Official AUFC Thread

Official AUFC Thread

Author
a1118868
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Replacing Diego has to be a priority as well. The one thing our team really needs to complete Viddie's preferred formation is a quality attacking central midfielder who can play in the hole.

What's Pablo Aimar doing these days? :lol:
Victory.Spurs
Victory.Spurs
Fan
Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)Fan (93 reputation)

Huge game for both of our teams on Jan 6. The premiership will be decided in this game which I am sure will be very entertaining between the 2 best football clubs in the country. Congrats to all Red fans for your teams display in the recent tournaments! (Yes this is coming from a Victory support).
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

I wouldn't be to sure about that anymore (Adelaide v Victory Final) looking at the results Victory have played out in the last few weeks.

If we beat Victory on the 6th it'll be tough for them to catch us again :cool:

GoYouReds
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Well its painfully obvious that Adelaide will make it to the GF this year.
So any predictions on the opposition? I think Queensland.

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Just like 2nd placed Melb were suppose to beat last placed Newcastle?

Anything happens in sport and neither I or the boys will take it lightly
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

marconi101 wrote:
Well its painfully obvious that Adelaide will make it to the GF this year.
So any predictions on the opposition? I think Queensland.

Don't do that to us, M101! There's nothing ever definite in football. We might win the real Premiership but the Grand Final (stupid format that it is, producing a non-champion) is always going to be a lottery. Our finals format is a Cup competition and no real reward for the best team of the season. I like Cup Comps but that's what they are. The Champions or Premiers are the team who have finished top of the table after the seasons games are over.
Now I'll duck for cover.....
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

What is this thread doing on the 2nd page AUFC fans! Get cracking with your posts! :whip:

Now what about the table? OMG I am amazed that we are still top of the table with 2! 2! games in hand! Great work from the bottom 4 to keep everyone else chasing us. Now we need to beat PG on boxing day to start to open the gap.

BTW I feel real sorry for the boys to be travelling on Christmas Day. That has got to suck. Thank you very much AUFC for such a huge sacrifice and the fans appreciate it!

Don't worry Stephen I agree entirely, but they have made it the way they have for a reason and we will have to deal with it. I would prefer the premier to be the premier and have an entirely seperate Cup comp but will have to take what we are given.

As for where we end up, or anyone else for that matter, I will only make predictions in the appropriate thread - just in case!

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

pippinu
pippinu
World Class
World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)World Class (5.7K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Two games in hand - I reckon the premiership is as good as yours.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

Thanks Pips, but we have some potential banana skins on the way, hopefully everyone is fully fit by the PG game!

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1K reputation)

Could be tough playing Perth with this new Sikora guy playing but according to Kosmina :roll: we should give them a thrashing and when I say we'll give them a thrashing we won't lose 4-1 :roll:
AUFC4eva
AUFC4eva
Under 7s
Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)Under 7s (15 reputation)

I'm a bit worried about next season with the possibility of losing Dodd, Cassio, Ognenovski, Galeckovic, and maybe even Jamieson.

Players like Dodd and Cassio will not be properly replaced if they leave. We've seen it before in season 3 where Melbourne replaced Fred with Hernandez... If Dodd and/or Cassio leave we will probably pick up some Brazilian or Central American who can apparently play. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against these players but we've seen time and time again clubs sign players from these areas stating that they would win the championship for their team or something like that. Remember Denni, Cleberson, Patrick, maybe even Marcinho?? This must not happen to Adelaide. I think if all else fails, sign one as our marquee. If Agostino is of marquee quality then most of the team is. Agostino came here giving the supporters such high hopes but then he went and got injured what? 6 times?? I dearly hope we finish 1st this season... especially after last season where we were in brilliant form, top of the table, and looking good but then we managed to fall to 6th by the end of the season #-o. And i don't know if you guys have seen Jamieson much but he plays with so much effort and commitment backed with enourmous talent... he will be playing in the Socceroos soon.

And to finish it off...COME ON YOU REDS!!
Ted Jefferys
Ted Jefferys
Semi-Pro

Yeah, We have to worry. I'm especially worrying about Sasa. In my eyes he is the best central defender in the league, I've never seen him lose a tackle. Hopefully the reason Fyfe is coming down isn't because Ognenovski's departure is near.

