Greats in cricket who have been underrated

Greats in cricket who have been underrated

Author
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
MikeR - 19 Dec 2018 5:49 AM
 Of course Selectors read the media, and are more likely to promote these individuals because to go against the media is committing suicide.

Selectors couldn't care less about the media, particularly the ones with no professional cricketing background.

It depends on how the players selected perform in Tests that concerns selectors.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Over the last 10 years media has become dictated by trends on social media, eg when you go to a cricket site esp in Australia, they have a list of most searched players. With 35% of Australians, of course the most popular "trends" will be NSW based. Afterall no average NSW person would be interested in a state game between SA and Tas. Just like an average Qlder, Tasmanian, South Australian is not interested in NSW, but they have smaller population so they don't make a mark on these trends. The media jump on these trends and promote players, it is not performance based anymore. 

I'm very interested in games between other states than my own, Tasmania, when it comes to performances of players who could be in contention for Aussie selection.

This is exemplified currently in Matt Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, Peter Carey, Kurtis Patterson and Glen Maxwell's performances.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The only time overseas players get any attention in Australia is when they tour, and unless people have Fox and an interest in two overseas teams competing they have no idea how truly talented players like Kohli, Sangakkara, Williamson etc are, unless they are continually breaking records. An Australian tour is once every 4 years and is a blip on the radar for most of these players, and makes minimal impact on their overall performances. It does piss me off when people say "yeah, but how did they go in Australia" because that just promotes arrogance which I can assure you is not a typical Australian trait. 

You've hit the nail on the head, Mike.

Aussie pitches are different to most in the rest of the world too.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

The media jump on these trends and promote players, it is not performance based anymore. Of course Selectors read the media, and are more likely to promote these individuals because to go against the media is committing suicide.

eg Cummins, people on this site are already questioning that his best days are behind him.
But if you look at his FC career without tests, it reads 12 matches 40/1095 av 27.4 SR 56. Personally I feel we are just seeing the balancing out of his overall stats the more games he plays. My question is how does a player with those comparatively poor FC stats compared to others in shield get promoted in the first place. But now he is "the face" of cricket getting the advertising roles etc. It gets him a high profile but it doesn't make him a great cricketer.

I've led this.

Just over a year ago he was out most lethal bowler - a force of nature. He has always had a bright future, bowling at express pace from 18 years of age. 

I'm so disappointed in his progress. This is  because after an Asian tour last year he gave us the most lethal  attack in world cricket - when he replaced the injured  Starc and Hazlewood as the spearhead.

Where he is now, is very disappointing.

It is no coincidence he has taken  few wickets in this series. I surmise he has lost an average of 7 kph of pace per ball. The things that worked so well at an average speed of 143kph don't work as well at 136 kph. He was as fast as Starc. He is now  similar speed as Hazlewood, who is more effective at lower speeds. 

Many commentators who look favourably at Paddy's last two  Tests, may net be looking at the speed gun. He is too inexperienced to be a successful reduced pace bowler at this early stage of his his career, like Hadlee, Lillee, McDermott, Courtney Walsh and Steyn, have been late in their careers at reduced speed.

Have Jimmy Anderson and Broad lost pace too?

if Cummins is a 136 kph bowler, then other Aussies can bowl similarly with a more economical action and more endurance - Boland, Tremain, Bird, Gabe Bell, Michael Neser.

If we want raw pace, Richardson and Meredith are bowling faster in the Shield. Stanlake is also bowling very fast, but has no endurance.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

When you look at Kohli his average is 65 in India and 58 in Australia. Not much of a discrepancy.
When you look at Steve Smith his average is 60 in India and 77 in Australia, more of a discrepancy but still excellent
But look at the previous high profile David Warner. 60 average in Australia, 24 in India. His overall away average is 37. But try telling the average cricket follower in Australia he is garbage, David would not make an India side because half their games are played in India. But Indian supporters still respect Warner and pay him big bucks to play there. Australians don't reciprocate this respect to overseas talent.

