Australia V Pakistan

Australia V Pakistan

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Decentric - 13 Jun 2019 7:47 AM
grazorblade - 13 Jun 2019 6:05 AM

I’m assuming we lost? 

I’ve just got up. 

I think you are right about back up bowlers and Cummins is effective with the old ball anyway. 

no we won haha I meant the india game was when starc and cummins didn't fire
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Decentric - 13 Jun 2019 7:51 AM
grazorblade - 13 Jun 2019 3:02 AM

We also dropped Zampa and did not select Lyon. 

Just before I went to bed Richardson got movement from the pitch and was unlucky not to take wickets. 

Gday Dc,
jaszyjim - Well an interesting match, at least we tried something different.
The match showed up our fragility against good bowlers. From the top;
Finch - a good score but very lucky. Never looked settled, no foot movement,
a day when luck went his way.
Warner -  Finally showing his class & why he is so important to this side.
Smith - uncharacteristic shot, his head & body not to the ball, hence weight on back foot
resulting in a lolly pop.
Maxwell - given his chance early, no real pressure, no foot movement = out.
Marsh - never looked settled, slow to get to the ball = out
Khawaja - same as Marsh.
Carey - Not a big score but in the middle order only Marsh @ 23 was higher.
Coulter Nile - Disappointing & the rest the same.

Conclusions:-
The main point in this world cup is consistency. Too often we hear the excuse that so & so is having
an off day. It's the world cup & an off day can cost you a match. These guys are paid
extremely well not to have an off day = not an excuse. If you want an off day, then go home. 

Finch & Warner stay as 1 & 2, given the understanding that Finch will be suspect with top bowlers.
Smith stays at 3.
Now we get interesting - Marsh & Khawaja playing together, what a chance to compare.
Both got a start & both failed = 4th spot a ? - due to lack of batsmen to select from
in the squad, probably Marsh
5th spot - Maxwell to me, as I said from the start should be dropped.
Batting = no foot movement, bowling not good enough and will be picked off in both by good teams.
If we use him as our yard stick as to who is included = no one better & he is included,
we loose against good teams.
If dropped will probable be replaced by Khawaja - no one else over there.
6th should be a good an allrounder, Stoinis being injured was our best, but we don't have one.
Carey should bat 6.
7 - Coulter Nile, unimpressive with both ball & bat = drop him & replace with M. Marsh.
At least he can't do any worse & may provide a spark.
8 to 11 = bowlers;
Cummins & Starc the only ones performing, although if Starc has an off day like he did against India,
then he is a liability. Inaccurate at his pace = lots of runs.
Richardson got wickets but not impressive.
Why Finch bowled himself, despite getting a wicket, in lieu of Smith I will never know.
Was not impressed with Finch's captaincy at all in this match. Is he feeling the pressure from
Smith looming over his shoulder?
Lyon should be included at 11.
Should Behrendorff replace Richardson? 
That's my lot

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
jaszyjim - 13 Jun 2019 11:53 AM

Gday Dc,
Smith - uncharacteristic shot, his head & body not to the ball, hence weight on back foot
Khawaja - same as Marsh.

Conclusions:-
The main point in this world cup is consistency. Too often we hear the excuse that so & so is having
an off day. It's the world cup & an off day can cost you a match. These guys are paid
extremely well not to have an off day = not an excuse. If you want an off day, then go home. 

Finch & Warner stay as 1 & 2, given the understanding that Finch will be suspect with top bowlers.
Smith stays at 3.
Now we get interesting - Marsh & Khawaja playing together, what a chance to compare.
Both got a start & both failed = 4th spot a ? - due to lack of batsmen to select from
in the squad, probably Marsh
5th spot - Maxwell to me, as I said from the start should be dropped.
Batting = no foot movement, bowling not good enough and will be picked off in both by good teams.
If we use him as our yard stick as to who is included = no one better & he is included,
we loose against good teams.
If dropped will probable be replaced by Khawaja - no one else over there.
6th should be a good an allrounder, Stoinis being injured was our best, but we don't have one.
Carey should bat 6.
7 - Coulter Nile, unimpressive with both ball & bat = drop him & replace with M. Marsh.
At least he can't do any worse & may provide a spark.
8 to 11 = bowlers;
Cummins & Starc the only ones performing, although if Starc has an off day like he did against India,
then he is a liability. Inaccurate at his pace = lots of runs.
Richardson got wickets but not impressive.
Why Finch bowled himself, despite getting a wicket, in lieu of Smith I will never know.
Was not impressed with Finch's captaincy at all in this match. Is he feeling the pressure from
Smith looming over his shoulder?
Lyon should be included at 11.
Should Behrendorff replace Richardson? 
That's my lot

Good round  up, JJ.

Ae you still in a remote location?
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Gday Dc,
Khawaja - same as Marsh.

Good insights into technique, JJ.
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)Hardcore Fan (224 reputation)

Decentric - 13 Jun 2019 12:14 PM

Good round  up, JJ.

Ae you still in a remote location?

No unfortunately,
Stubbed my big toe the day before we left - went bad & had to come
back to get treated. Such is life.
Camped on the beach, we had satellite TV connected to Vast & a 5m Telstra aerial up,
so had both free to air TV, internet & mobile phone. Not a bad life & hard to leave.
Regards jj

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

its pretty odd to me to advocate dropping maxwell when we have a weakness when it comes to accelerating and chasing those big 350+ scores. We are already majorly unbalanced toward the accumulators as it is.

If it was the 1999 world cup fair enough but maxwell keeps us in the game when our bowlers have an off day
jaszyjim
jaszyjim
Hardcore Fan

grazorblade - 13 Jun 2019 1:06 PM
its pretty odd to me to advocate dropping maxwell when we have a weakness when it comes to accelerating and chasing those big 350+ scores. We are already majorly unbalanced toward the accumulators as it is.

If it was the 1999 world cup fair enough but maxwell keeps us in the game when our bowlers have an off day

Gday gb,
jaszyjim - I keep hearing that but what has he done - starts but that's it.
He may hit big scores against so, so sides but he definitely isn't doing it here.
He has no footwork & the better bowlers know that, bowl so he has to move his feet,
his positioning becomes wrong & he holes out.
Bowling wise he isn't good enough. Classed as a batting allrounder, too inconsistent, time to go.
The one thing I do agree with, is the the selectors got the squad wrong - nothing to choose from
for batters.
With Stoinis out, a choice between Marsh or Khawaja, Maxwell & Coulter Nile not performing, the tail turning to jelly,
it's not a good sight.
To be brutally honest, Marsh, Khawaja, Maxwell, Coulter Nile, Patterson & Zampa should all be sent home & replaced
with players who can do the job. As I haven't been able to follow who is performing I will leave the choice to others.
I always suggest Agar as spin allrounder, usually to much controversy.

grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

some of his best innings have been against decent sides

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerOpponents_ODI.asp?PlayerID=3969

I think Australia's conservatism has them really behind the best teams. Hopefully their bowling can pull off a miracle in the knockouts though
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search