The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

The Aussies Abroad Thread 2

Author
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 5:30 AM
grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 4:30 AM

Schalke are determined to avoid relegation and have been getting surprising away draws of late. I expect them to be pumped at home to get a win so they can breathe a bit. 

If dusseldorf lose st pauli only need one win
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend
Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)Legend (17K reputation)

3-0 all over surely. Huge opening for ipswich who have 2 extra games and only 1 point behind
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

With that Leicester are officially promoted. Leeds are in massive trouble with only 1 game to play while Ipswich have 3. Tricky games for Ipswich. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Group: Moderators
What’s so bad about Metcalfe becoming a LWB?

LB / LWB is probably the Socceroos weakest position in terms of depth. Seems like it would be a positive thing for the NT. 
Capac
Capac
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)Semi-Pro (1.2K reputation)

Bowden - 27 Apr 2024 8:48 AM

LB / LWB is probably the Socceroos weakest position in terms of depth. Seems like it would be a positive thing for the NT. 

I think because he clearly isn't attuned to playing there. 

He plays in this position for a specific purpose at St Pauli and it fits the game plan to a point where he can use his strengths there. 

Arnie plays a completely different style and playing Metcalfe at LB or LWB for the Socceroos under Arnie would be a disaster. It's like when McGree plays LM/LW at Middlesbrough he plays a drifting role but under Arnie left wing is a winger and players have a lot less freedom of expression or movement. We saw how much better we looked when a natural left winger came in with Goodwin. Arnie tries to put round pegs into square holes. 
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)

With Bos there, Rowles to cover and Farrell coming through I'm pretty bullish with left back. I'm more concerned about RB.

I like Strain. Miller has potential imo, though I get the impression i'm on my own there. I don't rate Jones or Atkinson much. They're just okay. 

It makes me wonder if Metcalfe would work as a RB? He could be an upgrade on our other options. 
Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Good points made, appreciate the detailed responses, and I like the McGree winger comparison. 

Considering our crazy depth at CM, I do understand the desire for us to fit as many of our talented players as possible into our NT side, but that’s only if it can work of course. 

Bowden
Bowden
Legend

Quicky - 27 Apr 2024 2:00 PM

It makes me wonder if Metcalfe would work as a RB? He could be an upgrade on our other options. 

Metcalfe is left footed so would be unlikely. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend
Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)Legend (27K reputation)

Derby 3 points and 4 goals ahead of Bolton on final day. Lunch time kick off's today in League 1. Derby host bottom Carlisle while Bolton are at Lincoln who will be desperate to make the Playoffs. 
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)

Robertson baller 

https://x.com/LHanalysis_/status/1783922501879284176

johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Final day of League 1 with no AMB which is unfortunate given I think he's going to wave Charlton and a send off would've been nice. Bilokapic bench.

Iredale bench for Bolton but Jones starts while Derby have Elder on the bench. Yengi bench. 2 Playoff spots up for grabs and Fleetwood may yet jump Burton for safety. Derby should be fine to go up but I'd much prefer Bolton get the automatic spot. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 8:37 PM
Final day of League 1 with no AMB which is unfortunate given I think he's going to wave Charlton and a send off would've been nice. Bilokapic bench.

Iredale bench for Bolton but Jones starts while Derby have Elder on the bench. Yengi bench. 2 Playoff spots up for grabs and Fleetwood may yet jump Burton for safety. Derby should be fine to go up but I'd much prefer Bolton get the automatic spot. 

shame about bilokapic. Thought he won his spot back. Maybe he lost it again
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 8:56 PM
johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 8:37 PM

shame about bilokapic. Thought he won his spot back. Maybe he lost it again

Peterborough have been in League limbo for so many weeks with a guaranteed Playoff spot and EFL Trophy final to try and win. Just a bit of rotation. Lots of squads with big rotation across the league today. 

He's probably got to move on again. Missing out on the U23 tournament and his club situation is capping his trajectory big time. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Kaiserslautern lead in Kiel. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Bolton and Derby with early leads. Carlisle would need to defeat Derby for Bolton to have a chance. It's surely not oh. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Clutch match for circati. 3 points clear of auto promotion with a game in hand. Parma have 4 matches to go. Win today and they are just one win away
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 27 Apr 2024 10:00 PM
Clutch match for circati. 3 points clear of auto promotion with a game in hand. Parma have 4 matches to go. Win today and they are just one win away

Venice have shot up the last few weeks. It was Cremonese who appeared a threat but bow they've dropped off. Crucial that Parma win today. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Circati with an assist

How many clutch plays from aussies fighting for promotion the last few weeks?
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Big day in Bundesliga 2. Kaiserslautern up 3:1 in Kiel with 4min left. Hamburg with a big win that puts them just 3 points off Düsseldorf. In turn that puts Wiesbaden in the relegation Playoff spot until they play tomorrow. Schalke getting a result against Düsseldorf later helps St Pauli and will see them pull a bit more away from Wiesbaden. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

johnszasz - 27 Apr 2024 10:47 PM
Big day in Bundesliga 2. Kaiserslautern up 3:1 in Kiel with 4min left. Hamburg with a big win that puts them just 3 points off Düsseldorf. In turn that puts Wiesbaden in the relegation Playoff spot until they play tomorrow. Schalke getting a result against Düsseldorf later helps St Pauli and will see them pull a bit more away from Wiesbaden. 

If dusseldorf drop points then st pauli are all but home
bbouy
bbouy
Rising Star
Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)Rising Star (855 reputation)

Massive 3-0 lead for Parma. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Derby go up. A late goal for Northampton puts Barnsley on 6th meaning they'll face Bolton while Peterborough face Oxford. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Tete Yengi suspended. Boyle starting. No Miller. Triantis bench. Rowles and Devlin starting. No Atkinson. Silvera bench but no Glover.
Quicky
Quicky
Rising Star
Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)Rising Star (858 reputation)

I didn't realise Weisbaden were in the relegation zone. I hope they stay up for Iredales sake. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Has liam miller fallen out of favour
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

grazorblade - 28 Apr 2024 12:42 AM
Has liam miller fallen out of favour

Surely an injury as he was subbed off after 34min 5 games ago. 
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Quicky - 28 Apr 2024 12:17 AM
I didn't realise Weisbaden were in the relegation zone. I hope they stay up for Iredales sake. 

They've got the worst record in this second season half with just 10 points. They looked comfortable but their losses and draws are slowing them conspired to everyone else around them winning. Red cards have made it even more difficult.

Home game against Fürth then likewise against Kiel. The latter will be particularly tough even if Kiel lost today. Finish at home against St Pauli who should be up by then but I doubt they'll throw the game. Second last game is away to Braunschweig in a Relegation 6 pointer. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Bos is starting
johnszasz
johnszasz
Legend

Luongo and Burgess starting. 5 points will be enough from 3 games for Ipswich to go up. Ipswich could do it themselves tonight and then on Tuesday without having to wait for the final match day night weekend. 
grazorblade
grazorblade
Legend

Big goal from ipswich
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search