Domestic Season 2019/20.

Domestic Season 2019/20.

Author
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
ThingyBob - 1 Oct 2019 6:52 PM
Paddles - 1 Oct 2019 5:55 PM

Didn’t have the greatest WC, but Coulter-Nile is another all-rounder in the mix. Another one with a decent yorker.

Similar to Agar though - a little lacking in the runs department. But then what does Stoinis really offer as a bowler? His average and SR are both 43

ThingyBob
ThingyBob
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)Hardcore Fan (245 reputation)

MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 7:56 AM
baggygreenmania - 29 Sep 2019 2:09 PM

Chappell was 6 foot 1 Bill Lawry 6 foot 2 and Hayden was 6 foot 2, Ian Chappell, Mike Hussey and Adam Gilchrist were 5 foot 11 but they're the only tallish batsmen for Australia that I can thick of unless you look at the all- rounders.

Paddles remember Sangakkara standing alongside Michael Vandort at 2 metres, that showed how small Sanga was and didn't you have "2 metre Peter" Fulton

I’d like to know who have bucked the trend to be the world’s shortest fast bowlers? When I was at the waca the other day I noticed Jhye Richardson was reasonably diminutive. He looks taller on tv!
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Paddles - 1 Oct 2019 5:55 PM

Didn’t have the greatest WC, but Coulter-Nile is another all-rounder in the mix. Another one with a decent yorker.

His batting is certainly comming on of late...
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

ThingyBob - 1 Oct 2019 7:06 PM

Similar to Agar though - a little lacking in the runs department. But then what does Stoinis really offer as a bowler? His average and SR are both 43

Right now there is a focus on the World t20. But even the 2021 tournament will be India. Stoinis isn't developing as he should be. He isn't really developing. He has been worked out at intls, and needs a new game plan. But he is yet to execute one. I have applauded him, defended him, and now I am over him. He just isn't working out his game. Carey appears to be the opposite, started slow and just getting better and better.

Maxwell is just frustrating. But, he has a fair record vs spin, and offers a spin option, in Asia. So I think he simply gets lucky with the fact that back to back tournaments, wt20 in 2021 and WC in 2023 are all due to be hosted in India. 

I would be very tempted, to tell Finch, Maxwell and Smith that 10 overs are wanted between them minimum, and that 5 or 6 of those are expected to come from Maxwell,  and look after the 2020 in Aus next year to do this:

1 Finch 2 Warner 3 Khawaja 4 Smith 5 Next best bat 6 Carey 7 Maxwell 8 Patty, Starc, NCN/Dorf.Jhye 11 Lyon

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Paddles - 1 Oct 2019 7:47 PM
ThingyBob - 1 Oct 2019 7:06 PM

Right now there is a focus on the World t20. But even the 2021 tournament will be India. Stoinis isn't developing as he should be. He isn't really developing. He has been worked out at intls, and needs a new game plan. But he is yet to execute one. I have applauded him, defended him, and now I am over him. He just isn't working out his game. Carey appears to be the opposite, started slow and just getting better and better.

Maxwell is just frustrating. But, he has a fair record vs spin, and offers a spin option, in Asia. So I think he simply gets lucky with the fact that back to back tournaments, wt20 in 2021 and WC in 2023 are all due to be hosted in India. 

I would be very tempted, to tell Finch, Maxwell and Smith that 10 overs are wanted between them minimum, and that 5 or 6 of those are expected to come from Maxwell,  and look after the 2020 in Aus next year to do this:

1 Finch 2 Warner 3 Khawaja 4 Smith 5 Next best bat 6 Carey 7 Maxwell 8 Patty, Starc, NCN/Dorf.Jhye 11 Lyon

Yes the Maxwell problem. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerCountries.asp?PlayerID=3969#bat These aren't exactly earth shattering figures in India. CA has to bite the bullet and jettison Maxwell. His inconsistency hurts Australia.  There is one young batting/slow bowling all rounder that is emerging nicely and cud play a like for like role to Maxwell.. Bushie team mate Matt Short. He is impressing me ever game he plays. Ashton Agar cud also play the Maxwell role if given the chance. He will be keen to build on his bowling after picking up a pair of 3fors..and at the spin unfriendly WACA. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by baggygreenmania
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro
Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)Pro (4.1K reputation)

Still no Smith and Warner. Blues looking for some payback today at their home ground. Reckon DL robbed them of a win last time they met. Some disagree.

