BDP

Author
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
hounddog - 5 May 2024 9:00 AM
Final thoughts on prop.

Tetevano and Knight are off contract and will be let go.

I think Tetevano was brought in to help mentor and educate young players also to avoid throwing a young guy into NRL if we had lots of injuries.

I would promote Todd and sign Mooney and if we can't Mooney or we had some spare slots another young big guy who as made his NRL debut this season and impressed with limited opportunities. 

McLean is the experienced big guy zi would go for if he wants to play a couple more seasons. His form this season is improved and training with us he would get fit.

Lodge and Brown are off contract at Manly, but bad for our culture,  I ruled them out.

Liu and McLean would be great. Mooney probably wants too much. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I think the answer to recruitment is somewhere in the middle. Overpaying a player can destroy your team. But a star player can get you into the finals. Ponga and Moses are great examples. 

I think we are on the right path. We paid big money for Kikau and now it’s paying off. Critta and Burton the same. We could do the same with an experienced halfback like Townsend.

We need to add the right players. Premiership winning players. They should take us to the next stage. Than we can rely on juniors and add occasional signings. 

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

hounddog - 5 May 2024 12:20 PM
Marki - 5 May 2024 10:00 AM

You should watch the Dogs presser and see Cirro's comments about Burto.

I agree with Cirro, Burto is potentially the best player in the game, but he has a lot to learn and he has a lot of areas where he can improve.

He needs a better halves partner and at a minimum we need Tracey at fullback or someone even better.

The problem with targeting high priced star players is that they rarely leave their current club unless another club pays well over the odds.

A secondary problem is that when they are injured there is a lot of salary cap sitting on the sidelines and the season can be over before they get fit.

If Api wasn't injured the Dogs / Tigers game would have featured 7 ex-Panther players next season it will be 9. When is the last time Panthers poached a high priced star player from another side?

The risk with Reynolds was always that he might get injured. The improvement in the Brisbane is far deeper than 1 player the problems at Souths are far deeper than one player.

Of course its more than 1 player, but in most cases its that 1 player that triggers a change to the playing group and they all grow another leg.

Whether its a cultural change, leadership, steering the ship, flamboyancy, footy smarts, etc it can have a significant effect.

AR along with afew key other players have transformed the Broncos from wooden spoon to preniership favourites. Sure, its a disaster when the player is out and you have big money sitting on the sidelines, but at the same time, other clubs look at us and see large chunk of money sitting in reserve grade. You can only field 17 players after all. 

You mentioned penrith as an interesting example. They probably had a fairly even spread of cap when they first hit their straps in 2020..but since then, they've had to adopt of Melb Storm model of picking 4 or 5 players whom they value as their core and accept that everyone else is dispensable. Its the only way they can remain competitive but cap compliant.

Storm did it with their spine (1,6, 7,9). Penrith did it with 1, 2, 7, 10, 13. Everyone else was dispensible. It has worked for them as they continually find players to fill the other spots, just like Melb did before them. 

In todays era of salary cap floor (min 95% cap spend) it actually makes even more sense to have 1,2 or 3 high priced players. 

We still continue to buck this trend but i feel to aim for a premiership means we will have to change our mindset in the future
ODF
ODF
Pro
Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)Pro (3.1K reputation)

The purchase of a million dollar superstar is not always the answer. If that so called elite star doesn't buy into the system, or can't play the teams style, they end up a dud and you can't offload them for shit. It's not good business just to buy an expensive player...that player must suit he team style.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Micko - 5 May 2024 7:21 PM
I think the answer to recruitment is somewhere in the middle. Overpaying a player can destroy your team. But a star player can get you into the finals. Ponga and Moses are great examples. 

I think we are on the right path. We paid big money for Kikau and now it’s paying off. Critta and Burton the same. We could do the same with an experienced halfback like Townsend.

We need to add the right players. Premiership winning players. They should take us to the next stage. Than we can rely on juniors and add occasional signings. 

That is the point Kiks, Burto, Foxy, Critter and Xerri are elite talents, but that is going to cost cap dollars. 

Already I think we can't afford to pay overs for Foxy next contact. He might stay at the Dogs for a bit less and all clubs have a cap.

This season is showing that Kiks, Critter and Burto are worth the money. We probably got Xerri a bit cheap because we took a gamble on him.

