5th Ashes Test

5th Ashes Test

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
There is one aspect I find pleasing about Hazlewood's bowling in this Ashes as it shows a maturity not seen from him in the past. It is his productivity and impact in the first innings. This is an aspect of his performance that appears to have been missed by some other posters.
Lords: 22 - 6 - 3/58.
Leeds: 12.5 - 2 - 5/30.
Manchester: 25 - 6 - 4/74. 
Almost all these wickets were top order bats secured in either his opening or second spells.
These figures show he was pivotal in getting Australia off to a good start in 3 of his 4 matches. and for a man that is not "an opening bowler" according to a certain someone, he and his fellow Blue Pat Cummins formed a lethal partnership.
His only failure to make an impact was in the last Test.. tho he did have Denly (94) dropped ..was it for a duck?.. Just reiterating that JH's figures were spectacular before this game.averaging @18.. the lowest of all bowlers. Also the lowest s/r and betting the lowest e/r too. The only two times in the series he was not in control of his game was when Stokes and Buttler took the T20 like heavy handle to him.

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

footnote for a certain someone. When it comes to bowling figures the end result is the main criteria. That is what stats experts use to make their ratings.
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

there was 1 ball in particular which wade faced where a yorker at blistering speed from archer surprised him. He had taken a big step toward off and readjusted against a 93mph yorker tailing on leg stump line to get bat on the ball across his body.

He has better reflexes than ponting and can use it to negate conditions and lateral movement. Makes up for sound but not great technique. 35ish average is excellent in England
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Man of the Series was shared between Smith and Stokes. I think that is fair, when you consider Smith only played 3.5 tests. That is just how dominant Smith is. 7 innings only, over 700 runs. 

Now my Black Caps have to try and come up with a plan for him. Given he averages 68 against us, I am not holding my breath of one. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 16 Sep 2019 11:09 AM
There is one aspect I find pleasing about Hazlewood's bowling in this Ashes as it shows a maturity not seen from him in the past. It is his productivity and impact in the first innings. This is an aspect of his performance that appears to have been missed by some other posters.
Lords: 22 - 6 - 3/58.
Leeds: 12.5 - 2 - 5/30.
Manchester: 25 - 6 - 4/74. 
Almost all these wickets were top order bats secured in either his opening or second spells.
These figures show he was pivotal in getting Australia off to a good start in 3 of his 4 matches. and for a man that is not "an opening bowler" according to a certain someone, he and his fellow Blue Pat Cummins formed a lethal partnership.
His only failure to make an impact was in the last Test.. tho he did have Denly (94) dropped ..was it for a duck?.. Just reiterating that JH's figures were spectacular before this game.averaging @18.. the lowest of all bowlers. Also the lowest s/r and betting the lowest e/r too. The only two times in the series he was not in control of his game was when Stokes and Buttler took the T20 like heavy handle to him.

Very impressive figures in the first dig.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

grazorblade - 16 Sep 2019 2:34 PM
there was 1 ball in particular which wade faced where a yorker at blistering speed from archer surprised him. He had taken a big step toward off and readjusted against a 93mph yorker tailing on leg stump line to get bat on the ball across his body.

He has better reflexes than ponting and can use it to negate conditions and lateral movement. Makes up for sound but not great technique. 35ish average is excellent in England

Interesting comment, Grazor.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

RedKat - 16 Sep 2019 10:15 AM
The overlooked thing about Anderson is that Broad was going to get dropped to fit him in. Similarly, imagine if Smith didnt miss 1.5 games for Australia (and again the argument to that is Labuschagne may not have played). 

Fair comments.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 16 Sep 2019 3:35 AM
Decentric - 16 Sep 2019 1:07 AM

What is amazing DC is which test have you forgotten in such a short time, for the 20 wickets from 3 tests. was it the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th test? (seems to be 4 tests but maybe I don't know numbers as well as I think I do) which makes it 5 wickets per test (20 wickets to fall per test 4 bowlers just doing his job) Don't worry with him bowling it just monotony that you can easily forget a particular one, don't go running off to the Doctor.

