ABC set to show A-League [Comments]

ABC set to show A-League [Comments]

Author
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Munrubenmuz - 17 Sep 2019 12:29 PM
saweston - 17 Sep 2019 11:58 AM

Football fans who'd rather gouge their own eyes out than watch a game with 1500 spectators involving a team that shouldn't even be in our comp.

Farce.

When I watch football, I'm generally more focused on the actual game, and less worried about counting the number of spectators in the stands.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Feed_The_Brox - 17 Sep 2019 1:00 PM
someguyjc - 17 Sep 2019 11:49 AM

you have a short memory mate. memberships went on sale long before the fixture was released. In fact, Victory renewal deadlines passed before the fixture was released. So members had to renew their seat before we knew who we were playing and when. and the FFA does change the fixture from time to time. Our home game against Brisbane last season was moved from friday to saturday after the ACL draw was announced. 

I honestly can't see why they can't move 5-6 of the Wellington fixtures. the 3 away games can easily be flipped with the 7:30 game. easy done. then change 3 of their home games to 3pm (5pm local time) and move 3 of the sunday games to saturday at 5:15. moving 3 sunday games to saturday isn't exactly a logistical nightmare... and the clubs involved would hardly say no to a move if they're gonna be on FTA.

You're right, I was thinking of WU, whose memberships didn't go on sale until after the fixtures were released.

I'd love to see them re-arrange a few games, I just can't see it happening. I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying it won't. The fixture took forever to get done to begin with. They are not going to want to change it. Especially with all the independent league stuff going on behind the scenes with plenty of important details still yet to be finalised.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

AS I said before the draw was made for two timeslots for 10.

That draw was well done, now that it appears that Fox & 10, can't agree on a deal, and we have a new timeslot on FTA.

If the 5:15 timeslot had been know before the draw.... the draw would have been different....

Its  so obvious that most derbies are not scheduled for the 5:15 timeslot, in fact many of traditionally lower rating games are scheduled for 5:15.

I assume the ABC understand this, and I also assume that Indy Hal owners understand this.... I also assume Indy Hal owners want the best ratings and so would the ABC.

The obvious answer is to move our highest rating games to Saturday 5:15, there is no logic that would suggest otherwise...

It will be a real test of Indy Hal if they can convince Fox  to move the derbies from where 10 had them to the 5:15 timeslot.

On the overall move to the ABC .... its great and could be brilliant if the ABC promotes with cross over stuff like ABC breakfast, their News, less on the """Summer of Cricket""" and the slavish head bowing they do to the AFL.... 

The SBS reaction will be interesting, without going over old ground SBS has never,  yes never,  shown respect for Australian Professional Football even it the NSL days they constantly criticised it... all the time claiming to be the Football station which they are if you consider Global Football, juniors and national sides... 

Happy level at 7 out of 10 for this move... if we can move the derbies to this timeslot then 10 out of 10 for me.
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

It's a bit early to rage against the draw ,when there has been no official announcement.
If the TEN deal had gone  ahead,they wouldnt have had the 9 WP games.So i doubt this will happen for an ABC deal.
Lets see what the real deal is.
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

Midfielder - 17 Sep 2019 1:35 PM
Its  so obvious that most derbies are not scheduled for the 5:15 timeslot, in fact many of traditionally lower rating games are scheduled for 5:15.

Sort of. The Nix get a lot of those 5:15 games because of the NZT time difference.
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

That draw was well done, now that it appears that Fox & 10, can't agree on a deal, and we have a new timeslot on FTA.

If the 5:15 timeslot had been know before the draw.... the draw would have been different....

I assume the ABC understand this, and I also assume that Indy Hal owners understand this.... I also assume Indy Hal owners want the best ratings and so would the ABC.

The obvious answer is to move our highest rating games to Saturday 5:15, there is no logic that would suggest otherwise...

It will be a real test of Indy Hal if they can convince Fox  to move the derbies from where 10 had them to the 5:15 timeslot.

On the overall move to the ABC .... its great and could be brilliant if the ABC promotes with cross over stuff like ABC breakfast, their News, less on the """Summer of Cricket""" and the slavish head bowing they do to the AFL.... 

The SBS reaction will be interesting, without going over old ground SBS has never,  yes never,  shown respect for Australian Professional Football even it the NSL days they constantly criticised it... all the time claiming to be the Football station which they are if you consider Global Football, juniors and national sides... 

Happy level at 7 out of 10 for this move... if we can move the derbies to this timeslot then 10 out of 10 for me.