If Burto is selected for SOO that creates an opportunity for Sexton.

I'll decide if we need to sign a half when I see Sexton play NRL in this side.

If he doesn't get a run this season I think that we will try to sign a half.

Gus and Cirro have done a great job so far, I am happy to leave recruitment up to them.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

ODF - 5 May 2024 7:38 PM
The purchase of a million dollar superstar is not always the answer. If that so called elite star doesn't buy into the system, or can't play the teams style, they end up a dud and you can't offload them for shit. It's not good business just to buy an expensive player...that player must suit he team style.

Great point ODF they player has to suit the style that the coach wants to play, has to combine well with his team mates and has to fit the team culture.

We are going better this season because, Hughes, Morrin, Hayward, Mann, Hutch, Critter, Salmon and Curran all suit the style CC wants to play. Marhoney,  King, Preston and Kiraz were already at the club but also suit the style.

There were some  more highly rated players that we didn't sign. We had a lot of holes to fill.

And it will be easier to attract good players to the club now that we have turned the corner. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Overall the last win was more a matter of us being good than the Tigers being bad.

Sezer came up with a couple of poor reads in defence and we made him pay with a try both times.

The Curran try was a great chase off a good kick from Hutch. 

The 2 Tigers try's were well constructed, I think that  teams will spot Taaffee defending in the front line.

Apart from that both sides defended well and our defence strangled the Tigers in the second half. 

I can see the Tigers winning a few games this season 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

It’s all about defence. And we are doing well in that area. The attack needs to improve and will as the players form new combinations. 

I was expecting us to play like this last year. Very happy we finally started playing as a team. 

Marki
Marki
World Class
World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)World Class (8K reputation)

Micko - 5 May 2024 10:43 PM
It’s all about defence. And we are doing well in that area. The attack needs to improve and will as the players form new combinations. 

I was expecting us to play like this last year. Very happy we finally started playing as a team. 

Spot on.
I too expected this last year, but we've gone through that disappointment now and hopefully we continue to improve from here.

We are far from polished but if our defence holds up and we fill some key positions, ww could become a top 4 team in next couple of years.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 5 May 2024 10:43 PM

We a team has good line speed and players run hard that certainly compensates for a lack of size, also when the team is fit enough to do it for 80 mins.

It is harder for bigger bodies to achieve the fitness and mobility needed to do this for 80 mins.

Morrin is the perfect example and everyone loves a wholehearted, fearless smaller player.

With Morrin, Hayward and Marhoney on the field our linespeed in the middle is excellent.

This is a selection dilemma for me because I would like to add Farmer to the team against the Panthers, but that probably means leaving out Salmon, Morrin or Hayward.

Hayward covers injury, HIA or sin bin for Marhoney. Reed has been pushing the boundaries recently, I think that the refs all watch games and have tipsheets for this kind of thing. So I can see Reed getting a stint in the bin soon if he doesn't tone it down a bit. NRL are managing the game image these days.

If Cirro runs with the smaller pack and we beat the Panthers, all clubs will be rethinking having 3 big middles.

The compromise option is to replace Salmon with Todd, but I think that we will probably start Salmon and have Preston on the bench.

Tracey (if fit) replacing Taaffe at fullback is the only change I would make.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Update from Gus on X.

The next few weeks the club is going to experiment trying young players in different positions in different lower grade teams.

The intention is to develop future NRL players rather than win lower grade comps. So it might cost us a few lower grade comp wins.

IMO-  Ultimately this may mean some reserve grade players getting a rest and being in contention for the backend of the season. 

And if we get a few SOO call ups we have fit healthy players who can slot in.

I'm looking forward to seeing the young pups get a run  in reserve grade and flegg.
Edited
Last Week by hounddog
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

We won’t be making any play for a #7 unless his name is Nathan Cleary and I think you can add no play for a #6 too.

The reason is the club from Gus to Ciraldo and everyone in between believes we have the players for those positions already in the club.

O’Niell is playing Reggies and will expected to be considered for NRL next year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a game or two this year late season if an injury arises and his form’s good. Woods will be playing Reggies next year with an expectation of NRL ready for ‘26 and again maybe a possible NRL game or two late season next year.

