How did you get into football/ a league?

How did you get into football/ a league?

Author
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just wondering how it all came to be. 

FOR me i played football/fifa and football manager as a kid i got into Liverpool per their famous route to the 2005 champions league highlight being that olympiacos game.

i followed the a league when it started then stopped following until del piero came and started going to heart games learning about the players more.

Iknowbest
Iknowbest
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.7K reputation)

Good thread topic.

My son showed me the light. He enjoyed playing at school, then club, then I got the bug and became a coach and then a fan etc.
What a shame so many kids have to grow up with the rubbish that is AFL, Rugby, Netball and Cricket.
Only those that have the sense to realize how poor these sports are find their way to real football.

There is a reason why it is the number one sport in the world - It is the best sport in the world.
If only I could turn back time and have discovered it as a child myself.

Full  trophy cabinet (but yours looks a bit empty) !
Reigning BACK2BACK 442 A League and World Cup (Mens and Womens) Tipping Champion - so yeap, I do know best !

Edited
5 Years Ago by Iknowbest
walnuts
walnuts
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

I lived in Europe for a portion of my youth, so caught the bug there. Found some likeminded individuals at High School and it went from there. My first game I ever went to live was Australia v Argentina at the MCG in I think 2007? Saw Messi et al in the flesh which was great.
sokorny
sokorny
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I started playing when I was 7, I wanted to play the year earlier so with my school friends but I was too young. My dad was into rugby league (we saw many of the Bears games) but he wouldn't take me to NSL games until the Spirit joined. I have played since and now coach my son who I think loves the game more than I did at his age. 

Boonjeh
Boonjeh
Hacker
Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)Hacker (350 reputation)

My dad started playing social league in his thirties and as a kid I used to go along and watch him. I then moved from Newcastle to Penrith and became friends with a lot of “ethnic” kids haha and football was the sport that they all played. I fell in love with it as a 9 year old and played my first season in my older brother’s team and had my dad as a coach (lucky I love my family haha). We went on a hectic run of results and got through to playing in the “President’s Cup” (1st and 2nd of div one and two in a knock out). We were second in div 2 and managed to beat the undefeated div 1 champions. It was very Mighty Ducks style haha
From then on, it was my favourite thing in the world.
I started following the A-League from the start and supported the Jets because of living there for some time.

I just love football so much. I became obsessed with Aussie players overseas and would wake up for every champions league game before school. What a time to be alive :)
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Growing up in Melbourne, my introduction to football was through my next door neighbours who were English migrants. At the time I had never really connected with AFL, but for some reason football was more interesting to me. I followed the NSL a little bit and would go to a few games here and there, but never really had a team I supported. When the HAL came around I started going more frequently. I wasn't a member until about season 3 or 4, but was going to nearly every game as there was no shortage of free tickets.
Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Through my dad watching Socceroos matches. The earliest I can remember is the infamous Iran home game we stuffed up. Didn't really get into the A-league until they started showing it on SBS.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Always tuned into the big WCQs over the years and went to a couple of olympic games at shark park.

But probably was Australia vs Japan in 2006 that turned a passing interest into a full blown obsession.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
It was prob just before the 1997 WCQ v Iran, Started playing soon after.

Wellington Phoenix FC

griff1
griff1
Amateur
Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)Amateur (691 reputation)

Good topic, @Melbcityguy you're always posting thought provoking questions!

For me, it was through my high school mate (who happened to be my next door neighbour), whose family was from England. He'd always come over to watch the EPL as we had Foxtel. The main game I remember was Charlton beating Liverpool 3-2 and Kevin Lisbie scored a hat-trick!!
Then my first moment where I became passionate was the 2005 qualification vs Uruguay. A bunch of friends came over to watch and it was a magical feeling.
First started going to the A-League as an excuse to hang out with my younger brother, back when the games where at Olympic Park. Must've been season 2 or 3. We only became members together when Harry Kewell joined (misguided in hindsight!!) but I've stayed on as a member ever since.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

griff1 - 9 Sep 2019 1:30 PM
Good topic, @Melbcityguy you're always posting thought provoking questions!

For me, it was through my high school mate (who happened to be my next door neighbour), whose family was from England. He'd always come over to watch the EPL as we had Foxtel. The main game I remember was Charlton beating Liverpool 3-2 and Kevin Lisbie scored a hat-trick!!
Then my first moment where I became passionate was the 2005 qualification vs Uruguay. A bunch of friends came over to watch and it was a magical feeling.
First started going to the A-League as an excuse to hang out with my younger brother, back when the games where at Olympic Park. Must've been season 2 or 3. We only became members together when Harry Kewell joined (misguided in hindsight!!) but I've stayed on as a member ever since.