Mid - C10 wanted this same time slot, 5.15. Plus Sunday. 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

petszk - 17 Sep 2019 1:22 PM
Munrubenmuz - 17 Sep 2019 12:29 PM

When I watch football, I'm generally more focused on the actual game, and less worried about counting the number of spectators in the stands.

Of course mate but an average game with heaving stands is 10 times better to watch than a good game with an empty stadium.

Just about any sport is fantastic when it's chockas.  Have a look at European handball.  Who knows what's going on but bloody hell they put on a show and a half.

Member since 2008.

saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

Munrubenmuz - 17 Sep 2019 1:50 PM
petszk - 17 Sep 2019 1:22 PM

Of course mate but an average game with heaving stands is 10 times better to watch than a good game with an empty stadium.

Just about any sport is fantastic when it's chockas.  Have a look at European handball.  Who knows what's going on but bloody hell they put on a show and a half.

If crowd numbers are the big issue for you, 6 of the 28 games involve WP at home. Of these 6, 2 are at Eden Park, which has normally been a good venue for crowd and atmosphere. So really, it's only 4 games you have to worry about..... not a big deal.
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

AJF - 17 Sep 2019 1:07 PM
nomates - 17 Sep 2019 12:54 PM

With Nix being the main tv drawcard, he wont be the only one watching something else

5:15 Saturday afternoon is chock full of alternate viewing

* home shopping channel
* Everyone Loves Raymond
* The News
* Movie for a dreary afternoon. 

Anything is better than watching NoMates feebly attempting to play football.   
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Waz - 17 Sep 2019 1:14 PM
Divine Right - 17 Sep 2019 12:53 PM

Basically people have gone from complaining about having no FTA deal in place .... to complaining about the wrong type of FTA deal being put in place. 

Even libel couldn’t make this stuff up. There must me a Monty Python sketch to explain it all 😂

Post SBS these sorts of discussions were about commercial FTA.
Clearly, from that perspective, ABC is a step backwards.
Also, if Ten doesn't want us, then the prospect of ever appearing again on commercial FTA is gone, never to return.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

bettega - 17 Sep 2019 2:56 PM

Post SBS these sorts of discussions were about commercial FTA.
Clearly, from that perspective, ABC is a step backwards.
Also, if Ten doesn't want us, then the prospect of ever appearing again on commercial FTA is gone, never to return.

Actually, the prospect of FTA paying for the rights is pretty much dead. Remember when people complained about the SBS deal, ah the good old days....

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

Waz - 17 Sep 2019 1:47 PM

Mid - C10 wanted this same time slot, 5.15. Plus Sunday. 

that was my understanding as well. 
Seb 1968
Seb 1968
Super Fan
Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)Super Fan (122 reputation)

Well I guess some FTA coverage of football on the ABC is better than none at all, and hopefully the ABC will do a good job.

As far as the foreseeable future is concerned, I don't see any of the commercial networks showing A- League football on FTA, channel nine is loyal to the NRL, and channel seven is a hardcore supporter of the AFL, and to be be honest the commercial TV stations cannot be trusted with football,e.g. look at the way channel seven treated the NSL back in the early 2000's, and the way channel nine stuffed up the presentation of the 2002 World Cup.

CHEP
CHEP
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)Hardcore Fan (244 reputation)

The shit is gonna hit the fan across all codes sooner or later because we've all been monopolised by the sinking ship that is Foxtel who will take everyone down with them. They've already started imo - a dodgy FTA deal is the least of our problems. Slaving away for a stop-gap FTA deal is a waste of energy. Our new administrators need to pour as much energy into developing alternative income streams and start looking into how we can get around Foxtel's draconian measures to prepare for a move into the new dawn of streaming.

libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
AJF - 17 Sep 2019 9:04 AM
charlied - 17 Sep 2019 2:34 AM

The irony of WP killing the HAL after the franchise owners backed them to stay even though the metrics were atrocious

I guess this is also what happens when you make Rob Morrison club rep on the new leagues working group. Next stop Auckland team?
Edited
5 Years Ago by libel
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Divine Right - 17 Sep 2019 12:53 PM

Basically people have gone from complaining about having no FTA deal in place .... to complaining about the wrong type of FTA deal being put in place. 

Can't blame them when it sounds so shit that there may as well not even be one.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 17 Sep 2019 10:18 AM
I’m getting sick of people misunderstanding what drives people to watch live sports.

To be clear, the sporting quality is NOT IMPORTANT.

You can have a very low standard of play, but people will watch it in droves if it is well marketed. 

