Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Let's enjoy the world cup: the thread.

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)World Class (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
grazorblade - 23 May 2018 11:30 AM
Let's talk ourselves up

Some of our players are probably better than we think

Kruse with no game time and one leg was still our best at getting assists. What's He going to be like after a full season playing?

Arzani didn't just dominate the a league, he dominated technically. In the past players who have dominated technically have had no trouble stepping up

Leckie has been scoring again this season after a couple of dour seasons. He is also one of the best defensive wingers in the game

Jedi looks rejuvenated 

Mooys defensive game has gone to another level

Rogic is looking for these days and has added defence to his game

Ryan has made some sublime stops in the ell

Sainsbury walks straight in as captain at a decent level

good points i actually see mass or Irvine having a breakout tournament 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

I think our midfield is looking really strong atm with options to change it up as well. Maybe it will be enough to carry us through this group, who knows.
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

I'm relatively optimistic about this group. Going through Peru's starting lineup, everyone on other websites seem to think they're dark horses but really their players are probably playing at a level below ours on average. Having their star striker out certainly helps us as well.

Denmark aren't that great either, I think every team we played in the World Cup in 2014 would've beaten them.

Obviously it will be difficult, but there should be none of the pessimism that we had 4 years ago. This team is miles ahead of that one, and even that rubbish squad managed to put in good performance against 2 time South American champions Chile and 2010 runners up Netherlands.

We would've killed for players like Rogic, Mooy and Luongo back in 2014, Kruse is actually playing, Leckie has been playing in the Bundesliga, and Ryan has just had a full season in the premier league. Plenty to be excited about.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

433 - 23 May 2018 3:24 PM
I'm relatively optimistic about this group. Going through Peru's starting lineup, everyone on other websites seem to think they're dark horses but really their players are probably playing at a level below ours on average. Having their star striker out certainly helps us as well.Denmark aren't that great either, I think every team we played in the World Cup in 2014 would've beaten them. Obviously it will be difficult, but there should be none of the pessimism that we had 4 years ago. This team is miles ahead of that one, and even that rubbish squad managed to put in good performance against 2 time South American champions Chile and 2010 runners up Netherlands. We would've killed for players like Rogic, Mooy and Luongo back in 2014, Kruse is actually playing, Leckie has been playing in the Bundesliga, and Ryan has just had a full season in the premier league. Plenty to be excited about.

I'm relatively optimistic about just enjoying a World Cup in which we'll be competing when we barely deserved to qualify. In terms of our chances of progressing from the group, I'm less optimistic but I consider it do-able.

Don't know enough about Peru, to be honest. Denmark, on paper, are deserved favourites against us and have one of the best midfielders on the planet as well as strong footballers behind and in front of him. They're also well-organised. But I'm hopeful that we have enough to be able to do some damage in that match. And that we can exploit the element of surprise (particularly if we set-up really defensively against France).

It's definitely encouraging that our midfield has the potential to be a lot stronger than it has been in ages.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

I reckon, Australia aside, we can still enjoy the World Cup.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last Euros, as well as the one before, and obviously Aus aren't playing in those. So we can hope for some exciting football in general, regardless of what happens with our NT.
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

quickflick - 23 May 2018 3:37 PM
I reckon, Australia aside, we can still enjoy the World Cup.

I thoroughly enjoyed the last Euros, as well as the one before, and obviously Aus aren't playing in those. So we can hope for some exciting football in general, regardless of what happens with our NT.

^^^My thoughts too. I have no affiliation with any A-League club (and I dont support any overseas clubs) so international football is what matters the most to me, even if Australia arent involved.

Even if we crash out with three losses I will still have an enjoyable time watching the world cup. Even when the tournaments are poor and underwhelming (thinking of the 2010 world cup and the most recent euros) I still look back on them fondly overall.

footbawler
footbawler
Hacker
Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)

3 weeks (and a few hours) until we cause a massive upset vs France.
From all reports the team is training extremely well. I can't wait to watch our boys go up against the best in the world.

hitpehoaos
hitpehoaos
Amateur
Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)Amateur (536 reputation)

Who is singing the Socceroos World Cup anthem? Our 2014 was awful, Up! By Samantha Jade haha
OldCodger
OldCodger
Hacker
Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)Hacker (340 reputation)

hitpehoaos - 26 May 2018 10:06 AM
 Who is singing the Socceroos World Cup anthem? Our 2014 was awful, Up! By Samantha Jade haha

I find it so bizarre the way Australian media insists on shovelling generic talentless dirge down people's throats. Samantha Jade is a prime example (see also Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Havana Brown, etc). 

Edited
6 Years Ago by OldCodger
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Another positive: The bulk of our squad has already played under tournament conditions (Confeds 17) in Russia where as our opponents have not. Not to mention that we have already played out of Sochi (vs Germany) and will play Peru (not a well travelled team)there in our final group match. 
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

footbawler - 26 May 2018 9:07 AM
3 weeks (and a few hours) until we cause a massive upset vs France.
From all reports the team is training extremely well. I can't wait to watch our boys go up against the best in the world.