This is who the club sees as one of or both of #6 and #7 for the rest of the decade and beyond come ‘25 and ‘26 and it’s close enough to wait and we will.

Take it to the bank.
Zef
Zef
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

And if you’re thinking we need an experienced half to guide these two’s development till they’re ready he’s already in the club too - his name is Burton.
Zef
Zef
Pro

Two biggest takeaways for me out of yesterday were:

#1 we weren’t at our best yet won comfortably if not convincingly. When you win on auto-pilot that’s a pointer to you know how to win. Something we have not had a clue of for near a decade.

#2 The width of our passes, we are really stretching defences just by our passing. I think we’re doing it better than most if not all in the game at present. And it’s only gonna get better. I can see it being one of our signatures.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 6 May 2024 7:33 PM
And if you’re thinking we need an experienced half to guide these two’s development till they’re ready he’s already in the club too - his name is Burton.

I agree on O'Neill and Woods, transitioning on Neil into the NRL will be slightly tricky, but he seems like a mature composed kid.

If Sexton plays well that might change our plans. 

My impression is that Sexton is going well in reserve grade.

If Burton plays SOO Sexton might get a shot.

It is the same for middle forwards we have some good young players and are developing others, some older players are just holding the fort. A quality middle forward might become available. 

Watch the Canberra preser after they beat Manly, Sticky explained that he was going with young halves because after 20 games or so they would be better than any experienced half he could sign.

Cleary and Walker are the only halves not  available that will clearly better than O'Neill after 20 games.

Hayward isn't a bad half, we don't need to rush O'Neill and Woods,we have other players who can do a reasonable job.

Speaking of Hayward he is going great, even better than I expected. 

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

I am not expecting to sign many players from other clubs.

Maybe just replacing guys who leave our adding some experience to the forwards.

At fullback we have Papalii and that is similar Woods might even end up at fullback, and we have good players to hold the fort.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Zef - 6 May 2024 7:44 PM

#1 we weren’t at our best yet won comfortably if not convincingly. When you win on auto-pilot that’s a pointer to you know how to win. Something we have not had a clue of for near a decade.

#2 The width of our passes, we are really stretching defences just by our passing. I think we’re doing it better than most if not all in the game at present. And it’s only gonna get better. I can see it being one of our signatures.

The other takeaway is linespeed from Marhoney, Morrin and Hayward,  small guys moving fast was very effective. 
Marki
Marki
World Class

What are they gonna learn from Burton?
Kicking game. Thats about it.

Im sure they already pass better than him. And they probably dont go hiding when we need our halves to demand the ball. 

If they are going to learn anything, its from Hutch.

Which is fine, because that is what Hutch was brought here for. Adequately fill the halfback spot and make up for the deficiencies by the 5/8th while he learns to play that position. 

So far so good.
Marki
Marki
World Class

Agree on both counts.

I was satisfied and impressed that CC was able to get the boys in the shed at halftime, set them straight, and they responded. It was good to see we can take time out and reset.

With regards to the passing width, im seeing both Hutch and Burton passing early to the strike players (kikau, chrighton, kiraz, Xerri). 

It seems like Taaffe at FB is better at sweep plays to the right, while Tracey is better at sweep plays to the left. 

Im not convinced Mahoney goes the right direction when attacking close to the line and he tends to focus too much on trying to win 6-agains in the ruck at the deteiment of overlaps on the edges. Hopefully he improves in this area as we dont seem to ein those 6-agains. It looks too pre-meditated. 

Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 6 May 2024 8:12 PM

The other takeaway is linespeed from Marhoney, Morrin and Hayward,  small guys moving fast was very effective. 

Yes, big plus.
Very evident last game in that second half.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 6 May 2024 9:00 PM

Im sure they already pass better than him. And they probably dont go hiding when we need our halves to demand the ball. 

If they are going to learn anything, its from Hutch.

Which is fine, because that is what Hutch was brought here for. Adequately fill the halfback spot and make up for the deficiencies by the 5/8th while he learns to play that position. 

So far so good.

They are not going to learn from Burton having an experienced partner can simplify their role.

More or less they just need to do what Hutch does.

Hutch apparently organises the side, O’Neill did that in Flegg last season.

Guys like Hutch and Sherwin can give advice 
Playing with an experienced half isn't that different to watching tape.

Main thing a young guy needs is others providing leadership and direction. 

