Afl media

Afl media

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I don’t mind the afl I do follow it and this isn’t a hate post I’m just curious how people the constant mention of afl by the radio, Social media posts coworkers ect 
localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

It's been like this all our lives so we are used to it. We have to just block it out.

The other day I saw a promo on TV for the AFLW, featuring somebody that I'd never heard of who is apparently an "AFLW Superstar"

Don't you have to do something special to get called a superstar?
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Let me put it this way with AFL

I love the sport, but I hate the organisation.

Then again, I have the same feeling when I play or watch FFA
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

NicCarBel - 22 Mar 2019 7:42 PM

I love footy but the afl organization has lost me . So paranoid about every other sport.  They dont realise their players actually love other sports as well 
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Mar 2019 9:08 AM

I love footy but the afl organization has lost me . So paranoid about every other sport.  They dont realise their players actually love other sports as well 

Please can we go spit apple in their faces?
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

I still remember  when the nbl was shitting  all over the AFL. The afl made sure the nbl got buried but to be fair the nbl also imploded at the same time 
aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Pretty much same for me.
20 year member for my club and still play myself with close mates but i hate the way the media fanboys the game.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

The glory of living north of mexico.
Obviously years ago it wasn't even mentioned, Bliss.
Still is in a way, sure Swans got a lot of media push from down there developing and whatever the western club name is escapes me but very happy still it isn't that strong imo here.
Maybe I'm oblivious of it, I don't give it any of my time for I just don't see whats so good about it.
Much like NFL, a 4qrtr game, takes too long and so over rated but obviously those invested will say otherwise.
So no problem up north Melbcityguy - all I see is Melb puffing its cheat out with much insecurity in the future.
Great business but nothing lasts forever.

Love Football

localstar
localstar
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Amazing that there are soccer fans in Melbourne who claim that they are still passionate about an AFL club. This is one of the reasons why that silly egg ball game won't fade away.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

localstar - 24 Mar 2019 3:11 PM
Amazing that there are soccer fans in Melbourne who claim that they are still passionate about an AFL club. This is one of the reasons why that silly egg ball game won't fade away.

I'm an essendon fan. I love the club but I hate the afl organisation.  Like most afl fans we are sick of afl hq.  Just like how aleague clubs fans are sick of the ffa
localstar
localstar
Pro

None of the soccer fans I know in Adelaide give a toss about any AFL club. Why should they? Melbourne is just downright weird.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Mar 2019 10:10 AM
I still remember  when the nbl was shitting  all over the AFL. The afl made sure the nbl got buried but to be fair the nbl also imploded at the same time 

what were nbl doing against the afl? 
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

Melbcityguy - 25 Mar 2019 10:13 AM
MvFCArsenal16.8 - 23 Mar 2019 10:10 AM

what were nbl doing against the afl? 

Nothing. Nbl were just popular . 
mouflonrouge
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

One of the great things about Brisbane.

No AFL in the streets or the media. BLISS!

One of the few good things Queensland has going for it.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

footy show is dying 
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 4 Apr 2019 10:12 AM
footy show is dying 

the whole game is dying, we just  have to bide our time

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

bettega - 7 Jun 2019 2:02 PM
Melbcityguy - 4 Apr 2019 10:12 AM

the whole game is dying, we just  have to bide our time

how is it dying? 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

mouflonrouge - 31 Mar 2019 1:34 PM
One of the great things about Brisbane.

No AFL in the streets or the media. BLISS!

One of the few good things Queensland has going for it.

haha, Qld has lot to offer imo and thats coming from a NSWelshmen and so does Melb BUT I couldn't live down there one bit due to its coverage of afl etcetc......
Sydney olnly started due to those pesky swans - thankfully its not like it used to be and its coverage in our papers/media is nothing compared to down south - it makes me puke, sorry you devotees but you've HAD to grow up with it.
You know that aussie vernacular its a mans game blahblah like the rugby die hards.
It won't die but one day, when our Football governance can get their act together better with all and sundry and importantly grab better deals for more dollars it will sooner or later eat into afl.
What else you southerns need is that NSW/Qld hang onto the beloved NRL together for at least that keeps afl numbers down no matter how much they pour into the bucket.
I wish.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
Carlito
Carlito
Legend

LFC. - 7 Jun 2019 2:28 PM
mouflonrouge - 31 Mar 2019 1:34 PM

haha, Qld has lot to offer imo and thats coming from a NSWelshmen and so does Melb BUT I couldn't live down there one bit due to its coverage of afl etcetc......
Sydney olnly started due to those pesky swans - thankfully its not like it used to be and its coverage in our papers/media is nothing compared to down south - it makes me puke, sorry you devotees but you've HAD to grow up with it.
You know that aussie vernacular its a mans game blahblah like the rugby die hards.
It won't die but one day, when our Football governance can get their act together better with all and sundry and importantly grab better deals for more dollars it will sooner or later eat into afl.
What else you southerns need is that NSW/Qld hang onto the beloved NRL together for at least that keeps afl numbers down no matter how much they pour into the bucket.
I wish.

