Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Australia - India, Boxing Day (3rd) Test.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Paddles - 30 Dec 2018 3:54 AM
The real issue is CA is falling behind the rest of the world in a big way after leading with its academies... a huge problem right now that Aus has is the BBL is during the test home season - India was far too smart to do that with the IPL.....

India brains 1 Aus - silly :)

Cricket isn't AFL - you have roofed stadiums - there was an easy fix....

OK animated emoticon

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

MikeR - 29 Dec 2018 7:56 PM
baggygreenmania - 29 Dec 2018 7:22 PM

So U19 WC gets you in the Australian side......B.S. Baggers. A F***ing One Day meaningless tournament that is so bias in it's selection process, gets a player selected to wear the baggy green. AND YOU WONDER WHY WE'RE LOSING.

How did he go in the round robin stage of that tournament 
Against USA Hazlewood 3/46 Alister McDermott took 4/29 (Don't see McDermott in the Australian side)
Against Ireland Hazlewood 0/11 Kane Richardson 3/23 (Don't see Richardson playing test matches) McDermott DNP
Against South Africa Hazlewood 0/58 Kane Richardson 3/49 McDermott 1/49 (Still don't see Richardson nor McDermott  in the Australian side) SURPRISE SURPRISE HAZLEWOOD COULDN'T TAKE A WICKET AGAINST SA EVEN BACK THEN!!!!!!
So 3/115, sees you progress to the U19 finals and ultimately wearing a baggy green, whilst McDermott and Richardson were in and out of the U19 side. BIAS, BIAS,BIAS. Hazlewood wasn't consistent then, not consistent now.

Baggers Australia have just been pants and spanked by SA and India's bowlers and Hazlewood's performance is pathetic, but hey keep picking him in the hope he may come good, which has been your story for the last 3 years. Just to refresh your memory with no more tests this year

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?class=1;id=2018;type=year

Worst bowler this year, when Australia was pants and spanked, is Josh "GLOW WORM" Hazlewood. Forget Tremain, Josh is the man, let him keep earning his millions, whilst Tremain just gets the crusts of bread that Josh leaves behind. Tremain's performances mean nothing he didn't play the U19 tournament. Other bowlers in Australia, give up and play T20 get some money there, Josh is going nowhere, regardless of his performances at sheffield shield level, his poor showing in test matches over the last year, no, last 32 tests he's played, he played U19 tournament. 

And that people is typical of how CA work, they have their pets who get the contracts, and people wonder why players search for the dollars in T20 and people call them sell outs. They have families to house and feed and CA aren't rewarding true performances. I for one don't blame them and that is why Australia is losing, players are searching for the dollars elsewhere.

So U19 WC gets you in the Australian side......B.S. Baggers. A F***ing One Day meaningless tournament that is so bias in it's selection process, gets a player selected to wear the baggy green. AND YOU WONDER WHY WE'RE LOSING.

Cream rose to the top when needed. Without looking at details Josh bowled well in the finals. That is what really counts.
  I would not call a world cup meaningless.. Trawl thru the archives and check out how many of ours and overseas stars of past and present announced themselves in this "meaningless" tournament. The only thing I want changed is bring in a red ball component for both our underage nationals and world cup. Better still make them red ball tournaments.
Edited
6 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 8:19 AM
As for whether NSW scores are inflated here are the ground averages per wicket over the past season

NSW 30.1
Tas 25.9
WA 32.1
QLD 47.75
SA 34.8
Vic 30.26

If NSW runs are inflated due to flat pitches its not showing up in the stats.....

Last year Patterson away from home scored 14, 0, 12, 16, 22, 17, 24, 16, 43 and 53 (217 av 21.7), but overall he scored 672 runs at 37. That is a big discrepancy and only 1 test a year is played in Sydney, where Patterson scored 455 runs @ 56.8 So yes I see an inflated average.

But this year Patterson is scoring away from home with the century in Perth being his best to date, so though I don't think Patterson is ready just yet, he has definitely improved and maybe next year if this form continues he is worthy of being potentially selected.

Lets have an honest look at Patterson say against SA away from home last 3 years 0, 7, 14, 0, 17, 12 (total 50 runs @8.3) Outstanding

I'll be generous and look at WA since he just scored a century there. 24, 16, 8, 39, (av was 21) then scored 107, 43 lifting his av to 40 so yes that is moving in the right direction

But in all honesty he has played OK against the Vics scoring 61, 43, 53, 63 and 53 a lot of good starts but where are the 100's

I do remember at the Gabba a few years ago he did score a 111, the reason I remember that game is Joe Burns MURDERED Starc and Hazlewood scoring 160 for the game.

