Domestic Season 2019/20.

Domestic Season 2019/20.

Author
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:39 PM
baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:29 PM

Mike may also be wondering why Jack Wildermuth did not play today.

DC are you also noting that Ben Mac's technique looks more solid this year. He did ok in FC.. @29 last summer. Expect that to rise this time round.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:40 PM

DC are you also noting that Ben Mac's technique looks more solid this year. He did ok in FC.. @29 last summer. Expect that to rise this time round.

Bushies in big poo.
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Paddles - 29 Sep 2019 2:15 PM

Fooled me. How about Sangakkara? Not that short.

Sanga is 5'8" - which makes him a giant in Sri Lanka. Not being racist or prejudist, but many Sri Lankans are not tall on average, shorter than their Indian and even Bangladeshi neighbours.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Health/Human-height/Average-female-height

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Paddles - 29 Sep 2019 2:59 PM

Sanga is 5'8" - which makes him a giant in Sri Lanka. Not being racist or prejudist, but many Sri Lankans are not tall on average, shorter than their Indian and even Bangladeshi neighbours.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Health/Human-height/Average-female-height

Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 5:25 PM

Maturity showing in Ben McDermott's game. @50 List A average. CA needs to get him into out summer ODI squad pronto.

Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Mike may also be wondering why Jack Wildermuth did not play today.

Wildermuth has a poor record at shorter forms of  the game. What I wonder is why Cutting isn't playing more at FC level? But I suppose bowling is one area where Qld have massive talent, most of whom can bat. I'm predicting another big year from Steketee who is now 25, last year 42 wickets @21, massive drop in his overall FC record, another big year he will be pushing for Australian selection. Big scalps yesterday in Finch, Pucovski, Handscomb and Maddinson. Replays show that Maddinson still can't play shots at bowling directed at the body. I didn't see Victoria's innings yesterday, but by all reports Stanlake wasn't overly impressive, what was your take? Matthew Kuhnemann may get a chance this year at FC level. 3 from 3 for Qld and no Chris Lynn

I know your talking about Ben McDermott, but Caleb Jewell stepping up as well only 22, but definitely ready for the step up to FC cricket. His innings against WA  was impressive considering WA's bowling attack. Lots of juniors all stepping up Baggers, pressure on your NSW boys to do the same. Big game today at Drummoyne WA against your boys back in their safety zone. What's your prediction Baggers? Slow pitch to nullify WA pace attack? Warner and Smith should play, NSW top order has been pretty ordinary in the first two games but Jack Edwards and Nick Bertus performing well, but who to drop for Warner and Smith, based on performance I'd say Patterson and Hughes.

Based on the games so far I think there are plenty of youth putting their hands up and the List A games is where they first get noticed. My list so far would be Philippe, Heazlett, Bryant, Meredith, Pope, Sutherland, Edwards, Steketee, Jewell, Jhye Richardson, Matthew Kelly and we still haven't seen the best of Pucovski and Labuchagne is only 25 as well. Nair has potential but has to concentrate on bowling better and no longer has a NSW contract so he is interesting to see where he goes. Bowling line up of Meredith, Kelly, Richardson, Steketee ,Pope. along with Cummins only 26, Batting lineup Philippe, Heazlett, Labuchagne, Smith (may play till 40), Pucovski. Just need WK ? Pierson (26) and a No 6 batsman Travis Head (25) No 6 all rounder Jack Edwards if he can improve his bowling. Future looks very promising, wait for another 2 years for some more youth to come through. Makes you wonder why put up with batsmen that struggle to get double figure scores eg Warner, Khawaja, Bancroft, Harris and bowlers who finish test series with 30-40 averages eg Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon the youth is there to try replace 1 or 2 at a time see how they go.

Based on yesterdays games, I think Australia's opening batsmen problem may be solved, drop Warner and Co and bring in Beth Mooney and Alyssa Healy

The side I would like to see against Pakistan with a look to the future development
Warner, Philippe, Labuchagne, Smith, Head, Pucovski/Heazlett, Carey, Cummins, Richardson, Meredith and Lyon/Pope

The side I think selectors will go with
Warner, Khawaja, Labuchagne, Smith, Wade, M Marsh, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood. SSDD
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:09 PM
Paddles - 29 Sep 2019 1:45 PM

Most of the best are between 5 foot 5 to 5 foot 7, but there are a few exceptions maybe Sangha is one of them who knows.
That is definitely true. A couple more that come to mind up round 6 foot with not too shabby careers.. Rahul Dravid and Venkat Laxsman (not sure of spelling). Only Aussie that springs to mind is one Gregory Stephen Chappell.