The afl media is basically year round. Even when it's off season and the cricket. Hal, Basketball and tennis are on. Sen , ,the mainstream news and papers all speak about afl. When the clubs come back. Who's training. Who's injured. What club is going to draft which player. And then theres interviews with retired players 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 7 Jun 2019 4:31 PM
LFC. - 7 Jun 2019 2:28 PM

The afl media is basically year round. Even when it's off season and the cricket. Hal, Basketball and tennis are on. Sen , ,the mainstream news and papers all speak about afl. When the clubs come back. Who's training. Who's injured. What club is going to draft which player. And then theres interviews with retired players 

I was listening to gold on the radio this morning they had Shane Crawford (Ex player) who just took over the show in the end and promoted the matches for the weekend. They also have other ex players on other stations that’s how they get the attention on them 24/7
scubaroo
scubaroo
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Listened this morning,  afl ceo talking about all the goodes stuff. Back on the agenda because of some doco. Anyhow their PR is fantastic when all the goodes drama was going on the same ceo said there wasn't an issue and supporters weren't racist and everyone moved on. 

NOW it's back and the afl are saying, that they now believe they were wrong and so now they are pushing the anti racism thing when its not actually happening as such. Like they are at the forefront of anti racism, but when it was happening it wasn't racist. 

Just a fantastic way of turning the tables and playing the media game perfectly,  when they look bad,  distance themselves and say it's not happening,  when its all good being it up as if they are social leaders. 

They've got the game. 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown says the AFL is treated like “second-class citizens” in the northern states as the ugly stand-off between multiple parties over a possible SCG drop-in wicket continues.
The SCG Trust, prompted by a request from the AFL, has formed a committee to assess the merits of switching to drop-in pitches at a venue which has hosted Test cricket since 1882.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan fired off a strongly-worded letter to the Trust earlier this year, having taken up the fight for drop-ins on behalf of SCG tenants Sydney Swans.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial 
But Cricket Australia (CA) boss Kevin Roberts made it clear last week he “unconditionally supports” Cricket NSW’s opposition to drop-in wickets at the SCG, adding that ripping up “arguably the most unique pitch in world cricket” wouldn’t be in the interests of Australian sports fans or SCG members.

SCG sparks code warsSCG sparks code wars1:06
speaking on Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Brown said the attitude of both cricket organisations was typical of how the AFL is viewed in New South Wales and Queensland.

“Look at all the empty stands when the cricket’s on and the packed stands when the footy’s on,” Brown told On The Couch with tongue somewhat planted in cheek.

Test cricket has been played at the SCG since 1882. Picture: Brett Costello
Source: News Corp Australia

“AFL is second-class citizens north of the border. That’s what it comes back to — it’s as simple as that.

“If it was rugby league that was the only winter code sport played on the SCG, I guarantee you there’d be a drop-in wicket.”

A change to a drop-in wicket would require an overhaul of the iconic ground, allowing a bigger entrance for drop-in wickets to be trucked in. However, it’s only a matter of time before the Trust lobbies for government funds to upgrade the Brewongle-Churchill stands and the drop-in switch could form part of that proposal.

The Trust would also have to find somewhere to grow the drop-in pitches in a packed precinct that has come to define Sydney’s increasingly heated code war.

Josh Kennedy’s Sydney plays home games at the SCG. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Source: News Corp Australia
Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy, who played 81 games for the Swans from 1986 to 1990, described it as a “shallow debate” so far.

“The best reason so far that I’ve read against the change is that it’s called ‘a cricket ground’. Well, how convincing is that,” Healy told On The Couch.

“The Adelaide wicket has already proven that new technology in drop-in wickets can provide an even better surface than the old, so it should not be feared.

“Surely major venues have an obligation to be as multi-purposed as possible, surely all major venues are obligated to provide the safest possible playing field, which from personal experience the hardened centre wicket is not.

“Surely we need a more sophisticated debate than what we’ve already had.”
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

I was flicking through the Roar this morning and had a quick flick through a new article on the domination of Richmond.  What caught my eye is how much they have grown the past decade, if we can believe these numbers, they are impressive:

Debt$4.5 millionNone
FacilitiesOutdated, sub-standard surface at Punt Road OvalState of the art
Indigenous community involvementNoneKoran Gamadji Institute
Indigenous players17
Members37,000103,360
Finals appearancesNone since 20012013-15, 2017-19
PremiershipsNone since 19802017, 2019

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search