FFA CEO James Johnson | 'Let's put football first'

FFA CEO James Johnson | 'Let's put football first'

Author
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
n i k o - 3 Mar 2020 3:19 PM
paulc - 3 Mar 2020 3:06 PM

We're talking about James Johnson. He's been in the role for 2 months. Thats what you responded to me about. His transparency compared to Lowy. Tell me about transparency specifically with him and how it compares to Lowy?  

I was talking about both, new FFA and him. He hasn't said anything to inspire we're moving in the right direction but I'd imagine he knows more than he lets on. ie transparency anyone? Lowy junior was copping that from day 1.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
4 Years Ago by paulc
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

lurker1979 - 29 Feb 2020 2:09 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed at all. After about 15mins I had enough and switched it off.  A lot of the questions he answered with a question or answered in a wishy washy non-committal way.  A lot of things we want to hear but not a lot of how they're going to implement these changes. He talks about lessons learned from other countries in terms of developing their leagues and infrastructure - Well what were those lessons you learned? How are they valuable and how are you going to implement them? He talks about all these challenges and yet no indication how he and the board are planning on facing these challenges. Let's face it nothing he has said or similar hasn't been said before by someone in management previously. Until proven otherwise he's just a talking head  just like previous administrators

X2
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

paulc - 3 Mar 2020 5:31 PM
n i k o - 3 Mar 2020 3:19 PM

I was talking about both, new FFA and him. He hasn't said anything to inspire we're moving in the right direction but I'd imagine he knows more than he lets on. ie transparency anyone? Lowy junior was copping that from day 1.

Yeah your old boss was good

Had radio silence then came out and said football fans are pretty much immature and don’t have patience.
paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

scott20won - 3 Mar 2020 6:03 PM
paulc - 3 Mar 2020 5:31 PM

Yeah your old boss was good

Had radio silence then came out and said football fans are pretty much immature and don’t have patience.

Good characterization of what he perceived to have meant, but he was right on one thing and that is you do need patience.

No difference with what we have now.

In a resort somewhere

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

paulc - 3 Mar 2020 7:20 PM
scott20won - 3 Mar 2020 6:03 PM

Good characterization of what he perceived to have meant, but he was right on one thing and that is you do need patience.

No difference with what we have now.

Well politicians can say what they want. But it’s most important they are liked and hence followed. 

Your man man was never liked.
General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

I guess I heard differently to many others, he talks like a politician. He's going to "listen" wants to set up "fan forums" to "listen" to concerns etc etc. It's all been done before and guess what, SFA comes out of them.

If he had instead been talking about what he is going to be doing and providing flexible time frames for them to happen in I would feel positive about the interview. How hard is it to ask him actual questions which are focused and open? Things like "When is the Australian football economy being opened?" "When is the NSD working group releasing their timetable for the start of the NSD given they have been in discussions for over 12 months now?" "What is the strategic plan for attracting new sponsors to the national teams?" "Is the FFA only providing administrative support to the A League or is it still the defacto owner of the competition still?" "What is the FFA going to do to secure broadcasting revenue for the national teams?" etc

He also spouted a lot of platitudes about putting football first etc without being asked what his plans are for doing this. The only reason he should have been given the job was if he had been able to articulate a plan for dragging the game out of the quagmire it was in, he should be more than capable of at least providing an insight into that plan on the red carpet he was rolled out by Peacock but he couldn't.

As far as I'm concerned he failed his first opportunity to show, according to him, the most important stakeholders in the game what he was made of. He's also failed his second test as far as I'm concerned with regards to the policing of the Sydney derby and the FFA coming to the defence of, again in his own words, the most important stakeholders in the game.

So far he's a 3/10 simply because he is at least a football person.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

General Ashnak
General Ashnak
Legend
Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)Legend (18K reputation)

lurker1979 - 29 Feb 2020 2:09 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed at all. After about 15mins I had enough and switched it off.  A lot of the questions he answered with a question or answered in a wishy washy non-committal way.  A lot of things we want to hear but not a lot of how they're going to implement these changes. He talks about lessons learned from other countries in terms of developing their leagues and infrastructure - Well what were those lessons you learned? How are they valuable and how are you going to implement them? He talks about all these challenges and yet no indication how he and the board are planning on facing these challenges. Let's face it nothing he has said or similar hasn't been said before by someone in management previously. Until proven otherwise he's just a talking head  just like previous administrators

Spot on.

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is its not just about football.
- Sir Terry Pratchett in Unseen Academicals
For pro/rel in Australia across the entire pyramid, the removal of artificial impediments to the development of the game and its players.
On sabbatical Youth Coach and formerly part of The Cove FC

con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

just heard an interview on big sports breakfast podcast with James from yesterday , very impressive individual, speaks well , concise, great experience, taking a macro perspective to fix our game in aus if he cannot succeed then our chances of success are slim

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/vjduCX.mp3

Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

AnthonyC - 27 Feb 2020 4:35 PM
WSF - 27 Feb 2020 3:24 PM

So, all they have to do is say the right words in the correct order and everything will work out. Yeah and I have a bridge you might want to buy. Interested?

