Youth development in Australia, where did it all go wrong?

Youth development in Australia, where did it all go wrong?

Author
Arthur
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
patjennings - 25 Dec 2021 12:52 PM
Arthur - 25 Dec 2021 11:16 AM

All good points - but I think it is more about the culture than the architecture. Kids play FIFA more than live with a football at their feet all the time. Training - even every day is still not the same as living and breathing football every day. When kids wake up and kick a ball around from morning to night all day, where people play for the love of the game we will have a football culture  - until then we will have a football industry. 

As I stated, and we agree weak football culture is our problem.
But this just does not play out with kids not playing and training in their own time,  as pointed out weak football culture results in administrators establishing weak football architecture. It’s not just the kids, but everyone and everything around them.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

Talented 17-20 year old Aussies are attracted overseas too soon, where they spend more time playing in lowly reserve comps or sitting on the pine, at a time in their career they should be playing 30-40 games a season and scoring goals.
Kwame Yeboah and Brandon Borello are great examples. Both looked wonderful prospects at Brisbane, then raced off to Germany before actually achieving anything.
Yeboah then played a grand total of 76 games in the next 5 seasons.
Borello played 59 games in four seasons.
Two potential NT players who ruined their careers.

Edited
3 Years Ago by clockwork orange
Neveraeurosnob
Neveraeurosnob
Weekender
Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)

Hi all, based  on parents wirth experience, what would you do? My 15 yo son is still looking for advice, and it's getting to the pointy end.
1. Play NPL in Newcastle - coach seems okay, my son knows one player in the team. Means 1hr 15 min commute each way for me 3-4 x a week. Standard is reasonable across the board. 
2. Play for local community club on Central Coast. My son says standard is easily higher in that team than any NPL club in Newcastle he has trialled for. These are kids that should potentially be in mariners or CCU but for whatever reason were never given the chance. The coaching is outstanding as well. Same training schedule as NPL. Obviously comp not as strong, but club is very strong. He knows many of these players. 
The question that I want to know, (and I appreciate your prior comments) would NPL Newcastle for a 15 yo bring any real advantage? 
He will continue to focus on develoing with his two coaches as well and self-train. 
Many thanks for your insights. 
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)World Class (5.9K reputation)

Neveraeurosnob - 19 Jan 2022 2:33 PM
Hi all, based  on parents wirth experience, what would you do? My 15 yo son is still looking for advice, and it's getting to the pointy end.
1. Play NPL in Newcastle - coach seems okay, my son knows one player in the team. Means 1hr 15 min commute each way for me 3-4 x a week. Standard is reasonable across the board. 
2. Play for local community club on Central Coast. My son says standard is easily higher in that team than any NPL club in Newcastle he has trialled for. These are kids that should potentially be in mariners or CCU but for whatever reason were never given the chance. The coaching is outstanding as well. Same training schedule as NPL. Obviously comp not as strong, but club is very strong. He knows many of these players. 
The question that I want to know, (and I appreciate your prior comments) would NPL Newcastle for a 15 yo bring any real advantage? 
He will continue to focus on develoing with his two coaches as well and self-train. 

what are his main attributes? If he is of good technical level and skillful already, how much will an academy do for him? a 15 yo playing week in week out in the NPL sticks out and probably gets better recognition IMO and potentially an aleague contract in a year or two. Needs to start thinking how he can show how good he is? how can he be different from his peers? can you really do that with 30 other youngsters?
Edited
2 Years Ago by jas88
Neveraeurosnob
Neveraeurosnob
Weekender
Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)Weekender (29 reputation)

jas88 - 19 Jan 2022 3:28 PM

what are his main attributes? If he is of good technical level and skillful already, how much will an academy do for him? a 15 yo playing week in week out in the NPL sticks out and probably gets better recognition IMO and potentially an aleague contract in a year or two. Needs to start thinking how he can show how good he is? how can he be different from his peers? can you really do that with 30 other youngsters?

Technically gifted midfielder. Small for his age (but rapidly catching up). Lacks finishing skills (in my view!).
There's no academy involvement in either case. 
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Forum question... and I honestly don't know the answer....

Question.... Why can't A-League clubs loan out their youth players needing match day experience to NPL sides even if they still pay the wages...

I would rate some of the NPL coaches as excellent ... take Mark Crittenden of Blacktown City .... excellent coach... why do say SFC or WSW not use this club for their better say 16 to 18 year olds... there are other coaches as well...

The talent wasted by the bigger clubs is hurting Australian Football... I am sure clubs like South Melbourne would welcome some MV or MC youth into their sides .... would be a benefit to both...