Thanks mate i thought it was a good question as well already got some great answers here 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Les and Johnny.
 I was a kid in 70’s and 80’s Melbourne.
If you were from an anglo Aussie background or lived in a predominantly Anglo Aussie area, football didn’t even seem to exist. It was all VFL (now called AFL) in winter and cricket in summer.
We didn’t even know rugby union or rugby league existed.
I only saw football on t.v.
Les and Johnny introduced me to a whole new world.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

I'm bit more in the old/er years compared to many here.....
Migrant parents, Italian grew up Sydney, rugby forms had no chance and we wouldn't have even heard of afl thankfully.
Football mad since Dad kicking ball from small kid, started playing @ 5yrs and still at it.
Dad used to take us to NSL games AND when touring English clubs visited such as Wolves playing against a NSW team at the Sydney Sports Ground.
Watched some greats of the pioneering days - Johnny Warren, Abonyi's etcetcetc........
I recall the pain of the '74 WC, and the failures.
My era lacked the great mediums we all enjoy today - I grew up with this on the ABC back in the '70's called The Big Match on Monday night 1hr show, main feature game took most of the hour and some highlights in the end of just 2 more games.
Obvioulsy Brain Moore (Legend) being British it was all on the 1stDiv as known pre EPL change, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PItEOLzKs8
How I became as some of you call Euro Snobs/Ultra idgaf, I'm a Liverpool fanatic back when the Club built its Legend - so glad finally the young supporters have experienced the resurgence incl one of my sons.
I mentioned in another thread I supported AL from its start and still support PL/grass roots like mad.
Just as my Dad I've influenced our 3 kids who play and join me to this day at games be it Club/PL/AL/NT games and helps my wife being Portugese and obviously Ronaldo big influence so were one big happy family till WC time lol........

Love Football

newton_circus
newton_circus
Amateur
Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)Amateur (692 reputation)

My Dad used to always watch SBS - Les Murray's world game show when I was young. I remember that SBS song always...  'Soccer.... Soccer...   Soccer is the real football!'
I started getting into it, when the Socceroos played Argentina for a world cup spot in 93. USA 94 was my first true world cup that I followed.

I went through the heartbreak of Argentina, Iran, Uruguay (episode 1)

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

rusty0256
rusty0256
Fan
Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)Fan (94 reputation)

Was in London in 1972/73.  Absolute scandal in the UK papers that England was not going to the World Cup (knocked out by Poland) and Australia WAS!  Caught my attention, and then when I got back to Oz, watched our three World Cup matches in black and white beamed in live from Germany by the ABC.  I was hooked! 

It went from an interest to the beginnings of a life-long passion when my local club Mooroolbark United became the first club to take the leap of faith and officially join the National Soccer League (Fun fact - actually the first club to join any national competition).  Poor old 'Barkers lasted just one season and without an NSL club to align myself with I had to console myself with Socceroo matches for the next thirty years until the A-League and Victory arrived. 

For all those years I used to fantasize about there being a club like Victory - had to keep pinching myself in those first few seasons.  Just had to keep believing I guess.  

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Starting playing at 4…

Stopped at 14 and played league for 3 years.

Went back to Football at 19, stopped at 25 and picked up again at 35..

Last game I was 61 … plan to play again next year ..

In-between coached for 22 years, served on a local committee for 7 years as a technical advisor for people who needed assistance in coaching.

Teams followed as a fan and went to games, Auburn, Blacktown Demons, The Northern Spirit, Mariners.

Sadly I have never seen professional Football in Australia well managed, some administrations not as bad as others, but none have been good, errr maybe Hal years 2 to 4.

Best short vid on Football follows about the years leading up to Nov 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUIP6STNxSA&t=307s

Edited
5 Years Ago by Midfielder
Footballfirst
Footballfirst
Hacker
Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)

I have always been surrounded by people that played the game so I started kicking a ball as soon as I could walk.
I played my first club game at four years of age and maybe my last club game in my early fifties. I keep telling myself I am just having a rest, missing it so I might play next year.
I coached my first team at 15 then had a lengthy break but have been back coaching for many years now and have coached this year.
Like LFC I grew up watching  ABC's  English 1st division and also SBS with Johny Warren and Les Murray.
Worst memory and it still hurts is that WCQ against Iran. I still detest that pitch invader, not going to mention his name.
Good memories of Brazilian world cup teams. 
Maradonna at the 1986 world cup.  
The world cup qualification match against Uraguay  and the John Aloisi penalty.
Kewell and Viduka playing in England at Leeds etcetera. 
Craig Johnston at Liverpool.
The 2006 Socceroos and all Socceroo victories.
And  just being involved in football, playing ,coaching etcetera. 
And I still keep hearing this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZSU7bdSGVU

