Legacy of Socceroo coaches 2005 onwards

Legacy of Socceroo coaches 2005 onwards

Author
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
LFC. - 10 Aug 2020 3:12 PM
Decentric - 8 Aug 2020 9:28 AM

yes we don't sit back much and consider thats not too bad considering our own constant challenges at home for our players here and abroad and the cluster F with our governing body over all these years.
Were harsh critics due to our passion and will to deliver.
You'd only wish to be in Guus's position out of them all, he had a squad capable to do something with some luck as you always need in games whereas the the rest have ground it out pretty hard - the last taking the longest route to qualify.
Sitting on the couch is bad enough heart attack material, imagine what goes through their minds and hearts in games.
Ange/Brazil was killing me the most I don't blame him one bit finally deciding enough is enough its a damn hard gig.

I stupidly mentioned on a Scottish football forum last year (cos they were slagging off Rogic and Arzani) that Australia had qualified for 4 consecutive Wcups and just got told that Australia only qualify due to being in Asia and that we don’t have to defeat any ‘good’ countries like England and Wales like Scotland does etc. Told them to go eat more haggis! Soccer is not our number 1 national sport like Europe and Uk so IT IS A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT BY OUR NT 👍

Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Balin Trev - 10 Aug 2020 4:09 PM

I stupidly mentioned on a Scottish football forum last year (cos they were slagging off Rogic and Arzani) that Australia had qualified for 4 consecutive Wcups and just got told that Australia only qualify due to being in Asia and that we don’t have to defeat any ‘good’ countries like England and Wales like Scotland does etc. Told them to go eat more haggis! Soccer is not our number 1 national sport like Europe and Uk so IT IS A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT BY OUR NT 👍

True.

They'd have no idea about any football across the English Channel and North Sea.
Decentric
Decentric
Legend
Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)Legend (23K reputation)

Decentric - 8 Aug 2020 9:28 AM

yes we don't sit back much and consider thats not too bad considering our own constant challenges at home for our players here and abroad and the cluster F with our governing body over all these years.
Were harsh critics due to our passion and will to deliver.
You'd only wish to be in Guus's position out of them all, he had a squad capable to do something with some luck as you always need in games whereas the the rest have ground it out pretty hard - the last taking the longest route to qualify.
Sitting on the couch is bad enough heart attack material, imagine what goes through their minds and hearts in games.
Ange/Brazil was killing me the most I don't blame him one bit finally deciding enough is enough its a damn hard gig.

The opposition knew little about Australia in Germany 2006, which was a great advantage for Guus.
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Decentric - 10 Aug 2020 10:17 PM

The opposition knew little about Australia in Germany 2006, which was a great advantage for Guus.

hum there's just one main thing about that D.
All NT Coachs/TD's would have done their homework as any does once their Group is known.
Quali game footage and the players backgrounds.
The only element of surprise to opponents that we actually and finally made it.
They sure would have known about these guys for starters :
England was the preferred destination for the vast majority of the stars of the Socceroos’ in 2006, with Schwarzer, Lucas Neill, Tim Cahill, Mark Viduka, Craig Moore, Harry Kewell and Brett Emerton all playing Premier League football in 2006. Aloisi and Bresciano played in Spain and Italy respectively.
Thats 7 key start up players right there for starters followed by Kalac/Culina/Chippers/Poppa/Grella playing abroad and who ever else I've missed - the rest in the link
https://www.topendsports.com/events/worldcupsoccer/countries/australia/squad-2006.htm

Love Football

Edited
4 Years Ago by LFC.
patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Decentric - 10 Aug 2020 9:50 AM
Footballking55 - 8 Aug 2020 2:29 PM

I think Arnie has the attributes to be a  very successful  international coach, FK55.

His big problem is to stop boasting before games and  tournaments about how the Socceroos will dominate the opposition. He gives opposition teams motivation to try even harder against us. He needs to be a lot more respectful to the opposition, like Pim, Bert or Ange.