There's being positive and there's being delusional. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by WSF
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Positive - watched recent Denmark v Chile friendly the other day. Their striker’s scoring rate is not much different to Juric and they don’t have a prolific scorer to come off the bench. Apart from Eriksen and Sisto they don’t look special at all, and even with them our midfield has the potential to be as formidable.
footbawler
footbawler
Hacker
Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)Hacker (455 reputation)

WSF - 26 May 2018 10:04 PM
footbawler - 26 May 2018 9:07 AM

There's being positive and there's being delusional. 

But am I being delusionally positive or postively delusional?

quickflick
quickflick
World Class

phutbol - 26 May 2018 11:13 PM
Positive - watched recent Denmark v Chile friendly the other day. Their striker’s scoring rate is not much different to Juric and they don’t have a prolific scorer to come off the bench. Apart from Eriksen and Sisto they don’t look special at all, and even with them our midfield has the potential to be as formidable.

They did put 4 past the Irish keeper in Dublin in a World Cup qualifier, though. If we're not sharp enough, they'll find the back of the net.
playmaker11
playmaker11
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Russian squad wearing all the different kits. Our lad is Ilya Kutepov, a CB at Spartak.

By now, American Samoa must have realised that Australias 22-0 win over Tonga two days earlier was no fluke.

footbawler
footbawler
Hacker

playmaker11 - 27 May 2018 6:50 AM
Russian squad wearing all the different kits. Our lad is Ilya Kutepov, a CB at Spartak.

I wonder who's name was on the Australian shirt

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Absolutely gutted for Salah and Carvajal. Salah appears to be in serious doubt for the world cup. 
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

johnszasz - 27 May 2018 7:47 AM
Absolutely gutted for Salah and Carvajal. Salah appears to be in serious doubt for the world cup. 

Yeah really unfair. Nicest bloke, too.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class

Also gutted for Karim Benzema about missing the World Cup.

On the plus side, BvM doesn't need to worry about how to deal with the threat he poses.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

quickflick - 27 May 2018 3:37 PM
Also gutted for Karim Benzema about missing the World Cup.

On the plus side, BvM doesn't need to worry about how to deal with the threat he poses.

Why are you gutted? He doesn't seem like a nice person at all. Definitely deserves to be locked out of the national team. Let's remember, he actually blackmailed a teammate over a sex tape and attempted to extort money from him. He's lucky he's allowed to play at all. I would've banned him from all football. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

salah might be ok for the world cup
Holding Bidfielder
Holding Bidfielder
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

grazorblade - 27 May 2018 3:57 PM
salah might be ok for the world cup

I really hope so. I was really looking forward to him attacking the slow Russian and Saudi backlines....
Recovery time for a dislocated shoulder varies from two weeks (very optimistic) to six weeks (more realistic)....it will be a miracle if he plays at the world cup.
I really dont want to see that dipshit Ramos lift the world cup trophy now....regardless of whether he injured him on purpose he is a clumsy spud that does this shite all the time, especially in big games. Dirty dirty player and walking redcard for any ref with a backbone....I dont think there is any NT captain I would be less thrilled to see lift the world cup trophy in July....if Spain gets knocked out or Ramos is injured/suspended that will make the world cup more enjoyable to me.

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

footbawler - 18 May 2018 11:13 AM
Peru's captain is out,...

Is this true/confirmed??

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I thought it was confirmed.

Also think we can get at least 4 points against Denmark and Peru. Then we just need to mitigate damage from the French.
Bozza1#
Bozza1#
Amateur
Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)Amateur (537 reputation)

I hate that Cahill in the team. Just because of sponsors.
George_Worst
George_Worst
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Bozza1# - 27 May 2018 7:22 PM
I hate that Cahill in the team. Just because of sponsors.

Just as well you decided to boycott the world cup because of it. Any danger of you boycotting this forum too?
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
BrisbaneBhoy - 27 May 2018 5:08 PM
footbawler - 18 May 2018 11:13 AM

Is this true/confirmed??

Latest news is that CAS has upheld the ban, he's met Infantino this week to no avail, and is now taking it to civil court in Switzerland.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-peru-guerrero/peru-captain-guerrero-asks-swiss-court-to-overturn-doping-ban-federation-idUSKCN1IQ33Z

footbawler
footbawler
Hacker

Looks like Denmark are sweating on Erikson's partner giving birth before they leave for Russia. Could maybe unsettle the camp a little if their star player is distracted. It's probably more help for Peru though, as that's their first fixture.
https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/opponent-watch-eriksens-baby-issue-must-be-solved

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

France playing Peru in a Stadium with 12,000 Temporary seats

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

Great view from the top... of the roof.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search