Where does Riley McGree fit into the Socceroos line up

Where does Riley McGree fit into the Socceroos line up

Author
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Bunch of Hacks - 26 Nov 2019 9:23 AM
McGree is just amother reason why Irvine and leckie need to be converted to CF and right back respectively. We just have so many options now at CM, AM, and Wing. I think both those guys could be top international standard in those positions 

Currently, his position is left right out with the suspension from all national team activity.

And he won't be anything but a bench-warmer until he returns to Europe and proves himself. He returned to the A-league after failing in Europe.
He may take on minnows and do well but his shortcomings would be found out by any south American team and the likes of Japan and South Korea. 
So left right out is the correct position
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

robbos - 25 Nov 2019 2:25 PM
New Signing - 25 Nov 2019 2:14 PM

Matthew Leckie, 28 years old, 63 caps for Socceroos says hello.

technically not even near Arzani or Hrustic.. once his pace has gone it will difficult for him..

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

McGree is just amother reason why Irvine and leckie need to be converted to CF and right back respectively. We just have so many options now at CM, AM, and Wing. I think both those guys could be top international standard in those positions 

Leckie has played right back for the Socceroos previously I'm pretty sure. 
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Paul01 - 26 Nov 2019 11:20 AM

Currently, his position is left right out with the suspension from all national team activity.

And he won't be anything but a bench-warmer until he returns to Europe and proves himself. He returned to the A-league after failing in Europe.
He may take on minnows and do well but his shortcomings would be found out by any south American team and the likes of Japan and South Korea. 
So left right out is the correct position

Aha you really don't like him do you

Paul01
Paul01
Pro
Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)Pro (3K reputation)

Davide82 - 26 Nov 2019 1:55 PM
Paul01 - 26 Nov 2019 11:20 AM

Aha you really don't like him do you

No. I don't believe that he currently skillful enough to compete with top class players until he is playing regularly in Europe.

The only goal against a top 4 opposition this season against Melbourne City.
The other goals against Newcastle, Central Coast and Melbourne Victory (who this season seem to leaking goals)
Davide82
Davide82
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Paul01 - 26 Nov 2019 2:34 PM
Davide82 - 26 Nov 2019 1:55 PM

No. I don't believe that he currently skillful enough to compete with top class players until he is playing regularly in Europe.

The only goal against a top 4 opposition this season against Melbourne City.
The other goals against Newcastle, Central Coast and Melbourne Victory (who this season seem to leaking goals)

I've just noticed you commenting on him a lot lately (calling for bigger punishments etc) that's all.

Paul01
Paul01
Pro

Davide82 - 26 Nov 2019 2:54 PM
Paul01 - 26 Nov 2019 2:34 PM

I've just noticed you commenting on him a lot lately (calling for bigger punishments etc) that's all.

He should have got the same ban as the others plus as Captain he should have known better.
But Arnie let the boys off the leash.
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 26 Nov 2019 12:28 PM

Leckie has played right back for the Socceroos previously I'm pretty sure. 

He played RWB under anges 3421 system and was probably our best player during this period. Likewise has been used there on occasion for Hertha also with great success.
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Pick him as the backup 10. Irvine can be a back up to Mooy while Hrustic can pay on the right. It is possible to be able to include all of McGree, Rogic, Irvine, Hrustic, Arzani and Mabil in the squad but we would have to only pick two striker and not three.

This is the squad I'd select:

Ryan
Grant Degenek Sainsbury Smith
Mooy Jeggo
Leckie Rogic Arzani
Taggart

With a second XI of:

Vukovic/Langerak
Risdon Wright Jurman Elder
Irvine Luongo
Hrustic McGree Mabil or Ikon
Maclaren

sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Paul01 - 26 Nov 2019 2:56 PM
Davide82 - 26 Nov 2019 2:54 PM

He should have got the same ban as the others plus as Captain he should have known better.
But Arnie let the boys off the leash.

How could you possibly argue that when you don't know exactly what happened or the extent that each player was involved?
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

An interesting prospect of Arzani and Mcgree backed up by Mooy and Irvine.

Could be a quality midfield
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

sub007 - 26 Nov 2019 9:28 PM
Pick him as the backup 10. Irvine can be a back up to Mooy while Hrustic can pay on the right. It is possible to be able to include all of McGree, Rogic, Irvine, Hrustic, Arzani and Mabil in the squad but we would have to only pick two striker and not three.