But maybe you're right this discrepancy doesn't affect all players in NSW, Let's have a look at this year

Hughes Home av 71 Away 18
Larkin Home av 62.5 Away 30
Henriques Home av 55.4 Away 22.5
Sangha Home av 53 Away 9
Edwards Home av 35 Away 21
Nevill Home av 32 Away 18

Does anyone else see a discrepancy between home and away, because my "bias" may be clouding my judgement? Discrepancies for individuals sure I can accept that but for every member of the team, I'd say inflated averages
Edited
6 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 9:53 AM
jaszyjim - 30 Dec 2018 9:49 AM

some fight has been put into a very average team by him perhaps but he should be well away from selection. Perhaps some tactical changes like you suggest could help too

some fight has been put into a very average team by him perhaps but he should be well away from selection. Perhaps some tactical changes like you suggest could help too. 

Agree. I am also against the coach being a selector.

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 10:12 AM
grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 8:19 AM

Last year Patterson away from home scored 14, 0, 12, 16, 22, 17, 24, 16, 43 and 53 (217 av 21.7), but overall he scored 672 runs at 37. That is a big discrepancy and only 1 test a year is played in Sydney, where Patterson scored 455 runs @ 56.8 So yes I see an inflated average.

But this year Patterson is scoring away from home with the century in Perth being his best to date, so though I don't think Patterson is ready just yet, he has definitely improved and maybe next year if this form continues he is worthy of being potentially selected.

Lets have an honest look at Patterson say against SA away from home last 3 years 0, 7, 14, 0, 17, 12 (total 50 runs @8.3) Outstanding

I'll be generous and look at WA since he just scored a century there. 24, 16, 8, 39, (av was 21) then scored 107, 43 lifting his av to 40 so yes that is moving in the right direction

But in all honesty he has played OK against the Vics scoring 61, 43, 53, 63 and 53 a lot of good starts but where are the 100's

I do remember at the Gabba a few years ago he did score a 111, the reason I remember that game is Joe Burns MURDERED Starc and Hazlewood scoring 160 for the game.

But maybe you're right this discrepancy doesn't affect all players in NSW, Let's have a look at this year

Hughes Home av 71 Away 18
Larkin Home av 62.5 Away 30
Henriques Home av 55.4 Away 22.5
Sangha Home av 53 Away 9
Edwards Home av 35 Away 21
Nevill Home av 32 Away 18

Does anyone else see a discrepancy between home and away, because my "bias" may be clouding my judgement?

Post all state players Mike. Instead of targeting only those from the state you clearly detest. Then we will get the full story. I would a have notioned that home ground advantage was just that.. so home scores would be superior to away. I may be wrong. So prove me wrong mr stats man.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Won't work, think of it this way, this current test could have been Cummins rotation out of the side. No the only answer is if there is an obvious "out of form" player, send them back to shield level to work out their form problems, persistence in hope of a turn around at an international level leads to losses. 

I have already agreed with that. If Hazlewood has been dropping his form then a spell in domestic cricket to refind that mojo is what is needed. Not sure he could have bowled much better than he did in this Test to be honest. He could have been rewarded more for that effort. So is he about to turn the corner? Having said that, I for one would welcome a bowler of Hazlewood's calibre to lead the Blues attack.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Now

18.5°C falling
Updated at 10:20 EDT Melbourne for Sunday Cloudy. Medium chance of showers, becoming less likely in the early afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and early afternoon. 

This forecast spells doom I'm afraid. There will be sufficient time for India to wrap up the series and win their first ever Border/Gavaskar Trophy on Aussie soil. Hang your clueless heads CA and our batsmen.
Who thinks simply to draw a series if you are the defending champions warrants winning the tournament? The series should be classed as a tie.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 10:17 AM
MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 10:12 AM

Post all state players Mike. Instead of targeting only those from the state you clearly detest. Then we will get the full story. I would a have notioned that home ground advantage was just that.. so home scores would be superior to away. I may be wrong. So prove me wrong mr stats man.

I can't be bothered doing all states but I'll do Qld which is representative of the other 5 states, you'll just have to take my word on that
Burns Home 44 Away 41
Renshaw Home 32 Away 12 (He is horribly out of form)
Hemphrey Home 30 Away 24
Heazlett Home 9 Away 32
Labuschagne Home 27 Away 31
Wildermuth Home 15 Away 26
Peirson Home 33 Away 27.5

See the averages Home against away are a lot closer and in some cases they're better away from home than at home. Which is exactly what you expect
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 10:14 AM

some fight has been put into a very average team by him perhaps but he should be well away from selection. Perhaps some tactical changes like you suggest could help too. 