Marki
Marki
World Class

hounddog - 6 May 2024 9:11 PM

They are not going to learn from Burton having an experienced partner can simplify their role.

More or less they just need to do what Hutch does.

Hutch apparently organises the side, O’Neill did that in Flegg last season.

Guys like Hutch and Sherwin can give advice 
Playing with an experienced half isn't that different to watching tape.

Main thing a young guy needs is others providing leadership and direction. 

Hutch is much maligned over at TK for his straightening runs late in the set.

I agree that some are ill-timed, but if you watch a replay of that first try last week, its Hutch's run and quick PTB that sets up the crash play. 

We have been guilty of going too much side to side in the past but we have players now like Hutch, Curran, Preston, Morrin, Salmon etc that just straighten the attack and get us on the front foot while the defence back-pedals. 
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

The only other factors are.

1. The pressure of wearing 7 an fsn expectations- O'Neill seems like he can handle that.

2. Kick pressure- Burton and Marhoney can do more of the kicking.

3. Defence- looked like O'Neill can handle that.
hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Marki - 6 May 2024 9:16 PM
hounddog - 6 May 2024 9:11 PM

Hutch is much maligned over at TK for his straightening runs late in the set.

I agree that some are ill-timed, but if you watch a replay of that first try last week, its Hutch's run and quick PTB that sets up the crash play. 

We have been guilty of going too much side to side in the past but we have players now like Hutch, Curran, Preston, Morrin, Salmon etc that just straighten the attack and get us on the front foot while the defence back-pedals. 

I don't have a problem with it, he just needs to make a faster decision and run harder.

It is far better than throwing a panicked hospital pass when there is nothing on.
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Marki - 5 May 2024 7:22 PM
hounddog - 5 May 2024 12:20 PM

Of course its more than 1 player, but in most cases its that 1 player that triggers a change to the playing group and they all grow another leg.

Whether its a cultural change, leadership, steering the ship, flamboyancy, footy smarts, etc it can have a significant effect.

AR along with afew key other players have transformed the Broncos from wooden spoon to preniership favourites. Sure, its a disaster when the player is out and you have big money sitting on the sidelines, but at the same time, other clubs look at us and see large chunk of money sitting in reserve grade. You can only field 17 players after all. 

You mentioned penrith as an interesting example. They probably had a fairly even spread of cap when they first hit their straps in 2020..but since then, they've had to adopt of Melb Storm model of picking 4 or 5 players whom they value as their core and accept that everyone else is dispensable. Its the only way they can remain competitive but cap compliant.

Storm did it with their spine (1,6, 7,9). Penrith did it with 1, 2, 7, 10, 13. Everyone else was dispensible. It has worked for them as they continually find players to fill the other spots, just like Melb did before them. 

In todays era of salary cap floor (min 95% cap spend) it actually makes even more sense to have 1,2 or 3 high priced players. 

We still continue to buck this trend but i feel to aim for a premiership means we will have to change our mindset in the future

I think your argument is off here mate. What players in our reserves are on big money? What team isn’t paying decent money to their reserves? And more importantly, we tried to sign Shaun Johnson, Mitchell Moses and Jerome Luai all for big money. We just missed out on all. 
Mick O
Mick O
Pro

Zef - 6 May 2024 7:31 PM
We won’t be making any play for a #7 unless his name is Nathan Cleary and I think you can add no play for a #6 too.

The reason is the club from Gus to Ciraldo and everyone in between believes we have the players for those positions already in the club.

O’Niell is playing Reggies and will expected to be considered for NRL next year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a game or two this year late season if an injury arises and his form’s good. Woods will be playing Reggies next year with an expectation of NRL ready for ‘26 and again maybe a possible NRL game or two late season next year.

This is who the club sees as one of or both of #6 and #7 for the rest of the decade and beyond come ‘25 and ‘26 and it’s close enough to wait and we will.

Take it to the bank.

That’s what I get from the talk around the club. O’Neill isn’t far off. A good off season and he should at the very least play a bench role. 

Woods will be good to go soon. He is just too much of a freak. But needs time to adjust to the workload in defence. 

Future is looking very bright

hounddog
hounddog
Legend

Micko - 6 May 2024 10:26 PM
Zef - 6 May 2024 7:31 PM

That’s what I get from the talk around the club. O’Neill isn’t far off. A good off season and he should at the very least play a bench role. 

