/City and on par with the Sydney derby in terms of intensity amongst fans. I go to a derby when City is the home team and it feels like MV is the home team because we got more fans at the game.

6) They have the potential to be one of the league's bigger clubs.

7) Say what you like about Lakeside, but they have a good stadium deal with Lakeside, it won't be the cause of SM folding or defending winding up applications.

The FFA have screwed up 3 times in the past, Auckland, Gold Coast and Wellington. Time for common sense to prevail and admit one of Australia's traditional clubs and this part of the world's club of the century.

And I say this all as a Victory fan and member.

And then when they get in, hopefully MV belts the living suitcase out of them in the first few years (yes I know we lost to Heart first up but I'm hopeful).
bohemia
bohemia
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

southmelb - 18 May 2018 5:24 AM

The reality is when you already have a stadium, facilities, hundreds of juniors etc you can afford to pace yourself in bid terms.

Team11 are similar to southern expansion, they HAVE to make bold statements. Wollongong are the NSW equivalent of South largely playing it quiet for now, and like South they already have something the start ups dont have.

The South Melb position is simple, if team11 are handed the $200 million+ required fair play to them. South doesnt need to beg for a venue to be built. Even a simple announcement of an extra stand being built at lakeside probably puts it ahead of the pack.

Go back to what i said the other day, if lakeside was in Dandenong this would already be over.

My gut feeling is team11 will not receive the funds required, the ffa will not give South a license not now or ever, expansion in Victoria will be bypassed all together.

SMFC needs to be in the top flight. What's best for SM is they get there in a way that inflicts the least harm on them in the process. To me that means the better bet is to support the second division and wait for pro/rel. To a point I think it quite disingenuous from FFA that SMFC step aside to allow a new national league then get charged upwards of 15 million to rejoin it. 

If Team11 is what they are promising then it's a no brainer. Agreed it's a big if.

When I'm dying of old age and looking back on the history of our game I think SMFC will be the club everyone talks about that did the most to shape the fortunes and structure of our game and bizarrely because of the measures used to exclude them from it. To those who rail against SM from the position of what impact they will have by being allowed in, they need to take stock of what impact they're having as outsiders as well. It is skewing the administration of our game in strange ways, and not just along the lines of ethno centric bias but also on an economic level.
Edited
6 Years Ago by bohemia
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search