2019 Under 19 Tour of Sri Lanka.

2019 Under 19 Tour of Sri Lanka.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Australia Under 19 Squad: Iain Carlisle NSW) Oliver Davies (NSW) Zak Evans (VIC) Sam Fanning (NSW) Jarrod Freeman (TAS) Lachlan Hearne (NSW) Baxter Holt (NSW) Corey Hunter (QLD) Josh Kann (QLD) Liam Marshall (NSW)  Keegan Oates (TAS) Tanveer Sangha (NSW)  Will Sutherland  (VIC) Matthew Willans - (QLD) Coach: Ryan Harris. Assistant Coach: Wade Townsend

First game gets underway this afternoon. We accounted for the Lankan U19s in 2017 when they toured our shores. There is one glaring difference between the last tour and this one. This time thankfully and finally there is a three day red ball game in the itinerary.

2017 Results.

SL19
221lost to244/4AUS1923/04/17Sri Lanka Under-19s tour of Australia 2017
SL19163/8lost to164/6AUS1921/04/17Sri Lanka Under-19s tour of Australia 2017
SL19149lost to251/7AUS1918/04/17Sri Lanka Under-19s tour of Australia 2017
SL19222beat214AUS1915/04/17Sri Lanka Under-19s tour of Australia 2017
SL19105lost to265/9AUS1913/04/17Sri Lanka Under-19s tour of Australia 2017

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

First game for the U19 against Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka 6/262
Tasmanian spinner Jarrod Freeman 1/44 (10) the pick of the bowlers, well supported by Queenslander Josh Kahn 2/27 and Victorian Zac Evans 2/53. The 17 year old wicket keeper Kamil Mishara scored 123 opening the batting for Sri Lanka

Australia 3/263 (47.5 overs)
New South Welshman Sam Fanning scored 108, supported by Queenslander Corey Hunter 47 in a 114 opening partnership. Tasmanian Keegan Oates scored 29 and New South Welshman Oliver Davies finished with 50*.

Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

MikeR - 4 Jan 2019 6:24 AM
First game for the U19 against Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka 6/262
Tasmanian spinner Jarrod Freeman 1/44 (10) the pick of the bowlers, well supported by Queenslander Josh Kahn 2/27 and Victorian Zac Evans 2/53. The 17 year old wicket keeper Kamil Mishara scored 123 opening the batting for Sri Lanka

Australia 3/263 (47.5 overs)
New South Welshman Sam Fanning scored 108, supported by Queenslander Corey Hunter 47 in a 114 opening partnership. Tasmanian Keegan Oates scored 29 and New South Welshman Oliver Davies finished with 50*.

Very encouraging start by our kids. Looking forward to the later red ball game. First time ever I understand in an U19 tour. About time. Corey Hunter could have a decent career .. a big FL ton already on his resume. 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 4 Jan 2019 10:01 AM
MikeR - 4 Jan 2019 6:24 AM

Very encouraging start by our kids. Looking forward to the later red ball game. First time ever I understand in an U19 tour. About time. Corey Hunter could have a decent career .. a big FL ton already on his resume. 

Agree Baggers I rate FL higher than U19. Quality of bowling attack, but that makes sense, but they have to play well with the opposition available. Freeman bowled well, spinners are always useful, but lets be honest only one at a time, and 15 years to choose from, not likely to wear the baggy green. Fanning impressive we need Opening batsmen.

Better talking to you Craig on these posts, rather than the others which are solely for the entertainment, and arguments. No offence mate, but I don't know if I'll forgive you for leaving me carrying the flag on Aussie Aces. I actually came second in the world last year on the expert Gold member quizzes, F***in Dragonquest, could never beat him he kicked my arse, he was good, but it cost me financially that is to be part of it.. I ended up winning quite a few head to head combats, even written up once and bet on, 50% backing, but ended up losing in the final. But all is forgiven, partly. Cheers mate. You should go on and look at the quizzes i wrote, Academy Awards 1970- to about 1975, couple of cricket ones which I had to use you to clear Aussie Aces as they wouldn't allow me to write more, cricket was easy, and I know you wouldn't object that i used your name, plus got bored, plus wife thought i spent to much time etc, you know how it is. Don't let the other know. Hate each other is a good gimmick
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 4 Jan 2019 8:36 PM
baggygreenmania - 4 Jan 2019 10:01 AM

Agree Baggers I rate FL higher than U19. Quality of bowling attack, but that makes sense, but they have to play well with the opposition available. Freeman bowled well, spinners are always useful, but lets be honest only one at a time, and 15 years to choose from, not likely to wear the baggy green. Fanning impressive we need Opening batsmen.