In cricket, is our coach to close to the players to make the hard decisions who should be in & out.
As far as I am aware in the AFL, the coach coaches the coaches and whilst familiar with the players is a step away from them
working on strategies, team selection to suit opposition, conditions etc.
Should we have a bigger squad coming into a test series that the team is selected from based on performance & such.
I guess what I m trying to say, is do we look at the way we coach to improve same..
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Pat Cummins makes a valid point about the cohesion of our pace bowling unit. They have played together for a decade.. rather Haze and Starc has. They hail from the same state so know each others games. But above all they are close mates. When all is said and done the all important issue is that all three have to be in optimum form. Then they would be a world class trio.. perhaps the best. .They are not at the moment. So will CA break up this cohesive unit.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

jaszyjim - 30 Dec 2018 10:56 AM

In cricket, is our coach to close to the players to make the hard decisions who should be in & out.
As far as I am aware in the AFL, the coach coaches the coaches and whilst familiar with the players is a step away from them
working on strategies, team selection to suit opposition, conditions etc.
Should we have a bigger squad coming into a test series that the team is selected from based on performance & such.
I guess what I m trying to say, is do we look at the way we coach to improve same..

News on the Australian contracts. Pat Cummins is calling for multi-year contracts, especially for the bowlers (who just happen to be his fellow NSW players) Think about that, out injured for a year or two, CA have to pay them out, meanwhile another misses out, unless CA is prepared to part with additional funds. Or worse still bowlers out of form will continued to be selected because CA has a multi-year contract. Talk about lining your pockets. I don't mind Cummins suggesting it, based on his importance to the team, but taking his fellow bowlers with him. Remember when Cummins was out injured he still had his yearly contract with CA renewed I believe every year. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 11:03 AM
jaszyjim - 30 Dec 2018 10:56 AM

News on the Australian contracts. Pat Cummins is calling for multi-year contracts, especially for the bowlers (who just happen to be his fellow NSW players) Think about that, out injured for a year or two, CA have to pay them out, meanwhile another misses out, unless CA is prepared to part with additional funds. Or worse still bowlers out of form will continued to be selected because CA has a multi-year contract. Talk about lining your pockets. I don't mind Cummins suggesting it, based on his importance to the team, but taking his fellow bowlers with him. Remember when Cummins was out injured he still had his yearly contract with CA renewed I believe every year. 

More NSW bias Mike. that is not what the Tele is reporting. 

What the matter mate. No Qld bowlers putting their hands up to replace our out of formers?
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 11:12 AM
MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 11:03 AM

More NSW bias Mike. That is not what the Tele is reporting. 

The first session looks like being rained out. Has been some heavy stuff.. takes longer to dry the runups and outfield. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 10:50 AM
baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 10:17 AM

I can't be bothered doing all states but I'll do Qld which is representative of the other 5 states, you'll just have to take my word on that
Burns Home 44 Away 41
Renshaw Home 32 Away 12 (He is horribly out of form)
Hemphrey Home 30 Away 24
Heazlett Home 9 Away 32
Labuschagne Home 27 Away 31
Wildermuth Home 15 Away 26
Peirson Home 33 Away 27.5

See the averages Home against away are a lot closer and in some cases they're better away from home than at home. Which is exactly what you expect

it looks like a weird reason to exclude him based on low statistics that was only true a season ago.
Nothing wrong with the scg or runs scored there. If we had 30 players averaging 40+ then we can nitpick like that but for mine he's earned his placed

p.s. go rain :D
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Where do you stand on the captain being an official selector like Michael Clarke was?
2012/13 Selectors were John Inverarity (c), Ryan Terry (Director) Michael Clarke, Mickey Arthur, Rod Marsh, Andy Bichel

You remember that period Baggers when we toured India and England, "Homeworkgate", Clarke and Arthur the "on tour" selectors, the touring team all NSW players, Cowan Warner, Hughes, Watson, Smith, Clarke, Haddin, Henriques, Lyon, Khawaja. Sheffield shield 2012/13 NSW also has Starc, Hazelwood, Bollinger, Copeland O'Keefe, Nevill, Maddinson. WoW what a side they had must have won the shield that year............No they didn't Tasmania and Qld played the final, with Tasmania winning, Ricky's last game wasn't it. The memories.

