Players leading push to abolish A-League salary cap

Players leading push to abolish A-League salary cap

Author
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Eldar - 10 Mar 2019 3:54 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 3:51 PM

So what is your idea to increase revenue given that our TV revenue is likely to fall by about 50%

Advertise the league and market it more.
Make tickets cheaper. Some of the prices (especially Perth and City's) are outrageous.
Pick better time slots that suit the fans.
The clubs own their own IP's.
Clubs keep all ticket and merchandise profits.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

sub007 - 9 Mar 2019 10:50 PM
Because they want a payrise.

The clubs still want the cap and I'll think it will stay.

Are you saying players are under paid ?

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 3:31 PM
bluebird - 10 Mar 2019 3:19 PM

The best local players are still a lot better than the worst and clubs will still buy the league which will result in a sizeable increase in player wages which the poorer clubs won't be able to compete with.

Saying that clubs can't buy the league with the 3+1 rule is ridiculous and one of the dumbest things I've seen posted on here.

Thats more of a you problem for not being able to understand how internationally tried and tested methods work

The reason the Scotland scenario exists in Scotland is because the big 2 clubs can buy in international talent that the other teams cant afford. So they cant compete

A 3+1 rule means that whether a team succeeds or fails depends on using local talent. Its absolutely ridiculous to think there is a massive gap in our top players. We know that the best of the best will be over seas. And its reasonable to think the top 100 - 150 players are competitive. How else are we going to get to 16 clubs and / or a second division if there is only enough talent for 3 clubs?

Leagues like Japan and Korea dont have a salary cap. They have a 3+1 rule. Where are their 3 teams that can only win the league and nobody else?

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)World Class (9.6K reputation)

bluebird - 10 Mar 2019 5:01 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 3:31 PM

Thats more of a you problem for not being able to understand how internationally tried and tested methods work

The reason the Scotland scenario exists in Scotland is because the big 2 clubs can buy in international talent that the other teams cant afford. So they cant compete

A 3+1 rule means that whether a team succeeds or fails depends on using local talent. Its absolutely ridiculous to think there is a massive gap in our top players. We know that the best of the best will be over seas. And its reasonable to think the top 100 - 150 players are competitive. How else are we going to get to 16 clubs and / or a second division if there is only enough talent for 3 clubs?

Leagues like Japan and Korea dont have a salary cap. They have a 3+1 rule. Where are their 3 teams that can only win the league and nobody else?

China - Guangzhou won 7 league titles in a row before finishing 2nd last season. China has a salary cap and a wage cap for domestic players as of this season.
Korea- Jeonbuk have won 4 of the last 5 league titles. The only year they didn't win was because they got a points deduction.
The Japanese league is the only one that is competitive.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
sub007
sub007
World Class

RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:01 PM
sub007 - 9 Mar 2019 10:50 PM

Are you saying players are under paid ?

No but they will always want a payrise regardless. 

RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro
Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)Pro (4K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:06 PM
RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:01 PM

No but they will always want a payrise regardless. 

So do the owners just fold to players demands or do they look at what players they can fit in their budgets?

sub007
sub007
World Class

RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:08 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:06 PM

So do the owners just fold to players demands or do they look at what players they can fit in their budgets?

Depends on the owner. Either way the richest clubs will end up stockpiling most of the best domestic players because they can pay higher wages than the other clubs.
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:05 PM

China - Guangzhou won 7 league titles in a row before finishing 2nd last season. China has a salary cap and a wage cap for domestic players as of this season.

Probably has more to do with the Chinese Government wanting to control the flow of capital out of the country (in the form of excessive transfer fees and wages)than trying to equalise the competition.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:09 PM
RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:08 PM

Depends on the owner. Either way the richest clubs will end up stockpiling most of the best domestic players because they can pay higher wages than the other clubs.

Which clubs in the A-league would that be, they are all owned by multi-millionaires or billionaires, every one of them. 

walnuts
walnuts
Legend

walnuts - 10 Mar 2019 5:14 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:05 PM

Probably has more to do with the Chinese Government wanting to control the flow of capital out of the country (in the form of excessive transfer fees and wages)than trying to equalise the competition.

