tball/ffa-ceo-james-johnson-reveals-11point-plan-to-transform-australian-football

tball/ffa-ceo-james-johnson-reveals-11point-plan-to-transform-australi...

Author
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 10:47 AM
ErogenousZone - 6 Aug 2020 10:35 AM

The a-league is paid for by largely by fox and other revenue sources.

And I'm talking about 15 mill collectively, not 1 club. To pay for logistics of running a national comp. That's a rough and very conservative estimate.

If the nsd can find a tv producer dumb enough to fund a division of two bit clubs then go for it i say. Or if the can collectively subsidise that amount forever then more power to them.

But do not touch the a-l finances. I don't want the a-l tethered to an impending financial clusterfuck.

I think you got that the wrong way round, the FFA should be isolated from the impending AL financial clusterf#ck

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

bettega - 6 Aug 2020 8:43 AM
Moore says we have to set up things like the rest of the world.
Set it up now, even if there's short term pain.
Get the base right, set up the infrastucture properly, then you can have growth.
But it it's done in dribs and drabs....

He is right on this point. 

It is like technology. It’s better to release something then keep doing updates. 

We hear especially from FFA guy involved “it has to done right”. No it doesn’t. It will never be done perfect first go. If a NSD is started tomorrow or 5 or 10 years it will still be tweaked. 

If FFA are afraid of a bad look of clubs dropping up create a fail safe model eg we want 12 teams minim always playing in NSD that’s why we have a 16 team comp
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 4 Aug 2020 1:11 PM
ErogenousZone - 4 Aug 2020 12:51 PM

Then get it done!

Enough talk on the forums or the twitters!

If they have the 10 to 15 mill a year then do it...
Fuck consulting FFA, just start a rebel division lol!

And don't go asking the a-league or FFA for the cash either.

However I suspect we'll be waiting a long time before any if that happens...

Exactly!
If a club has been running for 30-40-50 years and still has not become a full-time professional football club, it is not the fault of FFA or the A League.
It is a choice that has been made by that club.

It beggars belief that in 2020 any club aiming to be in the A League considers it is acceptable to operate as social club who just happens to field a semi-professional football team.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

bettega - 6 Aug 2020 8:39 AM
Good interview with Moore.
In fact, he talks more about the level of player salaries, especially starting salaries for young players.
He feels the starting salary for a young teenager of $70k (plus super), is too high.
He's probably right, should really be halved in the new environment, although the PA will fight tooth and nail against that.
Clearly, you can't start an NSD if the minimum salary is $70k (or even half that), to be honest.
We know the A-League clubs are probably stonewalling to protect their turf, you can probably add the PA to that list, in the sense that they won't make it easy for a low-cost NSD to start up.
Little wonder there is zero progress on pretty much anything.

Moore brings up usual points
- align with Asia
- pay less
- pro rel/NSD

but another important point that is often lost here, protection for clubs through the European summer transfer window. Meaning European clubs would have to buy players. This is difficult with the culture of short term contacts in AL
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

MarkfromCroydon - 6 Aug 2020 4:08 PM

Exactly!
If a club has been running for 30-40-50 years and still has not become a full-time professional football club, it is not the fault of FFA or the A League.

It beggars belief that in 2020 any club aiming to be in the A League considers it is acceptable to operate as social club who just happens to field a semi-professional football team.

“AAFC @AAFClubs · 11h
”...We have no doubt that clubs will aspire to move to being professional. We envisage some will choose to do so from day 1 others will morph gradually. Never forget that the main priority is club & infrastructure development. Player development is a byproduct.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/AAFClubs/status/1291232382826082304

Waz
Waz
Legend
Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)Legend (19K reputation)

scott20won - 7 Aug 2020 1:34 AM
bettega - 6 Aug 2020 8:39 AM

Moore brings up usual points
- align with Asia
- pay less
- pro rel/NSD

but another important point that is often lost here, protection for clubs through the European summer transfer window. Meaning European clubs would have to buy players. This is difficult with the culture of short term contacts in AL

This has to be dealt with ....  and is a function of the Cap. 

