A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

A-League Attendances: Season 2019/20

Author
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
City has bigger reach with casuals in Melbourne as it’s a sporting day/night out in the city, WU don’t have that. If anything City get the crowds they do because they play in the city, reacon they would draw much worse in the suburbs whichever direction they went in.
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

southmelb - 20 Oct 2019 7:17 PM
City has bigger reach with casuals in Melbourne as it’s a sporting day/night out in the city, WU don’t have that. If anything City get the crowds they do because they play in the city, reacon they would draw much worse in the suburbs whichever direction they went in.

Yep.
Precisely why I never understood the argument from so many that South Melbourne is no good for the league because their home ground is too close to the CBD (precisely why it was the very best option!)
No one living a decent part of Melbourne is going to travel out to Geelong, Ballarat or, heaven bid, Tarneit, for a night out.
But they would have travelled to South Melbourne, from all over Melbourne.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

12,536 in Sydney 

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 20 Oct 2019 8:09 PM

12,536 in Sydney 

Not bad for a game against the Nix.

southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

bettega - 20 Oct 2019 8:02 PM
southmelb - 20 Oct 2019 7:17 PM

Yep.
Precisely why I never understood the argument from so many that South Melbourne is no good for the league because their home ground is too close to the CBD (precisely why it was the very best option!)
No one living a decent part of Melbourne is going to travel out to Geelong, Ballarat or, heaven bid, Tarneit, for a night out.
But they would have travelled to South Melbourne, from all over Melbourne.

The argument was more that South Melbourne is too close to aami Park and marvel and you couldn’t have teams that close to eachother.

if western United v Perth was in the city I would have gone and taken 10 people with me, then hung out in the cbd, Geelong or tarneit god no.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

bettega - 20 Oct 2019 8:12 PM
Melbcityguy - 20 Oct 2019 8:09 PM

Not bad for a game against the Nix.

Idk

seems pretty low for Australia’s self proclaimed biggest club’s first home game
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

scott20won - 20 Oct 2019 8:48 PM

Idk

I'm not sure how much more you were expecting given the relentless neg-offensive against the a league by so called football fans.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 20 Oct 2019 9:45 PM

I'm not sure how much more you were expecting given the relentless neg-offensive against the a league by so called football fans.

Given 
-you are champions
-won first round game
-that stadium is in your “heartland”

a full house. I would expect it to be sold out...
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Idk

southmelb - 20 Oct 2019 8:42 PM
bettega - 20 Oct 2019 8:02 PM

The argument was more that South Melbourne is too close to aami Park and marvel and you couldn’t have teams that close to eachother.

if western United v Perth was in the city I would have gone and taken 10 people with me, then hung out in the cbd, Geelong or tarneit god no.

You would never have gone anyway, so it’s a mute point.

The reality is that the league needs to broaden its geographic footprint, which is what WU or Team 11 offered far more value on than another inner city club. 

MV and MC both are reported to have objected to a 3rd club in Melbourne, however if there was anyone they likely would have preferred it was WU, as SMFC was a far larger threat at just cutting into their supporter bases.

Even though MV in particular has a good footprint in the West and Geelong region, there are barriers to entry for a number of fans to get involved playing 95% of matches in Inner city Melbourne.

Unlocking more support in Geelong and Ballarat would bring additional value for the league, which will be further boosted by the significant growth in the western suburbs that is occurring. The concept is strong, but the execution is key.

charlied
charlied
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

Heart_fan - 20 Oct 2019 9:53 PM

The reality is that the league needs to broaden its geographic footprint, which is what WU or Team 11 offered far more value on than another inner city club. 

MV and MC both are reported to have objected to a 3rd club in Melbourne, however if there was anyone they likely would have preferred it was WU, as SMFC was a far larger threat at just cutting into their supporter bases.

Even though MV in particular has a good footprint in the West and Geelong region, there are barriers to entry for a number of fans to get involved playing 95% of matches in Inner city Melbourne.

Unlocking more support in Geelong and Ballarat would bring additional value for the league, which will be further boosted by the significant growth in the western suburbs that is occurring. The concept is strong, but the execution is key.
Moot point 
Cappuccino
Cappuccino
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

For one of our matches at Leichardt last season (against the Mariners) the announced attendance was something similar (~12k) only for the club to clarify later that week that the ticket scanners hadn't functioned properly and there had probably been at least another 3-4k in the ground. This makes sense - Leichardt doesn't have proper ticket turnstiles and the count is based on individual ground staff scanning tickets from their phones, so it doesn't strike me as all that reliable.

