Usain’s happy to drink Gosford tap water

Usain’s happy to drink Gosford tap water

Author
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Central Coast Mariners to afford Usain Bolt no special treatment during trial

AUGUST 07, 2018

USAIN Bolt jets into Australia this Saturday morning with a hit list of demands.

First off, that his hire car be black.

“Colour of choice, apparently,” laughs Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp. “So black it is.”

And as for all the other demands on that Bolt rider?

“No, there’s only that one,” continues the football boss who now has five days, and counting, to ready for the highest profile trialist in A-League history.

“We’ve had no requests for private bodyguards, personal masseurs, chauffeurs. Nothing about providing bottled water from France, either.

“Apparently, Usain’s happy to drink Gosford tap water like the rest of us.”

Which is wonderful, sure.

And certainly important.

For ever since Bolt’s impending arrival made international headlines back in July, Mariners management have stressed the $50 million striker will be treated no differently to any of those other wannabe professionals — around 50 in total — who have descended upon Mariners HQ in recent weeks to trial for a contract.

Still, this isn’t like giving a shot to some East Gosford Ram, right?

No, this is Project Bolt.

A large-scale operation which involves transporting, housing and protecting a fella who carries all the hype that comes with eight Olympic golds, that 9.58-second PB and, undoubtedly, the most revered of sporting titles — Fastest. Man. Ever.

While the Mariners, understandably, are giving little away about the Jamaican’s accommodation, The Daily Telegraph understands the club has employed the help of millionaire property developer and Central Coast resident Tony Denny.

Apart from owning the Gosford Classic Car Museum — a personal collection of over 400 vehicles worth $70 million — Denny also owns and manages a number of secluded rental properties which, located on sprawling, private estates, would be perfect for Bolt during his stay.

Yet rather than also loaning one of Denny’s expensive cars, or receiving a driver, Bolt will instead get about in one of several Hyundais the club is provided with each year as part of a sponsorship deal.

Asked how Team Bolt would fit inside anything but a stretch Hummer, Mielekamp laughed: “There isn’t any entourage.

“It’s only Bolt and his manager, and the latter is already here. So when Usain arrives at Sydney airport this weekend, he will be travelling alone. And when he drives, it will be in a Hyundai like everyone else at the club.”

Elsewhere, the Mariners will also shift a large chunk of the team’s training sessions from its intimate Tuggerah fields to the 20,000 seat Central Coast Stadium.

Extra security staff will also be on hand for all public appearances by the team.

But as for Bolt receiving his own private dressing room, as was the case when Juventus great Alessandro Del Piero played for Sydney FC?

“No, Usain will be putting his boots on with everyone else,” Mielekamp insists.

“The one thing we’ve been really firm on is that Usain, while trialling for a contract, be treated the same as any player.

“Obviously, we understand the realities of having somebody of his profile. But (when it comes to football) there will be no advantages.

“And that’s what Bolt wants — this is about his football journey.

“There are other clubs (internationally) who offered millions more than he’d able to earn on a contract with us. He’s coming here for the right reasons.”

Apart from being the biggest thing to hit Gosford since Ploddy the Dinosaur in 1963, Bolt’s arrival will also kickstart a Super Saturday of sport in Sydney.

One which includes a Bledisloe Cup match at ANZ Stadium, a Swans and Giants AFL derby, three suburban NRL games — including future Immortal Johnathan Thurston’s last Harbour City appearance — and the return of the world’s greatest racehorse Winx at Royal Randwick.

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

“There are other clubs (internationally) who offered millions more than he’d able to earn on a contract with us. He’s coming here for the right reasons.”

Bullshit, hes only coming here because a club like Mariners would be stupid enough to sign him. 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Imagine the insurance costs to protect the legs of 'the fastest man on earth' from friendly fire training with Matty Simon.
Summerteeth
Summerteeth
Rising Star
Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)Rising Star (842 reputation)

Will U Bolt be driving around in an Hyundai? I love to see that.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Is it normal for a someone to receive a hire car, accommodation, etc, all funded by the club during a trial? I understand that a player with a contract may receive these sorts of perks, but someone on a trial? It just seems completely stupid to me that the club is willing to spend money on a guy that is not (and may never) actually be part of the squad. Especially when the current squad they have is severely lacking. I get that this is for a marketing purposes, but a marketing boost is only useful if they have something else to offer. It's one thing to get people in the door, but getting them to stay and return each week is the hard part. For this circus to be worth their while they need to be in the top half of the table. If they are floundering at the bottom (highly likely with their current squad), then this whole experiment is going to be a massive flop.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

someguyjc - 14 Aug 2018 12:12 PM
Is it normal for a someone to receive a hire car, accommodation, etc, all funded by the club during a trial? I understand that a player with a contract may receive these sorts of perks, but someone on a trial? It just seems completely stupid to me that the club is willing to spend money on a guy that is not (and may never) actually be part of the squad. Especially when the current squad they have is severely lacking. I get that this is for a marketing purposes, but a marketing boost is only useful if they have something else to offer. It's one thing to get people in the door, but getting them to stay and return each week is the hard part. For this circus to be worth their while they need to be in the top half of the table. If they are floundering at the bottom (highly likely with their current squad), then this whole experiment is going to be a massive flop.

You missed the main point - the club is not funding the car - the local Hyundai dealer is. The accommodation is also not being provided by the club but by a returning ex-pat that is investing heavily in local property. Interest in the Central Coast is interest in his developments.

overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I hope he can perform, unlike some of the haters here; wishing, hoping, extolling, that the UBolt experiment fails.