Very well said and argued, Mike.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 17 Dec 2018 10:43 PM
Decentric - 17 Dec 2018 10:42 PM

Kallis was the worst to watch of Sachin, Punter, Sanga, Lara... he was dour and an accumulator. He makes a lot ATG teams regardless for the all-rounder aspect. Steyn is an ATG. Absilutely.

True.

But Kallis's results have been amazing.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
MikeR - 19 Dec 2018 5:00 AM

I must have missed this. Heat wave in England is considered consecutive days pushing 30 degrees. In Qld I consider this a warm winter. Somehow I don't think those temps would have benefited India.

Not according to my Brummie mate. Temps were in the mid to late 30s most days. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Decentric - 19 Dec 2018 8:30 AM

Very well said and argued, Mike.

We agree on this Mike.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 19 Dec 2018 8:28 AM

I've led this.

Just over a year ago he was out most lethal bowler - a force of nature. He has always had a bright future, bowling at express pace from 18 years of age. 

I'm so disappointed in his progress. This is  because after an Asian tour last year he gave us the most lethal  attack in world cricket - when he replaced the injured  Starc and Hazlewood as the spearhead.

It is no coincidence he has taken  few wickets in this series. I surmise he has lost an average of 7 kph of pace per ball. The things that worked so well at an average speed of 143kph don't work as well at 136 kph. He was as fast as Starc. He is now  similar speed as Hazlewood, who is more effective at lower speeds. 

Many commentators who look favourably at Paddy's last two  Tests, may net be looking at the speed gun. He is too inexperienced to be a successful reduced pace bowler at this early stage of his his career, like Hadlee, Lillee, McDermott, Courtney Walsh and Steyn, have been late in their careers at reduced speed.

if Cummins is a 136 kph bowler, then other Aussies can bowl similarly with a more economical action and more endurance - Boland, Tremain, Bird, Gabe Bell, Michael Neser.

If we want raw pace, Richardson and Meredith are bowling faster in the Shield. Stanlake is also bowling very fast, but has no endurance.

DC We saw a touch of Cummo's old pace wrapping up the Test match.. Looked to me like that express demon like intimidation we have seen in past years.. Not sure what the speed gun showed.. I will say low 140s as a short ball..That translates to hi 140s/150 with a fuller ball. Needs to produce it more if he wants to stay a member of this attack.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 19 Dec 2018 8:06 AM

I'm very interested in games between other states than my own, Tasmania, when it comes to performances of players who could be in contention for Aussie selection.

This is exemplified currently in Matt Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, Peter Carey, Kurtis Patterson and Glen Maxwell's performances.

Mike is doing his very best to get another member to follow his anti NSW bias trends. Ignore him DC.

I too watch other states for the same reasons DC. . In fact I am almost fanatical. That is why I sometimes have a crashed computer because I am trying to watch three live streams at once.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

When you look at Kohli his average is 65 in India and 58 in Australia. Not much of a discrepancy.
When you look at Steve Smith his average is 60 in India and 77 in Australia, more of a discrepancy but still excellent
But look at the previous high profile David Warner. 60 average in Australia, 24 in India. His overall away average is 37. But try telling the average cricket follower in Australia he is garbage, David would not make an India side because half their games are played in India. But Indian supporters still respect Warner and pay him big bucks to play there. Australians don't reciprocate this respect to overseas talent.

Warner has been an absolute gun in the IPL...

Gayle gets all the media, but its really been Warner, KW, ABdV and Kohli that dominate the IPL in recent years... Rohit does very well most years too... Raina is an ace... You'll see Rayudu in the ODI's...
Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

I've led this.

Steyn has not really reduced speed at all.... I watched video of him bowling 139km yesterday from ten years ago... He was mid 140's in this tour of Aus...

Steyn is very very very fit... I'd back him to wind up 150 clicks tomorrow if asked to do so...

Jimmy has not lost pace, Broad has in a big way, though. In a real big way...