What was the result for Australia that year when Clarke was captain/selector? India won 4-0 and England won 3-0 wasn't it? Poor Michael Clarke had to step down from his selectors role all his power taken away, and Mickey Arthur got the chop. I think that is the true legacy Clarke left Australian cricket, Never allow the captain to choose the side.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 11:23 AM

it looks like a weird reason to exclude him based on low statistics that was only true a season ago.
Nothing wrong with the scg or runs scored there. If we had 30 players averaging 40+ then we can nitpick like that but for mine he's earned his placed

Just saying is it fair to exclude a player that averages 37.5 but may play for another state who don't play half their games in NSW. But hey if you're looking for 50 averages put the entire batting order of NSW in the side, just don't play a test anywhere else. Moises has a 34 average but he is averaging 55 in NSW, put him in with his 23 average at test level. IMO Patterson could do with another year, I do like his consistency but only 6 FC centuries in 58 games. But he needs to develop his game away from NSW. Not disagreeing with his selection but I like him at 6, so who is a good No 4 if S Marsh goes, and potentially can move to No 5/6 when Smith comes back.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

MikeR - 30 Dec 2018 12:01 PM

Just saying is it fair to exclude a player that averages 37.5 but may play for another state who don't play half their games in NSW. But hey if you're looking for 50 averages put the entire batting order of NSW in the side, just don't play a test anywhere else. Moises has a 34 average but he is averaging 55 in NSW, put him in with his 23 average at test level. IMO Patterson could do with another year, I do like his consistency but only 6 FC centuries in 58 games. But he needs to develop his game away from NSW. Not disagreeing with his selection but I like him at 6, so who is a good No 4 if S Marsh goes, and potentially can move to No 5/6 when Smith comes back.

6 centuries and 26 50s from 103 innings is bang on average for an average player averaging 41
Maxwell with a near identical average has 7 centuries and 21 50s from 104 innings

We can't exactly afford to wait and watch these dibbly dobblers crash and burn while we have a bunch average batsmen who could at least make us competitive

We should also beg lynn to come back since he has the 3rd highest 1st class average in Australia
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Radar still showing plenty of rain heading for Melbourne this arvo.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:31 PM

Radar still showing plenty of rain heading for Melbourne this arvo.

perhaps a little late though in this source
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/15746:25:AS
do you have another source with better news?

Also there is a pollen warning. Can you pause a test for pollen? Some one could be allergic you know....
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

so what has changed uniquely in australia that our batting has fallen so much?

I heard we have a few less 1st class matches per year
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

6 centuries and 26 50s from 103 innings is bang on average for an average player averaging 41
Maxwell with a near identical average has 7 centuries and 21 50s from 104 innings. 

There is also 5 years between the two. Lets invest in the younger man as we are certain to get a better return from him in the longer term. There is talk to return Labu.. with his @33 average. Could this be as they view his bowling useful for Sydney. Will someone inform CA that the SCG is no longer a spinning paradise.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 12:37 PM

I heard we have a few less 1st class matches per year

You talking about the Shield? You have lost track living overseas grazor.  Still 10. There will be a national outcry if they ever reduce them. They have cut the domestic limited overs matches. But who cares about that?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 12:35 PM
baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:31 PM

perhaps a little late though in this source
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/15746:25:AS
do you have another source with better news?

Also there is a pollen warning. Can you pause a test for pollen? Some one could be allergic you know....

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/vic/melbourne/128km

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:40 PM
Maxwell with a near identical average has 7 centuries and 21 50s from 104 innings. 

There is also 5 years between the two. Lets invest in the younger man as we are certain to get a better return from him in the longer term. There is talk to return Labu.. with his @33 average. Could this be as they view his bowling useful for Sydney. Will someone inform CA that the SCG is no longer a spinning paradise.

if you have white and maxwell you have 2 part time spinners which is enough to give support to lyon but gives you 2 batsmen averaging over 40

Burns
Marsh
Khawaja
Pattison
white
Maxwell

at least we will be competitive then
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:44 PM

looks pretty clear :(
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

That is the $64,000 question. I maintain it is poor junior coaching. In addition, CA's Pathway Program targets kids with white ball cricket not red ball. Wonder why?
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:47 PM

That is the $64,000 question. I maintain it is poor junior coaching. In addition, CA's Pathway Program targets kids with white ball cricket not red ball. Wonder why?

slater said in an interview that young players used to play against low grade (usually drunk) adults as early teenagers but they scrapped that

I could see that killing mental toughness.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 12:47 PM

looks pretty clear :(

Is your radar animated or static? Mine is showing rain band from Beaufort in the west over the next two hours.. running smack bang into Melbourne.
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:49 PM
grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 12:47 PM

Is your radar animated or static? Mine is showing rain band from Beaufort in the west over the next two hours.. running smack bang into Melbourne.

hopefully we last 2 hours then
come on boys
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 30 Dec 2018 12:44 PM
baggygreenmania - 30 Dec 2018 12:40 PM

if you have white and maxwell you have 2 part time spinners which is enough to give support to lyon but gives you 2 batsmen averaging over 40

Burns
Marsh
Khawaja
Pattison
white
Maxwell

at least we will be competitive then

grazor you have now typed Pattison . You are becoming confused with Pattinson I think. Just think patter as in rain drops.

I'd have White at #4 to break up the lefties.  You sticking with Marsh?
Edited
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search