Ryan
Mooy Jeggo
Leckie Rogic Arzani
Taggart

With a second XI of:

Vukovic/Langerak
Irvine Luongo
Maclaren

Agree with this. He can certainly be included but it will require a reshuffle of either Irvine to DM or to CF, Arzani to LW and Hrustic to RW. Mcgree thereby would be backup AM to Rogic. To be honest my 4 CM/DM's at this point would be Mooy and Irvine starters, with Luongo and Holland as backups. McGree backup no10 as mentioned above.  
Edited
5 Years Ago by Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Ryan
Mooy Jeggo
Leckie Rogic Arzani
Taggart

With a second XI of:

Vukovic/Langerak
Irvine Luongo
Maclaren

My squad would be:

Starting:
                   Ryan
Leckie  Dege  Sains   Smith
            Mooy  Irvine
Boyle        Rogic      Arzani
               Taggart

In squad backups:
            Vukovic/ Langers
Grant    Milligan   Jurman     Behich
             Holland   Luongo
Hrustic         McGree           Mabil
                    McLaren

Emergencies to squad:
                     Dunno
  Risdon, Wright, Meredith, Elder 
               Jeggo, B Oneill,   
  Borrello        Ikon           Goodwin
                    Dykes

Edited
5 Years Ago by Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

Who does McGree remind you all of? 

I can't readily think of a player he is like. He is a great dribbler, very solid/aggressive over the ball, not quick but very agile/sharp with turning with the ball a bit like Hrustic, and has a booming shot. 
I think i'd have to say the closest player he reminds me of is Joe Cole. Maybe Bresch as well, who Hrustic also reminds me off prob more so than McgRee. Maybe a bit of Steven Gerrard too with the aggression and the shooting

What do you guys think?  
New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Leave Grant out and play Irvine as a right back with Leckie as back up to him. That way you still gain the advantages Irvine offers with his aerial ability, strong running, speed etc
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

.Riley McGREE (knee) anyone know how long he is injured till? 
jeggohouse
jeggohouse
Rising Star
Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)Rising Star (866 reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 27 Nov 2019 7:05 AM
Who does McGree remind you all of? 

I can't readily think of a player he is like. He is a great dribbler, very solid/aggressive over the ball, not quick but very agile/sharp with turning with the ball a bit like Hrustic, and has a booming shot. 
I think i'd have to say the closest player he reminds me of is Joe Cole. Maybe Bresch as well, who Hrustic also reminds me off prob more so than McgRee. Maybe a bit of Steven Gerrard too with the aggression and the shooting

What do you guys think?  

He's actually really quick. 
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

irvine as a RB or a #6? no. no. nope.

irvine's a 10. or a very attacking 8. he would be more suited as a second striker - probably even a #9 - than as a RB or #6

he did a job as a #6 for the NT and there was nothing but moaning about him on this forum. 

imo irvine should be treated like a cahill. probably similar to a "Raumdeuter"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsJo7ZKdjQ

Edited
5 Years Ago by inala brah
sub007
sub007
World Class

jeggohouse - 5 Dec 2019 4:21 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 27 Nov 2019 7:05 AM

He's actually really quick. 

Given he's quicker than Mileusnic, he's probably Australia's quickest footballer.
Edited
5 Years Ago by sub007
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

Bunch of Hacks - 27 Nov 2019 6:10 AM

My squad would be:

Starting:
                   Ryan
Leckie  Dege  Sains   Smith
            Mooy  Irvine
Boyle        Rogic      Arzani
               Taggart

In squad backups:
            Vukovic/ Langers
Grant    Milligan   Jurman     Behich
             Holland   Luongo
Hrustic         McGree           Mabil
                    McLaren

Emergencies to squad:
                     Dunno
  Risdon, Wright, Meredith, Elder 
               Jeggo, B Oneill,   
  Borrello        Ikon           Goodwin
                    Dykes

There are no real DMs in here except for O'Neill, Jefgo at a pinch and Milligan who you have as a CB. Most of the players you have nominally as DMs operate more as box to box midfielders.

Notably 2 of those don't make your squad and the other is a coveribg CB.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

Riley McGree should model his game on Saul from Atletico Madrid, left footed, box to box and with a lot of energy.
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

patjennings - 5 Dec 2019 5:00 PM
Bunch of Hacks - 27 Nov 2019 6:10 AM

There are no real DMs in here except for O'Neill, Jefgo at a pinch and Milligan who you have as a CB. Most of the players you have nominally as DMs operate more as box to box midfielders.

Notably 2 of those don't make your squad and the other is a coveribg CB.

no one really watches luongo huh... he was playing a deep lying 6 for ages.. barely got over the half way line
Edited
5 Years Ago by jas88
WSF
WSF
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Swipe right
Aljay
Aljay
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

inala brah - 5 Dec 2019 4:47 PM

irvine's a 10. or a very attacking 8. he would be more suited as a second striker - probably even a #9 - than as a RB or #6

he did a job as a #6 for the NT and there was nothing but moaning about him on this forum. 

Yep
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
inala brah - 5 Dec 2019 4:47 PM

Similar to Toivonen, really. Second striker, rather than number 10.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search