We seem to do okay with Cassio when we don't have him but he's a big part of our team now that he's been moved into the midfield. Maybe Diego will have to step up if Cassio leaves but I'm not sure if he's up to it.

We are not going to stop Dodd, he should be in Japan in the next couple of years. Maybe we'll have to hand him the marquee? I'd have to say I'd rather find another player from Asia to be our marquee.

COME ON YOU REDS, UNITED I STAND, YOU MAKE US PROUD.
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.9K reputation)

Agree with most there but just as our performance sees our stars go on to better things, it makes AU look like an attractive prosect for people comming here too

There are plenty of good player in euopre like Jammo who cant get a game... they'd may think 'If going to the a-leauge helped him, it could help me too"

anyways - Im really worried about this game at perth, they have found form at the right time and are probally weary from the looooong year we have had

Will Cassio, Ogga and TD play you think?
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

I think our boys will be up for this game big time. They know that people are looking for them to put in a tired performance after the CWC and especially after the Glory thumped Sydney. I expect a very committed side to go out there and close down Perth while knocking a few in. I'd love a 3-1 or 4-2 win (just for some goals) but I'd happily take a solid 1-0 to us and three points in the bank.

As for players leaving, I guess that's in their hands. I think it'd be a mistake for Dodd to go. Great for his bank balance but I wonder how good for his family and his confidence. Becoming captain has done wonders for him and he's a much loved, star performer now. Same with Cassio, Og and Jamo. Do you leave a place where you're happy and the fans really care about you? Maybe, if the money is just too good. Maybe not if life-style matters to you and your family.

But if they do go then - as UnitedGal says - there are other players out there. We've recruited well so far and there's no reason we won't again. I want that man Manso from Liga de Quito. Imagine him as a replacement for Diego!! \:d/
marconi101
marconi101
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Speaking of Diego. There hasnt been any big rumours coming out recently about him. Is there some in Adelaide or is he certain to go to Sydney? :-k

He was a man of specific quirks. He believed that all meals should be earned through physical effort. He also contended, zealously like a drunk with a political point, that the third dimension would not be possible if it werent for the existence of water.

JT
JT
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

Manso would be a great replacement for Deigo doubt he'll you'd be able to get him under the cap, maybe when Agostino leaves he could be your new marquee?

Oh and why would Deigo want to go to Sydney?
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro

Can't think why he'd want to go to Sydney at all. Especially not now. Can see why they'd want him though.

I don't hear rumours. I wait for announcements. I rate Diego but he's on and off. Manso would be very nice but our chances are slim. When you announce yourself at a big tournament plenty of people are watching. But he's been around a while. Maybe he'd be interested in Australia. With him pulling strings in attacking midfield and Cristiano and a young, fast striker we'd be looking dangerous, Not that we aren't already! :)
marconi101
marconi101
Legend

Manso would be excellent. But there probably is larger interest OS in him. Watch this space, anything can happen in football.
Last rumours I heard of Diego were the ones with Sydney and a possible Kossie reunion. But judging on his performances, SFC's performances and Kossie's current stance I think that deal is impossible. He may still stay with Adelaide. You never know.

a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.5K reputation)

Diego is reportedly on the verge of signing for Pohang Steelers, despite overtures from 2 A-League clubs. I've updated my squad status post to include new details regarding Diego, Valkanis and Spagnuolo.
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

A nice story I heard about AUFC - one that makes me really proud of my club and the way they handle themselves both on and off the pitch.

A 14 year old fan was feeling very ill and diagnosed with lymphoma (or something similar - I am a couple of steps removed from the story so am a bit fuzzy on some of the finer details). His father immediately left his job to tend to his son.

A colleague of the boy's father called AUFC to ask if there was any possibility of having a jersey signed for the boy. The girl on the desk said that the players had just done their latest round of merchandise work, but would see what she could do in the circumstances. The colleague was put on hold, and a few seconds later the girl came back and said that they would make something happen, the only glitch being that the players were already in Japan for the Club World Cup.

As it turned out, there was one member of the AUFC delegation who hadn't yet gone to Japan. (S)he took a jersey up to Japan, and all the players signed it before their first game against Waitakere. They then carried the jersey around Japan with them throughout the tournament before bringing it home and giving it to the boy.