Hadlee and McGrath dropped their pace to be better bowlers... I doubt this is the case with the majority of pace losses...
Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

You have to remember that people on these forums are not "average" cricket followers. I would say they are well and truly above average, so yes you may follow shield cricket, even going to home games, crashing computers etc, but the average cricket follower wouldn't even know who won the shield. You may say selectors are more interested in how players perform in tests, but how does a player first get selected to play their first test. Selectors don't go to every single game at shield level it is impossible for them to do so, so they rely on media outlets to update them. Where are these outlets?

The Australian Headquarters 2 Holt street, Surry Hills, New South Wales, Australia
The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW)
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW)
These are the 3 biggest selling newspapers

Fox Sports (Australia) Artarmon, New South Wales
Seven Network Headquarters Sydney
Nine Network Headquarters Sydney

So who do they promote the most? Does the Courier Mail in Qld or The Western Australian with 130K readers really make a difference, The Age only has 80K, The Mercury only 37K. 
Sydney dominates the media and they promote NSW, even here in Brisbane we get the televised Sydney News which does show all the NSW games with a little blip about other games then we get the Qld News. Probably the same in the other states I am assuming. Do Sydney get the Queensland News? Of course not. So NSW gets promoted nationally, with other states only promoted locally. Morning shows "Today" (Sydney) "Sunrise" (Sydney) "The Morning Show" (Sydney). Starting to see a pattern.

This is not me being anti-NSW as Baggers likes to say, it is highlighting how the media is a bias medium and it is not to be quoted as factual, because it extremely subjective. So the fortunate players to receive promotion not at local level but on a national level are the NSW players. It is best to watch yourselves and form an honest opinion of what you see as an individual. The "average " cricket follower regurgitates what they have seen or read in the media. 

To me the media are supposed to be honest in their reporting and give a fair go to all. Using a recent example Joe Burns was playing for an opening position in the Australian team. Even Baggers will admit it was the dodgiest decision all season when he was given out. The media made no mention of this. No all that mattered to the media was promoting Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins return. This decision, if made known by the media, may have seen Burns in the side, his form and history would be deserving of that selection, and Burns may have got a lucrative million dollar contract. That decision ultimately cost Joe Burns a million dollars. Now if it was a NSW player in that position, how do you think they would have handled it? How many replays of that decision would have been all over the news.

But this is a point I make on a local level to show how at international level Australian don't know the real International cricketer because they rarely report International games. When Australian media make someone out to be the villain, this year it happens to be Kholi, but there have been many others such as Hadlee, Graham Smith was another, they gloss over how truly talented these players are. They are more interested in selling and villains sell.

Edited
6 Years Ago by MikeR
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 19 Dec 2018 12:48 PM

DC We saw a touch of Cummo's old pace wrapping up the Test match.. Looked to me like that express demon like intimidation we have seen in past years.. Not sure what the speed gun showed.. I will say late 140s. Needs to produce it more if he wants to stay a member of this attack.

I didn't see him bowl a ball above 143kph, but there were a few short balls that climbed off the pitch 139-142 kph in Perth. I watched a lot of the Test too.

Even in the first Test against England last year he was constantly bowling short balls 140 kph and over.  In Asia last year he was bowling balls that climbed off the pitch 145 kph plus!

It is no coincidence  his wicket taking has diminished against India.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Over the last 10 years media has become dictated by trends on social media, eg when you go to a cricket site esp in Australia, they have a list of most searched players. With 35% of Australians, of course the most popular "trends" will be NSW based. Afterall no average NSW person would be interested in a state game between SA and Tas. Just like an average Qlder, Tasmanian, South Australian is not interested in NSW, but they have smaller population so they don't make a mark on these trends. The media jump on these trends and promote players, it is not performance based anymore. Of course Selectors read the media, and are more likely to promote these individuals because to go against the media is committing suicide.

eg Cummins, people on this site are already questioning that his best days are behind him.
But if you look at his FC career without tests, it reads 12 matches 40/1095 av 27.4 SR 56. Personally I feel we are just seeing the balancing out of his overall stats the more games he plays. My question is how does a player with those comparatively poor FC stats compared to others in shield get promoted in the first place. But now he is "the face" of cricket getting the advertising roles etc. It gets him a high profile but it doesn't make him a great cricketer.