Atlas
Atlas
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I thank my grand father for giving me the football bug as a youngster. Dad was a football fanatic also, but never at any stage was he as influencial and my grand father. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Midfielder - 9 Sep 2019 3:42 PM
Starting playing at 4…

Stopped at 14 and played league for 3 years.

Went back to Football at 19, stopped at 25 and picked up again at 35..

Last game I was 61 … plan to play again next year ..

In-between coached for 22 years, served on a local committee for 7 years as a technical advisor for people who needed assistance in coaching.

Teams followed as a fan and went to games, Auburn, Blacktown Demons, The Northern Spirit, Mariners.

Sadly I have never seen professional Football in Australia well managed, some administrations not as bad as others, but none have been good, errr maybe Hal years 2 to 4.

Best short vid on Football follows about the years leading up to Nov 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUIP6STNxSA&t=307s

Bossing it at 61.  Good effort mate.  And here I was thinking I'm getting too old to play.

Brilliant.

Member since 2008.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 9 Sep 2019 6:08 PM
Midfielder - 9 Sep 2019 3:42 PM

Bossing it at 61.  Good effort mate.  And here I was thinking I'm getting too old to play.

Brilliant.

depending how your body has stood up, importantly your legs/knees/ankles your never too old today.
Great to see Midfielder and Footballfirst posting around my vintage.
Hats off to you Midfielder, your up on me, I'm 59 and can't wait to get back next season having had a ACL op cutting last season short - had op last August I'm ready to go again, I had a couple of training runs with my team coming into the finals recently.
Steady as you go and can't wait.
Others I know who recently retired saying I'm mad, yes I'm football mad and miss it so much being on that pitch with team mates.
Some good memories Footballfirst you qouted, remember them all and loved Kangaroo @ Liverpool.

Love Football

hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

The FIFA video games and PES to an extent got me into the sport, it wasn't until the 2006 WC that I started caring about Australian football.

Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Started playing at age five in local Central Coast club and played from then until 28ish with only one season off due to a leg I broke in the 16s in the final game of the year against St George.
Funnily enough, for all people keep banging on about the Central Coast being an NRL area, I knew heaps more kids at school who played football than league. Everyone watched league though.
As a teenager I found out my great uncle was pretty high up in the NSW youth coaching set up, but I never had much to do with him and couldn't say he influenced me in any way. As a Coastie I played in the Sydney comp but our representative area was with NNSW. Which meant we were only really watched by the NNSW coaches during the state title long weekend, once a year.
As far as watching the sport goes, it was the German league. A full game in the morning on the weekend on the ABC. Then match of the day highlights from England on ABC Monday nights. 
I became an Arsenal fan very early on due to their appearances in the FA cup final which I was allowed to stay up for each year due to it falling in the May school holidays back when we had a three term year. For the first few years I think that was the only time I saw them and I was amazed to find out that their actual kit was red and not the yellow away kit I usually saw them in.
As for the Socceroos  I never really tracked them much. Watched the Iran game but had no real feelings either way.
I remember actually feeling weird in the 2006 because normally I would pick 3 or 4 teams to follow based on what I was liking in the first round of games. In 2006 I couldn't just pick my favourite team based on how they played!
The NSL just pissed me off as it was never the same format 2 years running and was a really chaotic, awful time in Australian football. It ran like a legless chicken and had all the sense of direction of a blind goldfish. As a youth player with a bit of talent trying to find the way to go forward in the game at time I can only marvel at the relative opportunities and clear pathways the kids have now. Back then you never knew if the club you were supporting or trialling for would even be in the comp at all the following year. And never for football reasons.
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

