Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Author
Captain Haddock
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CBF going to that corrupt sandpit in 4 years, I refuse to endorse such a shit decision financially.

2026 looks mighty appealing though...

There are only two intellectually honest debate tactics: (a) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s facts, or (b) pointing out errors or omissions in your opponent’s logic. All other debate tactics are intellectually dishonest - John T. Reed

The Most Popular Presidential Candidate Of All Time (TM) cant go to a sports stadium in the country he presides over. Figure that one out...

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Captain Haddock - 14 Jul 2018 8:35 PM
CBF going to that corrupt sandpit in 4 years, I refuse to endorse such a shit decision financially.

2026 looks mighty appealing though...

Ugh...48 team world cup.  Draws settled by penalty shootout.  Joke, farce etc etc.

Fuck FIFA.

Member since 2008.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Munrubenmuz - 14 Jul 2018 8:39 PM
Captain Haddock - 14 Jul 2018 8:35 PM

Ugh...48 team world cup.  Draws settled by penalty shootout.  Joke, farce etc etc.

Fuck FIFA.

48 teams will be great because there'll be more fans from more countries to meet, but yes the three team group with penalties idea is beyond retarded. Hopefully there's still time to fix that.

After my experience here as a fan, I have come to see the group stage as perhaps the most fun part of the tournament, games every day, more fans from more countries around, and new faces from the smaller countries.

I think going to 12 groups of 6 would be the best way forward, retaining the knockout stage as it is with the top two going through. It'll only add two more games to the workload, but would provide a full day of football and matchups that we never would have seen otherwise. The US's stadia and infrastructure could handle that many matches with ease.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Said it before but the 48 teams is a huge turn-off for me, it will be EURO 2016 all over again where so many teams are happy to win 1-0 because a single victory will put them into the knockout stage. And of all the places to have a borefest of 1-0 and 0-0 results, its gonna be in North America which is pretty much the only part of the world other than us that is more hostile to the concept of ties and low scoring results....not a good look for the sport IMO.

I would much rather just take the leap straight to 64 teams. Keeps the perfect current format we have now and everything is simply doubled. Play ALL games in the same group at the same time (instead of just the third round) and add an extra week to accommodate the Round of 32 and everything works out perfectly. None of that warped qualifying and seeding process they want to bring in. And since qualifying is ruined already by jumping to 48, going to 64 is not too far.
24 European countries, 12 African countries, 11 Asian countries, all 10 South American countries, 6 North American countries, and 1 Oceanian country = 64 countries. A truly global WORLD cup and an absolute festival of football. Yes please.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Holding Bidfielder
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Holding Bidfielder - 14 Jul 2018 9:48 PM
Said it before but the 48 teams is a huge turn-off for me, it will be EURO 2016 all over again where so many teams are happy to win 1-0 because a single victory will put them into the knockout stage. And of all the places to have a borefest of 1-0 and 0-0 results, its gonna be in North America which is pretty much the only part of the world other than us that is more hostile to the concept of ties and low scoring results....not a good look for the sport IMO.

I would much rather just take the leap straight to 64 teams. Keeps the perfect current format we have now and everything is simply doubled. Play ALL games in the same group at the same time (instead of just the third round) and add an extra week to accommodate the Round of 32 and everything works out perfectly. None of that warped qualifying and seeding process they want to bring in. And since qualifying is ruined already by jumping to 48, going to 64 is not too far.
24 European countries, 12 African countries, 11 Asian countries, all 10 South American countries, 6 North American countries, and 1 Oceanian country = 64 countries. A truly global WORLD cup and an absolute festival of football. Yes please.

I'd hit it.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

I’m actually not a fan of the group stages, although it prolongs every country’s interest to a couple of weeks realistically the weaker countries are done within 1-2 games anyway after which they’re just making up the numbers.

The benefit of a 48 team Comp is a shorter Group stage then an extended knockout stage, the downside is I’m not sure how groups of three are going to have any legitimate purpose?

So a move to a 64 participant WC would work for me, just dump the group stage altogether and it’s done within 4 weeks.
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group stage is the best. 

48 teams is bullshit. The world cup should be exclusive... why not just have every country then?

Who would even have the infrastructure to cater for 16 more teams.  More training bases, more supporters, more accomodation, more transport, more stadia, bigger media areas. Stadiums would have to withstand more game days over the short tournament. 
The US and England are probably the only places that could do it in 4 years, other major euro countries would need massive upgrades and countries like China would have to build everything... which wouldn't probably an issue. 

The only thing it would look at doing is making it harder to host like the olympics and also fifa constant exclusion of England as a host really makes it hard. 
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

“The world cup should be exclusive” .... even at 48 teams 77% of participating nations are excluded from the finals. How exclusive do you need?

I’m assuming we’re always going to have the group stage which is my only reservation over 48 teams so a jump to 64 makes more sense for me which would only add a week to the tournament.