By all reports, the club went to extraordinary lengths to ensure all this happened, and needless to say the boy and his family were thrilled and very moved by the gesture of the club.
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro

Great Story there a1118868=d>

a1118868 wrote:
Diego is reportedly on the verge of signing for Pohang Steelers, despite overtures from 2 A-League clubs. I've updated my squad status post to include new details regarding Diego, Valkanis and Spagnuolo.

for that we should sign him and get a nice litle transfer fee :p

dont forget folks the game starts 10pm Adelaide Time due to the time difference (2 to 2 1/2hrs ahead)
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro

Phew! what a hard fought win that was....great teams win ugly as well as pretty \:d/

Man what a save from Eugeane - you would be nuts to say he isnt the best keeper in the Comp. Reid and Travis were their ususal hard working self, wonerfull defending from Cornflakes (or shall I call him just right :-" ) and Oga and that was Sarkies best ever game in a reds shirt

both catchup games vs Victory and Roar will be vital - win those and we have top spot all sorted
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

Have updated my squad movement post on page 1 - Costanzo seems almost certain to sign for Newcastle after reportedly refusing to play for the youth team against the Glory. Discuss.
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro

thats really poor form from Ange and I expected better from one of our leaders and besides his form wasnt the best and Cornflakes is improving with every game so really Robbie needed to be picked ahead of him.

Newcastle can have him TBH
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro

Totally understandable if Ange has the shits about being dropped for a player he thinks is worse than him. Also pretty fair if he's upset about being asked to play with guys who are half his age (and twice as fast). Totally understandable if he was an amateur player who was in it for the fun. As a professional who gets a paycheck each week from the club I think he may be obliged to swallow his pride and just get on with it.

Of course, this might all be a nasty rumour. I think it sounds unlikely but stranger things have happened.

As for letting him go, I just hope he gets a great send off. He's been a fantastic servant of the club and incredibly reliable and skillful for most of the time. One tantrum - if it happened - doesn't outweigh his contribution. Doesn't even come close.

Keep the AU thread up there! :)
UnitedGal
UnitedGal
Semi-Pro

in someways you are right but nobody is bigger than the club and senior players need to act accordingly

if its true you look how Ange is behaving as appose to Micky V...Micky has handled himself with Class...Ange is being all petulant
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro

Volcano has acted very well, although I'd not like to have been Viddie behind closed doors.

What I'm saying is that we don't know if the rumour is true and Ange has been too loyal a clubman to bag before getting the facts straight. If he refused to play he should be docked wages. Totally unprofessional despite the fact he's annoyed.

But football is alive with rumours that may or may not be true and I'm hoping this one isn't on the money.

If he goes to the Jets next year we can have a go then. Imagine him and Joel G 'discussing' tactics! :)
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

To be honest, if Ange leaves I can understand that. He's lost his place, he still thinks he has a lot to offer (which he does) and doesn't want to waste the twilight of his career on the bench. I will be annoyed though if he leaves in January as is being suggested in the Advertiser, because he is definitely our 1st reserve centre back and we will need him if/when Cornthwaite or Og get injured and/or suspended.

I would never boo him, but I don't think I would give Ange the same warm reception I would give someone like Spags, for example, when he comes back as a NQF player.
a1118868
a1118868
Semi-Pro

oh and jessesdad, Val Migliaccio is virtually an employee of Adelaide United. I don't think there's any such thing as "rumour" where his reporting is concerned. Unfortunately I think this is the absolute truth.
Jessesdad
Jessesdad
Pro

a1118868 wrote:
oh and jessesdad, Val Migliaccio is virtually an employee of Adelaide United. I don't think there's any such thing as "rumour" where his reporting is concerned. Unfortunately I think this is the absolute truth.

Yeah abignumber, Val is often on the money but he's still a reporter for a b-grade tabloid that masquerades as a newspaper. He's paid to write what people will read (bit like naming a blog "We All Love Sarkies" :oops: ). I geuss I just hope this one is inaccurate.

Ange better not go in January. Like you say, one injury and he's a definite starter. In fact,with the games to catch up I wouldn't be surprised to see him start one or two anyway. Whoever picks him up gets a good player.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search