LFC. - 9 Sep 2019 2:18 PM
I'm bit more in the old/er years compared to many here.....
Migrant parents, Italian grew up Sydney, rugby forms had no chance and we wouldn't have even heard of afl thankfully.
Football mad since Dad kicking ball from small kid, started playing @ 5yrs and still at it.
Dad used to take us to NSL games AND when touring English clubs visited such as Wolves playing against a NSW team at the Sydney Sports Ground.
Watched some greats of the pioneering days - Johnny Warren, Abonyi's etcetcetc........
I recall the pain of the '74 WC, and the failures.
My era lacked the great mediums we all enjoy today - I grew up with this on the ABC back in the '70's called The Big Match on Monday night 1hr show, main feature game took most of the hour and some highlights in the end of just 2 more games.
Obvioulsy Brain Moore (Legend) being British it was all on the 1stDiv as known pre EPL change, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PItEOLzKs8
How I became as some of you call Euro Snobs/Ultra idgaf, I'm a Liverpool fanatic back when the Club built its Legend - so glad finally the young supporters have experienced the resurgence incl one of my sons.
I mentioned in another thread I supported AL from its start and still support PL/grass roots like mad.
Just as my Dad I've influenced our 3 kids who play and join me to this day at games be it Club/PL/AL/NT games and helps my wife being Portugese and obviously Ronaldo big influence so were one big happy family till WC time lol........

We sound similar ..I first played football in Sydney in 1966 for Padstow RSL..soccer was huge in the Bankstown District back then. I did not know anybody who play Rugby League and most at my club were Aussie born  .That's how it was in Padstow back then. Very few migrants. There were two clubs just in Padstow alone . Padstow RSL and Padstow United (who I think are still going ) . My school only played soccer as a sport .

I watched Man Utd play NSW at the Sydney Cricket Ground (I think) in 1967 and watched George Best, Bobby Charlton and Dennis Law live at their peak.
Man Utd fan ever since.

I then moved to Brisbane after two years playing in Sydney . I grew up watching Match of the Day and Star Soccer. I was obsessed by football....
Played football morning ,noon and night and read every comic, book , and watched and played every game I could .
Stopped playing from age 40 to 50 but coached kids for most of that .
Took up playing again 12 years ago and am still going
.... and loving it .
I am a Roar supporter.

evolution
evolution
Hacker
Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)Hacker (415 reputation)

Wanted to play Rugby League when I was 5 as that was all anyone watched or talked about (Newcastle in the 90's hey!) but my Dad was too smart for that and signed me up to play football and I never looked back. Still playing now over 25 years later. Went to plenty of Breakers games back in the day (now a bloody greyhound track) and remember watching SBS on Sunday's for hours of football content (seem to remember the Italian leagues getting heaps of coverage) that started a lifelong obsession with the game. Still give the Jets my money every year, even managed to drag my girlfriend along for a Perth away trip last season. 

Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

I first played as a 9 yr old in 1964 in Armidale, NSW. Older brother played, and followed in his footsteps. Father had played Rugby League, but steered us to Football. Followed South Coast United from afar, loved Peter Wilson, Aussie '74 captain. Man United fan also, George was the Best! I have played on and off through later years, the last being 3 years ago, joint top scorer with 2 (don't laugh) goals.
Fun Fact, when 10 or 11, I remember a goal I scored, I was on the 18 yard line and kicked the ball toward a trench about 8 inches (20 cm) deep that ran across the goal line, which was about half full of water.On the goal line it was over a metre wide. Fortunately, the ball landed in the water with a great splash, then slowly drifted over the line as the Keeper looked on. He wasn't about to get wet for the team!
LFC.
LFC.
Legend

Footballking55 - 10 Sep 2019 9:19 AM
I first played as a 9 yr old in 1964 in Armidale, NSW. Older brother played, and followed in his footsteps. Father had played Rugby League, but steered us to Football. Followed South Coast United from afar, loved Peter Wilson, Aussie '74 captain. Man United fan also, George was the Best! I have played on and off through later years, the last being 3 years ago, joint top scorer with 2 (don't laugh) goals.
Fun Fact, when 10 or 11, I remember a goal I scored, I was on the 18 yard line and kicked the ball toward a trench about 8 inches (20 cm) deep that ran across the goal line, which was about half full of water.On the goal line it was over a metre wide. Fortunately, the ball landed in the water with a great splash, then slowly drifted over the line as the Keeper looked on. He wasn't about to get wet for the team!

