Unique stadium for Western United

Unique stadium for Western United

Author
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
It's already been announced that the stadium will be 15-16k, with the ability to expand an extra 4k in the future. Aleague crowd averaged are about 12k. This sounds perfectly reasonable for a cities third club. Could maybe start off at 18k to limit future need for expansion, but realistically they'll only get those crowds for games against Victory. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by kaufusi
Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

BankWest cost 350m for 30k seats.

I think the WU stadium size of around 16k with a 4k option is perfect. Not sure why people are complaining about the lack of growth.
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

bluebird - 20 Jul 2019 2:43 PM
And yes, I did think less than 30k was a joke. The opportunity was to build a 40k or 50k seater stadium so we had a world class rectangular venue for our biggest games. Instead we have to use Marvel (which is now AFL owned) or the MCG because people were too concerned with how our smaller games might look on TV. And most fans still prefer Marvel due to the excellent transport system for regional fans

I dont have a problem with teams using smaller venues to avoid large rental fees. But to build a stadium and then cap it at 15k is stupid. They will be the only professional team playing there and only 11 games a year. Fans can expect to pick up the bill

Just to clarify, Victory wanted AAMI Park to have a 40k capacity. Melbourne Storm wanted it at 20k. But at the time it was built the then owners of Marvel Stadium had a contract in place that meant there was not to be no new stadium built in Melbourne over the capacity of 30k. So 30k was the only realistic capacity we could have obtained at the time. 

I'm not sure if this contract is still in place... But once it runs out, I'd like to see the north and south ends at AAMI Park turned into safe standing which would add a few more thousand to the capacity. And leave Marvel altogether. I reckon that will do us for the next 20 years. And hopefully by that time, we would have got around to building our own stadium.

However, i do agree with your point about Tarneit Stadium. 15k is too small for mine. They should have aimed higher. 18k with room to increase to 25k should have been their objective. They need to dream bigger. 

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Feed_The_Brox - 22 Jul 2019 11:24 AM
bluebird - 20 Jul 2019 2:43 PM

Just to clarify, Victory wanted AAMI Park to have a 40k capacity. Melbourne Storm wanted it at 20k. But at the time it was built the then owners of Marvel Stadium had a contract in place that meant there was not to be no new stadium built in Melbourne over the capacity of 30k. So 30k was the only realistic capacity we could have obtained at the time. 

I'm not sure if this contract is still in place... But once it runs out, I'd like to see the north and south ends at AAMI Park turned into safe standing which would add a few more thousand to the capacity. And leave Marvel altogether. I reckon that will do us for the next 20 years. And hopefully by that time, we would have got around to building our own stadium.

However, i do agree with your point about Tarneit Stadium. 15k is too small for mine. They should have aimed higher. 18k with room to increase to 25k should have been their objective. They need to dream bigger. 

No, they have already predicted they are going to get small crowds so 15k stadium is good enough and with small crowds of 4-5k it will look and sound good on TV.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

nomates - 22 Jul 2019 11:57 AM
and with small crowds of 4-5k it will look and sound good on TV.

geez you post shit. 4-5k? they will get better crowds than City within 3 years. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

nomates - 22 Jul 2019 11:57 AM
Feed_The_Brox - 22 Jul 2019 11:24 AM

No, they have already predicted they are going to get small crowds so 15k stadium is good enough and with small crowds of 4-5k it will look and sound good on TV.

This is not Wellington Phoenix.

Small crowd in Melbourne or Australia is 8,000 - 10,000

In a resort somewhere

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search