Better talking to you Craig on these posts, rather than the others which are solely for the entertainment, and arguments. No offence mate, but I don't know if I'll forgive you for leaving me carrying the flag on Aussie Aces. I actually came second last year on the expert Gold member quizzes, F***in Dragonquest, could never beat him, he was good, but it cost me financially that is to be part of it.. I ended up winning quite a few head to head combats, even written up once and bet on, 50% backing, but ended up losing in the final. But all is forgiven, partly. Cheers mate. You should go on and look at the quizzes i wrote, Academy Awards 1970- to about 1975, couple of cricket ones which I had to use you to clear Aussie Aces as they wouldn't allow me to write more, cricket was easy, and I know you wouldn't object that i used your name, plus got bored, plus wife thought i spent to much time etc, you know how it is. Don't let the other know. Hate each other is a good gimmick

Mate I had no idea you felt that way about Aussie Aces. If you felt I left you carrying the flag. . I am sorry. You seemed to go off in  your own direction after which I lost interest. Mick seemed like he was on another planet..  Now I know why you ignored my pleas to keep in touch when you were on hols. I was a little hurt about that. But I have thick skin.

FL is definitely a more lofty level than U19. Aussie cricket is going thru a difficult time but I have every confidence it will be back its former glory days. We have to accept that the other nations have played catch up.. and we no longer rule the roost. Plenty of soul searching to be had. 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 4 Jan 2019 9:07 PM
MikeR - 4 Jan 2019 8:36 PM

Mate I had no idea you felt that way about Aussie Aces. If you felt I left you carrying the flag. . I am sorry. You seemed to go off in  your own direction after which I lost interest. Mick seemed like he was on another planet..  Now I know why you ignored my pleas to keep in touch when you were on hols. I was a little hurt about that. But I have thick skin.

FL is definitely a more lofty level than U19. Aussie cricket is going thru a difficult time but I have every confidence it will be back its former glory days. We have to accept that the other nations have played catch up.. and we no longer rule the roost. Plenty of soul searching to be had. 

http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/Fastest-to-5000-runs-in-Cricket-384877.html

Take single page quiz it gives you time

Check this one out fastest to 5000 runs i wrote see how you do, you should enjoy the last question. Only 37 % got it right, talk about media bias.

It's a shame that no one take interest in this forum, I just wonder how Paddles would go in this quiz I wrote, there are a lot of hints that he should get, but I wonder if he would be honest? The answers are in the questions or in your case Baggers you know me, so answers for Australian questions should be obvious

I don't blame you Baggers, the others left well and truly before you. But unfortunately my obsessiveness would not allow me to give in, and to rank No 2 in the world, not that it was a big quota, i'll take that.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 4 Jan 2019 9:53 PM
baggygreenmania - 4 Jan 2019 9:07 PM

http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/Fastest-to-5000-runs-in-Cricket-384877.html

Take single page quiz it gives you time

Check this one out fastest to 5000 runs i wrote see how you do, you should enjoy the last question. Only 37 % got it right, talk about media bias.

It's a shame that no one take interest in this forum, I just wonder how Paddles would go in this quiz I wrote, there are a lot of hints that he should get, but I wonder if he would be honest? The answers are in the questions or in your case Baggers you know me, so answers for Australian questions should be obvious

I don't blame you Baggers, the others left well and truly before you. But unfortunately my obsessiveness would not allow me to give in, and to rank No 2 in the world, not that it was a big quota, i'll take that.

I answered this Mike but post has vanished. I played your quiz.. 8/10. Prob. should have got em all.

The U19 kids have given the Lankans 304 to chase. 
Edited
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I did the quiz and got 9/10, chose the wrong great English opening batsman.