LOL, I can picture that goal in the wet cow paddocks we used to play on.
Sorry to steer off course for a mo for your post reminded me what we grew up way back then !
You lucky blokes growing up with light weight boots and balls !
I'm sure the other ol blokes will vouch, the boots available back in the '60's when I started were Ankle high - massive studs and laces near on like Rugby boots of the day. Some were even plastic if I recall right.
Later once Adidas the main big brand evolved nice low cut leather boots were the go, now replaced by vinyl Nike jewellery, nah some of the boots and colours are great but they don't last long for the money they ask. 
The ball we played with was full on heavy leather, weighed a ton and farfar worse on wet days as Footballking55 reminded me.
You copped one of those balls in your face in full flight was as bad as being king hit by Thor's hammer ! LOL.....lucky to be alive and not like today where they stop play, its get the fuck up and get on with it.
Now I have to bite my lip watching my sons teams play on synthetics and see players whinge over this or that, a little kick or even no contact a kid plays Neymar role model etcetc...drives me nuts these prima donnas. 

+ yes Peter Wilson was a top player in his day.

Love Football

Edited
5 Years Ago by LFC.
miron mercedes
miron mercedes
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

LFC. - 10 Sep 2019 10:40 AM
Footballking55 - 10 Sep 2019 9:19 AM

LOL, I can picture that goal in the wet cow paddocks we used to play on.
Sorry to steer off course for a mo for your post reminded me what we grew up way back then !
You lucky blokes growing up with light weight boots and balls !
I'm sure the other ol blokes will vouch, the boots available back in the '60's when I started were Ankle high - massive studs and laces near on like Rugby boots of the day. Some were even plastic if I recall right.
Later once Adidas the main big brand evolved nice low cut leather boots were the go, now replaced by vinyl Nike jewellery, nah some of the boots and colours are great but they don't last long for the money they ask. 
The ball we played with was full on heavy leather, weighed a ton and farfar worse on wet days as Footballking55 reminded me.
You copped one of those balls in your face in full flight was as bad as being king hit by Thor's hammer ! LOL.....lucky to be alive and not like today where they stop play, its get the fuck up and get on with it.
Now I have to bite my lip watching my sons teams play on synthetics and see players whinge over this or that, a little kick or even no contact a kid plays Neymar role model etcetc...drives me nuts these prima donnas. 

ha ! I am your vintage and remember those days well.However in defence of the current day kids ...they can only play and develop in the world as it is . We oldies produced these kids to be the way they are. Each generation now wants to make life as easy as possible for their kids..and as admirable as that is... it may not be the best thing for them .
We are breeding competitiveness out of them and in a (still) dog eat dog world they will be eaten by bigger harder dogs who haven't had life so easy.

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I'm probably the epitome of the phrase "new dawner." cricket was number 1 growing up. AFL in my early adult years. I always loved football and the Socceroos, but it was really hard for a "skip" such as me to get passionate about the NSL as there was no team for me to follow. That all changed when the HAL started. i went to about half the games in season 1. i went to about 90% in season 2 and started dragging mates to games. By season 3 I had become a Victory member and was hooked.

BrisbaneBhoy
BrisbaneBhoy
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Pretty simple for me. Family. Older siblings and cousins, Oh, and friends. When I was young, pretty much all of my family and friends all supported Celtic - All with the exception of a couple my mother's uncles - As to them, not even following Celtic was acceptable, as football is the occupiers/invaders game - but that is a story for another day.

As for the A-league... I went along to the first Brisbane Queensland Roar match against the New Zealand Knights, the quality was poor, but the experience was fine. During the first two seasons I went to a match here and there every so often. Come season three, I along with my family move back to Scotland for a wee bit over a year.

Once we returned back to Brisbane (Season four), I along with my younger brother and a few friends (seven of us in total) all decided to get memberships/season tickets, which we continued up to season seven (I think). Our group of seven didn't renew our memberships from season eight onwards. A couple of us moved overseas, others to other parts of the country.  During the time when I had a membership/season ticket, a mate of mine and I use to travel to a few away games every season during that period - Which was always fun.

Now, due to my health I find it hard to go to matches, so I mostly (pretty much completely) watch Brisbane's matches at home.

My interest in the A-league (and FFA Cup) has always lasted as long as that of Brisbane. Once Brisbane's season is finished, my interest in the A-League also finishes for that season. The FFA Cup is pretty much the same as that of the League. Once Brisbane are knocked out, my interest stops.

*On a side note, I am the same with the UEFA Champions League and/or the Europa League... Once Celtic has been eliminated from either/both competitions, my interest in those competitions ends. Same goes for the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup. Once Celtic has been eliminated from those Cups, my interest also stops.

EDIT#1: Sorry for the essay length post 🥵
EDIT#2: In pecking order, Celtic comes first easy, followed by Brisbane 🙂

🇮🇪Hail Hail🇮🇪

Edited
5 Years Ago by BrisbaneBhoy
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search