A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

Author
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
bettega - 14 Mar 2020 11:47 PM
southmelb - 14 Mar 2020 11:10 PM

They don't have to cancel the season, but they could do away with finals.
Pretty pointless playing finals if you're getting zero ticketing revenue.
As soon as SFC has won the premiership, they could call it quits there and then.

Unless the government orders it FFA has to provide foxtel with the content.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

scott20won - 15 Mar 2020 12:38 AM
bettega - 14 Mar 2020 11:47 PM

Unless the government orders it FFA has to provide foxtel with the content.

Yeh, I agree, I'm sort of saying the season shouldn't be abandoned altogether, that SFC should at least br given the opportunity to confirm its premiership (and then, at that point, if things are serious enough, the season could be brought to a conclusion).

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

bettega - 15 Mar 2020 8:29 AM
scott20won - 15 Mar 2020 12:38 AM

Yeh, I agree, I'm sort of saying the season shouldn't be abandoned altogether, that SFC should at least br given the opportunity to confirm its premiership (and then, at that point, if things are serious enough, the season could be brought to a conclusion).

The Finals is our ACL recognised cup. If the season concludes after teams playing 26 games then we fail to qualify for the next ACL

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Farewell for now fellow aficionados. 

I've been a subscriber to Fox then Kayo purely for the A League since game 1 all those years ago, but the awful football that has ruled the roost this season has finally done my interest in. The horrible game last night between City and Wanderers, two dismally disappointing clubs, was the final straw.   "Disappointing" doesn't do City justice for the cement-shoed non performers, on every level, that club has been since CFG took over.  

I've cancelled my Kayo sub. It's the only kind of protest can make to the incompetents that have trashed the competition with its huge potential, perhaps now lost forever, at the clubs and FFA. 

I no longer have anyone real hope that the competition can be turned around. Optus is the only possibility, but I doubt that the competition will have any commercial value by the time the broadcast deal expires. I very much much hope I'm wrong. Waz and Lionheart will insist I was wrong about Fowler and Brisbane this year season but unfortunately that success, in my opinion, only reflects the poor standard of the football this year season.  For exactly the same reason, this SFC team is wildly overrated. Yokohama showed just how much.  

I still have it in me to hope that next season can be different, that this season can be the end of this long and painful decline. But for this season, I'm done. 

Good luck everyone with the dreaded virus. I hope you and those close to you all make it through ok. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by charlied
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
bluebird - 15 Mar 2020 8:42 AM

The Finals is our ACL recognised cup. If the season concludes after teams playing 26 games then we fail to qualify for the next ACL

Surely the AFC would waive that due to Covid-19.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

paladisious - 15 Mar 2020 9:52 AM

Surely the AFC would waive that due to Covid-19.

You'd think so - everyone is affected, most will end up bring more impeded than the A-League.

elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

Pretty sure the first FFA Cup game counts instead, in an interview early this season the FFA mentioned that the 26 games, plus 1 FFA cup would make the minimum 27 for all clubs.
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
elksy - 15 Mar 2020 6:04 PM

Pretty sure the first FFA Cup game counts instead, in an interview early this season the FFA mentioned that the 26 games, plus 1 FFA cup would make the minimum 27 for all clubs.

Just once I'd love to see Australian professional football to do more than the mandatory bare minimum.
elksy
elksy
Hacker
Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)Hacker (317 reputation)

paladisious - 15 Mar 2020 6:16 PM
elksy - 15 Mar 2020 6:04 PM

Just once I'd love to see Australian professional football to do more than the mandatory bare minimum.

Absolutely agree, but can see why this minimum was all they did, they wanted to keep the regular season around the same length. closet to the 27 game mark would have been 26 with 29 rounds and the 3 byes. They could've altered the season from 27 rounds to 33 rounds but I think they felt that may have to much a risk, it would push finals further into winter and other football codes create more competition and as we all know Fox seem to control a lot in the A league with there demands.