Dan Hughes will be hellbent on furthering his ODI credentials.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 9:38 AM
Blues looking for some payback today at their home ground. Reckon DL robbed them of a win last time they met. Some disagree.

Where is DC?
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

ThingyBob - 1 Oct 2019 7:17 PM
MikeR - 30 Sep 2019 7:56 AM

I’d like to know who have bucked the trend to be the world’s shortest fast bowlers? When I was at the waca the other day I noticed Jhye Richardson was reasonably diminutive. He looks taller on tv!

Good pick up Bob, Jhye is shorter under 6 foot (178cms) but he does look taller. I thought Pattinson but he is over 6 foot (186 cms). But the team that had shorter bowlers is SA Steyn (179cms) Philander is 5 foot 8 (172 cms). Malcolm Marshall comes in at 180cms. Really quick bowlers that were short would be Fidel Edwards as is Malinga. Bumrah is under 6 foot, but most would be over
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker
Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)Hacker (481 reputation)

Blues looking for some payback today at their home ground. Reckon DL robbed them of a win last time they met. Some disagree.

I think that most disagree because WA only had 5 overs after the rain break to post a score, lot easier to bat knowing you only have 35 overs with all wickets in hand. Daniel Hughes cost NSW with his inability to find the boundary in the last 10 overs, only once did he do it off M Marsh in the 29th over, NSW only lost by 2 boundaries in the end. They were 1/155 after 23 overs (12 overs remaining 87 runs 9 wickets in hand should be a walk in the park) That is what I was saying about Khawaja the other day, sometimes it can be better the set batsman takes the risk and let the new batsman nudge the singles.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Good start from Hughes farming the strike well, Edwards has only face 7 deliveries in the first 9 overs. Must win game for the Blues to be any hope of the finals, some would say they're no chance now of making the finals, but 4 wins and a good NRR could make it, they do need to win big.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 2 Oct 2019 10:08 AM

I think that most disagree because WA only had 5 overs after the rain break to post a score, lot easier to bat knowing you only have 35 overs with all wickets in hand. Daniel Hughes cost NSW with his inability to find the boundary in the last 10 overs, only once did he do it off M Marsh in the 29th over, NSW only lost by 2 boundaries in the end. They were 1/155 after 23 overs (12 overs remaining 87 runs 9 wickets in hand should be a walk in the park) That is what I was saying about Khawaja the other day, sometimes it can be better the set batsman takes the risk and let the new batsman nudge the singles.

Dan Hughes does not have the power to bludgeon an attack. That is the problem in this format when you are chasing quick runs and you are a stay at the wicket type player.. Invaluable tho if building an innings. Our ODI lineup lacks a player of Hughe's ability to steady and then build. Smith is the only one. SOS Marsh also.. but he is in and out. Sam Heazlett showing he too has that ability plus he can lift another gear if needed. Also 6 years younger than Hughes.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Poor execution. No footwork and Edwards goes.

Hughes posts another half ton. 
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Alex Carey showed what talent he possesses in this format yesterday. Did you watch his innings. Extraordinary timing and power. He left the express Riley Meredith in tatters. Took him for five boundaries on the trot. The thing that most impressed me was his ability to change gears when he and Head sniffed a bonus point was there for the taking. He has to remain our keeper for the upcoming pyjama stuff.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 10:50 AM
baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 10:32 AM

Alex Carey showed what talent he possesses in this format yesterday. Did you watch his innings. Extraordinary timing and power. He left the express Riley Meredith in tatters. Took him for five boundaries on the trot. The thing that most impressed me was his ability to change gears when he and Head sniffed a bonus point was there for the taking. He has to remain our keeper for the upcoming pyjama stuff.