Neveraeurosnob
Neveraeurosnob
Weekender

Just to make matters worse for players on the central coast, Central Coast football have just severed ties with FNSW and FFA and now stand alone. This stoush is just making it harder in an area with a plethora of football talent. None of the clubs can now participate in the FFA cup. The situation is madness. 
https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2022/01/football-australia-de-registers-cc-football/

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Neveraeurosnob - 19 Jan 2022 4:50 PM
Just to make matters worse for players on the central coast, Central Coast football have just severed ties with FNSW and FFA and now stand alone. This stoush is just making it harder in an area with a plethora of football talent. None of the clubs can now participate in the FFA cup. The situation is madness. 
https://coastcommunitynews.com.au/central-coast/news/2022/01/football-australia-de-registers-cc-football/

I have written an article on this...
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

Midfielder - 19 Jan 2022 4:41 PM

Question.... Why can't A-League clubs loan out their youth players needing match day experience to NPL sides even if they still pay the wages...

I would rate some of the NPL coaches as excellent ... take Mark Crittenden of Blacktown City .... excellent coach... why do say SFC or WSW not use this club for their better say 16 to 18 year olds... there are other coaches as well...

The talent wasted by the bigger clubs is hurting Australian Football... I am sure clubs like South Melbourne would welcome some MV or MC youth into their sides .... would be a benefit to both...

for SFC - why would they do that? SFC's NPL side play in the same league. However I agree that other clubs, particularly in Victoria where the youth teams play in NPL3, should definitely consider this though. 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

So, let me get this straight Mid. You propose that unpaid NPL Aleague players get loaned out to  rival NPL clubs to get game time ( at the expense of existing players who are better than them AND are getting paid to play) , why aren't these players getting game time at their awesome academies you are so proud of?    I'm disappointed that you could believe it would be a mutually beneficial deal for both clubs? How?  Would love to hear how you feel an NPL club would benefit from fielding an 18 year old not good enough to make an Aleaguee NPL squad? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Absolute armature opinion from me mate but sounds like the community club is the way to go.. Unless your lad is ultrafocused 2.5 hours of travel and 2-3 hours of training a night for 3--4 times a week will grow old very quickly...  Playing at a decent level and getting good coaching and advice is just as valuable as sacrificing it all for a small step up .... in my opinion. 
Good luck with it all, keep us all posted
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Unfortunately Mid, you have inadvertently nailed the biggest issue holding back Aus football, the perception that AL is the only game in town and everyone needs to help them generate returns for their investors.

So instead of creating another "unique" process to try help AL, why dont we just implement a traditional transfer system which allows ANY club to sell players locally and OS, same as every other traditional football organization around the world does.

Edited
2 Years Ago by AJF
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Below are my thoughts based on my 10+ years as coach and parent in Vic NPL & community comps.

As a regional parent/kid, you guys are in a tough position and question you need to ask your son and yourself is, is football his chosen career (ie does he want to become a pro) and how much are you both prepared to sacrifice to get there?

If thats the dream then personally you have no choice but to join NPL either in Newy or preferably Sydney. As good as regional comps are, the capital cities are where the talent is concentrated which is why both CCM and NJ youth teams now play in Syd NPL comp.

Unfortunately as a junior there is a lot of snobbery regarding leagues and if you arent in NPL as a junior then many doors are automatically closed. In Vic AL academies only shop in the FFV Talented player programs and sometimes NPL, plus majority of the strong NPL clubs wont even consider "community" kids for trials and majority of State Fed talented player programs only shop in NPL as well. Is NPL comp that good, not really, not enough talented players spread accross too many teams but Federations love the income (in Vic it is $40K per year per club for 4 junior teams so do the maths) and it is the only show in town.

Once in NPL, work hard, get noticed and get into seniors comp ASAP and again many NPL clubs (particularly the effnik's) have links with OS teams and can arrange trials for talented youth. Also AL tends to take established performers out of NPL ahead of their own youth so that is also another pathway into pro ranks.

If being a pro isnt his dream, then reinvest the travel time into study and continue playing in the local comps and let nature take its course. If he is good enough he will get good seniors opportunities.

I have seen a few regional juniors invest heavily in the dream and end up with nothing so with current state of youth development in Aus, I'd suggest you stay local and focus on school and let nature take its course.