So I think the FFA or new FFA or whoever Libel always blames each week, have provided the bare minimum as it would have been the easiest and safest option not risking reduction of fan interest or investment. 
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

charlied - 15 Mar 2020 9:41 AM
Farewell for now fellow aficionados. 

I've been a subscriber to Fox then Kayo purely for the A League since game 1 all those years ago, but the awful football that has ruled the roost this season has finally done my interest in. The horrible game last night between City and Wanderers, two dismally disappointing clubs, was the final straw.   "Disappointing" doesn't do City justice for the cement-shoed non performers, on every level, that club has been since CFG took over.  

I've cancelled my Kayo sub. It's the only kind of protest can make to the incompetents that have trashed the competition with its huge potential, perhaps now lost forever, at the clubs and FFA. 

I no longer have anyone real hope that the competition can be turned around. Optus is the only possibility, but I doubt that the competition will have any commercial value by the time the broadcast deal expires. I very much much hope I'm wrong. Waz and Lionheart will insist I was wrong about Fowler and Brisbane this year season but unfortunately that success, in my opinion, only reflects the poor standard of the football this year season.  For exactly the same reason, this SFC team is wildly overrated. Yokohama showed just how much.  

I still have it in me to hope that next season can be different, that this season can be the end of this long and painful decline. But for this season, I'm done. 

Good luck everyone with the dreaded virus. I hope you and those close to you all make it through ok. 

Crikies Charlied. The time to drop Fox et al is when they drop football.

Agree about the standard this season, but Roar have turned the "it's watchable" corner in the last 2 games and it's worth persisting with IMO.

In a resort somewhere

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

4,463 average attendance over the weekend and some quite rubbishy football.  Reminded me of the old days of the NSL.  ;)
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

Now is the time to tweak the A-League and start a fresh competition. The past has seen the A-League slowly become uninteresting, change the season to winter and bugger the other codes that have done all in their power to kill the game in Australia. I am hoping that CH7 will not be able to afford afl, they  are in trouble financially but yet they are now asking rugby to join them, lol, one broke shaft asking the other broke shaft to join forces. I do hope that the FFA are working hard to make sure that if Foxtel dumps the A-League, they will sue if the contract is broken by Foxtel. So far the FFA have stood their ground in not wanting to rush the A-League to restart, they are not going by what Foxtel wants but are holding back to make sure that football will not contaminate the players and public with covid-19. It is the only sport that has been sensible with their dealing of this deadly virus, the other two codes are not worried about the consequences if they  restart the season early. Just my little bit of gripe and silly posting.

"Channel Seven, the home of AFL, has reached out to the NRL about the potential of acquiring rugby league content in the future as Channel Nine looks to offload one of its three free-to-air matches."

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bumper
jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Bumper - 16 Apr 2020 1:31 PM
Now is the time to tweak the A-League and start a fresh competition. The past has seen the A-League slowly become uninteresting, change the season to winter and bugger the other codes that have done all in their power to kill the game in Australia. I am hoping that CH7 will not be able to afford afl, they  are in trouble financially but yet they are now asking rugby to join them, lol, one broke shaft asking the other broke shaft to join forces. I do hope that the FFA are working hard to make sure that if Foxtel dumps the A-League, they will sue if the contract is broken by Foxtel. So far the FFA have stood their ground in not wanting to rush the A-League to restart, they are not going by what Foxtel wants but are holding back to make sure that football will not contaminate the players and public with covid-19. It is the only sport that has been sensible with their dealing of this deadly virus, the other two codes are not worried about the consequences if they  restart the season early. Just my little bit of gripe and silly posting.

"Channel Seven, the home of AFL, has reached out to the NRL about the potential of acquiring rugby league content in the future as Channel Nine looks to offload one of its three free-to-air matches."

Both 7 and 10 have categorically denied approaching the NRL.
It would make no sense for eithert pick up extra sport content at the precise time it is hardest to make it pay.
bettega
bettega
World Class

jatz - 17 Apr 2020 7:53 PM

Both 7 and 10 have categorically denied approaching the NRL.
It would make no sense for eithert pick up extra sport content at the precise time it is hardest to make it pay.