Frankly, I expect the same happened tonight, because Leichardt was absolutely packed. There can't have been more than a few hundred empty seats in the grandstands, and I have no idea how the hill could've fit another 7k people (it looked 80% full at minimum).

Anyway, whatever the figure, it was a cracking atmosphere. If the public transport and parking options weren't so dire it would be a perfect home ground.
Edited
5 Years Ago by Cappuccino
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

That figure doesnt seem right, looked pretty packed to me
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Cappuccino - 20 Oct 2019 10:02 PM
For one of our matches at Leichardt last season (against the Mariners) the announced attendance was something similar (~12k) only for the club to clarify later that week that the ticket scanners hadn't functioned properly and there had probably been at least another 3-4k in the ground.

Frankly, I expect the same happened tonight, because Leichardt was absolutely packed. There can't have been more than a few hundred empty seats in the grandstands, and I have no idea how the hill could've fit another 7k people (it looked 80% full at minimum).

Anyway, whatever the figure, it was a cracking atmosphere. If the public transport and parking options weren't so dire it would be a perfect home ground.

Was going to say before that it looked packed, but honestly thought the atmosphere seemed flat watching it on TV for a ground where fans aren’t that far from the field. 

Something about Sydney FC though that I struggle to get is how great their results have been over the last few years but how utterly disinterested I become watching them. 

Tonight was another game they rode their luck but somehow got the result, followed by claims they can do better. Just seems quite often they are flat but get a result.

City Sam
City Sam
World Class
World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)World Class (5.6K reputation)

It is good in principle, not in reality. Melbourne is very centralised and if there is shit transport and nothing to do which is the case when you go further out west absolutely fuck all are going to go.

Team 11 would have been a better area to target if they were going to do it.
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Cappuccino - 20 Oct 2019 10:02 PM
For one of our matches at Leichardt last season (against the Mariners) the announced attendance was something similar (~12k) only for the club to clarify later that week that the ticket scanners hadn't functioned properly and there had probably been at least another 3-4k in the ground. This makes sense - Leichardt doesn't have proper ticket turnstiles and the count is based on individual ground staff scanning tickets from their phones, so it doesn't strike me as all that reliable.

No bullshit the dude tried to scan my membership 3/4 times, gave up and just let me in.

I can't imagine I was the only one..

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

southmelb
southmelb
World Class

The execution is already on the path to failure because the club already has an identity crisis. MV have unlocked more support in that region that they could ever dream of regardless.

As for me not going. I've attended the first ever home games of collingwood and carlton in the nsl, and Victory/heart in the A league. WU are the first i havent been to..of all those teams i mentioned the WU crowd was the lowest of the 4..2 of those clubs dont exist anymore and 1 has been repackaged. Its going to take something pretty miraculous to make this work.
bettega
bettega
World Class

southmelb - 21 Oct 2019 5:45 AM

As for me not going. I've attended the first ever home games of collingwood and carlton in the nsl, and Victory/heart in the A league. WU are the first i havent been to..of all those teams i mentioned the WU crowd was the lowest of the 4..2 of those clubs dont exist anymore and 1 has been repackaged. Its going to take something pretty miraculous to make this work.

That's the  very best stat I have seen for a while.

WU's debut home game  was even smaller than two new NSL sides that crashed and burned in very quick succession.

aussie pride
aussie pride
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

southmelb - 21 Oct 2019 5:45 AM

The execution is already on the path to failure because the club already has an identity crisis. MV have unlocked more support in that region that they could ever dream of regardless.

That's cool to hear you went to them games.
I've tried doing a google images search of how they configured the pitch as these grounds, how the game looked from the stands etc?
There really is limited information on Collingwood Warriors in particular on google so any info or stories you have on them would be much appreciated. From memory their first crowd was really well attended in 96/97 but from book i read that the neutrals were put off by the Heidelberg supporters or something along the lines of this...

Could you give me an insight on what it was like? Happy to get a PM if it goes off topic here.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

jatz - 20 Oct 2019 6:48 PM
Eldar - 20 Oct 2019 11:22 AM

I am confused. Your rationale for a team in Western Melbourne is basically the same as the AFLs rationale for a team in Western Sydney.  Large growing population, relatively light on for sports teams.  The difference is, the money the AFL got for the expansion teams means they can afford to pay for these teams for a very long time.  You expect a more enthusiastic and genuine supporter base for West Melbourne than GWS, based on what?  Why would someone deciding to support an expansion team in Melbourne be more 'genuine' than a fan of an expansion team in Sydney?  What is a more genuine fan anyway?  People routinely scoff at claimed crowd figures for GWS, I have seen claims (no idea of there basis), that the actual WU crowd was under 4000, and that over 60% of the tickets were given away, so a repeat of the GWS playbook. 
If by genuine fans, you mean consistent, died in the wool supporters, the only thing that brings that is time, and GWS has a head start.  At the moment, I would consider GWS fans more 'genuine` - whatever that means.
At the moment, WU is GWS lite, with a lot less certainty around its long term future.  

