What has happened to the large WSW crowds?

What has happened to the large WSW crowds?

Author
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
It has been satisfying, after having it rammed down our throats how unique and dedicated wanderers fans are, to see the same fickle Sydney syndrome rear its head.

I distinctly remember arguing this a few years back and getting shut down.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

jlm8695
jlm8695
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
16k members which is fantastic. 

Crowds will be low whilst the team is unsuccessful/without a home + the fact that HAL interest is down across the board. 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

This is why picking expansion teams where the fish are could result in a large salmon to the face.
While the population base in Sydney and Melbourne is huge,that may not translate into diehard new fans.
I hope i am wrong ,but i suspect that teams from The Gong,Canberra and Tasmania would draw bigger crowds than 3rd Sydney and Melb teams amd result in more new diehard fans.
Ideally of course teams from all them should be playing.

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

bohemia - 9 Dec 2018 11:44 PM
Waiting for the new stadium to open

End shit thread

+1

Member since 2008.

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 10 Dec 2018 12:13 PM
It has been satisfying, after having it rammed down our throats how unique and dedicated wanderers fans are, to see the same fickle Sydney syndrome rear its head.

I distinctly remember arguing this a few years back and getting shut down.

Lol. Its your turn now. Lets see how you cope. 

To tell you the truth I haven't minded being at Spotless but its nothing in compared to being at Parramatta stadium. We were really spoilt for atmosphere at that stadium even though the facilities were shit. Spotless stadium is still the next best option after Parramatta and everyone knows it, they just don't want to admit it. I have been to 90-95% of home games at Spotless since we left Parra, still hanging in there and CANT wait to get back to our proper home next season. 

femski
femski
Amateur
Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)

Derby this weekend will get a strong crowd I'd say one team getting better the other becoming fragile. I expect at least 35,000 - 45,000 at the derby good thing is the tickets are cheap for home fans $20 tickets 🤑 👍
Vanlassen
Vanlassen
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

femski - 10 Dec 2018 1:28 PM
Derby this weekend will get a strong crowd I'd say one team getting better the other becoming fragile. I expect at least 35,000 - 45,000 at the derby good thing is the tickets are cheap for home fans $20 tickets 🤑 👍

What makes you think 35-45,000 people will show up? Both teams are playing average and we have struggled to get close to that at the previous 3 games.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

I’m thinking 25-30k this week. Far cry from when we peaked at 62k at ANZ.

This is good in a way because there will be a small camp of administrators that want derbies at ANZ. Please no...
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

If Melbourne Victory had to play all their games at the MCG for a season, I'd stop going. It's an absolutely atrocious venue for football, as I imagine Spotless and ANZ are - so I empathize with Wanderers fans. 

Once they get their brand new stadium they'll be back to being the second biggest club in the country, no problem.
femski
femski
Amateur
Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)Amateur (695 reputation)

Vanlassen- fine then I was being silly about the crowd I reckon 25k-35k it'll beat the derby crowd at scg for sure
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

femski - 10 Dec 2018 2:59 PM
Vanlassen- fine then I was being silly about the crowd I reckon 25k-35k it'll beat the derby crowd at scg for sure

The SCG crowd was low because you lot only sold 2500 tickets, plenty SFC fans there. The same will happen this weekend as hardly any SFC fan likes going to Homebush.
Edited
6 Years Ago by SUTHERLANDBEAR
femski
femski
Amateur

SUTHERLANDBEAR- EXPECT US TO FILL YOUR STADIUM MENTALITY, The school boys( the çove)will be there can't wait for them to tear up the seats again on sat you'll always be the second team in Sydney, you guys lost last week for a reason, glory days are over smurfs
Edited
6 Years Ago by femski
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Waz - 10 Dec 2018 6:56 AM
12,000 (first season average)
17,000 (boosted by that 61k ANZ crowd)
8,000 (this season)

And they only need a 24,000 crowd on Saturday to regain a season average of 12,000.

In a season with one home derby they average 12k, when there’s two it’s 14k.

So the “large crowds” haven’t really gone anywhere, WSW are just proof that you put a 12-14k average in a stadium like Para and it looks great but you put them in a giant bowl like Spotless and they look shit.

This post probably sums it up.

WSW crowds have been quite constant according to the data, but look smaller in the bigger stadia, particularly oval venues.