Nothing for the spinners on these flatties.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Coaches of Moie Henriques must have bashed their heads against the wall watching him frittering away what shud've been a prosperous ODI career. Last game he showed his class at the white ball game by taking the big stick to the bowling while Hughes settled in. If only he had shown more consistency he'd have enjoyed a decade long career.
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 10:32 AM

And that Baggers is how the ODI game has changed. IMO Qld should not be anywhere near the top of the table, they don't have the batsmen to dominate and play long innings, like Finch, Carey, Heazlett, Warner, Lynn etc. There is no place in the side anymore for the Hughes, Khawaja, Silk, Head, even Smith maybe just one but no more than that, these type of players are now becoming a hindrance to teams. At the fall of the wicket batsmen have to be able to change gears to keep the run rate up whilst the new batsman adjusts to conditions. England showed that, go all out for the entire innings, that's how you win. Australia has lost it when they keep picking all rounders like Maxwell, Stoinis, Marsh who don't consistently perform in the hope they may produce one of those innings. It is nothing for 200 off 20 overs to be accomplished. Scores of 350 to 400 are becoming more common now, 300 won't do, probably why we lose at T20 as well. Notice how Hughes has slowed to 80 strike rate presently, the 4's have dried up, just pottering around presently hit out or get out is what is required at international level.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 11:04 AM
Coaches of Moie Henriques must have bashed their heads against the wall watching him frittering away what shud've been a prosperous ODI career. Last game he showed his class at the white ball game by taking the big stick to the bowling while Hughes settled in. If only he had shown more consistency he'd have enjoyed a decade long career.

He did play 11 ODI's more than a lot and averaged 9 with the bat, I don't think there would be a more inconsistent player at FC level than Moises. He can score a century and follow it up with 5 low scores, then score another century. He should have picked one discipline and stuck with it. 
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

NSW 159 after 30 overs, 20 overs remaining 9 wickets in hand, this is now T20 mode, a score of 330 minimum should be what NSW are aiming for. Moises takes Tye for 15 off one over. Moises out it is now time for Hughes to take over.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 2 Oct 2019 11:32 AM
baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 11:04 AM

He did play 11 ODI's more than a lot and averaged 9 with the bat, I don't think there would be a more inconsistent player at FC level than Moises. He can score a century and follow it up with 5 low scores, then score another century. He should have picked one discipline and stuck with it. 

Hughes with his second successive Marsh century.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

MikeR - 2 Oct 2019 11:14 AM

And that Baggers is how the ODI game has changed. IMO Qld should not be anywhere near the top of the table, they don't have the batsmen to dominate and play long innings, like Finch, Carey, Heazlett, Warner, Lynn etc. There is no place in the side anymore for the Hughes, Khawaja, Silk, Head, even Smith maybe just one but no more than that, these type of players are now becoming a hindrance to teams. At the fall of the wicket batsmen have to be able to change gears to keep the run rate up whilst the new batsman adjusts to conditions. England showed that, go all out for the entire innings, that's how you win. Australia has lost it when they keep picking all rounders like Maxwell, Stoinis, Marsh who don't consistently perform in the hope they may produce one of those innings. It is nothing for 200 off 20 overs to be accomplished. Scores of 350 to 400 are becoming more common now, 300 won't do, probably why we lose at T20 as well. Notice how Hughes has slowed to 80 strike rate presently, the 4's have dried up, just pottering around presently hit out or get out is what is required at international level.

Bout sums it up Mike. You have to tho have blokes with a modicum of red ball technique to handle the two new balls. This where   Hughes ability is invaluable. I am seeing that McDermott, Heazlett and Jewell have this too.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 12:06 PM

Bout sums it up Mike. You have to tho have blokes with a modicum of red ball technique to handle the two new balls. This where   Hughes ability is invaluable. I am seeing that McDermott, Heazlett and Jewell have this too.

Do like the look of Gilkes, has to be a starter at FC this year Baggers, they tried Sangha and he failed, give this guy a go he looks good. I can see him as a good 5 or 6, game changer. Want to see more of Bertus as well, great year last year in Futures.