Yes, my point was to show how the AFL identified an area and backed it with long term vision. While we dont have the millions of dollars and huge media backing of the GWS, we do have an area that at least has an established football following. We would be more like the AFL setting up in Tassy than Western Sydney, where there was no AFL community to speak of, now there would be on the back of GWS.

That's all I meant, sorry if I upset you.

Beaten by Eldar

Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

robstazzz - 18 Oct 2019 5:01 PM

Wow look at all those excuses, you might as well throw the weather into it too.

there is a difference between an excuse and a fact. and the fact is that in Melbourne Heart's first season, Victory's fan base was split into 2. That is undeniable and was one of the major complaints we had about them at the time (that they weren't bringing new fans to the game). after that, we had steady growth until we reached a peak of a 27,000 average when we won the double in 2014-15. Since then we've had a steady decline to a 20,000 average that coincided with the all-round decline of the HAL. 

sydneyfc1987 - 18 Oct 2019 7:43 PM

Yup.

Never understood why Victory fans would tolerate playing at this shithole. 

Many of us don't. there were numerous posts on the Victory pages over the weekend asking why we continue to play games there. We all acknowledge the contracts in place and the money the club makes from Marvel. But I'm of the opinion this is gonna have a long-term negative effect for the club in that people will stop going. If Friday nights game was at AAMI, I am certain we would have pulled a few thousand more through the gate. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Feed_The_Brox
Benched
Benched
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Idk

Yep, a team for ALL OF SYDNEY, plays out of Kogarah and Leichardt.

For the record, how many matches are scheduled for western Sydney while you guys are homeless?
sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

Benched - 21 Oct 2019 11:41 AM

Yep, a team for ALL OF SYDNEY, plays out of Kogarah and Leichardt.

For the record, how many matches are scheduled for western Sydney while you guys are homeless?

We're a football club not a travelling circus.  

The club has stated however they are open to the possibility of a match at Bankwest. I'm all for it.

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
sydneyfc1987 - 21 Oct 2019 12:16 PM

The club has stated however they are open to the possibility of a match at Bankwest. I'm all for it.

No way, that's a shocking idea. Go back to the SCG if you have to but not Bankwest.

Wellington Phoenix FC

sydneyfc1987
sydneyfc1987
Legend

nomates - 21 Oct 2019 12:42 PM

No way, that's a shocking idea. Go back to the SCG if you have to but not Bankwest.

Why not? It's not the Wanderers' stadium. 

(VAR) IS NAVY BLUE

Burztur
Burztur
World Class
World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)World Class (9.4K reputation)

sydneyfc1987 - 21 Oct 2019 12:57 PM

Should play your derby games at BankWest. 
Cappuccino
Cappuccino
Amateur
Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)Amateur (723 reputation)

Burztur - 21 Oct 2019 1:22 PM

Should play your derby games at BankWest. 

Great idea, taking our customary three points off WSW is even more fun away from home.
SUTHERLANDBEAR
SUTHERLANDBEAR
Pro
Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)Pro (3.2K reputation)

Technically it is, and i am well against this idea.
Why are they getting two home derbies two years in a row ?
If our home is Kogarah, then that is where we play it then.
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Its not SFCs either and they don't belong in there. Sydney should head to Campbelltown. What's next Wellington playing home games at Bankwest?.

Wellington Phoenix FC

Benched
Benched
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Typical reply.

You're doing a good job of replicating a travelling circus. SCG, Leichardt, Kogarah and now Bankwest! :P

Before Macarthur join you lot should be shoring up all that so called support you've got out west/ south west. Or have you finally decided to come clean and admit you're East Sydney FC.

As for Bankwest, won't happen. Guarantee we would have something in our users agreement which prevent you lot playing home games there. 
Enjoy ANZ :D
Edited
5 Years Ago by Benched
Benched
Benched
Hacker

SUTHERLANDBEAR - 21 Oct 2019 2:35 PM

Technically it is, and i am well against this idea.
Why are they getting two home derbies two years in a row ?
If our home is Kogarah, then that is where we play it then.

Personally think a derby at Kogarah would be awesome.

When we played in the old Parra Stadium, the derbies were electric because it was full to the brim with 20K. A no brainer really.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search