Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2019-20

Australian Football TV Ratings Season 2019-20

Author
mouflonrouge
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
When are the TV Rights deal up for renegotiation.

I need to get the popcorn ready for that.

libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
mouflonrouge - 23 Oct 2019 12:21 AM
When are the TV Rights deal up for renegotiation.

I need to get the popcorn ready for that.

LOL !

I'll say...
nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 22 Oct 2019 11:32 AM
It's amazing how far Rugby has fallen.
A knockout World Cup game cant get 400k viewers anymore.This is the pinnacle of Rugby and where the money used to come from.
HAL and NBL may have pretty poor figures domestically as well.But they never had great figures.Rugby used to get well over a million.
As for Netball and WBBL,they may have greater ratings than HAL and NBL,but still they are pretty poor .All these sports are not money makers for FTA.All just fillers .

Cum again? Rugby got near 800k all up (Ch10/Fox) when everyone watching knew they had no chance at winning. Socceroos got a pissant 32k last game. Football is dying just like HAL - just wait till the ARU get there next TV deal in Dec that will show soccer/football is done and dusted. 

Wellington Phoenix FC

jatz
jatz
Hacker
Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)Hacker (375 reputation)

Georgeg - 22 Oct 2019 11:01 AM
jatz - 22 Oct 2019 12:00 AM

Best female cricketers in the world? A pack of part-timers claiming best of is laughable! And demonstrates Australian mentality for top of the minor sports. Is this used to help reinforce our apparent 'sporting prowess' as we cannot achieve it in the real global games. 

A pack of part timers??  Australian contracted internationals are getting an AVERAGE pay of $170K+, rising to $220K by 2021.  Even state players will be getting $50K+.
Top players can also play in the English version of the WBBL for even more money.  So no, not part timers.  Pay dwarfs W-league, who really are a pack of part timers, and have to leave the country to be full professionals.

The WBBL also cherry picks the best overseas players.

Best players stroke play rivals the men, Lannings technique stands scrutiny against the best male players.

International participation rates, and income generated also put it in the international big leagues, unless your one of those sports fans that considers any sport that isnt football to be minor.

Australian mentality also consists a desire to be top in the sports we like, obviously not many people read the memo that said they had to get approval from Georgeg before they could invest themselves in a sport that wasn't football, so on behalf of the country, grovelling apologies for liking a sport you do not.
Mark457
Mark457
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

jatz - 23 Oct 2019 3:02 AM
Georgeg - 22 Oct 2019 11:01 AM

A pack of part timers??  Australian contracted internationals are getting an AVERAGE pay of $170K+, rising to $220K by 2021.  Even state players will be getting $50K+.
Top players can also play in the English version of the WBBL for even more money.  So no, not part timers.  Pay dwarfs W-league, who really are a pack of part timers, and have to leave the country to be full professionals.

The WBBL also cherry picks the best overseas players.

Best players stroke play rivals the men, Lannings technique stands scrutiny against the best male players.

International participation rates, and income generated also put it in the international big leagues, unless your one of those sports fans that considers any sport that isnt football to be minor.

Australian mentality also consists a desire to be top in the sports we like, obviously not many people read the memo that said they had to get approval from Georgeg before they could invest themselves in a sport that wasn't football, so on behalf of the country, grovelling apologies for liking a sport you do not.

Best in the world is a stretch when there is no world to make a comparative. 2 years ago this sport didn’t exist now there is a best of. Straight out of the Primary School everyone is a winner. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

nomates - 23 Oct 2019 12:50 AM

Cum again? 

You've really gotta stop talking about dicking teams and cum
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

6th LIVE: FOOTBALL: FFA CUP: FINAL ADL V MCY FOX SPORTS 50540,000

13LIVE: FOOTBALL: FFA CUP POST GAMEFOX SPORTS 50530,000

TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker
Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 24 Oct 2019 10:10 AM

that is bloody awful
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

That’s about average for an A League game (a bit lower than if the 3-4 big teams were involved). 

It is ckear that “we love the FFA Cup” isn’t translating into viewership or attendance. And while Adelaide loves a Cup Final - what’s the attendance for a home Cup game like?? 
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Davide82 - 23 Oct 2019 11:37 AM

You've really gotta stop talking about dicking teams and cum

It's very Freudian. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Waz - 24 Oct 2019 1:39 PM

That’s about average for an A League game (a bit lower than if the 3-4 big teams were involved). 

It is ckear that “we love the FFA Cup” isn’t translating into viewership or attendance. And while Adelaide loves a Cup Final - what’s the attendance for a home Cup game like?? 

Last one was about 5k when most of our home games last season were about 8k so not that bad really (comparatively I mean) for a Tuesday night.