Chappell was 6 foot 1 Bill Lawry 6 foot 2 and Hayden was 6 foot 2, Ian Chappell, Mike Hussey and Adam Gilchrist were 5 foot 11 but they're the only tallish batsmen for Australia that I can thick of unless you look at the all- rounders.

Paddles remember Sangakkara standing alongside Michael Vandort at 2 metres, that showed how small Sanga was and didn't you have "2 metre Peter" Fulton

Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:40 PM

No.

I've only had a look at him in one game though.

I've also learnt not to extrapolate white ball cricket from to red ball cricket. It is good his technique has improved.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 7:56 AM
baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:09 PM

Chappell was 6 foot 1 Bill Lawry 6 foot 2 and Hayden was 6 foot 2, Ian Chappell, Mike Hussey and Adam Gilchrist were 5 foot 11 but they're the only tallish batsmen for Australia that I can thick of unless you look at the all- rounders.

Paddles remember Sangakkara standing alongside Michael Vandort at 2 metres, that showed how small Sanga was and didn't you have "2 metre Peter" Fulton

I'd have to convert most of these heights to metric measurement.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 5:40 AM

Based on yesterdays games, I think Australia's opening batsmen problem may be solved, drop Warner and Co and bring in Beth Mooney and Alyssa Healy

LOL!
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Wildermuth has a poor record at shorter forms of  the game. What I wonder is why Cutting isn't playing more at FC level? But I suppose bowling is one area where Qld have massive talent, most of whom can bat. I'm predicting another big year from Steketee who is now 25, last year 42 wickets @21, massive drop in his overall FC record, another big year he will be pushing for Australian selection. Big scalps yesterday in Finch, Pucovski, Handscomb and Maddinson. Replays show that Maddinson still can't play shots at bowling directed at the body. I didn't see Victoria's innings yesterday, but by all reports Stanlake wasn't overly impressive, what was your take? Matthew Kuhnemann may get a chance this year at FC level. 3 from 3 for Qld and no Chris Lynn

I know your talking about Ben McDermott, but Caleb Jewell stepping up as well only 22, but definitely ready for the step up to FC cricket. His innings against WA  was impressive considering WA's bowling attack. Lots of juniors all stepping up Baggers, pressure on your NSW boys to do the same. Big game today at Drummoyne WA against your boys back in their safety zone. What's your prediction Baggers? Slow pitch to nullify WA pace attack? Warner and Smith should play, NSW top order has been pretty ordinary in the first two games but Jack Edwards and Nick Bertus performing well, but who to drop for Warner and Smith, based on performance I'd say Patterson and Hughes.

Based on the games so far I think there are plenty of youth putting their hands up and the List A games is where they first get noticed. My list so far would be Philippe, Heazlett, Bryant, Meredith, Pope, Sutherland, Edwards, Steketee, Jewell, Jhye Richardson, Matthew Kelly and we still haven't seen the best of Pucovski and Labuchagne is only 25 as well. Nair has potential but has to concentrate on bowling better and no longer has a NSW contract so he is interesting to see where he goes. Bowling line up of Meredith, Kelly, Richardson, Steketee ,Pope. along with Cummins only 26, Batting lineup Philippe, Heazlett, Labuchagne, Smith (may play till 40), Pucovski. Just need WK ? Pierson (26) and a No 6 batsman Travis Head (25) No 6 all rounder Jack Edwards if he can improve his bowling. Future looks very promising, wait for another 2 years for some more youth to come through. Makes you wonder why put up with batsmen that struggle to get double figure scores eg Warner, Khawaja, Bancroft, Harris and bowlers who finish test series with 30-40 averages eg Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon the youth is there to try replace 1 or 2 at a time see how they go.

The side I would like to see against Pakistan with a look to the future development
Warner, Philippe, Labuchagne, Smith, Head, Pucovski/Heazlett, Carey, Cummins, Richardson, Meredith and Lyon/Pope

The side I think selectors will go with
Warner, Khawaja, Labuchagne, Smith, Wade, M Marsh, Paine, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood. SSDD

Mike is this your preferred ODI or Test lineup?  
My ODI squad: NO  WARNER.  We both agree it is time for some new blood.
Usman, Philippe, Labuchagne, Smith, Heazlett/McDermott, Carey, Cummins, J Richardson, Faulkner, Tye, Agar/Pope, K Richardson, Pucovski.

Decentric
Decentric
Legend

1m 73 cm or 1.73 metres.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

baggygreenmania - 28 Sep 2019 10:02 AM

I still follow cricket in my state outside of state level Mike. Surprise.. surprise you actually posting something positive about a cricketer south of the border. Wonders shall never cease.

Too funny, Baggers!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

At last a victory for Tas in one day cricket yesterday!
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

Wildermuth has a poor record at shorter forms of  the game. What I wonder is why Cutting isn't playing more at FC level? But I suppose bowling is one area where Qld have massive talent, most of whom can bat. 