X2
con m
con m
Pro
Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)Pro (2.4K reputation)

soccerfoo - 6 May 2020 9:18 AM
AnthonyC - 27 Feb 2020 4:35 PM

X2

well he's presented better than any of the recent past presenters maybe you can do a better job
Footyball
Footyball
Pro

Don't think Gallop stated 'lets put football first'.
Might of been 'lets put footy back on the map!'
libel
libel
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
LOL!

Remember not so long ago when everyone on here was demanding an NSD and pro-rel, and were ready to march on FFA HQ for it ?

I haven't seen or heard JJ even mention the words pro-rel, and he has been utterly non-committal on an NSD.

But yeah, apparently he said "let's put football first", so he's amazing...

Too funny.

Edited
4 Years Ago by libel
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

libel - 6 May 2020 6:52 PM
LOL!

Remember not so long ago when everyone on here was demanding an NSD and pro-rel, and were ready to march on FFA HQ for it ?

I haven't seen or heard JJ even mention the words pro-rel, and he has been utterly non-committal on an NSD.

Too funny.

Not exactly the best time to be planning Nsd or pro/rel right now when even the top tier of Aus football is in crisis like this. Save the AL first then look to improve around it. At least JJ got some money out of Fox even though AL hasn’t supplied them ANY content for weeks 
libel
libel
Pro

Balin Trev - 6 May 2020 7:29 PM

Not exactly the best time to be planning Nsd or pro/rel right now when even the top tier of Aus football is in crisis like this. Save the AL first then look to improve around it. At least JJ got some money out of Fox even though AL hasn’t supplied them ANY content for weeks 

new FFA apologist.

LOL "planning" - haven't seen him even utter the words pro-rel, not even pre COVID...

The Fox money was because of Lowy's contract.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Now is the perfect time.  If not now, when?

Too easy to say 'conditions need to be better before XYZ happens'.

Member since 2008.

AJF
AJF
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 6 May 2020 9:04 PM

Now is the perfect time.  If not now, when?

Too easy to say 'conditions need to be better before XYZ happens'.

When you run a protectionist racket there is never a perfect time to open yourself up to competition

libel
libel
Pro

I guess now that the "let's put football first" guy has seemingly retained the Fox deal, any notion of a "total reset" has just evaporated...
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

libel - 6 May 2020 9:40 PM
I guess now that the "let's put football first" guy has seemingly retained the Fox deal, any notion of a "total reset" has just evaporated...

There might be some truth in that.
If the money is guaranteed for the next three season, well, of course you take the money.
If the money disappeared overnight, then you might consider that a radical overhaul is required sooner rather than later.

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

LOL!

Too funny.

Lowy and his apprentice Gallop...

[IMG]

But JJ comes along...

[IMG]

AJF
AJF
Pro

bettega - 6 May 2020 11:06 PM
libel - 6 May 2020 9:40 PM

There might be some truth in that.
If the money is guaranteed for the next three season, well, of course you take the money.
If the money disappeared overnight, then you might consider that a radical overhaul is required sooner rather than later.

If iAL continues in business as usual, metrics will continue dropping and TV money will disappear as rights wont be worth anything and all we have done is kicked the can down the road for a few years

Edited
4 Years Ago by AJF
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

AJF - 7 May 2020 11:20 AM
bettega - 6 May 2020 11:06 PM

If iAL continues in business as usual, metrics will continue dropping and TV money will disappear as rights wont be worth anything and all we have done is kicked the can down the road for a few years

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The owners of iAL are mostly highly successful business people....

So your assumption is this collection of clever business people who fort for three years to get control... now they have it won't change much...

You could very well be right but if you consider the names behind the teams I very much doubt they don't have the smarts to understand this as well...

Consider what I have heard ... and has been published a lot but the narrative is not doom and gloom so lets ignore it and focus on we will all be ruined scenarios .

Consider they have said it will take two to three years to rebuild, and we would like the Fox revenue as a back stop so we can grow... 

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

Midfielder - 7 May 2020 11:52 AM

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So your assumption is this collection of clever business people who fort for three years to get control... now they have it won't change much...

You could very well be right but if you consider the names behind the teams I very much doubt they don't have the smarts to understand this as well...

Consider what I have heard ... and has been published a lot but the narrative is not doom and gloom so lets ignore it and focus on we will all be ruined scenarios .

Consider they have said it will take two to three years to rebuild, and we would like the Fox revenue as a back stop so we can grow... 

Mid,

im a supporter of an independent league, it’s a philosophical thing for me - let those that have an interest in the competitions success drive it, and let the FFA oversee its place in the football eco system including things like pro/rel. 

Thd things that are missing from the HAL are all basic stuff such as fixturing, scheduling and kick off times. You don’t need to be a smart person to fix that but let’s hope the iAL can. 