At one stage I was dark on  Arnie , because he claimed we needed to continue with the policy of selecting football athletes for underage teams like pre 2005, as opposed to technicians.

Recently though he has said the technical skill of underage national team players exceeds anything he has seen before in any era in Aus. I think if Arnie  could learn  to shut his mouth, and pay respect to  the opposition, he can become one of our greatest coaches. Poignantly, he sees the link between underage national teams and the national senior team. He his fast tracking capable young  players.

Matt Ryan said Arnie is one the few coaches he has played under at  club and international level, who is both a good man manager and tactician.  Ryan claims most other coaches are one or the other.

Ange was never respectful of the opposition. 
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

LFC. - 11 Aug 2020 12:26 PM
Decentric - 10 Aug 2020 10:17 PM

hum there's just one main thing about that D.
All NT Coachs/TD's would have done their homework as any does once their Group is known.
Quali game footage and the players backgrounds.
The only element of surprise to opponents that we actually and finally made it.
They sure would have known about these guys for starters :
England was the preferred destination for the vast majority of the stars of the Socceroos’ in 2006, with Schwarzer, Lucas Neill, Tim Cahill, Mark Viduka, Craig Moore, Harry Kewell and Brett Emerton all playing Premier League football in 2006. Aloisi and Bresciano played in Spain and Italy respectively.
Thats 7 key start up players right there for starters followed by Kalac/Culina/Chippers/Poppa/Grella playing abroad and who ever else I've missed - the rest in the link
https://www.topendsports.com/events/worldcupsoccer/countries/australia/squad-2006.htm

I've seen this view advanced quite a lot by significant stakeholders in the Aus football  fraternity, LFC.

We didn't really have a mandated style in 2006. There may not have been much prior footage of Australia playing the Guus way available to opposition coaches.

At the 2014 WC under Ange, I think a Croatian coach stated that the Socceroos looked very much like a Dutch team the way they trained, set up, etc. Interesting comment after a solid 6 years of Dutch, French, German and Spanish based FFA NC.

Even in 2010, all those Socceroo Asian WCQs would have been available to opposition coaches.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Decentric
Decentric
Decentric
Legend

patjennings - 11 Aug 2020 12:33 PM
Decentric - 10 Aug 2020 9:50 AM

Ange was never respectful of the opposition. 

I can't remember him ever saying Aus was going to dominate the opposition like Arnie has done.

I seem to remember  Ange being  respectful of the 2014 WC opponents, Holland, Spain and Chile.

patjennings
patjennings
World Class
World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)World Class (6.9K reputation)

Decentric - 11 Aug 2020 1:16 PM
patjennings - 11 Aug 2020 12:33 PM

I can't remember him ever saying Aus was going to dominate the opposition like Arnie has done.

I seem to remember  Ange being  respectful of the 2014 WC opponents, Holland, Spain and Chile.

If he was respectful of the opposition and of the World Cup in general he wouldn't have gone in with such a green defence and keeper into the world Cup. I found it disrespectful to the opposition, to the World Cup and to Schwarzer who was still the best keeper we had. And if anyone thinks that Schwarzer retired and wasn't pushed I have some land in the Lane Cove River to sell you.

To treat a World Cup in the way he did as a warm up event for the Asian cup was also disrespectful for the generations who tried and failed to qualify through a harder route in earlier times for the World Cup. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

patjennings - 11 Aug 2020 8:37 PM

If he was respectful of the opposition and of the World Cup in general he wouldn't have gone in with such a green defence and keeper into the world Cup. I found it disrespectful to the opposition, to the World Cup and to Schwarzer who was still the best keeper we had. And if anyone thinks that Schwarzer retired and wasn't pushed I have some land in the Lane Cove River to sell you.

To treat a World Cup in the way he did as a warm up event for the Asian cup was also disrespectful for the generations who tried and failed to qualify through a harder route in earlier times for the World Cup. 

Taggart starting against Spain. Halloran getting minutes....

yeah it was nice of Ryan to repay with the terrible match against Holland. 
scott20won
scott20won
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

The best tactical move Ange did in Brazil was bringing off Franjic. He was getting slaughtered by Chile. Even then it was through an injury.