Clubs are reluctant to sign players long term as it locks down a squad spot and players are reluctant to sign for longer as the easiest way to get a $1,000 per month pay rise is to hop clubs. 

It’s easy enough to fix. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by Waz
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 10:47 AM
ErogenousZone - 6 Aug 2020 10:35 AM

The a-league is paid for by largely by fox and other revenue sources.

And I'm talking about 15 mill collectively, not 1 club. To pay for logistics of running a national comp. That's a rough and very conservative estimate.

If the nsd can find a tv producer dumb enough to fund a division of two bit clubs then go for it i say. Or if the can collectively subsidise that amount forever then more power to them.

But do not touch the a-l finances. I don't want the a-l tethered to an impending financial clusterfuck.

Every single word in this post is completely wrong.  It's like you didn't read my post at all. 

If you're tying yourself to a dumb fuck ideological position as you appear to be doing at least try to spout some facts.  

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Exactly!

So a swathe of clubs who has been professional in the past & have expressed a desire to become professional in the present yet have been deliberately excluded & deliberately prevented by that same governing body & by the clubs in that same competition are just supposed to become professional & spend 5-10 million per year so that they can demonstrate to those same people & to people such as yourself that they possess ambition.

I hope you don't manage the finances in your household because you're adopting a position that even fucking dumber than your aforementioned dumb fuck mate.   :hehe::laugh:

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

ErogenousZone - 7 Aug 2020 8:06 AM

So a swathe of clubs who has been professional in the past & have expressed a desire to become professional in the present yet have been deliberately excluded & deliberately prevented by that same governing body & by the clubs in that same competition are just supposed to become professional & spend 5-10 million per year so that they can demonstrate to those same people & to people such as yourself that they possess ambition.

I hope you don't manage the finances in your household because you're adopting a position that even fucking dumber than your aforementioned dumb fuck mate.   :hehe::laugh:

Yeah mum, I've cleaned my room.
I would've handed it in Miss, but the dog ate my homework.
Yes boss, I know was supposed to finish yesterday, but it took a little longer than I expected.
I'll have the rent money for you tomorrow, I promise.
Baby, she means nothing to me, it was just a fling, a physical thing.
Son, I know you wanted to go to college, but the college fund didn't quit eventuate. 
Would've, Could've, Should've. etc. etc.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?
ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

MarkfromCroydon - 7 Aug 2020 11:34 AM
ErogenousZone - 7 Aug 2020 8:06 AM

Yeah mum, I've cleaned my room.
I would've handed it in Miss, but the dog ate my homework.
Yes boss, I know was supposed to finish yesterday, but it took a little longer than I expected.
I'll have the rent money for you tomorrow, I promise.
Baby, she means nothing to me, it was just a fling, a physical thing.
Son, I know you wanted to go to college, but the college fund didn't quit eventuate. 
Would've, Could've, Should've. etc. etc.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Way to attempt to completely avoid your incorrect assertions.  :laugh: 

Bitterness is not a very becoming.  The past & present can move together to progress the game forward yet you seem implacably opposed to such things.  Why? 

MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro

ErogenousZone - 7 Aug 2020 11:52 AM
MarkfromCroydon - 7 Aug 2020 11:34 AM

Way to attempt to completely avoid your incorrect assertions.  :laugh: 

Bitterness is not a very becoming.  The past & present can move together to progress the game forward yet you seem implacably opposed to such things.  Why? 

Pot. Kettle. Black. I'm not the one hung up on the past.
I'm all for old NSL clubs or NPL clubs coming in to the A League or a National Second Division.

As I've said many times before, the ONLY thing we NEED is for those clubs to be fully professional.

It's no good those clubs blaming the FFA or anyone else for their own failure to become fully professional.

