Victory's Honda lands new job with Cambodian national team

Victory's Honda lands new job with Cambodian national team

Author
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Melbourne Victory marquee Keisuke Honda has been named as the new General Manager of the Cambodian national team.
Honda fronted a press conference held by the Football Federation of Cambodia on Sunday to confirm the surprising news.

It comes just a week after the 32-year-old became Victory’s new marquee recruit for the Hyundai A-League 2018/19 Season.
Cambodia is playing in the 2018 AFF Suzuki Cup tournament in November but it remains unclear if Honda will be at the helm, with the Hyundai A-League season already underway at that time.
The Cambodian’s are in the same group as Malaysia, Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos for the event, which runs from November 8 to December 15.
It will be interesting to see how Honda will mix his responsibilities with Cambodia to his playing duties with Victory.
https://www.a-league.com.au/news/victorys-honda-lands-new-job-cambodian-national-team

ARNIE= LEGEND

Eniri
Eniri
Rising Star
Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)

Playing in one league, just finished international career for his home nation and general manager of the national team for a third nation...  I know the article says he will be doing this via video conference once a week but this sounds really wacky to me.  Has this ever happened before?
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

A man of many talents and goals in life, good on him. 
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
WSF - 12 Aug 2018 5:57 PM
A man of many talents and goals in life, good on him. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Now wouldn't this be much more interesting if Australia was involved in the South East Asian Championship as well?
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

When he's finishing cleaning the change rooms

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

maxxie
maxxie
Pro
Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)Pro (3.7K reputation)

paladisious - 12 Aug 2018 6:20 PM
Now wouldn't this be much more interesting if Australia was involved in the South East Asian Championship as well?

Constantly disappointed by our lack of engagement with the AFF.
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

maxxie - 12 Aug 2018 6:49 PM
paladisious - 12 Aug 2018 6:20 PM

Constantly disappointed by our lack of engagement with the AFF.

I'm not. I have no idea why anyone would want to watch us play Cambodia, Burma and Laos. Pretty damn ridiculous. It's about as mickey mouse a tournament as you can get. Perhaps on the same level as that east asian cup that we took part in once. It served no purpose whatsoever and we got nothing out of it. 
Lightbulb
Lightbulb
Hacker
Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)Hacker (376 reputation)

Derider - 12 Aug 2018 7:00 PM
maxxie - 12 Aug 2018 6:49 PM

I'm not. I have no idea why anyone would want to watch us play Cambodia, Burma and Laos. Pretty damn ridiculous. It's about as mickey mouse a tournament as you can get. Perhaps on the same level as that east asian cup that we took part in once. It served no purpose whatsoever and we got nothing out of it. 

Yes. I remember those EAFF qualifying games.  Totally useless.

Only gave first caps to Mooy, Rogic, Behich, Ryan, Franjic, Antonis and Taggart.  All playing in the A League.

Complete waste of time . . . 

Requiescat in pace!

miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

WTF is this serious  ? can't be  ..

Edit : well f...k me... it is real ..what a joke ?
Since when does a player sign on to play for a team whilst managing a national team team at the same time ?
If you thought Bolt was a circus ...what is this guy ?
Can you in imagine when he went  to AC Milan him saying "oh and by the way ...I want to manage a National  side as well ..I assume that is OK  ?"
.....and Victory obviously said yes !!!!!
How to demean a league ....absolute joke !!!

Edited
6 Years Ago by miron mercedes
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
melbourne circus fc
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

miron mercedes - 12 Aug 2018 8:57 PM
WTF is this serious  ? can't be  ..

Edit : well f...k me... it is real ..what a joke ?
Since when does a player sign on to play for a team whilst managing a national team team at the same time ?
If you thought Bolt was a circus ...what is this guy ?
Can you in imagine when he went  to AC Milan him saying "oh and by the way ...I want to manage a National  side as well ..I assume that is OK  ?"
.....and Victory obviously said yes !!!!!
How to demean a league ....absolute joke !!!

He isn't the manager, essentially a consultant from afar.
Edited
6 Years Ago by City Sam
jaymz
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

City Sam - 12 Aug 2018 9:30 PM
miron mercedes - 12 Aug 2018 8:57 PM

He isn't the manager, essentially a consultant from afar.

Harry Redknapp style

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Lightbulb - 12 Aug 2018 8:11 PM
Derider - 12 Aug 2018 7:00 PM

Yes. I remember those EAFF qualifying games.  Totally useless.

Only gave first caps to Mooy, Rogic, Behich, Ryan, Franjic, Antonis and Taggart.  All playing in the A League.

Complete waste of time . . . 