Neveraeurosnob
Neveraeurosnob
Weekender

Thanks guys for your input. Incredibly appreciated.
Still a bit torn!
Yes, his goal is to be a pro. 
His ex-pro Austrian coach - who coaches some Mariners adult academy and jets players, suggests staying at his local community club. He says in Europe no one has even heard of NPL. He suggests the excess travel time and playing in an average NPL team provides little advantage. Different story if you are in one of the big club academies. It is also true that his local community club here on Central Coast is a better quality team and better quality coaches (hard to believe I know) than the three NPL clubs in Newcastle he has trained with. I can confirm that from what I have seen as well. It's a travesty that we have a community club here at 16s that could probably easily beat many NPL clubs - but nowhere for these players to go if you can't break into the boys club at CCU. (Mariners well that's another story)
However you make the point about 'being in the system' and the advantages that can bring. That's could be a deciding factor.
My son holds a EU passport and we have no hesitation of going over for trials when the time comes. He has around him support with links to clubs. 
His coaches says playing at a high level is important at his age but technical skill development between 15-17 is really the crucial factor. Hence why he trains 6 days a week and has 1v1 coaching once a week, in addition to any club action. 
We've probably got a week to make a decsion. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Interesting this has come up. My son works with a lady whose son plays off the bench for Sydney FC.

She was telling him that they used to carpool with that lad Tilio and leave for training at 4.30pm, 4 nights a week and get back at 10.30pm at night.

Amazing what sacrifices people will make for their kids. Such a big commitment for such a rare chance at a contract.

Member since 2008.

AJF
AJF
Pro

Neveraeurosnob - 20 Jan 2022 11:03 AM

Thanks guys for your input. Incredibly appreciated.
Still a bit torn!
Yes, his goal is to be a pro. 
His ex-pro Austrian coach - who coaches some Mariners adult academy and jets players, suggests staying at his local community club. He says in Europe no one has even heard of NPL. He suggests the excess travel time and playing in an average NPL team provides little advantage. Different story if you are in one of the big club academies. It is also true that his local community club here on Central Coast is a better quality team and better quality coaches (hard to believe I know) than the three NPL clubs in Newcastle he has trained with. I can confirm that from what I have seen as well. It's a travesty that we have a community club here at 16s that could probably easily beat many NPL clubs - but nowhere for these players to go if you can't break into the boys club at CCU. (Mariners well that's another story)
However you make the point about 'being in the system' and the advantages that can bring. That's could be a deciding factor.
My son holds a EU passport and we have no hesitation of going over for trials when the time comes. He has around him support with links to clubs. 
His coaches says playing at a high level is important at his age but technical skill development between 15-17 is really the crucial factor. Hence why he trains 6 days a week and has 1v1 coaching once a week, in addition to any club action. 
We've probably got a week to make a decsion. 

If he really want to be a pro and you have an EU passport, WTF are you still doing in OZ, use that passport and move OS and his chances of becoming a pro improve exponentially!

theFOOTBALLlover
theFOOTBALLlover
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

Speaking of youth develop, does anyone know about about the Talent Support Program that some, if not all, state federations run?
Neveraeurosnob
Neveraeurosnob
Weekender

theFOOTBALLlover - 20 Jan 2022 11:08 PM
Speaking of youth develop, does anyone know about about the Talent Support Program that some, if not all, state federations run?

Hi All, if of any interest, we decided to stay at A grade community football on the Central Coast. It may or may not be the right choice but his euro coach reckons just play at a decent standard but focus mostly on skill devlopment. All that travel to Newcastle and I don't think is worth it. And, aafter watching his community team on the Central Coast, they are light years ahead in terms of skill and professionalism than the three NPL teams we experienced in Newcastle. 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

all the best to him mate.....having made the decision.
Main thing is for the boy is train train train improve his skills.
Keep us updated when possible.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Neveraeurosnob - 24 Feb 2022 11:16 AM
theFOOTBALLlover - 20 Jan 2022 11:08 PM

Hi All, if of any interest, we decided to stay at A grade community football on the Central Coast. It may or may not be the right choice but his euro coach reckons just play at a decent standard but focus mostly on skill devlopment. All that travel to Newcastle and I don't think is worth it. And, aafter watching his community team on the Central Coast, they are light years ahead in terms of skill and professionalism than the three NPL teams we experienced in Newcastle. 

Good luck to your lad..... home he makes it.
TheDjentleman
TheDjentleman
Hacker
Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)

Are you better off just organising and s(p)ending your kid to go train in Europe for a year than fork out 5+ years worth of elite junior fees here?

Risk & reward seems the same to me personally. At least they could potentially come back & milk it having Europe on their player CV.

Everybodys favourite lurker.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search