Woods will be good to go soon. He is just too much of a freak. But needs time to adjust to the workload in defence. 

Future is looking very bright

I was impressed with O'Neil in the trials.

I think Woods will soon get a chance in Flegg and depending on how he goes reserve grade. 

But I also know that Gus isn't inclined to rush young halves and throw them into the deep end.

Reports were that Sexton played well in reserve grade last game and he looked good on the highlights.

Sexton is more chance to play NRL this season and I don't think Hutch is that bad. 

My ratings:-

Hutch - current  6 /10  peak 6/10
Sexton- current  5/10 Peak 7 /10
O'Neill- current 4/10 peak 9/10
Hayward- current 3/10 peak 8/10

If we don''t give Sexton a shot this season, it is a bit unfair to keep him

And if we do give him a shot and he goes well, he might play most games in 2025 or at least start the season. 

Sooner or later  O'Neill will be good enough to bump Sexton out of the spot and that might be early 2025.

If we don't give Sexton a chance, I bet that we don't extend him, we are keeping him this season for depth purposes. One way or another I expect him to get a run this season,.

Rather than needing to sign a halfback, we might need to let one chase a chance elsewhere.

I think Souths, Tigers and Dragons will be interested in signing Sexton.

Zef
Zef
Pro

hounddog - 7 May 2024 5:51 AM
Sexton is more chance to play NRL this season and I don't think Hutch is that bad

You know, I don’t think there’s much chance of Sexton playing NRL this season except maybe the odd game covering injury.

Sexton has a consistent problem. In hindsight he had the same problem at The Titans. He comes onto the scene, everyone thinks he’s a career NRL #7, then he fades, is dropped and eventually shopped out of the club.

Red flag right there, which I’m sure both Gus and Ciro were aware of a the underlying problem, but they thought he was fixable so took the punt.

And first few games for us he again looked every inch a career NRL #7, particularly the 2nd from memory, but then he just fades away, has an appalling end to season seemingly getting less effective every game. Which I know we did as a team too, he wasn’t alone - but we got rid of most of his mediocre mates didn’t we.

So new season, new start. Now I don’t watch much Reggies but I read anything I can on them, and all reports are just more of the same from Sexton. One or two games in succession where he looks like a career NRL #7, then the same where he looks like a park footballer.

And there is the consistent problem with Sexton - inconsistency.

And I think it’s now too late for him to force his way into this team this season. Say he has blinders the next three games in Reggies, would you trust him to take that form into NRL for another three? How about another six? Do you think Ciro would?

Hutch does not have the talent Sexton has, that’s undeniable, but what he does bring to the team he brings every week. If he has a below Hutch standard game he doesn’t have a below Hutch standard game the following week. At least a game plan can be built around knowing what you get from Hutch, which we have done and which atm is working.

I reckon if there’s a long term injury to Hutch or Burton Ciro would look elsewhere, possibly Haywood. One or two games he could look to Sexton but I really think that’s where he’s at.

Too late to save his career at The Dogs, I think he’s gone seasons end and if I were his manager I’d take him to SL for 2-3 seasons to find some consistency and then come back to The NRL.
Edited
Last Week by Zef
Zef
Zef
Pro

Think deeper.

It’s not about teaching O’Neill for eg any skills, he’s not gonna teach O’Neill how to play like Matt Burton.

It’s about being in his ear and mentoring on and off the field, particularly on. About how to keep your head in the game, keep to the plan when things go wrong or right. Being in his ear being in his head. now you might think Burton’s not the man for that, but if not you find a Premiership winning, SOO and Australian rep to the do the job.

I think you’d agree that Keary has been invaluable to Walkers development. But the thing is Keary isn’t teaching Walker how to be a halfback. Robinson has Crock for that. Keary is the mento inside Walker’s head on and off the field about how to be an NRL player. How to be a half he leaves up to Cronk.
Zef
Zef
Pro

And btw btw, Burton has been in tremendous form. Playing like you asked him to and playing like you asked him to on both sides of the field.

Wouldn’t replace him with anyone else, wouldn’t play him anywhere else.

Things may or may not change in the future, but right here right now Burton is Bulldogs #6 end of.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search