With the post I pointed out which was more about that fact that some said 20 wickets @ 18 is spectacular (which was the stat at the time I posted) and Hazlewood is part of the best bowling attack in the world, which it may appear on paper, but when you break it down 1 test was 9/115 which we lost, the other 3 tests were 11/322 so nearly 30 average. 30 average across 3 tests is not spectacular and definitely shows inconsistent bowling, considering the other bowlers were consistent with their performances. This is England, this should be Hazlewood's playground. I've already done Archer and Cummins in the previous post but look at Broad
23 wickets @ 26.65 BBM 6/177 so other 4 tests 17/436 av 25.6 seem to show me fairly consistent bowling across all tests same as Archer same as Cummins. So whilst Cummins consistently bowled at 20 Archer was consistently bowling at 21 and Broad consistently at 25 Hazlewood bowled at 30 for 3 out of his 4 tests (definitely not at his 22 average as his overall series would suggest, but which the other 3 actually did.) They were the opening bowlers for 4 tests, and the end result for those 4 tests England 2 Australia 1 1 draw. Do you see a problem in this line of thought?

Read what you must into it just putting it out there. So if you want to continue with a player, who appears to be an automatic selection, that is bowling with an average 30+,  75% of the time (Look at India av 34 Look at SA av 40 so it's not just a one off occurrence) hoping that those one off tests may actually achieve a win, which it didn't in this Ashes series, that is you're opinion which you are entitled to have. I just differ in my point of view, but I can back up how I come to that conclusion. Look at Australia's Win loss ratio with Hazlewood last 12 tests he has played 3 wins (there's that 25 % again) 7 losses 2 draws, can you see a correlation??

You can put the blinkers on and ignore it. that is your prerogative, you can look at other reasons such as batsmen, which Paddles and myself have shown is not as big a problem as some would suggest, it is existent but not the sole reason, but ultimately we are all wanting the same thing, we want the best players on the field to win matches against the best in the world. The Ashes was 4th against 5th and finished in a draw no changes to their positions, they truly are 4th and 5th, and Australia is 5th. We are 3 points ahead of 6th placed Sri Lanka who the ICC in all their wisdom only gave 13 matches in the 2 year ICC test championships, the lowest number alongside Pakistan, so they obviously aren't respected as a test playing nation. We have the No 1 batsman, we have the No 1 bowler you explain it.

Now you can say it is Hazlewood bashing, you can tell me to give it a rest, that also is your prerogative, but this is an obvious problem that I would say has been existent for 2-3 years now with no sign of improvement in any aspect, it is there look for it yourselves, you appear to be well knowledge cricket followers. How about the Ashes in Australia which we won 4-0
Hazlewood 21 wickets @ 25 BBM 8/140 other 4 matches 13/404 average 31 (there's that 30+ average again over 4 tests this time) it is consistently there, it is not imagination. And that is against a very poor team with regards to batting on home ground, and you wonder why we are being humiliated by South Africa and India, whose bowlers are bowling around those 20 averages, not just against us, but against the world.

Now Hazlewood is out and it is all over for another 4 years. 

Mike, you seriously have to be winding all and sundry up!

I've looked up Hazlewood's figures for the Ashes.

4 Tests............20 wickets..........21.85 bowling average................48 strike rate.

These are fantastic figures in any era.

If you are trolling, I appreciate your sense  of humour. It appeals to mine.

Ha ha!

If you are serious it means it discredits all your other posts using data to substantiate your views.

Next you will be trying to argue Smith's batting has been an abject failure! 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

grazorblade - 16 Sep 2019 3:13 AM
 At home our batting will be formidable. Not sure how you fit khawaja, smith, wade, warner, burns, patterson, head and labu into the top 6 but its good to see options

I think our batting could be fragile.
flyslip
flyslip
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)Hardcore Fan (194 reputation)

grazorblade - 16 Sep 2019 3:13 AM

Not sure how you fit khawaja, smith, wade, warner, burns, patterson, head and labu into the top 6 but its good to see options

That makes it a bit easier lol (won't happen though).

Our selectors might have to start giving more consideration to fielding standards when picking players. We have been fielding like a weekend club side for much of the series. Easy to have an off day, but generally fielding should be very good and there's no excuse for professional cricketers to be this iffy.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search