Interesting NSW line up for the first state game. Warner, Hughes, Patterson at 3? Smith, Henriques, who gets 6? Nevill, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood. Probably go an all rounder at 6, but shouldn't need it with Henriques in the team.
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

Last half dozen overs Hughes has lifted his rate and without being reckless. Good cricket shots.  150 and he holes out next ball. That has been an excellent white ball knock. Even you will concur Mike.
Edited
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

The south coast boy Gilkes with his first List A half ton. 
Edited
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 12:38 PM

Last half dozen overs Hughes has lifted and without being reckless. Good cricket shots.  150 and he holes out next ball. That is an excellent white ball knock. Even you will concur Mike.

It's what he need to do Baggers, 330 should have been the aim. That's the problem I had the other day for Qld, 350+ was on the cards, just no-one to follow through. Renshaw, Burns, even Labuchagne along with Khawaja, just no chance of posting big scores, Qld has a good bowling attack that gets them home. Came up short yesterday though Khawaja's innings far too slow, Victoria chasing 303 got them in 44 overs, needed 350 but you won't get that with Khawaja. These openers have to be able to lift which Hughes did today, when they don't like his previous match, they do hinder the chase
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 12:40 PM

The south coast boy Gilkes with his first List A half ton. 

Tye death bowling is the difference between 320 and 350. Invaluable in this format. Do we have a better bowler in the last 10 overs than AJ.. I dont care how old he is. Kane Richardson is next best. His namesake is still learning this aspect of his game.
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 12:47 PM

Tye death bowling is the difference between 320 and 350. Invaluable in this format. Do we have a better bowler in the last 10 overs than AJ.. I dont care how old he is. Kane Richardson is next best. His namesake is still learning this aspect of his game.

Tye is going at 10 runs an over Baggers in the final stages. Jhye Richardson was better, they only scored 1's and an occasional 2 off his bowling. NCN still bowls well at the death, what's he now 30?
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 9:06 AM
Paddles - 1 Oct 2019 7:47 PM
 Yes the Maxwell problem. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerCountries.asp?PlayerID=3969#bat These aren't exactly earth shattering figures in India. CA has to bite the bullet and jettison Maxwell. His inconsistency hurts Australia.  There is one young batting/slow bowling all rounder that is emerging nicely and cud play a like for like role to Maxwell.. Bushie team mate Matt Short. He is impressing me ever game he plays. Ashton Agar cud also play the Maxwell role if given the chance. He will be keen to build on his bowling after picking up a pair of 3fors..and at the spin unfriendly WACA. 

Yeah but India is a very good team. So I look at all of Asia, seeing the world cup involves more teams than just India... :P

And you brought up his test stats. I don't why you would bing up his stats if not an error...

I really don't see this Agar batting talent at all. And his bowling seems rather innocuous to me.

Agar seems a bits and pieces type and cricketer to me.

Edited
5 Years Ago by Paddles
MikeR
MikeR
Hacker

Paddles - 2 Oct 2019 12:52 PM
baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 9:06 AM

Yeah but India is a very good team. So I look at all of Asia, seeing the world cup involves more teams than just India... :P

I really don't see this Agar batting talent at all. And his bowling seems rather innocuous to me.

Your not alone there, neither do the selectors, I have rarely seen him do much at domestic level either, I don't know why he keeps getting the Cricket contracts, 

Paddles you don't have ulterior motive for Australia selecting Maxwell? averages 8 against NZ?
Edited
5 Years Ago by MikeR
Paddles
Paddles
Semi-Pro

MikeR - 2 Oct 2019 12:56 PM
Paddles - 2 Oct 2019 12:52 PM

Your not alone there, neither do the selectors, I have rarely seen him do much at domestic level either, I don't know why he keeps getting the Cricket contracts, 

Yeah - for mine, in India - if it came down to Maxwell or Agar playing as an AR, I'd still begrudgingly go with Maxwell until something clearly better as a potential option establishes itself. Maxwell's record in Asia is more than solid in pyjama cricket.
BaggyGreens
BaggyGreens
Pro

baggygreenmania - 2 Oct 2019 12:47 PM

Blues with 348.. more than competitive.

Dan Hughes the star turn.. now averaging @100. Gilkes.. have we seen the emergence of another white ball talent. Tye 3 wickets, Coulter-Nile 2.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search