True, if Nine is trying to scale back on NRL (or not show it at all), hard to imagine another FTA wanting to pay top dollar (although they might try and get it on the cheap).
I think Fox remains keen, if there was no NRL this year, you'd think there would be no end to the current trend of cancellations.

Bumper
Bumper
Weekender
Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)Weekender (27 reputation)

Yeah i was thinking, how can 7 afford to pay the nrl when they are struggling to stay afloat.

Also as we all know, Foxtel is refusing to pay the quarterly payment due to the FFA, it looks like it will be a battle in court unless Foxtel comes to the party.

I was also thinking that the FFA must have something up their sleeve and do not sound to worried about losing Foxtel, i wonder if Optus is in the running.

I am waiting to see what happens in regards to the FFA-Foxtel contract, if Foxtel pull out then i will immediately cancel my Foxtel subscription, i am not under contract and it should not be hard to do.

elksy
elksy
Hacker

Obviously none of us know exactly whats happening with each broadcaster and football code.

But is it not crazy to question if either channel 9 or 7, disconnected from either the AFL or NRL, could they swoop in for the A-league. The scale of the A-league deal would be a portion of the size of either the NRL or AFL. So if both or either channel aspired to reduce costs and display live sport, that is a realistic option. Alternating the A-league from summer to winter would be the biggest question in this whole situation. 

The NRL is being manged like crap right now, they themselves are realising that they are making a range of financial mistakes and that there lack of partipant and youth interest is a danger for there long term success. Something which FTA channels would be looking at. Rugby is even further in a dumb to the NRL, lack of interest, poor management. Any sizeable offer would be madness right now and thats why Optus' offer wasnt that good.

Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

elksy - 18 Apr 2020 5:09 PM
Obviously none of us know exactly whats happening with each broadcaster and football code.

But is it not crazy to question if either channel 9 or 7, disconnected from either the AFL or NRL, could they swoop in for the A-league. The scale of the A-league deal would be a portion of the size of either the NRL or AFL. So if both or either channel aspired to reduce costs and display live sport, that is a realistic option. Alternating the A-league from summer to winter would be the biggest question in this whole situation. 

The NRL is being manged like crap right now, they themselves are realising that they are making a range of financial mistakes and that there lack of partipant and youth interest is a danger for there long term success. Something which FTA channels would be looking at. Rugby is even further in a dumb to the NRL, lack of interest, poor management. Any sizeable offer would be madness right now and thats why Optus' offer wasnt that good.

I wouldn't want CH7 to take not even one game a week no matter all of the A-League.

What they did to the old NSL is beyond disgusting, and the CH7 Victoria boss admitted what they did in court.
For those that don't know what happened here is a short explanation below.

When CH9 and CH10 teamed up to take the afl away from CH7, CH7 thought that it is their god given right to keep the rights of the game, and how, when they where in court due to ch7 crying foul, their big boss whatever his position was, said in court to the judge,  i quote " We even took a ten year contract with soccer just to kill it of and not be in competition with our game" unquote.

This to me was the time that i have  reached the highest level of despise for ch7, not to mention all the crap that they put on the a-league trying to bring it down.

Take my word for it, here in Melbourne it is all about afl cricket tennis, football is classed as a foreign game and must be eliminated.

As for CH9, i am not to sure either, they haven't been exactly kind to the game in Melbourne.

Then we have CH10, since they have been bought out by some American company, they the Americans do not look at football kindly either.

The game needs to learn from all this and not make the same mistakes as has happened in the past, also the past FFA administrators did a lot of damage to the game, instead of taking advantage of the then popularity that the A-League had, they decided to squabble with the clubs owners, they should have taken advantage and advertised like mad rather spending money on the world cup bid, which also was a disaster and did the game more harm then good.

