Meet the Serbia starlet who wants to play for Australia

Meet the Serbia starlet who wants to play for Australia

Author
jaymz
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Serbian youth international Marko Jankovic is attracting interest from the A-League and has declared his desire to represent Australia.

The Melbourne-born 17-year-old has played for Serbia at youth level but returned to his birthplace this year to live and is after a switch to the A-League.The World Game understands at least three A-League clubs are considering a move for the teenage striker for the new season. Jankovic relocated with his family to Serbia at the age of five and came through the youth teams of local sides Partizan Belgrade and FK Brodarac.Partizan’s academy is one of the most respected in Europe and has produced countless senior Serbian internationals such as Sasa Ilic, Savo Milosevic, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Nikola Milenkovic and Lazar Markovic.Jankovic previously played in the UEFA Youth League and for the Orlovi at youth level.

But the forward, who is eligible for Serbia, Australia and also Croatia, now wants to don the green and gold.“For Serbia I played against Spain, Ecuador, Slovakia, Montenegro, Macedonia,” Jankovic told The World Game.“I scored four goals and got two assists in five games. It was amazing, it was a pleasure to play for Serbia, I grew up there. But it’s my dream to play for Australia. “Although I represented Serbia at youth level, if I get an opportunity to wear the green and gold I would not think twice to be honest because I was born here. This is my country.“I have three passports because my mum was born in Croatia, so I have Croatian citizenship as well. But my dream is to play for Australia though.”Jankovic moved back to Melbourne this year with his mother just before COVID-19 hit. The striker has been training with NPL Victoria club Green Gully to maintain his fitness.“I was born here, I left Australia when I was five years old to go and live in Serbia,” he explained.“I played junior football there with Partizan Belgrade for five years.

Then I joined FK Brodarac, and I played in the youth Champions League against Manchester United two years ago.“That’s where I’ve spent the last few years. I’ve been training a little bit with Green Gully, then the coronavirus started.“The A-League is my goal for next season. I want to be patient and wait for an opportunity as I’m at an important age in my career now.“In Europe, at 17 years old they consider you old, but in Australia they consider you young. I want to ensure I join a club that gives young players an opportunity to play. Growing up playing football in Serbia is very competitive.“It’s tough and rough, they treat you like adults from a very young age. Everyone wants to make it so you need to work harder than everyone else. It’s such a high standard there.”Jankovic grew up looking up to Portuguese phenomenon Cristiano Ronaldo, and the likes of strikers such as Robert Lewandowski and Ciro Immobile.The teenager considers himself a traditional target man who can also play on the wing.“When I was a kid it was always Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo,” he admitted.“But for me now, the best strikers in the world are Lewandowski and Immobile. My idols are Ronaldinho and Griezmann as I was born on the same day as them, March 25.“I like to play up front. Mainly I’m a number nine, a classical number nine but if the coach says, 'play on the wing', I can play on the wing as well. Wherever he says.[quote]

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/meet-the-serbia-starlet-who-wants-to-play-for-australia

Bowden
Bowden
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Nice. Wonder if he’s any good.
Balin Trev
Balin Trev
Pro
Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)Pro (3.8K reputation)

“For Serbia I played against Spain, Ecuador, Slovakia, Montenegro, Macedonia, I scored four goals and got two assists in five games.”

Potential there hopefully.

AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

another product of Australias award winning yoof development system!!

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

But does he like vegemite and does he drink beer out of a shoe? 

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

All those arguing against Boyle’s selection have gone quiet? 
Admittedly this guy did spend 5 years here.  But what if it was only 2 years or 6 months? Any artificial construct associated with spending a certain amount of time somewhere is arbitrary and meaningless. 

Dan_The_Red
Dan_The_Red
World Class
World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)World Class (6.5K reputation)

clockwork orange - 31 Oct 2020 12:42 PM
Admittedly this guy did spend 5 years here.  But what if it was only 2 years or 6 months? Any artificial construct associated with spending a certain amount of time somewhere is arbitrary and meaningless. 

Didn’t he say he’s born here?
AJF
AJF
Pro
Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)Pro (2.9K reputation)

Who’s gone quiet, that is still the stupidest thing FFA did and still upsets many people involved with junior football. Also it really reinforces the message that yoof development in this country is stuffed and FFA know it because they are trawling ancestry.com for Socceroos instead of local comps.

clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class
World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)World Class (8.6K reputation)

AJF - 31 Oct 2020 12:56 PM

Who’s gone quiet, that is still the stupidest thing FFA did and still upsets many people involved with junior football. Also it really reinforces the message that yoof development in this country is stuffed and FFA know it because they are trawling ancestry.com for Socceroos instead of local comps.

So where would you draw the line? If a kid is born in Australia? If he plays as a 5 year old then goes overseas? If he plays here till he’s 10? If he’s born overseas to Australian parents, and at 18 (when legally able) decides to move back to Australia? 
What would be your rule?

Barca4Life
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Unlike Boyle at least this kid was born here.

Boyle and Souttar haven't spent a day here prior to coming into the Socceroos side.
quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Oct 2020 10:02 PM

Very funny.

Imo, the actual pertinent question is does he remember living in Australia as a kid?
AJF
AJF
Pro

clockwork orange - 31 Oct 2020 1:02 PM

So where would you draw the line? If a kid is born in Australia? If he plays as a 5 year old then goes overseas? If he plays here till he’s 10? If he’s born overseas to Australian parents, and at 18 (when legally able) decides to move back to Australia? 
What would be your rule?

This kid was so interested in playing for the Socceroos that he represented Serbia’s as a Junior. 