The only time overseas players get any attention in Australia is when they tour, and unless people have Fox and an interest in two overseas teams competing they have no idea how truly talented players like Kohli, Sangakkara, Williamson etc are, unless they are continually breaking records. An Australian tour is once every 4 years and is a blip on the radar for most of these players, and makes minimal impact on their overall performances. It does *** me off when people say "yeah, but how did they go in Australia" because that just promotes arrogance which I can assure you is not a typical Australian trait. 

Warner does have big descrepency home and way.
However there is an oddity, he averages 63.33 against South Africa in South Africa but only 40.18 against South African in Australia. Make of that whatever you like.
He also has a surprisingly terrible record in the West Indies averaging only 26.9 when they are a very weak team.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Test_Fan - 20 Dec 2018 1:03 PM

However there is an oddity, he averages 63.33 against South Africa in South Africa but only 40.18 against South African in Australia. Make of that whatever you like.
He also has a surprisingly terrible record in the West Indies averaging only 26.9 when they are a very weak team.

Grassy, moving decks? Warner hates the moving ball.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 20 Dec 2018 9:08 AM
baggygreenmania - 19 Dec 2018 12:48 PM

I didn't see him bowl a ball above 143kph, but there were a few short balls that climbed off the pitch 139-142 kph in Perth. I watched a lot of the Test too.

Even in the first Test against England last year he was constantly bowling short balls 140 kph and over.  In Asia last year he was bowling balls that climbed off the pitch 145 kph plus!

It is no coincidence  his wicket taking has diminished against India.

I changed that post.. altered the speeds.. those two thunderbolts that cleaned up India were clocked at 141.. translated to a fuller ball that would be around 150. My point being that Cummins can still crank it up to express.. but seldom does.  He is bowling well within himself.. Looks to be saving his body.  I am betting this is on orders from CA.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 21 Dec 2018 11:16 AM

Grassy, moving decks? Warner hates the moving ball.

Probably.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

I must have missed this. Heat wave in England is considered consecutive days pushing 30 degrees. In Qld I consider this a warm winter. Somehow I don't think those temps would have benefited India.

It's a myth... Kohli can bat well -easily the best of Indian and England combined in swing conditions...

He nailed it... ball was hoooping around corners... he still found the middle...

Kohli is a serious talent - you can only deny it for so long before you like a fool...
Edited
6 Years Ago by Paddles
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

37 away average these days is handy and hardly rubbish

have a look at technician mark waughs average in india!

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 25 Dec 2018 1:21 AM
37 away average these days is handy and hardly rubbish

have a look at technician mark waughs average in india!

What was M Waugh's average in India?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Paddles - 22 Dec 2018 5:11 PM

It's a myth... Kohli can bat well -easily the best of Indian and England combined in swing conditions...

He nailed it... ball was hoooping around corners... he still found the middle...

Kohli is a serious talent - you can only deny it for so long before you like a fool...

I can't believe anyone would contend that Kohli is anything but a great batter ATM.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

That is an interesting anomaly.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Decentric - 26 Dec 2018 8:50 AM
grazorblade - 25 Dec 2018 1:21 AM

What was M Waugh's average in India?

around 10 if I recall correctly

ESPN cricinfo have changed their site though to make getting stats on players harder for some reason
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 26 Dec 2018 9:27 AM
Decentric - 26 Dec 2018 8:50 AM

around 10 if I recall correctly

ESPN cricinfo have changed their site though to make getting stats on players harder for some reason

Wow!

A failure!

I've found Cricinfo the same - more difficult to navigate than it is used to be.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 26 Dec 2018 9:36 AM
grazorblade - 26 Dec 2018 9:27 AM

Wow!

A failure!

I've found Cricinfo the same - more difficult to navigate than it is used to be.

STATSGURU (Cricinfo stats) fellars. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search