Where does Riley McGree fit into the Socceroos line up

Where does Riley McGree fit into the Socceroos line up

Author
Tbone
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Since McGree is becoming the stand out player this year in the ALeague I can see him moving on to a european side next year and becoming a great player but where does he fit into the Socceroos line up? 
Is he back up to Rogic? Or Mooy? As attacking mid?
we still have Arzani to squeeze in over the next year and Hrustic as well.... these players look to become beast if they continue there form! 
Who gets pushed out over the next few years before World Cup?
Thoughts

D_manu
D_manu
Hacker
Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)

I think he could perhaps be a role player and slot into that Irvine kind of role when he played AMC. Like Irvine he is not a typical number 10. But funnily enough Arnold's sides have generally looked better when stuck with less creativity on the park and more of a disciplined/create pressure and convert efficiently type of style. If that makes sense haha. 

I think if he keeps on progressing, he could make that spot his and benefit from a player like Arzani out wide who will demand the ball, and blistering speed of Boyle on the other. 
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

D_manu - 25 Nov 2019 11:12 AM
I think he could perhaps be a role player and slot into that Irvine kind of role when he played AMC. Like Irvine he is not a typical number 10. But funnily enough Arnold's sides have generally looked better when stuck with less creativity on the park and more of a disciplined/create pressure and convert efficiently type of style. If that makes sense haha. 

I think if he keeps on progressing, he could make that spot his and benefit from a player like Arzani out wide who will demand the ball, and blistering speed of Boyle on the other. 

Bocca
Bocca
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.1K reputation)

I see him more as a goal scoring box to box midfielder than attacking midfielder. He could play alongside Mooy or sub on for Mooy depending on the opponent or tactics.
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

In the hole so he can repeatedly attack the box with his penetrating movements.

rusty
rusty
World Class
World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)World Class (6.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I dont watch much of Adelaide is Mcgree a genuine talent who could play in the EPL or is he more an industrious type of player like Irvine who runs around a lot and occasionally pops up to score a few goals?
jas88
jas88
World Class
World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)World Class (6K reputation)

not an area we need to desperately improve... better off letting him grow up abit... its clear his issue at Brugge wasn't his talent but a mentality thing.... they play youngsters regularly... looks at Charles De Ketelaere.

Edited
5 Years Ago by jas88
Footballking55
Footballking55
Pro
Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)Pro (3.3K reputation)

rusty - 25 Nov 2019 12:49 PM
I dont watch much of Adelaide is Mcgree a genuine talent who could play in the EPL or is he more an industrious type of player like Irvine who runs around a lot and occasionally pops up to score a few goals?

I have been surprised by his creativity this year. Yes, very industrious (good word) but has that bit extra over someone like Irvine. May lack in heading ability vis a vis Irvine, but that can be addressed, as we have seen with Maclaren. Roar supporter if you haven't seen my posts.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)World Class (7K reputation)

I don't he will be considered until the next round of qualifiers. He has the Olympics in July - August 2020 if we qualify.
Josh
Josh
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

He works well when he is joined by mutilple players in the box and can work collectively to unlock the hole 
Tbone
Tbone
Hacker
Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)Hacker (417 reputation)

Could he play a defensive midfield spot for the Socceroos making great runs into the box and rocket kicks outside?

if Europe can convert him to more a defensive mid with attacking qualities it would be the defensive mid we are looking for!!
Tbone
Tbone
Hacker

And Ikonomidis is another one to fit Into the forward 3! 
Forgot about him! 

D_manu
D_manu
Hacker
Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)Hacker (319 reputation)

Tbone - 25 Nov 2019 1:35 PM
And Ikonomidis is another one to fit Into the forward 3! 
Forgot about him! 

Hard to see Ikon making it in with players like Hrustic, Mabil, Leckie, Boyle, Arzani and Borrello. 
He needs to make the next step up. 