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

MarkfromCroydon - 7 Aug 2020 1:06 PM

I'm all for old NSL clubs or NPL clubs coming in to the A League or a National Second Division.

As I've said many times before, the ONLY thing we NEED is for those clubs to be fully professional.

It's no good those clubs blaming the FFA or anyone else for their own failure to become fully professional.

We need a NSD more than we need a fully pro NSD. 

ErogenousZone
ErogenousZone
Pro

scott20won - 7 Aug 2020 2:16 PM

We need a NSD more than we need a fully pro NSD. 

It would be considerably more financially sustainable as well. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

ErogenousZone - 7 Aug 2020 2:37 PM
scott20won - 7 Aug 2020 2:16 PM

It would be considerably more financially sustainable as well. 

AAFC seem to think so. Have to go on what they wrote - some will be pro, others will get there eventually (paraphrasing).

The essence is that it is more critical or happens ASAP and can Ben tweaked after. 

This “has to be perfect from day 1” thinking allows people to push back the start date in their own minds.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Waiting for the ideal time is just an excuse to appease those interests who don't want it, not now, not ever.
Never forget that the A-League clubs were lobbying to make the NSD a reserves comp - we all know why.

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

your always not on the money but ok......

I'm not seeing any articles the last years from PL clubs pointing out the FFA  are the blame anymore but for holding out some who have wished to join AL.
Get it right please.
Read the other article regards NSD, its quoted some Clubs will be capable of turning Pro and some will take sometime IF they wish to.
Get on the page please.

Love Football

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 4 Aug 2020 11:40 AM
bettega - 4 Aug 2020 11:21 AM

Push the cap down to a level most clubs can afford.

Straight cap of around 2 mill, no loopholes except for 1 or 2 marquee spots, 3+1 for foreigners.

Need to get the league competitive again, smaller teams are being left behind.

This has made the long a-league seasons tedious and boring as it becomes more predictitable.

European models don't work in Australia.

Seems we are not as unique as we think. 

League One & Two clubs vote to introduce salary cap

League One clubs will be able to spend up to a limit of £2.5m on player wages, bonuses and various associated fees.

Plans for salary caps in League One and League Two are "unlawful and unenforceable" says the Professional Footballers Association. Clubs voted for a limit of £2.5m and £1.5m for the respective divisions.

Wages, bonuses, taxes and image rights, plus agents' and other relevant fees, will be included within the cap but bonuses gained from promotion or progression in cups will be exempt. Clubs will be fined or face further sanctions if they exceed the limits.

The PFA reacted to Friday's votes by saying it is "disappointed with the outcome". "The English Football League (EFL) has ignored its legal obligation to consult with the PFA and the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee," it added in a statement. "As such, the legal advice we have received is clear that the salary cap envisaged by the EFL would be unlawful and unenforceable. "The PFA has already served its notice of arbitration on the EFL and until such time that arbitration is determined one way or another the new regulations should have no effect. "While we share the league's commitment to protecting the long-term sustainability of the leagues, the salary cap proposals voted on today have been rushed through without the proper consideration or consultation."

The financial positions of clubs, particularly outside the top two divisions in England, have been brought into focus in recent months because of the coronavirus pandemic. In June, a majority of League One and Two clubs voted to curtail their respective league seasons, with the financial impact cited by many as a primary reason to end the campaign early.

Talks 'healthy and constructive' - EFL

Announcing the outcome of the vote, an EFL statement said: "The decision follows extensive and comprehensive consultation with all clubs in respect of addressing sustainability and wage inflation issues across the EFL, which were initiated prior to the suspension of football in March following the Covid-19 outbreak and have continued during the course of the summer.

"Those discussions culminated in today's divisional vote, with representatives of League One and League Two clubs opting to implement the new measures in place of the existing salary cost management protocols."