While 1 day cricket is not as bad as the other fake cricket formats, runs in it are usually not worth anything, perhaps if a player builds a century that might be worth some consideration, and the bowling style required is different so bowling figures mean nothing for proper cricket. We need our young players playing longer games so they can develop a proper balanced game.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Test_Fan - 6 Jan 2019 8:08 AM
I did the quiz and got 9/10, chose the wrong great English opening batsman.

While 1 day cricket is not as bad as the other fake cricket formats, runs in it are usually not worth anything, perhaps if a player builds a century that might be worth some consideration, and the bowling style required is different so bowling figures mean nothing for proper cricket. We need our young players playing longer games so they can develop a proper balanced game.

Our boys scrape in to win the second match.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/scorecard/1170375/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-2nd-youth-odi-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

4for by Iain Carlisle. I am hearing some good things about this kid..
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 6 Jan 2019 10:26 AM
Test_Fan - 6 Jan 2019 8:08 AM

Our boys scrape in to win the second match.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/scorecard/1170375/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-2nd-youth-odi-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

Someone asked me about  18 year old Oliver Davies. Here he is scoring a ton for his Premier Cricket team earlier in the season at 17 yrs.. Very impressive.
https://manlycricket.com/ollie-davies-century/

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Our U19s have lost the final Youth ODI. 
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/scorecard/1170376/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-3rd-youth-odi-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

There is a familiar trend continuing in this game. All Aussie wickets fell to spin. Only Blues rookie keeper/batsman Baxter Holt looked to have an answer. This kid already has a FL century. Another brite prospect. The next match will be a three day Youth Test.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

3 day youth test, only worthwhile match on tour, should have had 2 of these matches and no one day matches.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Test_Fan - 8 Jan 2019 12:15 PM
3 day youth test, only worthwhile match on tour, should have had 2 of these matches and no one day matches.

You and I are on the same page. Pity CA is not.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 9:26 AM
Test_Fan - 8 Jan 2019 12:15 PM

You and I are on the same page. Pity CA is not.

Interested to see who  is picked for the Youth Test. 
There are currently no tour stats.
These are the  two squads. 
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/game/1170377/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-only-youth-test-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 10 Jan 2019 10:38 AM
baggygreenmania - 9 Jan 2019 9:26 AM

Interested to see who  is picked for the Youth Test. 
There are currently no tour stats.
These are the  two squads. 
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/game/1170377/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-only-youth-test-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

Solid contributions from Corey Hunter (71) and Baxter Holt (60) were the best Australia could muster against the strong spin attack of Sri Lanka. At stumps Aust. was 269/9dec with SL 0-20. Left arm spin wizz Sanjaya was the star with 5-94.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 11 Jan 2019 9:52 AM
baggygreenmania - 10 Jan 2019 10:38 AM

Solid contributions from Corey Hunter (71) and Baxter Holt (60) were the best Australia could muster against the strong spin attack of Sri Lanka. At stumps Aust. was 269/9dec with SL 0-20. Left arm spin wizz Sanjaya was the star with 5-94.

Doesn't surprise me the 1st innings results for Australia U19

Holt is a very good keeper and plays Futures currently

Corey Hunter has a big future and has already scored a century in the futures league. Probably the number 1 batsman picked in the side.

The two Tasmanians in Oates and Freeman supplied a few runs

Probably predictable performances by Fanning, Davies, Hearne as we were discussing prior when the team was selected a lot of "controversial selections" 

BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 11 Jan 2019 11:58 AM
baggygreenmania - 11 Jan 2019 9:52 AM

Doesn't surprise me the 1st innings results for Australia U19

Holt is a very good keeper and plays Futures currently

Corey Hunter has a big future and has already scored a century in the futures league. Probably the number 1 batsman picked in the side.

The two Tasmanians in Oates and Freeman supplied a few runs

Probably predictable performances by Fanning, Davies, Hearne as we were discussing prior when the team was selected a lot of "controversial selections" 

Where did this post go from yesterday?

I wrote that Davies was certainly not a controversial selection. He is the first batsman to hit a double ton in an U19 national match. Mike he looks equally adept at both red ball and white ball cricket. Take a squizz at this century for his Sydney club team. I specially like his nimble footwork against spin.
https://manlycricket.com/ollie-davies-century/I am not singing his praises because he hails from south of your border. But because he excites me and should excite every purist. Pucovski is another with both white and red ball skills. 

