A-League surprises doubters [Comments]

A-League surprises doubters [Comments]

Author
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
banzai - 6 Aug 2020 2:47 AM
MarkfromCroydon - 6 Aug 2020 1:22 AM

You cant say it has no impact. Watching the football since the return has been great and makes you look forward to the next game. Compare that to some of the trash we have seen over the last few summers where it seemed even many people on this forum were questioning why they were watching. 

The quality of play does not have any impact on ratings.

Eurosnobs are not watching the A League because they don't want to. It  is as simple as that. Eurosnobs also don't watch the Copa Libertadores, or the Serie A in Brazil, or the Argentine Primera or the Colombian Dimayor etc etc. Those are all high quality leagues (played in oppressive heat for much of the season) and they are not ratings winners in Australia.

People watch because they are emotionally interested in the product. That has nothing to do with whether the standard of play is good or bad. 

If you want to improve ratings, then you must not worry about improving the quality of the league, but rather focus on the marketing, promotion and narrative built around the league. Even if the quality of play is low, people will watch if they have an emotional investment in the product.
Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)

MarkfromCroydon - 6 Aug 2020 9:48 AM

Eurosnobs are not watching the A League because they don't want to. It  is as simple as that. Eurosnobs also don't watch the Copa Libertadores, or the Serie A in Brazil, or the Argentine Primera or the Colombian Dimayor etc etc. Those are all high quality leagues (played in oppressive heat for much of the season) and they are not ratings winners in Australia.

People watch because they are emotionally interested in the product. That has nothing to do with whether the standard of play is good or bad. 

If you want to improve ratings, then you must not worry about improving the quality of the league, but rather focus on the marketing, promotion and narrative built around the league. Even if the quality of play is low, people will watch if they have an emotional investment in the product.

Bingo, in my opinion the quality of the league has gone up in the last few years. Yet interest in it has gone down.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

Winter Football simply has to happen despite of the obstacles. Just put the game up, as its best possible product, and let it compete with the other codes on its merits. Honestly, at its best, it stands up very well.

Beaten by Eldar

Eldar
Eldar
Pro
Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)Pro (4.4K reputation)

I disagree, I think people don't develop an emotional or intellectual connection if the product is below par. I think in the early days, a lot of people who like football tried to form a connection with the a-league but didn't because of the lower quality of the games.

We need to always be trying to increase the quality and particularly in regards to the quality of player we are producing and putting on the world stage.

Beaten by Eldar

Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Probably need some interesting narratives as well how many people actually hear/read about positive stories?
Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)Hardcore Fan (247 reputation)

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 10:58 AM
Winter Football simply has to happen despite of the obstacles. Just put the game up, as its best possible product, and let it compete with the other codes on its merits. Honestly, at its best, it stands up very well.

Lol no it's not, the ratings have been absolutely shocking.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

I tend to disagree. To say quality has zero impact ratings is simply incorrect. It is just one piece of a much bigger pie. There is not one type of fan. Some people couldn't care less, others feel it is the most important. Marketing is also important, but marketing only really gets people in the door. You still need a high quality product with a bright future to keep people returning. There is no silver bullet. Every aspect needs improving when it comes to the AL. On field quality needs improving. Marketing and promotion needs improving. Fan engagement needs improving. Broadcasting needs improving.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 11:34 AM
Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 10:58 AM

Lol no it's not, the ratings have been absolutely shocking.

Mate, go and watch Ninja Warrior, it has good ratings.

Beaten by Eldar

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 11:51 AM

You've made a statement that it stands up very well. 

Objectively the ratings numbers say otherwise. On average the numbers gave dropped by 2 thirds from the fox data I can see.

libelous
libelous
Rising Star
Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)Rising Star (769 reputation)

Melbcityguy - 6 Aug 2020 11:12 AM
Probably need some interesting narratives as well how many people actually hear/read about positive stories?

Too much negativity around the game in the last few years, unfortunately, perception is everything for many people.
MarkfromCroydon
MarkfromCroydon
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.8K reputation)

someguyjc - 6 Aug 2020 11:39 AM

I tend to disagree. To say quality has zero impact ratings is simply incorrect. It is just one piece of a much bigger pie. There is not one type of fan. Some people couldn't care less, others feel it is the most important. Marketing is also important, but marketing only really gets people in the door. You still need a high quality product with a bright future to keep people returning. There is no silver bullet. Every aspect needs improving when it comes to the AL. On field quality needs improving. Marketing and promotion needs improving. Fan engagement needs improving. Broadcasting needs improving.