What happened to Cutting, Mike?

As Starc and Pattinson were starting their Test careers, Cutting lass looked like a good prospect in the same squad. He has also hammered the Tas attacking in the Shield.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 9:04 AM

Usman, Philippe, Labuchagne, Smith, Heazlett/McDermott, Carey, Cummins, J Richardson, Faulkner, Tye, Agar/Pope, K Richardson, Pucovski.

Either/or, don't care, just need to start blooding some of these players Pakistan is ranked 7th or 8th because they can't play away from home. Keep the core of Warner, Smith as the experience, keep going with Head and Labuchagne, blood two youth players. Don't mind if you include Patterson as long as he performs in the first two Sheffield shield games 1 away (Brisbane venue of 1st test)1 at home. Get Carey in. Stay with Cummins as No 1 bowler, blood the potential Meredith has big wraps on him as quick etc etc, from the likes of Warne. Richardson bowled well against Sri Lanka, and whether or not Lyon for experience or blood Pope. If they blood Pope maybe consider Hazlewood instead of Richardson. Got to keep some experience to help the blooded players. The bowlers are complaining about being over-worked so give them a break, depending on the Pakistan tests I don't see all these players performing at once, and against NZ you can change back to fresh bowlers, maybe even look at Khawaja again for NZ.

Your ODI squad is fine except I would keep Warner just to take pressure off the young ones to allow them to find their feet. Faulkner, Tye, Kane Richardson? Been there done that, not overly impressed.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Usman, Philippe, Smith, Heazlett, McDermott, Carey, Cummins, J Richardson, Starc, Tye, Agar/Pope. 
K Richardson, Faulkner, Pucovski.
McDermott has been impressing in List A for two years. Has @50 record. Heazlett is the form white ball bat. Has to be recalled.

Early days for Jewell. Only played 9 List A and FC games. Wildermuth's List A record is indeed mediocre but he played a very mature innings in the second last Bulls game. I have him as a future Test all rounder if CA goes down that path. I hear what you are saying about Steketee. He has been improving year by year. A former U19 player.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Gilkes in Baggers, he's an exciting prospect, Cartwright in for Turner, coming in at No 7, long batting line up for WA. Still No Smith nor Warner for NSW, Good Luck Baggers.

Gilkes, Lenton and Baxter Holt, 3 keepers, why are they still playing Neville?
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 9:37 AM

Early days for Jewell. Only played 9 List A and FC games. Wildermuth's List A record is indeed mediocre but he played a very mature innings in the second last Bulls game. I have him as a future Test all rounder if CA goes down that path. I hear what you are saying about Steketee. He has been improving year by year. A former U19 player.

Blues need an injection of class in both white and red ball. I dont see a whole lot waiting in the wings.. other than Hackney, Hunt, Davies (bat)-  Hadley (ball).
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 9:39 AM
Gilkes in Baggers, he's an exciting prospect, Cartwright in for Turner, coming in at No 7, long batting line up for WA. Still No Smith nor Warner for NSW, Good Luck Baggers.

Gilkes was in FL top 5 last year. So good choice for the south coast 20 year old.

Also no Starc, Cummins or Haze?
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Decentric - 30 Sep 2019 9:09 AM

What happened to Cutting, Mike?

As Starc and Pattinson were starting their Test careers, Cutting lass looked like a good prospect in the same squad. He has also hammered the Tas attacking in the Shield.

Cutting was pigeon holed by CA as short form only. His record as an all-rounder at FC level isn't outstanding, so have to look at him more as a bowler who can bat, and his bowling alone isn't up to par against the other Qld bowlers, remember we dropped Alister McDermott with a FC bowling average of 24. James Hopes batted at 32 and bowled at 26, so Cutting is a poor comparison to Hopes whom Cutting played alongside for most his career. Cutting is very talented just around at the wrong time.

Philippe gone 1/27.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Gilkes, Lenton and Baxter Holt, 3 keepers, why are they still playing Neville?

Cause he is skipper Mike. Lenton has dropped off the vine. 
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 9:51 AM
Decentric - 30 Sep 2019 9:09 AM

Cutting was pigeon holed by CA as short form only. His record as an all-rounder at FC level isn't outstanding, so have to look at him more as a bowler who can bat, and his bowling alone isn't up to par against the other Qld bowlers, remember we dropped Alister McDermott with a FC bowling average of 24. James Hopes batted at 32 and bowled at 26, so Cutting is a poor comparison to Hopes whom Cutting played alongside for most his career. Cutting is very talented just around at the wrong time.

Philippe gone 1/27.

Harry with a nice little outswinger first ball. 

