'We need to cut the visa spots back' - Former Socceroo speaks out on A-League imports [Comments]

'We need to cut the visa spots back' - Former Socceroo speaks out on...

Author
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Waz - 3 Jul 2020 12:39 PM
Jegga7698 - 3 Jul 2020 12:27 PM

True. And that will reduce the quality of the A League which in turn will reduce the development of young Aussie midfielders and defenders because they’re playing against lower quality strikers. 

Do you think a player will develop more playing against Berisha and ALF or by playing against Nick D’Agestino selected to “give young Aussies a go”??? 

If they’re not good enough they shouldn’t be given a start - a poor player will not develop in the A League. 

Both sides have pros and cons.

What we have now is not really paying off, so a change has to come. Get all stakeholders together and find a plan that works to rectify the gaps, which aligns with the FFA XI focus areas outlined. 

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

True. And that will reduce the quality of the A League which in turn will reduce the development of young Aussie midfielders and defenders because they’re playing against lower quality strikers. 

Do you think a player will develop more playing against Berisha and ALF or by playing against Nick D’Agestino selected to “give young Aussies a go”??? 

If they’re not good enough they shouldn’t be given a start - a poor player will not develop in the A League. 

Pensioners ambling around the pitch hardly improves the quality of the AL either, plus how much money will a 35 YO Berisha generate in transfer fees for a club?

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Iirc FFA paper says imports should be a certain level.

I guess you could bring in a minimum salary for visa players but I’m not a fan because you take away the chance to groom younger or cheaper players

You could introduce a visa fee eg. You can have 3 visa players if you have 4 you pay $100k to something and 5 $250k 

But that’s hard with a salary cap
Butler99
Butler99
Rising Star
Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)Rising Star (995 reputation)

aok - 2 Jul 2020 2:36 PM
I can see the argument for 3 foreign spots.  The fourth and fifth import at a lot of clubs aren't that good.  

Its always hit and miss...
Some players with great CV's flop... other unknowns do well...
giving clubs access to sign 5 hopefully means 3 will atleast be very good starters at each club.

I'd like to see actual numbers of games started/played by the 5 foreigners at each club over the season.
I daresay with selection and injuries the average number of foreigners starting each game would be somewhere between 3-4. 

notarobot
notarobot
Rising Star
Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)Rising Star (783 reputation)

Funny , that same Nick D’Agestino was second top scorer in U23s afc Olympic qualifying tournament.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 3 Jul 2020 12:38 PM
Barca4Life - 3 Jul 2020 12:23 PM

When it comes to strikers, Greed is good.
Look around the world at the top leagues and nations and the individual brilliance and hunger that exist in most top strikers.

We are coaching our youngsters to pass not shoot, not dribble, not be greedy. Our coaching is all about teamwork and tactics, with the individual skill work focussed on passing, but so little work on beating a man one on one with a dribble.

But this has nothing to do with the 4-3-3, more to do with the type of players a coach is developing within.

You can teach a player to greed or selfish but also you need to teach them good decision making, and I feel this is the art of good coaching.

Allowing players to make mistakes whilst giving them a good framework is the fine balance.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Barca4Life
robstazzz
robstazzz
World Class
World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)World Class (5.5K reputation)

I've been saying it for years that we should simply adapt the 3 + 1 rule with our foreign players, and get in line with Asia. 

I can't stand the fact we have our top 3 clubs in the league go into the ACL without two of their best foreign players. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
robstazzz - 3 Jul 2020 9:05 PM
I've been saying it for years that we should simply adapt the 3 + 1 rule with our foreign players, and get in line with Asia. 

I can't stand the fact we have our top 3 clubs in the league go into the ACL without two of their best foreign players. 

That's a more reasonable argument, I think.

Wouldn't be so bad if we had 4+1, as that would just mean one visa player left out, which teams might do anyway to manage the workload.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
NicCarBel
NicCarBel
Pro
Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)Pro (2.3K reputation)

paladisious - 3 Jul 2020 9:20 PM
robstazzz - 3 Jul 2020 9:05 PM

That's a more reasonable argument, I think.

Wouldn't be so bad if we had 4+1, as that would just mean one visa player left out, which teams might do anyway to manage the workload.

I agree. 3+1 is a natural cap, which 'should' do the job a salary cap is expected to do in the A-League. 4+1 would make it more manageable from the current state.
sethman75
sethman75
Pro
Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)Pro (2.5K reputation)

Not keen on limits but am keen on quality.

They can't come here and just be as good as what we have, they have to be bought to be much better than what we have and that will increase the standard overall
melbourne_terrace
melbourne_terrace
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

The only good reason to cut back on visas is too align with Asia.

Doing it so some spud like George Blackwood can be gifted a spot ahead of actual quality like  prime Berisha helps no one. 

Viennese Vuck

Footballfirst
Footballfirst
Hacker
Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)Hacker (379 reputation)

melbourne_terrace - 4 Jul 2020 3:43 AM
The only good reason to cut back on visas is too align with Asia.

Doing it so some spud like George Blackwood can be gifted a spot ahead of actual quality like  prime Berisha helps no one. 

By the same token playing players that are past their best like Jair and Opseth does not make the A league standard any higher and takes valuable development minutes away from exciting young Australian players like Mo Toure who has shown more than twice as much ability as the other two combined in his lively but limited time on the pitch. Listen to the crowd when Mo Toure takes the field, who do they want to watch, Opseth or Toure?

The A league is a development league and will never be anything other than that so we should only bring over foreigners that add to the league and help the development of our young players. I can watch that quality of foreign player in every low level league in the world. Foreigners need to be a lot better than Australian players and need to add quality to the A league and not hinder our young players development and we already know if a coach brings over a foreigner and he is not playing the best, they still tend to play them because they signed them and then only go to youth as a last resort.
Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

For a good foreigner player we had more dud ones along the way, I felt there still has made aleague clubs lazy when it comes to player recruitment as well.

It has to be a certain standard not a journeyman looking for a cheque.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search