Australia is back in the battle after late wickets to have the Lankans at 287/7 at stumps with the one day left to play. Should be an intriguing finish to this Youth Test. ICC needs to sanction more of these games in international youth cricket.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/scorecard/1170377/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-only-youth-test-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 10:11 AM
MikeR - 11 Jan 2019 11:58 AM

Where did this post go from yesterday?

I wrote that Davies was certainly not a controversial selection. He is the first batsman to hit a double ton in an U19 national match. Mike he looks equally adept at both red ball and white ball cricket. Take a squizz at this century for his Sydney club team. I specially like his nimble footwork against spin.
https://manlycricket.com/ollie-davies-century/I am not singing his praises because he hails from south of your border. But because he excites me and should excite every purist. Pucovski is another with both white and red ball skills. 

Australia is back in the battle after late wickets to have the Lankans at 287/7 at stumps with the one day left to play. Should be an intriguing finish to this Youth Test. ICC needs to sanction more of these games in international youth cricket.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19089/scorecard/1170377/sri-lanka-under-19s-vs-australia-under-19s-only-youth-test-aus-u19-in-sri-lanka-2018-19

No offense Baggers, but do you think a 2nd grade Sydney comp game, where you have 26 clubs in the premier league, is something to take note of? Think of the quality of player he is playing against. It's not 1st grade there is over 300 players in that grade. Now if it was Qld where there are only 12 clubs, then 2nd grade may mean something, there would be less ahead of him playing 1st grade, but even that doesn't mean much IMO, 2nd grade, you field with a beer in hand.. When I look at Hunter and Holt, they're already playing Futures, they're not far off playing for their states, Holt IMO should be very close soon as Nevill, why continue with him, get young Holt in ASAP, preferably next year, or else he will be off to Perth, just like Gilchrist did. No, the results with the bat where probably what I expected from the U19 side. 

U19 selections are unpredictable, look at all the publicity Sangha gets, can't play a well directed bouncer, can't play any movement of the ball, but look at the media articles. But same team last year was Max Bryant, never hear a story about him, but who do you think will get a million dollars first, both have state contracts, but Bryant has IPL looking at him. IPL wouldn't even know the name Sangha. So should Bryant concentrate on T20, make his money that way, rather than wait for a lucrative CA contract. The attention does appear to be on Sangha and Edwards and in all probability only 1 will really make it. Now you seem to be addicted to classical batsmen and technique, and I don't know if you watch the T20, but against Andrew Tye, an Australian player, Bryant produce the most perfect off drives for 6 I've ever seen, and those that saw it will back me up. Even M Waugh was impressed. The day Sangha can produce that I'll start to believe he may have something. Head butting a ball doesn't impress me in the slightest.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 12 Jan 2019 3:21 PM
baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 10:11 AM

No offense Baggers, but do you think a 2nd grade Sydney comp game, where you have 26 clubs in the premier league, is something to take note of? Think of the quality of player he is playing against. It's not 1st grade there is over 300 players in that grade. Now if it was Qld where there are only 12 clubs, then 2nd grade may mean something, there would be less ahead of him playing 1st grade, but even that doesn't mean much IMO, 2nd grade, you field with a beer in hand.. When I look at Hunter and Holt, they're already playing Futures, they're not far off playing for their states, Holt IMO should be very close soon as Nevill, why continue with him, get young Holt in ASAP, preferably next year, or else he will be off to Perth, just like Gilchrist did. No, the results with the bat where probably what I expected from the U19 side. 