How many people do you want going to these games when even top draw league games aren't pulling crowds ffs

You can do what you like about letting NPL teams play at homes with no lights or not allowing an NPL team a path to the semi finals (both things i agree with you about) but it's not going to mean the cup games are packed houses every round or that we will get more tv coverage etc.

As it stands United beat two 2nd div. sides and 2 A-League sides on the way to a cup final and that likely wouldn't have changed in your dream scenario either.

the fact remains that if Brisbane were not so shit in this comp you wouldn't feel as strongly about it. You can deny it all you want and you would like to think youd feel the same but you wouldn't. Just like as a united supporter my views are skewed as we have great memories (even the GF loss in Sydney was an amazing game). As i say I agree with the fact it needs tweaking but it's not JUST a pre-season comp.

Those NPL teams to get to the Rd32 all deserved to be there and played a proper nation wide cup just like any in the world. The rigging that happens to allow 1 npl team in the semi after that is pointless now but besides that your views on whats wrong with it are so minor and petty and the stronger you word it the pettier and sillier it makes you sound.

You have backed yourself in a  corner and are starting to sound like a dick just coz you feel you have to stick to your guns.
Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I feel like the FFA Cup is finally starting to grow in stature. It was great to see the Adelaide players showing how much it means to them in front of a great crowd. This game should definitely be on FTA.

Beaten by Eldar

crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

Cum again? Rugby got near 800k all up (Ch10/Fox) when everyone watching knew they had no chance at winning. Socceroos got a pissant 32k last game. Football is dying just like HAL - just wait till the ARU get there next TV deal in Dec that will show soccer/football is done and dusted. 

Read and weep as you cruise down that long river called De Nile.
webkit-fake-url://a17b7763-7cf4-4526-93d5-fed2bcc286dd/imagepng
Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Davide82 - 24 Oct 2019 2:19 PM
Waz - 24 Oct 2019 1:39 PM

Last one was about 5k when most of our home games last season were about 8k so not that bad really (comparatively I mean) for a Tuesday night.

How many people do you want going to these games when even top draw league games aren't pulling crowds ffs

You can do what you like about letting NPL teams play at homes with no lights or not allowing an NPL team a path to the semi finals (both things i agree with you about) but it's not going to mean the cup games are packed houses every round or that we will get more tv coverage etc.

As it stands United beat two 2nd div. sides and 2 A-League sides on the way to a cup final and that likely wouldn't have changed in your dream scenario either.

the fact remains that if Brisbane were not so shit in this comp you wouldn't feel as strongly about it. You can deny it all you want and you would like to think youd feel the same but you wouldn't. Just like as a united supporter my views are skewed as we have great memories (even the GF loss in Sydney was an amazing game). As i say I agree with the fact it needs tweaking but it's not JUST a pre-season comp.

Those NPL teams to get to the Rd32 all deserved to be there and played a proper nation wide cup just like any in the world. The rigging that happens to allow 1 npl team in the semi after that is pointless now but besides that your views on whats wrong with it are so minor and petty and the stronger you word it the pettier and sillier it makes you sound.

You have backed yourself in a  corner and are starting to sound like a dick just coz you feel you have to stick to your guns.

I didn’t get your anger or your insults to be honest, and irrespective of how much you disagree with me there’s no need for it .... you twat !!

(see what you made me do now!?) 

I don’t believe the FFA Cup crowds and viewing are adequate for its survival and there’s no papering over the cracks. How long can the FFA fund it for? 
Glory Recruit
Glory Recruit
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I wonder what the plan is when Fox ditch us, is a NBL style deal viable for the A-league? I presume we have higher costs than the NBL, can we cover the production costs etc.

Hopefully by some miracle Optus pick us up.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2019/10/23/mls-tv-ratings-slump-19-regular-season-playoffs-take-nosedive/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

MLS TV ratings slump 19% during regular season; Playoffs take a nosedive

While MLS TV ratings continue to decline year over year, the 2019 regular MLS season saw a greater average viewing audience on Spanish-language television than the English-language TV networks. Univision networks averaged 238,000 viewers for MLS games compared to 203,000 viewers on FOX Sports and ESPN combined. Having said that, MLS viewership on Univision networks dropped 17% in 2019 compared to 2018.

The downward trend of MLS TV ratings continues on FOX Sports where viewing numbers averaged 223,294 in 2019 compared to 235,581 in 2016, which is a 5.2% decline.

While the likelihood of promotion/relegation ever happening in MLS is a pipe dream given the league’s business model, the league needs to address how diluted the product is when you have 29 teams and growing.