Troisi was best against Spain. Don’t know why it took so long.

You can’t go to a WC and build for the next WC. 
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

Totally agree. Ange leaving out Lucas Neill, Archie Thompson, Schwarzer was terrible. His only ‘saving grace’ was Cahill scoring 2 goals
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

arrogance pretty much sums up that time for his "vision" and we got owned big time.
Balin Trev yep those stalwarts were what was needed, our biggest games when in a WC Grp for lets face it, were pretty much not expected to advance so every single one of those are Finals and he took us to a gun fight with a knife.

Love Football

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Hiddink without doubt had the biggest influence on where the game sat in Australia.  The success of the local A-League, public, media and corporate interest that followed were hugely influenced by his performance at the 2006 WC.  He didn't stay on afterwards and I think he knew that the qualification for the next WC would be be more difficult through Asia and the squad was aging and the replacements were not at that same level. Hailed in the Dutch influence at all coaching levels of the game locally. Without doubt he left the biggest legacy.

Verbeek is possibly the most polarizing of coaches.  Some have said he did "just enough to get through"- except that even with a very long qualifying stage, we ended up as the first or second in the World to qualify for the WC.  

Some called him "dour"- I think he played with what he had to get results that we needed.  If anything that perception of him just exposed Australia's immaturity and naivety when it came to playing tournament football.  He's tenure is regrettably mostly remembered by that game against Germany- the one where Garcia had a shot cleared off the line in the opening minutes, Cahill got sent off, and a German team that played unlike any German team before them and also put 4 goals past England and Messi's Argentina.  He was also criticized for not playing youth, but the debutants under him include Tommy Oar, Mile Jedinak, James Troisi, James Holland, and Jade North became mainstay, and even Mark Bridge and Bruce Djite got a go. Remains as equal most points at a WC.

Postecoglou.  Did a wholesale clean-out- an approach he used at club level to great success.  A philosophy of possession at all costs, attack and we'll worry about defending at some undefined point in the future meant  zero points and a -6 GD, but he also knew no-one would blame him after Osiek was dumped.  Crowning achievement was the Asia Cup in 2015, (controversially he omitted Aaron Mooy)  The WC 2018 qualifiers were heart in mouth stuff and failure to qualify was as close as just one shot off the post.   In the end I think he genuinely does care for Australian football but his tenure was also about him and his ego,  culminating in him bailing out the job for the 2018 WC and leaving van Marjwijk to pick the pieces. 

Osiek- less said the better.

van Marwijk.  Was able to organize and shore up the defense in 6 months better than Postecoglou could achieve in 4 years.  This is a hallmark of all 3 Dutch coaches we've had, beginning with Hiddink.  Excellent performances against eventual Champions France and highly-rated Denmark.  I think even he was surprised at how diabolically bad Australia's finishing was.  I think the team really got up for these two big teams and forgot that that Peru team was pretty good and showed us how to finish.

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

One thing he is known for is getting rid of senior squad members.  He did it at Brisbane too. I think he does this so as to have total powerand no challenges to his authority.  It really is his way or the highway.
AJF
AJF
Pro

I didnt have an issue with Ange getting rid of the old timers and starting to lay the foundations for the future. I mean Neil hadnt played for more than 12 months (may of even been close to 2 years) and was expecting to be captain, could never happen. Schwarzer was 41 and warming the pine in Chelsea so not sure how you could justify picking him and Archie, as much as I love him, he was also 36 and only really performed against Oceania teams so

Personally, I think Ange was expecting a long stay as NT coach and many of his decisions on players were done to build a legacy, but after Gallop/Lowy told him to tow the corporate line, I reckon he cracked the shits and left.

I really wasnt fan of him experimenting with formations during the WC qualifiers, but then everyone complained about Pim's conservative style and lack of blooding young players (me included) so NT coaches probably cant win.

Also, love the hate directed toward the guy who is arguably the most successful Aussie coach ever.

GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search