[quote][/quote]

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

The A league would not be seen as a cheaper alternative to AFL or NRL by either channel.  They use AFL and NRL as a loss leader, and as a basis for other programming.  A League just doesn't have the market to fulfil that function.  They could still broadcast A league in the right circumstances, but it wouldn't be as an alternative to those leagues. 
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

Bumper - 18 Apr 2020 5:31 PM

The A league would not be seen as a cheaper alternative to AFL or NRL by either channel. 

I don't think that any of the FTA networks will be interested in the game to be honest.
Unfortunately a lot of damage has been done to the game, by the past FFA, afl, rugby, and all afl and rugby cricket media, not to mention the gangs that went to games for the sole purpose of giving the game a bad name.

The only way that i can see football survive in this country is to just completely ignore FTA and all other media that resembles FTA.

I think maybe streaming is the way to go for football, it would be cheaper to subscribe to and it will hopefully entice the younger generation to get involved with it.

Lets face it, ABC the current FTA network have not one ounce of interest in the game, ch10 the same, ch9 only interested in rugby, afl and cricket, foxtel the biggest joke of all, the way they kept the game from growing unlike the exposer that they give to the afl and rugby, during telecasting of football games, at half time they where ramming rugby and afl down our throats, but yet as far as i know, they hardly ever promoted football.

Also i was reading an article where  Mark Schwarzer was saying that the biggest setback for football in Australia is the states federations, they keep the game from improving and all that they are there for is for state interest and self interest, i think he is spot on and as he says, state federations should be abolished and have one central football control.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bumper
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Bumper - 21 Apr 2020 10:02 AM

I don't think that any of the FTA networks will be interested in the game to be honest.
Unfortunately a lot of damage has been done to the game, by the past FFA, afl, rugby, and all afl and rugby cricket media, not to mention the gangs that went to games for the sole purpose of giving the game a bad name.

The only way that i can see football survive in this country is to just completely ignore FTA and all other media that resembles FTA.

I think maybe streaming is the way to go for football, it would be cheaper to subscribe to and it will hopefully entice the younger generation to get involved with it.

Lets face it, ABC the current FTA network have not one ounce of interest in the game, ch10 the same, ch9 only interested in rugby, afl and cricket, foxtel the biggest joke of all, the way they kept the game from growing unlike the exposer that they give to the afl and rugby, during telecasting of football games, at half time they where ramming rugby and afl down our throats, but yet as far as i know, they hardly ever promoted football.

Also i was reading an article where  Mark Schwarzer was saying that the biggest setback for football in Australia is the states federations, they keep the game from improving and all that they are there for is for state interest and self interest, i think he is spot on and as he says, state federations should be abolished and have one central football control.

There’s enough reports saying NINE are interested, and as the primary broadcaster as well. There’s a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge before anything gets settled but a NINE/Optus link up is not an unreasonable prospect for the A League. 
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

Waz - 21 Apr 2020 12:05 PM

There’s enough reports saying NINE are interested, and as the primary broadcaster as well. There’s a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge before anything gets settled but a NINE/Optus link up is not an unreasonable prospect for the A League. 

Thanks for that info Waz,  i had no idea, and sorry to post comments without actually knowing the facts. :)

Well lets hope that it eventuates and CH9 do a good job, a lot better than what CH10 and the ABC have done.

Also i forgot the mention, if Optus are involved, i will subscribe with them as well, but dump Foxtel.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bumper
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

I
What gangs? 
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Also why didn’t the ffa sue the hell out of channel 7 for burying the nsl? Sounds like a breach of contract or breath of ethics 
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

Melbcityguy - 21 Apr 2020 12:41 PM
What gangs? 

The hooligans that done all the damage at A-League games, they are nothing but terrorist gangs, that's who.

I have said in the past that the hooligans had nothing to do with football in this country, i also maintain that all was a setup to disrupt the progress of the A-League.