The statement added that clubs in the third and fourth tiers are talking about "additional measures aimed at addressing club financial sustainability", while Championship clubs are continuing discussions "in respect to amendments to their own financial controls".

EFL chief executive David Baldwin added: "The term 'salary cap' is an emotive one, creating the impression of a restrictive measure but we are clear in our view that this is neither the objective nor the likely effect of these changes to EFL regulations.

"The financial impact of Covid-19 will be profound for EFL clubs and today's vote will help ensure clubs cannot extend themselves to the point that could cause financial instability.

"Over the last two weeks the discussions amongst clubs in both Leagues One and Two have been healthy and constructive, allowing us to reach a clear consensus and I am pleased that the clubs have determined to adopt the new approach.

"We will now work with all clubs, the PFA and, where appropriate, other stakeholders to implement the new rules and continue our efforts to bring long-term sustainability to the EFL."

What happens if a club exceeds the cap?

If a club is over the salary cap by up to 5%, they will face a financial penalty for every £1 by which they exceed the limit.

Any club exceeding the 'overrun' will be referred to an independent disciplinary commission for further sanction.

And what about clubs moving between divisions?

The EFL says "transition agreements" have been incorporated for relegated clubs and players on longer-term contracts.

Their statement added: "Any contract entered into on or prior to the vote will be capped at an agreed divisional average until that contract expires.

"Moving forwards, clubs that are relegated will be permitted to cap all contracts at the divisional average prior to the club's relegation until those contracts expire."

]https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53696424

scott20won
scott20won
Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csPekaLil4
bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

scott20won - 21 Aug 2020 5:07 AM

Spider getting stuck into James Johnson:  he's very quiet, where is he, never hear from him, etc.
I tell you what, in the first couple of years of his tenure, Gallop was far more vocal and visible than what James Johnson has been.

AJF
AJF
Pro

Really interesting to see key football personalities also having a crack now about the lack of action. JJ looks like a dud the longer this drags on and dont even start with Nikou, what does he even do? 

libelous
libelous
Amateur
Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)

AJF - 21 Aug 2020 10:44 AM

Really interesting to see key football personalities also having a crack now about the lack of action. JJ looks like a dud the longer this drags on and dont even start with Nikou, what does he even do? 

Patience is a virtue.
saweston
saweston
Amateur
Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)Amateur (504 reputation)

bettega - 21 Aug 2020 10:27 AM

Spider getting stuck into James Johnson:  he's very quiet, where is he, never hear from him, etc.
I tell you what, in the first couple of years of his tenure, Gallop was far more vocal and visible than what James Johnson has been.

To be fair Gallop didn't have half the crapola to sort through than what JJ has. 
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Been saying this for months. JJ another fatcat.
Footyball
Footyball
Pro
Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)Pro (3.9K reputation)

Siphon money.
n i k o
n i k o
Semi-Pro

I don't know what is happening behind the scenes. But seeing as jj worked with CFG and knowing how they operate this silence is perfectly normal. As city fans we always find out once something is set in stone. If there is nothing concrete to report they don't talk. It can be frustrating sometimes but if this is the case there is a lot of work being done without us knowing. 

libelous
libelous
Amateur
Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)Amateur (739 reputation)

n i k o - 21 Aug 2020 12:48 PM
I don't know what is happening behind the scenes. But seeing as jj worked with CFG and knowing how they operate this silence is perfectly normal. As city fans we always find out once something is set in stone. If there is nothing concrete to report they don't talk. It can be frustrating sometimes but if this is the case there is a lot of work being done without us knowing. 

Exactly.
Heart_fan
Heart_fan
World Class
World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)World Class (8.1K reputation)

n i k o - 21 Aug 2020 12:48 PM

Fully agree.

I do think some kind of updates would be beneficial, but given the sheer amount of things they would have to be working through and prioritising, I don’t envy JJ’s position.
scott20won
scott20won
Pro

Full episode

https://www.buzzsprout.com/956992/5027663

bring up good points - 

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search