The desperation to claim anyone as an Aussie by some people really is disgraceful and says a lot about our development system here,

Davstar
Davstar
World Class
World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)World Class (9.7K reputation)

AJF - 31 Oct 2020 7:57 PM

This kid was so interested in playing for the Socceroos that he represented Serbia’s as a Junior. 

The desperation to claim anyone as an Aussie by some people really is disgraceful and says a lot about our development system here,

If the kid can play i honestly dont care - we are trash at the moment and could use every potential we can get! 

these Kangaroos can play football - 
Ange P. (Intercontinental WC Play-offs 2017) 

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF FOOTBALL

Josh
Josh
Pro

Same boring argument every time. 
The bloke wants to play for Australia, he is Australian. 

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Well the solution there is to fix our system.

If we had the best youth development and professional football system in the world, it would be the players overseas trawling ancestry.com begging for a gig with the team that will win the next World Cup, not the other way around.

Work with what you've got.
Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

AJF - 31 Oct 2020 7:57 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2002/1820871.stm

Edited
4 Years Ago by paladisious
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

Barca4Life - 31 Oct 2020 1:07 PM

Unlike Boyle at least this kid was born here.

Boyle and Souttar haven't spent a day here prior to coming into the Socceroos side.

You’ve pointed out 3 facts that everyone already knew. Well done. I gather you disagree with the current rules. 
But you don’t have an opinion on what the rule should be?

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

quickflick - 31 Oct 2020 6:44 PM

Very funny.

Imo, the actual pertinent question is does he remember living in Australia as a kid?

:) Maybe all potential Socceroos should be hypnotized by one of those stage magician dudes and asked on live television to cluck like a chicken and also what they remember about life before they were 5. Maybe Scopelimine and a seasoned Guantanamo interrogator can get the truth out of these pesky fake Aussies. 

quickflick
quickflick
World Class
World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)World Class (6.3K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 31 Oct 2020 11:02 PM
quickflick - 31 Oct 2020 6:44 PM

:) Maybe all potential Socceroos should be hypnotized by one of those stage magician dudes and asked on live television to cluck like a chicken and also what they remember about life before they were 5. Maybe Scopelimine and a seasoned Guantanamo interrogator can get the truth out of these pesky fake Aussies. 

Haha. Not calling him a fake Aussie. The question (for representing a nation in football)  is whether he’s dramatically more Serbian than he is Aussie. Either way, he’s a human being and that’s more important than being Australian or any other nationality. This is just international sport. But to the extent that it exists...

My view is the same as Munrubenmuz’s from the other thread (when he answered three questions about hypotheticals).

If the lad only remembers living in Serbia his whole life and has no recollection of living in Australia, then he really ought to be playing for Serbia. By all means he can move here and be an Aussie citizen, but he ought to be representing Serbia.

If he remembers living in Australia, then he should be able to pick between Serbia and Australia (just as Daniel Arzani could reasonably have picked Iran or Australia with a strong emotional and lived connection with both). If this lad remembers living here, then it’s basically reasonable and kind of like the Alex de Minaur situation in tennis.

But I’m happy to agree to disagree with you on that.
Angus
Angus
Pro
Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)Pro (4.7K reputation)

Seems a very Australian football thing to do, having an in-depth discussion about the eligibility of a young lad for the NT when he is only training with a strong NPL side and hasn’t picked up an AL gig despite most of the players in the league having already nicked off to India.
sportaddict
sportaddict
Pro
Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)Pro (2.1K reputation)

quickflick - 1 Nov 2020 12:50 AM

Haha. Not calling him a fake Aussie. The question (for representing a nation in football)  is whether he’s dramatically more Serbian than he is Aussie. Either way, he’s a human being and that’s more important than being Australian or any other nationality. This is just international sport. But to the extent that it exists...

My view is the same as Munrubenmuz’s from the other thread (when he answered three questions about hypotheticals).

If the lad only remembers living in Serbia his whole life and has no recollection of living in Australia, then he really ought to be playing for Serbia. By all means he can move here and be an Aussie citizen, but he ought to be representing Serbia.

If he remembers living in Australia, then he should be able to pick between Serbia and Australia (just as Daniel Arzani could reasonably have picked Iran or Australia with a strong emotional and lived connection with both). If this lad remembers living here, then it’s basically reasonable and kind of like the Alex de Minaur situation in tennis.

The guy was born in Australia, and is living in Australia at the moment. Enough said. If he wants to play for Australia he should be able to play for Australia. 
clockwork orange
clockwork orange
World Class

I think we could be onto something. Let’s not use genealogy or legal right to citizenship to determine nationality. Let’s use a memory test!😄
jasongenova
jasongenova
Hacker
Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)Hacker (438 reputation)

another TWG Football agent article, they tried hard with Danzo to promote him, didnt get picked up by any A league club. 
DandyCasey
DandyCasey
Hardcore Fan
Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)Hardcore Fan (289 reputation)

https://youtu.be/7rPmUnlKLvQ
Nunya
Nunya
Hacker
Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)Hacker (368 reputation)

Has any player TWG has promoted as "meet the" gone on to do anything special?
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

No disagreement dude I actually enjoy the differing point of view .  Ultimately it all boils down to what your perception is of "Aussieness" 
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

LoL.

Member since 2008.

lebo_roo
lebo_roo
Pro
Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)Pro (2.2K reputation)

Nunya - 1 Nov 2020 6:08 PM
Has any player TWG has promoted as "meet the" gone on to do anything special?

😅😅😂😂 That is the headline for most of their articles these days. They have gone downhill so bad. TWG dont even have Australian based journalists. 
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search