Point taken.
I agree it does not have Zero impact and has some impact, but the quality of play has a very, very minor impact on ratings. 
The marketing, promotion and narratives built around passion and drama and excitement are all more important. 
These factors are all independent of the quality of play.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 11:57 AM

You've made a statement that it stands up very well. 

Objectively the ratings numbers say otherwise. On average the numbers gave dropped by 2 thirds from the fox data I can see.

I said the product stands up well. I don't watch football for the ratings. If you do then you are watching the wrong sport, AFL or NRL are for you.

Beaten by Eldar

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Butler99 - 6 Aug 2020 6:15 AM
LFC. - 5 Aug 2020 3:12 PM

In 1989 

apples with apples ?
only in that both runners of the game screwed up imo.

Love Football

LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 10:34 AM

Bingo, in my opinion the quality of the league has gone up in the last few years. Yet interest in it has gone down.

yer right....interest gone down due ? carparks too full ?
We have varying invested supporters here in the forum, those who keep attending no matter and hang in there due to various reasons and sososo many who have departed this forum, gonnnnne, like any team support needs its core as well.
As for the casuals, its not grabbing them to attend period because its a nothing 2hrs to them.
There is absolutley nothing getting their attention even 3-4yrs ago.
Well said someguyfc.

Love Football

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Deep down in the depths of my soul, I think many Football fans underestimate two things, first is the size of the domestic Football market and second is the effect on that market of media that varies from poor to toxic with a the odd good news story.

I remember reading in Hals early years when most media was supportive, numerous articles and studies that showed the number of people who supported Hal also supported AFL & NRL and where not only members of A-League teams,  but also members of AFL & NRL clubs... In these figures was also a very high number of AFL & NRL fans who watched the EPL... Meaning the size of our market is both huge and mostly disconnected ..... 

Its difficult to connect to a fragmented fans say market base if the Football community itself remains negative, argumentative, hostile  to ideas outside their particular view of what should be.

Arguably the worst effect of the Steven Lowy reign has been the spilting of the fan base into different groups that have still not reconciled. 

Personally I think we need to set some long term goals and then create systems and structures to achieve these goals.... 

As an example if we all knew that P & R was coming but to get P & R we needed to achieve !@!@!@!!@ then create the environment and pathways to achieve !@!@!@!!@ I think most fans would accept this.

For me and I have said this for decades the answer lies in Australian Professional Football connecting with its player base not by some demand for money to kept them afloat but for the player base to watch... has been an issue since the early 60's so the answer of how to do this is far from simple which is the mistake most make... its not a simple solution to connect to the base BUT it is the answer to grow Australian Professional Football... 
Edited
4 Years Ago by Midfielder
Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 12:27 PM
Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 11:57 AM

I said the product stands up well. I don't watch football for the ratings. If you do then you are watching the wrong sport, AFL or NRL are for you.

Wtf are you talking about. What do you think professional sport lives on? Hopes and dreams?

If the ratings drop significantly then next tv rights in 1 years time drops significantly. 

Therefore there will be far less money to pay players, kicking the league down to what will be a semi-pro status. How high a quality do you think the product will be then?
Brian Kidd
Brian Kidd
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)

Group: Banned Members

Don't waste your time on this guy or the small cabal of Aussie Rules trolls that he runs with.

He's just a serial pest sent here to do the bidding of the AFL

Football, the TRUE game of Australias 1914-1918 First World War heroes and original ANZACs

Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Cricket, the TRUE games of Australias 1914-1918 First World War shirkers, frauds and cowardly draft dodgers

scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Butler99 - 6 Aug 2020 6:18 AM
MarkfromCroydon - 6 Aug 2020 1:22 AM

How about asking the players if they would switch to winter and take a pay cut in line with the drop in tv money that may occur?

Go overseas or find another industry if they don’t like it.

Im sure there are plenty of players willing to take their places. 

Pay cut will happen anyway
Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Brian Kidd - 6 Aug 2020 3:05 PM

Don't waste your time on this guy or the small cabal of Aussie Rules trolls that he runs with.

He's just a serial pest sent here to do the bidding of the AFL

Moron, I've been an a-l supporter since the beginning.

I just don't like seeing idiot decisions (or potential decisions) being made that make the league commercially unviable 
Brian Kidd
Brian Kidd
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)Hardcore Fan (269 reputation)

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 4:11 PM
Brian Kidd - 6 Aug 2020 3:05 PM

Moron, I've been an a-l supporter since the beginning.