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Bumper - 21 Apr 2020 12:16 PM
Waz - 21 Apr 2020 12:05 PM

Thanks for that info Waz,  i had no idea, and sorry to post comments without actually knowing the facts. :)

Well lets hope that it eventuates and CH9 do a good job, a lot better than what CH10 and the ABC have done.

Also i forgot the mention, if Optus are involved, i will subscribe with them as well, but dump Foxtel.

Hard to say they’re “facts” sadly just several news stories relating to it. Hopefully we get something out of it and, Like you, I’m off to Optus if football lands there. 
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

Waz - 21 Apr 2020 2:03 PM
Bumper - 21 Apr 2020 12:16 PM

Hard to say they’re “facts” sadly just several news stories relating to it. Hopefully we get something out of it and, Like you, I’m off to Optus if football lands there. 

Yeah i think that if Foxtel dump the A-League, they will be in a bigger mess than what they are in now.

I have already talked it over with my wife about Dumping Foxtel, she agrees with me so that is one argument that will not eventuate, :) thank god for that.

Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

Melbcityguy - 21 Apr 2020 12:43 PM
Also why didn’t the ffa sue the hell out of channel 7 for burying the nsl? Sounds like a breach of contract or breath of ethics 

I think the old NSL bosses had no idea what a contract is, but i agree with you, ch7 should have been sued for breaching the contract, unless the contract did not have a clause as to telecasting the game is a priority or telecast it at all.

Also i still remember when ch7 had a Sunday morning program called world of sports, it was 99% afl, there was this English man his name was Fred Villiers, he used to appear to talk about football and shed some light of what is going on, no NSL at the time just Victorian State League, as soon as the camera went to him, the old bustard his surname  i think was Collins from memory, he walked up to Fred and said sorry but we have no time for your soccer, all at the studio burst out laughing and the poor bloke just sat there bamboozled.

Fred was also a football writer for the now defunct newspaper The Truth.

That is CH7, and people that think that ch7 have changed towards the game of football they really have no idea as to what ch7 is.
You can see a short video of Fred on this site below.

As an outsider from the "foreign" code Villiers was targeted for special treatment from the largely Aussie Rules boy's club. Most of it came from the very old school former Richmond champion Jack Dyer and his offsider Lou Richards.

https://melbournesoccer.blogspot.com/2017/01/fred-villiers-on-world-of-sport.html

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bumper
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Um, probably because ffa weren't a party to the contract?
Edited
4 Years Ago by libel
Bumper
Bumper
Weekender

libel - 21 Apr 2020 6:17 PM

Um, probably because ffa weren't a party to the contract?

Yeah the FFA did not exist at the time, it was either Soccer Australia or Australian Soccer Federation, i can't remember which.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bumper
elksy
elksy
Hacker

jatz - 18 Apr 2020 9:52 PM

The A league would not be seen as a cheaper alternative to AFL or NRL by either channel.  They use AFL and NRL as a loss leader, and as a basis for other programming.  A League just doesn't have the market to fulfil that function.  They could still broadcast A league in the right circumstances, but it wouldn't be as an alternative to those leagues. 

Whilst you are right, the A league would still very much be a cheaper alternative. The current NRL deal if everything ive heard is correct is around 1.8 billion over 5 years, therefore around 360 million a year. The current A-league deal sits at 60 million a year, a sixth of the side of the NRL deal.

Now if in theory and hypothetically, CH9 wanted to reduce costs, they could pick up an alter A-league playing through winter instead of summer as an NRL replacement. They would save themselves 300 million and would move away from what could technically be viewed as a lose leader and start to promote a product which could generate more revenue.

CH9 often promote the NRL themselves through news stories and articles around the teams and players, in order to continue to drive interest and awareness of the happens within there game. Taking the A-league would see no shortage of football based stories either as they link to more world football, and reconnect the older football fans within the country back to the sport and possibly towards the A-league.

In my personal opinion if this was a theoretically possible, highly unlikely, but if it was it wouldnt be a bad option for any of the stakeholders involved. 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search