My view precisely re Cutts. May make our T20  side for the WC but doubt it.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 9:45 AM

Gilkes was in FL top 5 last year. So good choice for the south coast 20 year old.

Also no Starc, Cummins or Haze?

Baggers I'll ask you a serious question. Remembering in the past players were paid with a carton of beer and a handshake, do you really think that Hazlewood who is now in his 12 year of FC cricket, only played 84 FC games including nearly 50 tests, Mitchell Starc also in his 12 year of FC cricket has played 93 FC games including 50 odd tests, Pat Cummins in his 8th year of FC cricket has only played 37 games 25 are tests are "over worked" for the money they are paid. Is that a legit excuse for poor bowling? How about Warner in his 11th year has only played 107 FC games 80 of which are tests. Just as an example of a very fit bowler Andy Bichel played 14 years and clocked up 187 FC games very few tests, was never paid what these players are, but never used an excuse of being tired. Are they too soft? Should they be getting fitness training which I think Bichel was doing for Australia a few years back, but that idea doesn't seem to be around anymore in the Australian team. How about McGrath or Gillespie both around for 15 years both 190 FC games. Or McDermott 12 years 174 FC games

Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 10:20 AM
baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 9:45 AM

Baggers I'll ask you a serious question. Remembering in the past players were paid with a carton of beer and a handshake, do you really think that Hazlewood who is now in his 12 year of FC cricket, only played 84 FC games including nearly 50 tests, Mitchell Starc also in his 12 year of FC cricket has played 93 FC games including 50 odd tests, Pat Cummins in his 8th year of FC cricket has only played 37 games 25 are tests are "over worked" for the money they are paid. Is that a legit excuse for poor bowling? How about Warner in his 11th year has only played 107 FC games 80 of which are tests. Just as an example of a very fit bowler Andy Bichel played 14 years and clocked up 187 FC games very few tests, was never paid what these players are, but never used an excuse of being tired. Are they too soft? Should they be getting fitness training which I think Bichel was doing for Australia a few years back, but that idea doesn't seem to be around anymore in the Australian team.

You just cant help yourself from Hazlewood bashing can you Mike. Do you have some kinda mental aberration or something. Hazlewood was 18 when he played that List A game against England. He secured that ODI on the strength of his performance in the 2010 U19 WC. If memory serves he did not become a regular with the Blues for at least I more year..maybe 2. Then he missed at least a year of FC cricket with back trouble.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 10:30 AM
MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 10:20 AM

You just cant help yourself from Hazlewood bashing can you Mike. Do you have some kinda mental aberration or something. Hazlewood was 18 when he played that List A game against England. He helped win us the U19 WC that same year. He did not become a regular in the Blues for at least I more years..maybe 2. Then he missed at least a year of FC cricket with back trouble.

Not at all I'm referring to the test team as a whole that are using an "overworked" excuse for not playing, that's all of them. Do you think this is a valid excuse? Should CA being investing more into the fitness program? For me nothing beats match practice, who is advising them to sit out?
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 10:33 AM
baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 10:30 AM

Not at all I'm referring to the test team as a whole that are using an "overworked" excuse for not playing, that's all of them. Do you think this is a valid excuse? Should CA being investing more into the fitness program? For me nothing beats match practice, who is advising them to sit out?

It is as a result of the plans Howard put in place as CA Hi Performance director. To better manage bowlers workloads. Crap. Putting them in cotton wool is the most probable reason so many of our mature quicks are breaking down with the rookie malady.. back stress fractures. DK always said the best way to rest a pace bowler was to bowl him. Or words to that affect.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Good one Arjun Nair.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 10:41 AM

It is as a result of the plans Howard put in place as CA Hi Performance director. To better manage bowlers workloads. Crap. Putting them in cotton wool is the most probable reason so many of our mature quicks are breaking down with the rookie malady.. back stress fractures. DK always said the best way to rest a pace bowler was to bowl him. Or words to that affect.

That's what I mean they need match practice, especially Warner and Starc, how to get out of a batting slump...bat. How to overcome line and length problems bowl to a batsman trying not to get out because it matters. I can forgive Smith, he's getting the practice out on the field, he could do with a break, Cummins as well as he played WC and tests. Is there someone in NSWCA that is telling them to rest, Pattinsons back bowling, Khawaja I don't think you can get the bat out of his hands, he wants to prove something as are Bancroft and Harris, but where is Paine?
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 30 Sep 2019 10:41 AM

It is as a result of the plans Howard put in place as CA Hi Performance director. To better manage bowlers workloads. Crap. Putting them in cotton wool is the most probable reason so many of our mature quicks broke down during his watch with the rookie malady.. back stress fractures. DK always said the best way to rest a pace bowler was to bowl him. Or words to that affect.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search