Countdown To the Ashes.

Countdown To the Ashes.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RedKat - 22 Jul 2019 2:56 PM
In the same way Maxwell has unfairly not been given an opportunity in the warmup game due to one day form, Carey has been overhyped due to one day form. Carey has an average of 29 with the bat in FC and only 2 FC hundreds. Im really surprised hes being spoken about. With a squad of 16 rather than 17 set to be announced, Wade make more sense as someone who can bat (FC of 40) and take the gloves if Paine is injured

Carey has been seen as another CA project player.. chosen more on potential rather than performance with the bat on the back of breaking the Shield keeping record a coupla years back. I for one feel he has both talent with the gloves and bat. Yes he is being spoken of thru his white ball deeds but I see little between his scoring white ball and red ball runs. He plays according to the game situation. He and Smith dug the Aussies out of the muck in the semi.. could have been a Test match with the patience and application they displayed. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Anyone heard if Nine is covering this?
Edited
Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 1:12 PM
Anyone heard if Nine is covering this?

Yep, it'll be either on Nine or one of their backup channels live. 

Lastbroadcast
Lastbroadcast
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

It'll be interesting to see who England go with. Archer surely has to play after his world cup performances. Anderson won't be fit for game 1. 

I have a feeling England might give Jason Roy a go in the openers spot.Their top order has been very shaky. There's been talk of putting Joe Root up to number three to steady things. 

As for my XI: 

I know Joe Burns has had some fitness troubles but he was in top form throughout last summer. I'd go with him ahead of Harris, who I believe is still a bit vulnerable outside off. 

I don't know why people are calling for Carey. He is not ready to bat ahead of Tim Paine in test cricket. He had a bumper world cup but his first class average is very ordinary. I hope after the Finch experiment that we don't make the mistake of picking guys in red ball cricket on white ball form. 

My XI:

Burns
Warner
Khawaja (if fit)
Smith
Patterson
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

For backup players I'd have: 

Wade
Labuschagne
Harris
Siddle
James Pattinson/Jackson Bird

Important to note- Labuschagne has been top of the runs list in division two this year, and has also taken 19 wickets. 

Siddle has taken 34 wickets in county div 1, so he should be in the squad. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Lastbroadcast - 23 Jul 2019 7:46 PM
It'll be interesting to see who England go with. Archer surely has to play after his world cup performances. Anderson won't be fit for game 1. 

I have a feeling England might give Jason Roy a go in the openers spot.Their top order has been very shaky. There's been talk of putting Joe Root up to number three to steady things. 

As for my XI: 

I know Joe Burns has had some fitness troubles but he was in top form throughout last summer. I'd go with him ahead of Harris, who I believe is still a bit vulnerable outside off. 

I don't know why people are calling for Carey. He is not ready to bat ahead of Tim Paine in test cricket. He had a bumper world cup but his first class average is very ordinary. I hope after the Finch experiment that we don't make the mistake of picking guys in red ball cricket on white ball form. 

My XI:

Burns
Warner
Khawaja (if fit)
Smith
Patterson
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

For backup players I'd have: 

Wade
Labuschagne
Harris
Siddle
James Pattinson/Jackson Bird

Important to note- Labuschagne has been top of the runs list in division two this year, and has also taken 19 wickets. 

Lastbroadcast - 23 Jul 2019 7:34 PM

You certain about the coverage.   Nine or Gem are not covering it. What are their other backup channels?
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 8:03 PM

You certain about the coverage.   Nine or Gem are not covering it. What are their other backup channels?

Slugger Warner goes cheaply.  Is Wade keeping for the Hick12? No..his catch was at extra cover..
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

I hope after the Finch experiment that we don't make the mistake of picking guys in red ball cricket on white ball form. 
They always do. Like they expect blokes to slot seamlessly into red ball cricket after months of white ball. Smith and Warner have evidently not played red ball cricket for 18 months.. not even Sydney Premier Cricket.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 8:35 PM
I hope after the Finch experiment that we don't make the mistake of picking guys in red ball cricket on white ball form. 
They always do. Like they expect blokes to slot seamlessly into red ball cricket after months of white ball. Smith and Warner have evidently not played red ball cricket for 18 months.

Is Neser a dark horse? Has both wickets to fall.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Where is DC and the other boys?
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Incumbents in diabolical strife. Patterson also gone. The bloke I said did not have the temperament to bat #3 is holding his side together.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 9:33 PM
Incumbents in diabolical strife. Patterson also gone. The bloke I said did not have the temperament to bat #3 is holding his side together.

Complete carnage by the fringe bowlers. Lunch 5-64.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 8:41 PM
Where is DC and the other boys?