Thanks for the responses from posters discussing the topic. They've made for interesting reading.
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

bohemia - 9 Dec 2018 11:44 PM
Waiting for the new stadium to open

End shit thread

hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

‘Win or lose, we will always follow you.’

mltezr
mltezr
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

IMO it comes down to a couple of things:
1. The stadium. Quite simple it’s shit, even anz. Parramatta felt like home even if you lived in south western Sydney, north west, far west, inner west. Parra was center.
2. Lack of pre match venues. At parra, church street and other streets were pumping on game day. The March was an attraction in itself. There’s no possiblility for that now.
3. The owners/ceo. They have been looking down at the rbb, taking it for granted, pandering to the anti football brigade. Whether you agree or not with the rbb, the owners have believed the club can continue without them, but they have found out that the rbb brought more supporters in and a lot of bridges were burnt.
4. Security/police. Again you may not agree with the rbbs actions but when the police come in aggressively and people can’t do anything, as if they defend themselves against the police, they are risking their job etc. Some people just think why would they bother risking everything, being scrutinised like crazy. The fact the capo was banned for a year for starting a chant with the ‘f’ word shows this. People are over it.
6. Crap football, we will always have our base supporters of 8-10k. Success will bring more.

In saying all this, the crowds will pick up next season with the new stadium. The test will be the season after or the next to see the numbers, especially if we arnt successful.
While I don’t necessarily agree with people not coming to games anymore, I can understand some reasons.
femski
femski
Amateur

Why is it just the WSW we talking about victory have had below average crowds, same with the glory, Bris aswell, even ESFC against the nux 10k or so it's a general problem around the league really but don't get me started on Melbourne shity crowds. If the big clubs ( victory WSW Bris arnt doing well then the crowds will drop) those teams are our only hope on getting big crowds
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

femski - 10 Dec 2018 4:09 PM
SUTHERLANDBEAR- EXPECT US TO FILL YOUR STADIUM MENTALITY, The school boys( the çove)will be there can't wait for them to tear up the seats again on sat you'll always be the second team in Sydney, you guys lost last week for a reason, glory days are over smurfs

Only expect a more than decent turn out from the so called bestest supporters in the world at a derby match, not the pittance that showed up in October. 
BTW , we have NEVER been the second team in the city !
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mltezr - 10 Dec 2018 6:50 PM
IMO it comes down to a couple of things:1. The stadium. Quite simple it’s shit, even anz. Parramatta felt like home even if you lived in south western Sydney, north west, far west, inner west. Parra was center.2. Lack of pre match venues. At parra, church street and other streets were pumping on game day. The March was an attraction in itself. There’s no possiblility for that now.3. The owners/ceo. They have been looking down at the rbb, taking it for granted, pandering to the anti football brigade. Whether you agree or not with the rbb, the owners have believed the club can continue without them, but they have found out that the rbb brought more supporters in and a lot of bridges were burnt.4. Security/police. Again you may not agree with the rbbs actions but when the police come in aggressively and people can’t do anything, as if they defend themselves against the police, they are risking their job etc. Some people just think why would they bother risking everything, being scrutinised like crazy. The fact the capo was banned for a year for starting a chant with the ‘f’ word shows this. People are over it. 6. Crap football, we will always have our base supporters of 8-10k. Success will bring more. In saying all this, the crowds will pick up next season with the new stadium. The test will be the season after or the next to see the numbers, especially if we arnt successful.While I don’t necessarily agree with people not coming to games anymore, I can understand some reasons.

prety much agree on your summary m.
Another point not mentioned, Poppa leaving surprisingly and not but his departure put another nail in momentum that was really needed at the time.
The squad was lacking and still is to date, despite not playing at parra overall wanderers football has been ordinary since the Poppa heydays.
The derbies are great but last couple of seasons have lost that "intensity" what it once was, the FFA sure have had a part in this as well, the many changes at wsw heirachy, team cycles, dominance by SFC of late.

Who's femski multi by the way ?
Got to agree with SUTHERLANDBEAR re the last SCG derby, wanderers were outnumbered by the sea gulls, worst I had ever seen.
I expect being they finally had won of late the numbers should be double triple even this weekend.
About time.
10k vsing Nix imo was bloody good, nrl games struggle making 10k at home games.
Your right femski, MV have also had low numbers last couple of seasons, similar to your mob punishing active support and their board have been dicks as well and their football has been inconsistent till this season, 2 peas in a pod I guess.

Love Football

P&R will fix it 2.0
P&R will fix it 2.0
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

hames_jetfield - 10 Dec 2018 6:38 PM
‘Win or lose, we will always follow the stadium.’