More recently fans see a lack of fairness in the Comp as an issue - playing three times each was tolerated but never liked, but now some sides can play Sydney three times in a season but Mariners only twice makes a shambles of the competition - O’Rourke & Co have been so far detached from reality they couldn’t even see a problem with this. 

iAL isn’t here yet, it’s still an FFA toy and it’s still at the whim of Fox. Whether the owners can make a go of it remains to be seen, like you I hope they can but due to their on-going silence in the topic there’s scant evidence as to how they’ll go about it. 

AJF
AJF
Pro

HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If they are so successful and smart why hasnt the AL done better? why are so many running at a loss? what have they done since taking control 18M ago?

perhaps below pic may give us a clue

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

AJF - 7 May 2020 12:46 PM

If they are so successful and smart why hasnt the AL done better? why are so many running at a loss? what have they done since taking control 18M ago?

They haven’t taken control. The FFA still has control because everyone was sh*t scared Fox would walk if ownership changed - just another example of where Lowy’s supposed “commercial expertise” was exposed as a sham. 
libel
libel
Pro

LOL !!
AJF
AJF
Pro

Waz - 7 May 2020 1:21 PM

They haven’t taken control. The FFA still has control because everyone was sh*t scared Fox would walk if ownership changed - just another example of where Lowy’s supposed “commercial expertise” was exposed as a sham. 

I know it's easier to blame FFA for iAL being useless and doing nothing but as old JJ has already publicly stated owners are definitely in control.

"The day-to-day operations, we're not involved," Johnson said. "Defining where the league wants to go and the strategy, this is a job the league has to do, and we'll support that, provided there is alignment with the direction we want to go as a whole of game."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/we-re-not-involved-ffa-urges-a-league-club-owners-to-move-faster-20200228-p545h8.html

Despite all the "we know how to run the comp better than FFA" rhetoric, the fact FFA is so heavily involved with the Covid situation says alot about the iAL's capabilities unfortunately.

Waz
Waz
Legend

AJF - 7 May 2020 3:05 PM
Waz - 7 May 2020 1:21 PM

I know it's easier to blame FFA for iAL being useless and doing nothing but as old JJ has already publicly stated owners are definitely in control.

"The day-to-day operations, we're not involved," Johnson said. "Defining where the league wants to go and the strategy, this is a job the league has to do, and we'll support that, provided there is alignment with the direction we want to go as a whole of game."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/we-re-not-involved-ffa-urges-a-league-club-owners-to-move-faster-20200228-p545h8.html

Despite all the "we know how to run the comp better than FFA" rhetoric, the fact FFA is so heavily involved with the Covid situation says alot about the iAL's capabilities unfortunately.

Unfortunately they’re just weasel words from JJ, much as I’m liking the way he’s started he’s letting himself down on this topic - this is the dogs breakfast that is our top flight though. 

The FFA have a legal obligation to run the HAL, they can not shirk that and they can not pass it off to someone else - the FFA Director's are responsible for it, in all cases they are taking personal responsibility for it eg if someone is killed performing their duties it is the FFA Director's who will bear the legal brunt which is why it is the FFA deciding when the HAL restarts not the clubs. 

The FFA own the HAL until it is legally transferred and, until the point it is transferred, don’t expect club owners to throw money at the competition because the State Feds, or the FFA Board, could move the goalposts tomorrow and the HAL May not transfer. 

AJF
AJF
Pro

Waz - 7 May 2020 4:07 PM
AJF - 7 May 2020 3:05 PM

Unfortunately they’re just weasel words from JJ, much as I’m liking the way he’s started he’s letting himself down on this topic - this is the dogs breakfast that is our top flight though. 

The FFA have a legal obligation to run the HAL, they can not shirk that and they can not pass it off to someone else - the FFA Director's are responsible for it, in all cases they are taking personal responsibility for it eg if someone is killed performing their duties it is the FFA Director's who will bear the legal brunt which is why it is the FFA deciding when the HAL restarts not the clubs. 

The FFA own the HAL until it is legally transferred and, until the point it is transferred, don’t expect club owners to throw money at the competition because the State Feds, or the FFA Board, could move the goalposts tomorrow and the HAL May not transfer. 

I actually think it's the other way around, iAL teams are struggling and know that they dont have the resources or capability to manage this so are relying on FFA to help get them through. There are a few clubs really close to going under and who at iAL will be able to bail them out.

Also, if the news about the foxtel contract being renegotiated are true, why didnt iAL take the opportunity to formalise the split from FA rather than still being tethered at a reduced rate?

Footyball
Footyball
Pro

conm - 6 May 2020 9:21 AM
soccerfoo - 6 May 2020 9:18 AM

well he's presented better than any of the recent past presenters maybe you can do a better job

Johnno presents lets see, nearly as well as Gallop did.
At presenting, he has Sep Blatter and Infantino covered too.
Edited
4 Years Ago by soccerfoo
Blew.2
Blew.2
Rising Star
Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)Rising Star (776 reputation)

To put Football first - First you need Football.

Clear Contact There

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search