Just to clarify this, the Chinese tax office was upset about players using overseas bank accounts to receive their wages at one point - I'll try and find the media reports on it and post them in here.
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 4:55 PM
Burztur - 10 Mar 2019 4:22 PM

Sydney spent a few years in mediocrity. Victory have been successful because they're the best run club imo. CCM have struggled because they are poorly run and most of their employees who make the big decisions are incompetent. Didn't Perth struggled in the early years of the league due to issues off the pitch?

So you're saying that regardless of salary cap, cream still rises to the top? What's the point of the cap then? 
sub007
sub007
World Class

RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:15 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:09 PM

Which clubs in the A-league would that be, they are all owned by multi-millionaires or billionaires, every one of them. 

Victory, City, SFC.

Duh. Everyone knows they can spend more than the rest.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Burztur - 10 Mar 2019 5:16 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 4:55 PM

So you're saying that regardless of salary cap, cream still rises to the top? What's the point of the cap then? 

I never said that. I said the best run clubs will be at the top, not the club with the biggest wallet.

And by cream I assume you mean the richest clubs.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I'm strongly in favour of fucking off the pointless salary cap. I'm also strongly against increasing the number of foreigners, in fact if it was up to me I'd reduce it to 3 + 1 just like it is by the AFC. At least that way no club will be in a position where they have to leave one of their foreigners out.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:16 PM
RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 5:15 PM

Victory, City, SFC.

Duh. Everyone knows they can spend more than the rest.

WSW, Perth, MSW, Brisbane, MU

Beaten by Eldar

Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

robstazzz - 10 Mar 2019 5:35 PM
I'm strongly in favour of fucking off the pointless salary cap. I'm also strongly against increasing the number of foreigners, in fact if it was up to me I'd reduce it to 3 + 1 just like it is by the AFC. At least that way no club will be in a position where they have to leave one of their foreigners out.

The 3+1 rule is only in effect for the acl only.  Most leagues in Asia have different rules on imports though. 
sub007
sub007
World Class

Eldar - 10 Mar 2019 5:58 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 5:16 PM

WSW, Perth, MSW, Brisbane, MU

WSW - I think if there was no cap they wouldn't be able to match the three clubs I mentioned but could spend a bit.
Perth - Spend a little less than WSW
MSW and WU - we have no idea and won't know for a few years.
Brisbane - no chance.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 6:02 PM

WSW - I think if there was no cap they wouldn't be able to match the three clubs I mentioned but could spend a bit.
Brisbane - no chance.

If Brisbane was playing in a genuine market, with the entire state, that has the 2nd highest participation numbers, to themselves....they would be a powerhouse. You will probably end up with 3 or 4 more Queensland teams by way of a second division...but still.

And WSW are still potentially the biggest club in the league, for me.

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Brisbane - no chance.

WSW directors have spent $15m recently on construction of the first stage of their academy so I don't think they will be afraid to spend on players.  They might want to prioritise Stage 2 of their training facilities first though.  I think its another $10m or so.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Eldar - 10 Mar 2019 6:24 PM

If Brisbane was playing in a genuine market, with the entire state, that has the 2nd highest participation numbers, to themselves....they would be a powerhouse. You will probably end up with 3 or 4 more Queensland teams by way of a second division...but still.

Brisbane has been run on a shoestring budget over the last few years and have struggled to pay wages, struggled to pay for laundry, couldn't afford to play NPL games in North QLD and couldn't keep their numbers on their jerseys.

How could you possibly say that they could compete for silverware without a cap?
sub007
sub007
World Class

And WSW are still potentially the biggest club in the league, for me.

I don't even consider them to be a big club anymore.
RBBAnonymous
RBBAnonymous
Pro

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 6:30 PM

I don't even consider them to be a big club anymore.