Bocca - 25 Nov 2019 12:19 PM
I see him more as a goal scoring box to box midfielder than attacking midfielder. He could play alongside Mooy or sub on for Mooy depending on the opponent or tactics.

I don't think this would work. Needs to be higher up. We need a player next to Mooy that takes a load off his shoulders in possession. Wouldn't mind seeing O'neil get a shot alongside Mooy against Nepal or Chinese Taipei.

kaufusi
kaufusi
Pro
Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)Pro (2.7K reputation)

I would say nowhere for the next 9 months!
D_manu
D_manu
Hacker

kaufusi - 25 Nov 2019 2:06 PM
I would say nowhere for the next 9 months!

Pretty much. 
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

D_manu - 25 Nov 2019 1:59 PM

Hard to see Ikon making it in with players like Hrustic, Mabil, Leckie, Boyle, Arzani and Borrello. 

I don't think this would work. Needs to be higher up. We need a player next to Mooy that takes a load off his shoulders in possession. Wouldn't mind seeing O'neil get a shot alongside Mooy against Nepal or Chinese Taipei.

Which O'neil?

New Signing
New Signing
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

IMO its a battle between Ikon, Mabil and Arzani for the starting roles in wide areas. Ikon scores more goals than the other two.

Hrustic is probably next in line while the other 3 need to re discover their club form to genuinely challenge
robbos
robbos
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

New Signing - 25 Nov 2019 2:14 PM

IMO its a battle between Ikon, Mabil and Arzani for the starting roles in wide areas. Ikon scores more goals than the other two.

Hrustic is probably next in line while the other 3 need to re discover their club form to genuinely challenge

Matthew Leckie, 28 years old, 63 caps for Socceroos says hello.

D_manu
D_manu
Hacker

robbos - 25 Nov 2019 2:13 PM
Which O'neil?

Brandon
lukerobinho
lukerobinho
Legend
Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)Legend (11K reputation)

Where is Ikon scoring ? I must have missed that
sub007
sub007
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

lukerobinho - 25 Nov 2019 3:25 PM

Where is Ikon scoring ? I must have missed that

Scored 9 from 18 league games last season and had 2 goals so far this season.
BullsFC
BullsFC
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)Hardcore Fan (281 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
I look forward to seeing him play for the Olyroo's .
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)Legend (14K reputation)

I think either as an advanced No.10 where he forward runs into the box would be dangerous along with his ability to score with his left foot OR as a No.8 with a playmaker next to him.

I like to see try his luck in Holland where they can teach him good movement off the ball like they did Holman as he reminds me of him when he was younger.
Bundoora B
Bundoora B
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

probably on the bench or in the youth team

Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro

Ikon better than Borello. McGree better than Borello.
Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

Will need to keep the form up in a stronger league before he has any genuine claim to a squad spot. Unfortunately for Mcgree midfield is the one place we have plenty of options.
hames_jetfield
hames_jetfield
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.4K reputation)

I genuinely hope he gets chosen for a Socceroos squad at the end of his ban. Really don't want Amini or Luongo there yet again.

Edited
5 Years Ago by hames_jetfield
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

Balin Trev - 25 Nov 2019 6:48 PM

Ikon better than Borello. McGree better than Borello.

This^ ppl just spouting borello based on "oh but hes playing in top 5". So did Richard garcia....
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro
Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)Pro (2.8K reputation)

hames_jetfield - 25 Nov 2019 9:23 PM
I genuinely hope he gets chosen for a Socceroos squad at the end of his ban. Really don't want Amini or Luongo there yet again.

Dont get the luongo hate on here... guy was best player in his championship side last 2 yrs and has started dominating with his new team 
Bunch of Hacks
Bunch of Hacks
Pro

McGree is just amother reason why Irvine and leckie need to be converted to CF and right back respectively. We just have so many options now at CM, AM, and Wing. I think both those guys could be top international standard in those positions 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search