I’m not a fan of the argument fewer is better, the game has dominated the world by expanding the WC out of the South American/European axis that once existed. Long may it continue, the more countries that participate the more the game will grow.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Anyone know if sepp blatter was going to move to 48 teams or if it was the new guy?
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

48 seems like too many.  it will take a lot of meaning out of the qualifying period - which has been fantastic for aus fans this time around - and replace a couple years of meaningful football to get a couple extra games to the WC.  it's bullshit.

i think 40 with groups of 5 and the top 2 teams get out. 

Edited
6 Years Ago by inala brah
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Waz - 15 Jul 2018 12:41 PM
“The world cup should be exclusive” .... even at 48 teams 77% of participating nations are excluded from the finals. How exclusive do you need? I’m assuming we’re always going to have the group stage which is my only reservation over 48 teams so a jump to 64 makes more sense for me which would only add a week to the tournament. I’m not a fan of the argument fewer is better, the game has dominated the world by expanding the WC out of the South American/European axis that once existed. Long may it continue, the more countries that participate the more the game will grow.

I would say the move to 48 acts as insurance against FIFA giving hosting rights to any more tinpot bids, which is a good thing.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 15 Jul 2018 12:48 PM
Anyone know if sepp blatter was going to move to 48 teams or if it was the new guy?

It's the new guy. Blatter is apparently against it. 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Derider - 15 Jul 2018 3:14 PM
Melbcityguy - 15 Jul 2018 12:48 PM

It's the new guy. Blatter is apparently against it. 

Its how Infantino secured the votes

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

inala brah - 15 Jul 2018 12:49 PM
48 seems like too many.  it will take a lot of meaning out of the qualifying period - which has been fantastic for aus fans this time around - and replace a couple years of meaningful football to get a couple extra games to the WC.  it's bullshit.

Diluted qualifications

3team groups encourages bus parking and penalties gambling

Horrendous

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Only issue with that is, it is very likely to have a lot of dead rubbers with teams eliminated very early. If they are determined to have 48 teams i'd still have 12 groups of 4 with the top 2 progressing. With the best 8 1st placed teams in the group stages getting a bye to the round of 16. It'll stop teams tanking the final match at the very least.
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I suppose it was inevitable that this thread will turn negative.
I am looking forward to the Qatar world cup. It will start in November which is the perfect time of the year for me to take time off work. Going to the world cup in Russia meant that I had to take time off at the most productive time of the year (no regrets though) and I would question whether I would be able to do this again in 4 years. Taking time off in November is a no brainer.
I am also looking forward to Australia getting out of the group stage in the 48 team world cup.

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

vanlassen - 16 Jul 2018 8:42 AM
I am also looking forward to Australia getting out of the group stage in the 48 team world cup.

I'm not entirely sure about that.

As for the 48 team tournament, I'd rather have a 40 team one with 8 groups 5. Top 2 progress again. 

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Well another World Cup done and dusted!

1- Best Australian player?
2- Best International player?
3- Favourite goal?
4- Which team was the biggest let down?
5- Which team was the biggest surprise?
6- Which team had the best fans?
7- What was the best original chant of Russia 2018?
PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

johnszasz - 16 Jul 2018 6:25 PM

3- Favourite goal?

1- Trent,  or Arzani (in terms of excitment)
2- Mbappe (considering his age)
3- Pavon
4- Germany
5- England
6- Croatia or Mexico
7- Dont know, but England would be last

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

One of the best world cups if you ask me, had so many close games, upsets and plenty of goals.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Burztur - 16 Jul 2018 8:50 AM
vanlassen - 16 Jul 2018 8:42 AM

I'm not entirely sure about that.

As for the 48 team tournament, I'd rather have a 40 team one with 8 groups 5. Top 2 progress again. 

I agree with that but as somebody pointed out to me in another forum that would mean a bye in the group stages which throws up other issues.

But yes.  That's a way better format than 48. 

Member since 2008.

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

City Sam - 15 Jul 2018 6:14 PM

Only issue with that is, it is very likely to have a lot of dead rubbers with teams eliminated very early. If they are determined to have 48 teams i'd still have 12 groups of 4 with the top 2 progressing. With the best 8 1st placed teams in the group stages getting a bye to the round of 16. It'll stop teams tanking the final match at the very least.

Interesting

Not sure how the scheduling goes if Group A are awaiting the last Group L match to find when and where they're on. Might need rest days there.

Will have to look at 1982.  See how they did that.

Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro

1- Best Australian player? Matthew Leckie
2- Best International player? Mbappe
3- Favourite goal? Parvard v Argentina
4- Which team was the biggest let down? Germany
5- Which team was the biggest surprise? Croatia
6- Which team had the best fans? Peru
7- What was the best original chant of Russia 2018? ???
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

johnszasz - 16 Jul 2018 6:25 PM

3- Favourite goal?

1. Sainsbury
2. Mbappe
3. Belgium's final goal v Japan
4. Germany
5. Germany (was also a surprise)! Actually, Russia - they went well over expectation.
6. Peru
7. 7NA?
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search