They have the capacity just like every other club in the A-league to spend up big. Isnt Newcastle also owned by the Ledman group, WSW is owned by Lederer and the guy who owned Pirtek. It would still remain competitive in the A-league with the only difference being a better league with better players. You honestly can't say it would be dominated by 3-4 clubs and even if it was, so what.

sub007
sub007
World Class

RBBAnonymous - 10 Mar 2019 6:38 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 6:30 PM

They have the capacity just like every other club in the A-league to spend up big. Isnt Newcastle also owned by the Ledman group, WSW is owned by Lederer and the guy who owned Pirtek. It would still remain competitive in the A-league with the only difference being a better league with better players. You honestly can't say it would be dominated by 3-4 clubs and even if it was, so what.

Yes you can and I think the league will become un-competitive like most Asian non-capped leagues. (Japan being the exception)

Also Newy will be slashing their budget as Martin Lee has been hit very hard by Trump's tariffs. I'll try and find the article. Lee wanted to do it this season but McKinna persuaded him to hold off for a year.

Edit: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/trump-tariff-war-risks-shooting-down-newcastle-jets/news-story/401fb854e4ff0656e45028c381610aea
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 10 Mar 2019 5:58 PM
robstazzz - 10 Mar 2019 5:35 PM

The 3+1 rule is only in effect for the acl only.  Most leagues in Asia have different rules on imports though. 

Yeh I know that I'm just saying I would like to adopt that rule to our league so when clubs qualify for the ACL they won't need to cut anyone. 
I think 4 foreigners is enough with 1 being from Asia. 
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 4:53 PM
433 - 10 Mar 2019 3:47 PM

Chinese NT has 7 players from Guangzhou Evergrande with 6 more being called up in the last year. 
Beijing Gouan has 4. 
Shandong has 4.
Shanghai SIPG has 2. Had 3 before Wu Lei moved to Spain.

Half of the Chinese NT are from two clubs and 15 of 23 players are from 3 clubs.

I'd say that's a pretty good split. Sure, the top players tend to play for the top teams, but there is certainly some quality local players sprinkled throughout the rest of the league. The fact that over half the CSL is represented in the national team is encouraging and disproves the narrative that the big clubs will just buy up all local talent and leave the scraps for everyone. 

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

The point is that there are so many exemptions now that it is not a salary capped league. What we have now is something that doesn't fit any criteria.

1) Clubs can go broke by spending so much outside the cap it is ridiculous.  So it is not there for that.

2) The exemptions also mean that as an equalisation method. It doesn't work
3) Clubs that can afford to invest across the board like Victory so that they can compete against the big Asian clubs in the ACL can't invest across the squad the way they could if it wasn't there.

If you want a salary capped league have one - otherwise get rid of the cap all together. At the moment we are in the worst of positions. 

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 6:29 PM

Brisbane has been run on a shoestring budget over the last few years and have struggled to pay wages, struggled to pay for laundry, couldn't afford to play NPL games in North QLD and couldn't keep their numbers on their jerseys.

How could you possibly say that they could compete for silverware without a cap?

Yeah, because you are reacting to clubs as they are in this backwards growth model...WSW are the same size as CCM.

Just answer me this honestly, what would be the effect on the EPL if you introduced a $3million salary cap? Would revenue, crowds and interest increase, decrease or stay the same?

Beaten by Eldar

Edited
5 Years Ago by Eldar
sub007
sub007
World Class

433 - 10 Mar 2019 7:17 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 4:53 PM

I'd say that's a pretty good split. Sure, the top players tend to play for the top teams, but there is certainly some quality local players sprinkled throughout the rest of the league. The fact that over half the CSL is represented in the national team is encouraging and disproves the narrative that the big clubs will just buy up all local talent and leave the scraps for everyone. 

I think it proves it. 15 out of 23 at 3 clubs show that these club have an obvios monopoly on tf the talent.

The fact that only 1 out of 23 play outside of China obviously shows that Chinese players are ridiculously overpaid.
sub007
sub007
World Class

Eldar - 10 Mar 2019 7:26 PM
sub007 - 10 Mar 2019 6:29 PM

Yeah, because you are reacting to clubs as they are in this backwards growth model...WSW are the same size as CCM.

No, I don’t think they are the same size as CCM. They just aren’t a big club anymore.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Just answer me this honestly, what would be the effect on the EPL if you introduced a $3million salary cap? Would revenue, crowds and interest increase, decrease or stay the same?

Beaten by Eldar

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search