Dale Steyn retires from Test cricket

Dale Steyn retires from Test cricket

Author
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hes been constantly injured recently but retires as, in my opinion, the greatest fast bowler of this generation. Would have him ahead of McGrath (just) and Anderson. A strike rate of 44 in test cricket is just amazing

ARNIE= LEGEND

Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

RedKat - 6 Aug 2019 11:33 AM
Hes been constantly injured recently but retires as, in my opinion, the greatest fast bowler of this generation. Would have him ahead of McGrath (just) and Anderson. A strike rate of 44 in test cricket is just amazing

Yeah best of the last 15 years - though Vern Philander arguably has the better numbers. And Rabada is the pack leader for years now, out performing Steyn. But lets see what Rabada and Abbas provide moving forward. Plus Indian fans have big things expected of Bumrah. Aus fans like Cummins' claims. The current generation of fast bowlers is far far far more competitive, whereas Steyn only had Zaheer and Jimmy Anderson to compete with until Big Vern came along (Ryan Harris robbed by injury). 

SA have lost to county cricket, de Lange, Parnell, superstars Abbot, MMorkel and Olivier, and still have Rabada, Ngidi, Philander and Nortje was the reserve!

Amazing production line. Sad to see Steyn go, I don't think he makes the ODI team tbh. He's not better than Rabada or Ngidi at white ball. Nortje is the future for the next World Cup. I'd just retire Steyn from all intls. He's not needed and not good for the team moving forward.

I don't think SA will miss him. They miss ABDV more. They're not able to replace class batsmen like Smith, Kallis and ABdV - with only Markram having come through the system in this time. Amla looks done, more and more, every day in every format. And Faf isn't getting younger. The SA bowling unit will remain one of the best they ever had without Steyn, esp with Maharaj, but their batting is becoming a sad joke.

This shows how little Steyn will be missed from the test team:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=bowling_average;spanmin1=01+Jan+2017;spanval1=span;team=3;template=results;type=allround

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

A strike rate of 44 is amazing, but he may have more helpful pitches in SA than most.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Decentric - 8 Aug 2019 3:40 PM

A strike rate of 44 is amazing, but he may have more helpful pitches in SA than most.

His SR in SA is 40. Its 43.8 away :P  His overall strike rate is 42.3 - and he got awful results in his final years of outings when fit.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/47492.html?class=1;template=results;type=bowling

Steyn is one of the few seam bowlers to dominate in India. Curiously - his numbers in England are not that great which again demonstrates pace is not all that important in England.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
RedKat
RedKat
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Steyn is the best fast bowler of recent time with McGrath (who had a SR of 51). His SR was 40 for most of his career and only drifted out in the last few years. Surprised so see him so poorly rated here. As mentioned before hes been superb almost everywhere including the subcontinent

South Africa though have a production line of superb fast bowlers and Rabada (if he continues on his form- has a strike rate currently of 39!- and is properly managed) has the ability to be better. Ngidi is also immensely talented and the two could be an incredibly terrifying new ball pair for many years to come.Nortje hasnt played tests but also looks a huge huge talent. Also worth mentioning Jasprit Bumrah who has a McGrath-like average of 22 and SR of 49.

ARNIE= LEGEND

Edited
5 Years Ago by RedKat
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

RedKat - 8 Aug 2019 4:25 PM
Steyn is the best fast bowler of recent time with McGrath (who had a SR of 51). His SR was 40 for most of his career and only drifted out in the last few years. Surprised so see him so poorly rated here. As mentioned before hes been superb almost everywhere including the subcontinent

South Africa though have a production line of superb fast bowlers and Rabada (if he continues on his form- has a strike rate currently of 39!- and is properly managed) has the ability to be better. Ngidi is also immensely talented and the two could be an incredibly terrifying new ball pair for many years to come.Nortje hasnt played tests but also looks a huge huge talent. Also worth mentioning Jasprit Bumrah who has a McGrath-like average of 22 and SR of 49.

McGrath retired over 12 years ago. He really isn't recent anymore. 

SA still have Philander too who is striking at 48.6. But Abbot, Olivier,MMorkel, Parnell, de Lange departing will really test their depth now.

Bumrah's has not played a single test at home yet (SA, Eng and Aus), I doubt he will keep his numbers that low with time given the nature of the conditions in those series and the teams he played against.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
RedKat
RedKat
Pro

Now Hasim Amla retired too

ARNIE= LEGEND

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Paddles - 8 Aug 2019 6:03 PM
RedKat - 8 Aug 2019 4:25 PM

McGrath retired over 12 years ago. He really isn't recent anymore. 

SA still have Philander too who is striking at 48.6. But Abbot, Olivier,MMorkel, Parnell, de Lange departing will really test their depth now.

Bumrah's has not played a single test at home yet (SA, Eng and Aus), I doubt he will keep his numbers that low with time given the nature of the conditions in those series and the teams he played against.

I saw Steyn bowl at Bellerive in an ODI last October. 

I'm glad I did.

He had wonderful rhythm.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

Decentric - 11 Aug 2019 8:24 AM
Paddles - 8 Aug 2019 6:03 PM

I saw Steyn bowl at Bellerive in an ODI last October. 

I'm glad I did.

He had wonderful rhythm.

Yeah, he was magnificent that series. Showed he still had life in the old dog.

He destroyed NZ so often, so so so often. He embarrassed us, regularly. 

His bowling average of 16 vs NZ seems a lil high, tbh.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search