WSF
WSF
Pro

overroared - 14 Aug 2018 12:20 PM
Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I hope he can perform, unlike some of the haters here; wishing, hoping, extolling, that the UBolt experiment fails.

As it fucking should. 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

overroared - 14 Aug 2018 12:20 PM

If it doesn't fail, I eagerly await whatever tops it next.

FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I like how he is a $50m striker now.
Jonsnow
Jonsnow
Rising Star
Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)Rising Star (794 reputation)

Has he ever ..........scored ?

scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

It sounds as though ccm are covering all the bases in the sense that they aren't outlaying anything of monetary value,  so they can't be criticised for paying for him to come out.
It really sounds like ccm can only win in a marketing sense.  Footballing wise if it doesn't work out everyone moves on pretty easily. 
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

patjennings - 14 Aug 2018 11:35 AM
Imagine the insurance costs to protect the legs of 'the fastest man on earth' from friendly fire training with Matty Simon.

I would say pretty minimal. He can't kick a ball to save himself, his running career is over and how much could you really insure anybody signed for the Central Coast Mariners?

WSF
WSF
Pro

PricklePear
PricklePear
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Do Do dododo do Do Do Do circus!

Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

I didn't realise Del Piero had his own private dressing room at Sydney FC. What a fucking diva. My estimation of him has just plummeted precipitously.

I still like Bolt though. 
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Easy to talk big when he's 1000s of km away...wait till he tries Gosford water then let's see
Derider
Derider
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

n i k o - 14 Aug 2018 9:18 PM
Easy to talk big when he's 1000s of km away...wait till he tries Gosford water then let's see

He'll love it. One thing we do right in Australia is tap water. 
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

@Derider

Clearly you haven't travelled around much of Australia
Edited
6 Years Ago by n i k o
Derider
Derider
Pro

n i k o - 14 Aug 2018 9:47 PM
@Derider

Clearly you haven't travelled around much of Australia

Well OK, I don't know about Broken Hill or the outback, but the city water is fine. Much better than in most European capitals. 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Derider - 14 Aug 2018 9:39 PM
n i k o - 14 Aug 2018 9:18 PM

He'll love it. One thing we do right in Australia is tap water. 

Apart from the fluoride

n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro

@Gazprom 2.0

Fluoride that the FFA has put in the water to make us beleive a 10 team franchise system is good for Australian football
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

n i k o - 14 Aug 2018 10:05 PM
@Gazprom 2.0Fluoride that the FFA has put in the water to make us beleive a 10 team franchise system is good for Australian football

What effect will it have on Usain ?

Or Matt Simon?

n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro

Usain? Not sure

Matt Simon? Surely any dangerous chemical would have a positive effect
Eniri
Eniri
Rising Star
Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)Rising Star (804 reputation)

Derider - 14 Aug 2018 2:24 PM
I didn't realise Del Piero had his own private dressing room at Sydney FC. What a fucking diva. My estimation of him has just plummeted precipitously.

One of my favourite stories is that when Arnie took over Del Pieros private dressing room was still locked after he was gone, and nobody had a key.  So Arnie kicked the door in himself with a bunch of the players watching.

No idea if thats true or exaggerated but it made me cheer.
Derider
Derider
Pro

Buggalugs 2.0 - 14 Aug 2018 10:03 PM
Derider - 14 Aug 2018 9:39 PM

Apart from the fluoride

Every normal country with drinkable tap water has fluoride. I agree it isn't particularly tasty, but it saves our teeth (it genuinely does!). 
P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro

Derider - 15 Aug 2018 1:09 AM

Every normal country with drinkable tap water has fluoride. I agree it isn't particularly tasty, but it saves our teeth (it genuinely does!). 

Can't beat forced medication I say.

At least you can smile when you get your IQ results.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Buggalugs 2.0 - 15 Aug 2018 10:04 AM
Derider - 15 Aug 2018 1:09 AM

Can't beat forced medication I say.

At least you can smile when you get your IQ results.

I'll bite.

Please provide peer reviewed studies that back up your assertion.

After all the world's longest and largest experiment went on last century with at least 4 million people on each side of the NSW and QLD border participating.

Queensland went unflurodited for decades whilst NSW water was flurodited for decades so it should be fairly easy to compare just about any measure of health and wellbeing.

Looking forward to you showing the wild disparity across, just some for starters, these illnesses; 

Arthritis
Gastrointestinal Effects
Bone Fracture
Hypersensitivity
Brain Effects
Kidney Disease
Cancer
Male Fertility
Cardiovascular Disease
Pineal Gland
Diabetes
Skeletal Fluorosis
Endocrine Disruption
Thyroid Disease

(All effects listed on a prominent anti-fluoride webpage which I won't dignify with a link.)

As hospital records and admissions are a matter of public record and subjected to massive scrutiny for all sorts of reasons this should be a lay down misere for anyone from the 'chemtrail' camp.

I would ask you to compare education standards but as Queensland lags at or near the bottom for NAPLAN results that's probably one you wish to avoid.

Perhaps fluoride improves brain function?

Member since 2008.

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

OH FFS, save this bullshit for Extra Time please.  
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

Derider - 14 Aug 2018 2:24 PM

Yes he had all of that as well as a paid for apartment at Darling Point worth a couple of grand a week.  I enjoyed watching him & all that however.  
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search