I remember that as well. Our c team beating Guam 8-0 and Taiwan 9-1. It was boring af. I thought we got away from Oceania to avoid minnow tournaments like that. We may as well have played a couple of friendlies against Vanuatu for all the good it did us. 
City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

Honestly it surprises me how bad the South East Asian teams are. There is genuinely a lot of support in these nations but they struggle to even get a somewhat competitive team out. Apparently Vietnam are on the verge of a golden generation and Thailand seem to be getting decent so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep improving. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

part of the deal with will smith and their company
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

City Sam - 13 Aug 2018 1:56 PM
Honestly it surprises me how bad the South East Asian teams are. There is genuinely a lot of support in these nations but they struggle to even get a somewhat competitive team out. Apparently Vietnam are on the verge of a golden generation and Thailand seem to be getting decent so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep improving. 

These two sides are definitely on the improve - East and SE Asia will continue to usurp the Middle East in terms of playing strength if things progress as they are.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

What so someone sends him a list of team names & possible formations & he just emails back yay or nay. 

I could do that job.   
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Bit of a beat up the whole story imo. Honda is doing a full pre season and people are seriously questioning his commitment. How many high profile stars arrive here this early to do pre season? 
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

No doubt its just a token sort of role with little genuine involvement but its still not a very good look.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 13 Aug 2018 7:02 PM
No doubt its just a token sort of role with little genuine involvement but its still not a very good look.

yeah pretty much this.

It's just weird as well tbh.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

tsf - 13 Aug 2018 8:37 PM
sydneyfc1987 - 13 Aug 2018 7:02 PM

yeah pretty much this.

It's just weird as well tbh.

The man has shown himself to be ambitious with many projects both inside and outside of football. Just look at the man's twitter handle.

As long as it doesn't impact his playing commitment to the club (and I can't see how it would) then I think it's great.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Derider - 12 Aug 2018 11:38 PM
Lightbulb - 12 Aug 2018 8:11 PM

I remember that as well. Our c team beating Guam 8-0 and Taiwan 9-1. It was boring af. I thought we got away from Oceania to avoid minnow tournaments like that. We may as well have played a couple of friendlies against Vanuatu for all the good it did us. 

Then you remember incorrectly, as that was the qualifiers for the tournament, in which we only got past Hong Kong 1-0, and drew 1-1 with North Korea meaning we only qualified on goal difference. The finals were against Japan, South Korea and China. Good teams.

You were also selective with "Cambodia, Burma and Laos" as competitors in the South East Asian Championship, when you know full well that it also includes Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam, growing countries seriously interested in and investing in football, and unlike our home 2015 Asian Cup in which 11 of the 16 teams involved were from Central and West Asia (who can forget Oman v Kuwait, Qatar v Bahrain, Uzbekistan v Saudi, or Palestine v Jordan?) a South East Asian Championship would include countries that Bazza and Shazza could actually find on a map, and that we've got sizable numbers from in our community, so could arguably be a bigger draw.

Perhaps we'd only play a domestic or non-Euro first choice squad, but Lightbulb's post regarding the 2013 East Asian Championship amply proves how useful that would be.
Edited
6 Years Ago by paladisious
tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

paladisious - 13 Aug 2018 8:42 PM
tsf - 13 Aug 2018 8:37 PM

The man has shown himself to be ambitious with many projects both inside and outside of football. Just look at the man's twitter handle.

As long as it doesn't impact his playing commitment to the club (and I can't see how it would) then I think it's great.

Oh yeah, he seems to be very motivated outside playing and goal driven. I am not against it, it's just odd. 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

MELBOURNE Victory were aware of new signing Keisuke Honda’s impending new role with the Cambodian national team during negotiations to sign him, and insist his commitments won’t impact on his time at the club.

Honda, who recently retired as an international player for Japan, was announced as the new general manager of the Cambodian side over the weekend but his obligations will fall entirely within FIFA international breaks.

The A-League will pause for these breaks for the first time this season, and as such Honda will not miss any matches or training sessions with the Victory.

A spokesman for the club told foxsports.com.au the Victory are completely aware of their signing’s new role – one which they believe speaks volumes about his character.

According to Japan-based journalist Dan Orlowitz, the midfielder won’t be paid for his role with Cambodia, but rather just reimbursed for his travel expenses.

His goal is reportedly to promote Cambodia globally.

Honda opened a football academy in Phnom Penh in 2016, and has a history with the Asian nation who are currently ranked 166th in the FIFA world rankings.

Orlowitz reported Honda’s official role with the side would be ‘head of delegation’, allowing him to sit on the bench and give manager and “right hand man” Felix Gonzalez instructions.

“I hope that the experience of the international star will help improve the technique of our national team players and the match results will be better than before,” said Football Federation of Cambodia president Sao Sokha

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

Edited
6 Years Ago by Buggalugs 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

However, there are concerns he is in breach of Asian Football Confederation statutes relating to a conflict of interest.

Article 3 states: “Any person receiving numeration by virtue of a contract from a member association or any of its clubs shall not be entitled to accept work in return for renumeration with another member association at the same time.”

It is understood Victory were aware of the Honda deal with Cambodia, which is why his contract took a little longer to confirm.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Invite the Cambodian National Team to Melbourne & they can play the Victory youth team as much as they want & Honda doesn't have to go anywhere to do his job.     
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search