Here.

Busy yesterday.

The  game between the two Aus teams is throwing up some unexpected performances.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 8:37 PM
baggygreenmania - 23 Jul 2019 8:35 PM

Neser bowled well at Bellerive last season, but his action takes a lot out of him.

I'm not sure about his stamina?

I still think Copeland should be in England too.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Disregard my PM, L!

Missed these posts!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Labu has claims.

Siddle - is he too old and not a long term option ? 
Keyboard Warrior
Keyboard Warrior
Rising Star
Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)Rising Star (897 reputation)

I read somewhere Jofra Archer hasn't played a FC game since last September.

Does he have the stamina for Test cricket? 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 24 Jul 2019 8:55 AM

Labu has claims.

Siddle - is he too old and not a long term option ? 

Good point. I see Siddle as a horses for courses selection. He has a decent county record on seaming decks and has also performed in previous English Ashes. Wud not surprise me if they went with both he and Hazlewood  if the decks remain seamers.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 9:56 AM

Good point. I see Siddle as a horses for courses selection. He has a decent county record on seaming decks and has also performed in previous English Ashes. Wud not surprise me if they went with both he and Hazlewood  if the decks remain seamers.

Labu has claims.
He now has big claims. Faced 81 balls top scored while wickets tumbled around him. Also coming off 1100 county runs.

Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 9:58 AM

Labu has claims.
He now has big claims. Faced 81 balls top scored while wickets tumbled around him. Also coming off 1100 county runs.

I posted this before I realised he was bowling on a green monster.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 10:55 AM

A truer word you've never written Baggers. So explain how Starc and Hazlewood couldn't take wicket with the new ball on this green monster? Are Burns and Bancraft that good? And if so shouldn't they be opening. Lasted 15 overs till Cummins and Siddle started to weave their magic on this green monster. I think you'll admit now Hazlewood should go home, obviously his problem back is not right. With Hazlewood and Starc experience, nearly 100 tests between them, they should be ripping this "reserve" side with the exception of Smith apart. After 15 overs Neser and Bird had the Australian batting line up 4/29. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Fifth bowling spot is out of Neser, Siddle and Bird. Siddle is the freshest with the Dukes. Neser offers plenty with the bat. Out of those two for mine.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

I've never seen Neser bat, but have liked his bowling.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 12:08 PM

Fifth bowling spot is out of Neser, Siddle and Bird. Siddle is the freshest with the Dukes. Neser offers plenty with the bat. Out of those two for mine.

I dont want Starc in the top three of our attack. I 'd have any of those three before him.

Edited
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Starc needs a rest for mine

Should have rested this match

I'd go Pattinson neser Cummins lyon
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

grazorblade - 24 Jul 2019 2:07 PM
Starc needs a rest for mine

Should have rested this match

I'd go Pattinson neser Cummins lyon

Ignore above numbers. I attempted to post Hazlewood's figures.
10-4-1/20. I suspect CA will be satisfied with those.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 2:45 PM
grazorblade - 24 Jul 2019 2:07 PM

Ignore above numbers. I attempted to post Hazlewood's figures.
10-4-1/20. I suspect CA will be satisfied with those.

Pommies are copping a hiding at the hands of the Irish. 7-43 after 15 overs.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 9:26 PM
baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 2:45 PM

Pommies are copping a hiding at the hands of the Irish. 7-43 after 15 overs.

Are you watching it, Baggers? 

A houseful of jubilant and inebriated Paddies have just left my place. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 24 Jul 2019 11:38 PM
baggygreenmania - 24 Jul 2019 9:26 PM

Are you watching it, Baggers? 

A houseful of jubilant and inebriated Paddies have just left my place. 

Who is showing it?
Edited
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 25 Jul 2019 11:17 AM
Decentric - 24 Jul 2019 11:38 PM

Who is showing it?

Station 501 or Fox 1.

I would not have been as aware as I am, but have Irish friends who are too tight to buy a Fox subscription!

They asked if they could watched it out our place last night, and my better half invited them back tonight after too many drinks!

It is well worth some viewing tonight, Baggers.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Decentric - 25 Jul 2019 4:55 PM
baggygreenmania - 25 Jul 2019 11:17 AM

Station 501 or Fox 1.

I would not have been as aware as I am, but have Irish friends who are too tight to buy a Fox subscription!

They asked if they could watched it out our place last night, and my better half invited them back tonight after too many drinks!

It is well worth some viewing tonight, Baggers.

Yep. I am watching it now DC. The pitch not as green as yesterday. Expect England to get plenty of runs.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search