Closed HAL is failing with 10 teams
Closed HAL failed with 11
FFA forced to try a 12 team Closed HAL thatll just create 2 more mid table also-rans
and still this weird 16-team panacea gets trotted out. 
Theres a sticky for this nonsense
https://forum.insidesport.com.au/1617388/The-Aleague-Expansion-Thread

femski
femski
Amateur

Ohhhh western Sydney ohhhh western Sydney, " we get a lot of shit from the rats but we just don't care" we drink a whole carton of wine and we smoke all the marijuana, ohhhhhhh western Sydney. Ohhhhhhhhhh western Sydney !!!!!!!!
femski
femski
Amateur

SUTHERLANDBEAR- your club expected us to fill your stadium relying on your rivals to fill it we ain't paying 30 40 bucks for shit seats on a cricket oval. Your farkin deluded, the rbb can fill three bays at any stadium your school kids çove fill one bay we are always the big club when we came in you knew this day would come just don't want to admit that we get bigger memberships and crowds than you lot. Always hated ESFC even before the WSW came in. You lot stabbed a victory fan have caused enough trouble, don't get punished for flare at the gf 2016/17 had a brawl last year against Adelaide and didn't get punished.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

hames_jetfield - 10 Dec 2018 6:38 PM
‘Win or lose, we will always follow you.’

"Forever red and black, playing at spotless? We don't like that".

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

femski
femski
Amateur

Same will happen to you ESFC when you get shafted at scg and the stadium treats you like farm animals and you get kicked out for swearing
Jokes on you....😂
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

people are ignoring the real issue here... in that WSW have never really drawn big crowds. they are not the big club they are making themselves out to be. 

and yes they may get a spike when the new stadium comes. but once the novelty wears off, they will go back towards their typical mediocrity.

[quote]
433 - 10 Dec 2018 2:59 PM
If Melbourne Victory had to play all their games at the MCG for a season, I'd stop going. It's an absolutely atrocious venue for football, as I imagine Spotless and ANZ are - so I empathize with Wanderers fans. 

ummm... we have played at Marvel for 13 years. we all hate it, but we still pull the best crowds in the league by a fair margin.  

and the irony of course is that WSW fans actually chose spotless over more suitable stadiums. yet they still don't go. their fans are a joke.  
femski
femski
Amateur

We have the largest andthe biggest Barra brava in the league, north terrace were good but they gave in to police and the club board. The çove are the same as always bunch of rats the attitude of the rbb and WSW fans is a never give in style how'd you think San Lorenzo survived after the shit with the afa for years, they never gave up they fought back, problem in Aus is we have soft active supporter groups that give in there were times were the rbb could of gone nuts and done shit you see in South America and Europe. WSW have big crowds bigger than ESFC when our supporters actually show up. Problem is these last few years is the anti football clan of such stadiums spotless for example they treat our sport like its nothing while cricket and afl get number one priority. Enough said.
femski
femski
Amateur

And yes majority of supporters chose spotless now it's ESFC to learn from our mistakes take the games to suburban grounds we should have done Penrith or Marconi and derbies at anz, but you know.....😔
phutbol
phutbol
Semi-Pro

I have no doubt they will average 16k+ at the new stadium. Maybe more.

Real fans absolutely shouldn't be driven away by the performance of the team, but FMD, spotless is horrible and they've been bounced all over the place to other venues as well. Cant blame people for staying away.

CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

Penrith Stadium was never going to be selected. The seated capacity is lower than the number of members that we had at the time of the vote and from memory, the FFA are quite particular about grassed/unseated areas. So Homebush was really the only ever option no matter what people voted. It's a small sacrifice for what is a major long term gain. Spotless stadium's facilities are actually really good, its the location and shape of the field that are the issues. There'd be close to two dozen different food and drink options and the amenities are all well set out with little cues and wait times. 

As someone who's been following the WSW since their founding, the biggest thing that I have noticed is simply that the honeymoon phase is over and we're setting out into the often mundane life of being a football club. For some that's no longer sexy or appealing. I also think this club has been a major victim of its early success and bred spoilt fans who legitimately believed that every season would involve at the very least a grand final. 

The new stadium will be exciting and well worth the wait for those of us who have hung around whilst being on the road but I also don't think that people are going to return in the droves that the club are forecasting unfortunately. I know people who used to plan their weeks around when WSW were playing and these days they'd struggle to tell you when a game was on, let alone go to one.

Every club in the A-League is the same and had gone through it at one point or another, some just worse than others. It's just the nature of our society really - we pride ourselves as a country on being sport mad yet when it comes to the commitment of attending matches week in week out, most don't want anything to do with it. In fairness to WSW, the whole league is abysmal attendance wise right now for the simple reason that it is stale AF...
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

CHEP - 11 Dec 2018 1:38 PM
In fairness to WSW, the whole league is abysmal attendance wise right now for the simple reason that it is stale AF...

It's also December. People have all sorts of commitments on weekends this time of year (eg: family Christmas gatherings and end of year work/club parties). Then in January many people are away on holidays. It's always going to be sketchy attendance/ratings this time of year.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search