I just don't like seeing idiot decisions (or potential decisions) being made that make the league commercially unviable 

LOL if your claims were even remotely true, then you would be supporting the move to winter Football

Football, the TRUE game of Australias 1914-1918 First World War heroes and original ANZACs

Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Cricket, the TRUE games of Australias 1914-1918 First World War shirkers, frauds and cowardly draft dodgers

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Brian Kidd - 6 Aug 2020 4:33 PM
Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 4:11 PM

LOL if your claims were even remotely true, then you would be supporting the move to winter Football

Why would i support a move that would likely erode the revenue base of the competition significantly.

Absolutely stupid decisions like these threaten the survival of a-l teams.

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 4:47 PM

Why would i support a move that would likely erode the revenue base of the competition significantly.

Because that revenue is gone regardless of which season it is in. The falling ratings happened in summer. You are trying to tell me that the quality of the product doesn't matter, what matters is playing in summer when AFL fans can watch and reducing the salary cap so all the teams are equal. By concentrating on the football we can at least have a proper model and better quality.

I'm telling you, you don't need football, you need It's a Knockout or something.

Beaten by Eldar

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 6:07 PM

Because that revenue is gone regardless of which season it is in. The falling ratings happened in summer. You are trying to tell me that the quality of the product doesn't matter, what matters is playing in summer when AFL fans can watch and reducing the salary cap so all the teams are equal. By concentrating on the football we can at least have a proper model and better quality.

I'm telling you, you don't need football, you need It's a Knockout or something.

What do you mean the revenue is gone?

The next season is a 30 mill contract, this is based on the rough viewing average of 30,000 (from memory). The average ratings for winter have been around 10,000!

So yes that 30mill a year can go much lower if the FFA want to commit suicide and have the a-l in winter.

There will almost certainly be crowd drop offs as well.

We'll of course have teams financially collapsing left, right and center but hey, the quality right!

As long as the TRUE football supporters are satisfied on a forum then it's all hunky dori
Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 7:36 PM
Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 6:07 PM

What do you mean the revenue is gone?

The next season is a 30 mill contract, this is based on the rough viewing average of 30,000 (from memory). The average ratings for winter have been around 10,000!

So yes that 30mill a year can go much lower if the FFA want to commit suicide and have the a-l in winter.

There will almost certainly be crowd drop offs as well.

We'll of course have teams financially collapsing left, right and center but hey, the quality right!

As long as the TRUE football supporters are satisfied on a forum then it's all hunky dori

Whats happening in the Swans Pies game?

Beaten by Eldar

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 7:55 PM
Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 7:36 PM

Whats happening in the Swans Pies game?

Actually watching adl v syd. 
But of course you've resorted to a cheap shot because the numbers are against your point of view.
Got it..
heyitsrobbie1984
heyitsrobbie1984
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

I should also state that the NSL died while their league was in summer, so to stay in summer and expect change is just nuts. A definition of madness
Brian Kidd
Brian Kidd
Hardcore Fan

The evidence is in and it is beyond dispute that the ONLY "stupid decision" is to continue trying to play attractive Football in 35 degrees plus summers

Eldar
Eldar
Pro

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 8:18 PM
Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 7:55 PM

Actually watching adl v syd. 
But of course you've resorted to a cheap shot because the numbers are against your point of view.
Got it..

Oh wow, so you think football people will watch football first in winter?

Beaten by Eldar

Jegga7698
Jegga7698
Hardcore Fan

Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 8:30 PM
Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 8:18 PM

Oh wow, so you think football people will watch football first in winter?

I don't care about some vague term "football person" used by douchebags.

I care about the numbers as they will dictate future of the league's ability to survive.

Winter football has produced on average 1/3 of the viewers as summer football.

That's the bottom line.
heyitsrobbie1984
heyitsrobbie1984
Super Fan
Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)Super Fan (167 reputation)

Jegga7698 - 6 Aug 2020 8:39 PM
Eldar - 6 Aug 2020 8:30 PM

I don't care about some vague term "football person" used by douchebags.

I care about the numbers as they will dictate future of the league's ability to survive.

Winter football has produced on average 1/3 of the viewers as summer football.

That's the bottom line.

I support the game being played in winter, because most of the players want it, and it's for their well being.
I'm sick of this league handicapping itself vs the NRL/AFL and other AFC leagues just because we don't have the spine to think about ourselves. remember, football is the most played sport in the country and we should do everything to take advantage of that. to hell with what everyone thinks.
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search