U19 selections are unpredictable, look at all the publicity Sangha gets, can't play a well directed bouncer, can't play any movement of the ball, but look at the media articles. But same team last year was Max Bryant, never hear a story about him, but who do you think will get a million dollars first, both have state contracts, but Bryant has IPL looking at him. IPL wouldn't even know the name Sangha. So should Bryant concentrate on T20, make his money that way, rather than wait for a lucrative CA contract. The attention does appear to be on Sangha and Edwards and in all probability only 1 will really make it. Now you seem to be addicted to classical batsmen and technique, and I don't know if you watch the T20, but against Andrew Tye, an Australian player, Bryant produce the most perfect off drives for 6 I've ever seen, and those that saw it will back me up. Even M Waugh was impressed. The day Sangha can produce that I'll start to believe he may have something. Head butting a ball doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Mike whether it is lower grade or not, we have a 17 yr old playing against some seasoned cricketers. You only have to see the way he plays each ball that he is a promising batsman. But of course he also hails from the Premier State so you do not and probably never will rate him. Bryant is a hitter so he should find his career in limited overs... as the man he clones..Aaron Finch has done.  Sangha will have a successful red ball career. Marcus Harris is 7 yrs older than Sangha and he too cant play a well directed bouncer. I have not seen sufficient of him to agree he has a consistent problem against the moving ball. If he is still having trouble in that department then I reiterate my statement that coaches are letting down our juniors by failing to teach them the fundamentals of playing the red ball. Sangha has plenty of time to refine his game. I have not made up mind on Edwards.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

This deck in Columbo may have turned into a dust bowl as our boys are clearly struggling against their spinners. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 7:42 PM
This deck in Columbo may have turned into a dust bowl as our boys are clearly struggling against their spinners. 

151 ao. Jarrod Freeman's 52* kept us in the battle.  112 runs needed by the Lankans.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 9:07 PM
baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 7:42 PM

151 ao. Jarrod Freeman's 52* kept us in the battle.  112 runs needed by the Lankans.

Sri Lanka won by 3 wickets. Interesting that the only bowler that performed was Victorian seamer Zac Evans taking 8/101 for the match. Iain Carlisle and 17 year old all rounder Josh Kann failed to impress but in Kann's defence it is a bit hard to do when only bowled for just 5 overs in the match and he will be around for another couple of years. Bit disappointed with Tasmanian Jarrod Freeman when conditions should have suited him, failed to come up with the goods. Controversial selection IMO was leggie Tanveer Sangha who also failed to impress. I wonder why Sutherland didn't play, he has sheffield shield experience.

They probably should have selected 17 year old Matthew Willans instead of Carlisle, at 205 cm tall he would have been a more imposing sight for the Sri Lankans, but he has the next 2 years at this level, whereas it will be Carlisle's last game in U19, final record for him 9 wickets in last 11 games in Australia U19 side, once again controversial selection IMO, with that sort of history why keep picking him.

The only signs of any future players IMO would be Holt, Hunter, Evans, and possibly Freeman but he has a long way to go.

Freeman's only Sheffield Shield game so far was playing at that batsmen's inflating average ground in Feb 2018 where he took 1/92 where NSW scored 8dec/450 and Tasmania replied with 4dec/490. So it is hard to judge the poor bloke currently.

Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

Zak Evans 6/44 almost defended a 112 by itself but where were the other bowlers? Although it seems like the Sri Lankans might have had to go the slog due to limited time and they found Evans was hard to slog. 

Freeman did okay in the first innings but seems like they slogged him successfully in the second innings. Bowling spin with a new ball is never the easiest thing to do.
Test_Fan
Test_Fan
Semi-Pro

And Sutherland has not played Sheffield Shield as far as I can tell.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 13 Jan 2019 5:43 AM
baggygreenmania - 12 Jan 2019 9:07 PM

Sri Lanka won by 3 wickets. Interesting that the only bowler that performed was Victorian seamer Zac Evans taking 8/101 for the match. Iain Carlisle and 17 year old all rounder Josh Kann failed to impress but in Kann's defence it is a bit hard to do when only bowled for just 5 overs in the match and he will be around for another couple of years. Bit disappointed with Tasmanian Jarrod Freeman when conditions should have suited him, failed to come up with the goods. Controversial selection IMO was leggie Tanveer Sangha who also failed to impress. I wonder why Sutherland didn't play, he has sheffield shield experience.

They probably should have selected 17 year old Matthew Willans instead of Carlisle, at 205 cm tall he would have been a more imposing sight for the Sri Lankans, but he has the next 2 years at this level, whereas it will be Carlisle's last game in U19, final record for him 9 wickets in last 11 games in Australia U19 side, once again controversial selection IMO, with that sort of history why keep picking him.