Nice to know that the alternative universe is still out there. 
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

charlied - 17 Sep 2019 6:15 PM
MarkfromCroydon - 17 Sep 2019 10:18 AM

Nice to know that the alternative universe is still out there. 

Yeah, it's called reality. Come on over some time when you've had enough of cloud cuckoo land.
Footballer
Footballer
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.3K reputation)

”The obvious answer is to move our highest rating games to Saturday 5:15, there is no logic that would suggest otherwise...”

😅😅😅

this is guy is surely a troll. 

The obvious answer is to is to move our biggest games into a graveyard Sat arvo time slot on ABC???

😃
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)Amateur (505 reputation)

libel - 17 Sep 2019 6:04 PM

Can't blame them when it sounds so shit that there may as well not even be one.

You're dead right.... if only S.Lowy was still leader. He was such an amazing role model. S Lowy brought people together like no one could. Long live S Lowy!
The Camel
The Camel
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)Hardcore Fan (251 reputation)

Burztur - 16 Sep 2019 8:08 PM
I thought the ABC did an okay job with the W League. Let's see where this goes...

The fact that many W League matches on ABC outrated A League matches on Fox Sports is a point that many seem to be overlooking. This potential deal has potential purely on the reach of the ABC alone
Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

saweston - 17 Sep 2019 2:15 PM
Munrubenmuz - 17 Sep 2019 1:50 PM

If crowd numbers are the big issue for you, 6 of the 28 games involve WP at home. Of these 6, 2 are at Eden Park, which has normally been a good venue for crowd and atmosphere. So really, it's only 4 games you have to worry about..... not a big deal.

Still that is 4 too many. Westpac is a joke of a stadium. 
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

The Camel - 17 Sep 2019 8:28 PM

The fact that many W League matches on ABC outrated A League matches on Fox Sports is a point that many seem to be overlooking. This potential deal has potential purely on the reach of the ABC alone

Maybe that’s  because many of the HAL games were painful to watch

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

The Camel - 17 Sep 2019 8:28 PM

Indeed. Hopefully the numbers will stabilise for this season. 

I am concerned with 9 Nix games though. Perhaps swap out 4-5 of them with Newcastle and some of the others on the short end of the stick. It is hard though cos the 5:15 time slot suits a NZ side very well. 
someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro

Curious. How many people here watch games that don't involve their team? Personally, I don't watch every game, but I reckon on average i'd probably watch at least one game in addition to the MV game each round. Funnily enough, as a neutral viewer, the Nix were one of the better teams to watch last season. They put on some very good performances. When it comes to watching a game that doesn't involve my team, it's all about quality of the game. For the most part, I don't really care who's playing, it's more about whether the football is good or not. 
petszk
petszk
Pro
Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)Pro (4.3K reputation)

someguyjc - 18 Sep 2019 11:16 AM
Curious. How many people here watch games that don't involve their team? Personally, I don't watch every game, but I reckon on average i'd probably watch at least one game in addition to the MV game each round. Funnily enough, as a neutral viewer, the Nix were one of the better teams to watch last season. They put on some very good performances. When it comes to watching a game that doesn't involve my team, it's all about quality of the game. For the most part, I don't really care who's playing, it's more about whether the football is good or not. 

In my case, it's a "If I'm home, I'll watch"-type scenario, but if I'm out, I won't rush home to see a game not involving my team.

saweston
saweston
Amateur

Exactly! The amount of crying and outrage going on with this 5:15 Saturday time slot is hilarious. Nix will be interesting to watch this year, and really interested to see how Piscopo fares in the a-league after spending so much time in Italy's lower divisions. 
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

I watch every game as long as I am at a location where the game can be watched. 

but to me its not about whether Wellington play sexy football or not. it is completely insane that the only team not based in Australia will potentially get the most games on FTA in Australia. That is a fucked up idea and a solution needs to be found. Are we also gonna get the sky sports production with the heinous NZ commentators? gimme a spell. 

The reality is that the bigger ratings come from the bigger teams. and the bigger teams are the Melbourne and Sydney teams (perhaps Brisbane as well). the Nix should not be on FTA in Australia under any circumstances. 

Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

petszk - 18 Sep 2019 11:37 AM

In my case, it's a "If I'm home, I'll watch"-type scenario, but if I'm out, I won't rush home to see a game not involving my team.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up for me too
Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

I dont watch 'every game' but i watch more games if i got a quite a weekend ill have the games on in the background regardless of whos playing - i usually only really pay attention to the MVFC game but some weeks ill have all the games on via Kayo but doing other things at the sametime 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Edited
5 Years Ago by Davstar
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search