It’s more likely that the league will continue to expand until they have 20 teams in the Western Conference and 20 more in the Eastern Conference. Given that generating expansion fees is the number one goal for the league, it’s no wonder that TV ratings are unimportant to them. After all, when MLS TV rights are combined with the U.S. national teams as they have been for years, it means that MLS TV rights are subsidized by the US Soccer Federation. If the MLS rights were uncoupled from the U.S. national team contracts, MLS would then have to sink or swim, and to make serious changes.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

Waz - 24 Oct 2019 5:58 PM
Davide82 - 24 Oct 2019 2:19 PM

I didn’t get your anger or your insults to be honest, and irrespective of how much you disagree with me there’s no need for it .... you twat !!

(see what you made me do now!?) 

I don’t believe the FFA Cup crowds and viewing are adequate for its survival and there’s no papering over the cracks. How long can the FFA fund it for? 

You commented/trolled (the minute after the cup ended though supposedly you weren't watching) several times about the cup being a joke, needs to go, thank god its over etc etc and you have been negative about it for a long time

It started because you had to excuse, along with aloisi, why losing didn't matter and it was just a warm up for the season.

For the record i said you are starting to sound like a dick, not that you are a dick. There's a difference. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by Davide82
Feed_The_Brox
Feed_The_Brox
Pro
Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)Pro (3.4K reputation)

TheRealFootballSupporter - 24 Oct 2019 10:31 AM

that is bloody awful

but did anyone know it was on? it really should be on a stand alone weekend and promoted the shit out of. If we reverted to a September-April HAL season, we could theoretically hold the FFA cup final the weekend after the HAL GF. But I don't think the FFA rate it highly enough to do more with the product. 

GDeathe
GDeathe
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

IS IT SO FUCKING HARD FOR YOU KAYO ONLY BASTARDS TO LEAVE YOUR TV ON AND ON CHANNEL 2 WHEN THE FUCKING GAME IS ON? 
crimsoncrusoe
crimsoncrusoe
World Class
World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)World Class (7.1K reputation)

The way the FFA has been structured it is clearly a pre -season cup.So the final should be played at the start of the season,when NPL clubs are still fit.
The further you move the Final into the regular season,you change the whole ethos of the Cup.You have in form HAL teams and out of form NPL teams.
Play the final earlier and you are more likely to have younger players and less visa players playing.

overroared
overroared
Amateur
Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)Amateur (573 reputation)

crimsoncrusoe - 25 Oct 2019 11:43 AM
The way the FFA has been structured it is clearly a pre -season cup.So the final should be played at the start of the season,when NPL clubs are still fit.
The further you move the Final into the regular season,you change the whole ethos of the Cup.You have in form HAL teams and out of form NPL teams.
Play the final earlier and you are more likely to have younger players and less visa players playing.

Absolutely right. Gives a final crescendo if a NPL club makes it to the final, and a great leader for the Aleague season commencement.

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)World Class (9.9K reputation)

Last nights game got 40k be interesting to see what the derby gets 
bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

GDeathe - 25 Oct 2019 11:19 AM
IS IT SO FUCKING HARD FOR YOU KAYO ONLY BASTARDS TO LEAVE YOUR TV ON AND ON CHANNEL 2 WHEN THE FUCKING GAME IS ON? 

Ratings dont work that way

Only those with a ratings box counts, and its unlikely they'll give ratings boxes to families who dont regularly watch FTA

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Melbcityguy - 26 Oct 2019 11:33 AM
Last nights game got 40k be interesting to see what the derby gets 

Not bad for a pretty uninspiring game that was up against a Rugby Leagur trans-tasman test.

Beaten by Eldar

nomates
nomates
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

I'm predicting-
England v All Blacks - 700k
WSW v SFC - 25k

Wellington Phoenix FC

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

nomates - 27 Oct 2019 9:22 AM
I'm predicting-
England v All Blacks - 700k
WSW v SFC - 25k

i would expect the A-League to push above 30k

bluebird
bluebird
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Saturday A-League ABC
Newcastle Jets v Adelaide United
49,000 (Metro)

TheRealFootballSupporter
TheRealFootballSupporter
Hacker
Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)Hacker (380 reputation)

Sydney derby 48k fox
jets vs adl 22k Fox 
bettega
bettega
World Class

All round, those ratings aren't too bad.
It looks like 50k has become our new ceiling, for both FTA and Fox.

bluebird
bluebird
Legend

bettega - 27 Oct 2019 11:39 AM
All round, those ratings aren't too bad.
It looks like 50k has become our new ceiling, for both FTA and Fox.

Yeah, pretty good ratings. To be honest I'm so overwhelmed I cried a little

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search