The only signs of any future players IMO would be Holt, Hunter, Evans, and possibly Freeman but he has a long way to go.

Freeman's only Sheffield Shield game so far was playing at that batsmen's inflating average ground in Feb 2018 where he took 1/92 where NSW scored 8dec/450 and Tasmania replied with 4dec/490. So it is hard to judge the poor bloke currently.

Must have been a reason why Kann (19 not 17- all rounder?) only bowled 5 overs in the match.  He came up short in the ODI s too. I woulda had Willans in for him.  Freeman looks to be a batting all rounder. Did not have the goods when needed. Sangha did not even get a bowl in the second innings. He has bowled above expectation considering we both called his initial selection lucky. You keep fudging on your Qlders. Willans is 18. Davies is about the youngest in the squad.  Annoyed there are no tour stats to call on?

Agree Mike Holt, Evans.. possibly Hunter and Davies. Both failed when most needed. I will reserve judgement on Freeman. He could well turn out to be, what is a rarity in Oz cricket.. a slow bowling all rounder. Jason Sangha also has promise in that dept.. What has happened to Arjun Nair? Some food there Mike to feed your bias.

The thing that stands out like a sore big toe is our lack of adeptness against red ball spin.. yet again. Seems to happen generation after generation. CA has to get cracking on this major problem. 
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2019 10:45 AM
MikeR - 13 Jan 2019 5:43 AM

Must have been a reason why Kann (19 not 17- all rounder?) only bowled 5 overs in the match.  He came up short in the ODI s too. I woulda had Willans in for him.  Freeman looks to be a batting all rounder. Did not have the goods when needed. Is only 18 so still a baby. Sangha did not even get a bowl in the second innings. He has bowled above expectation considering we both called his initial selection lucky.  Bugger where are the tour stats to call on?

Agree Mike Holt, Evans.. possibly Hunter and Davies. Both failed when most needed. I will reserve judgement on Freeman. He could well turn out to be, what is a rarity in Oz cricket.. a slow bowling all rounder. Jason Sangha also has promise in that dept.. What has happened to Arjun Nair?

The thing that stands out like a sore big toe is our lack of adeptness against red ball spin.. yet again. Seems to happen generation after generation. CA has to get cracking on this major problem. 

Nair was suspended following some sort of enquiry into his bowling action. His suspension is over but he has some sort of injury. We may not see much of him in the future.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 13 Jan 2019 11:15 AM
baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2019 10:45 AM

Nair was suspended following some sort of enquiry into his bowling action. His suspension is over but he has some sort of injury. We may not see much of him in the future.

Sangha was in fact the baby of the touring side at 17 & 48 days. Is a leggie like his big brother.

Why is that about Nair Mike? He remains a contracted Blue.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 13 Jan 2019 11:23 AM

Sangha was in fact the baby of the touring side at 17 & 48 days. Is a leggie like his big brother.

Nair was I believed reported for chucking, then tried to "cheat" in the testing of his action, which resulted in the suspension. So in other words he probably knew he was chucking and tried to hide it, the hierarchy aren't too happy about that, especially with the current going ons in the cheating world. He is getting support from Watson with regards to Sydney Thunder and I think he just signed for 2 years with them, but who knows what CA may say to NSW with regards to future contracts. Still no word to my knowledge if he has changed his action. Time will tell
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Have found some details on Nair. Was cleared of any bowling action deficiencies. Then had a lumbar stress injury that ruled him out of the  2018 ODD tournament.  He was expected to make his return for the Sydney Thunder this Dec. Anyone seen him playing BBL as I do not follow it all that much?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 13 Jan 2019 11:33 AM

Nair was I believed reported for chucking, then tried to "cheat" in the testing of his action, which resulted in the suspension. So in other words he probably knew he was chucking and tried to hide it, the hierarchy aren't too happy about that, especially with the current going ons in the cheating world. He is getting support from Watson with regards to Sydney Thunder and I think he just signed for 2 years with them, but who knows what CA may say to NSW with regards to future contracts. Still no word to my knowledge if he has changed his action. Time will tell

Apparently water under the bridge as CA selected him in last years Spin Camp at the NCC. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search