Official South Melbourne FC thread

Official South Melbourne FC thread

Author
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Big thanks to the players at Choakleigh ..... made the weekend so much better.
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Jun 2022 10:30 PM
Back to winning ways lads, well done.
https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1535595473545097217?cxt=HHwWgsDT9c_8w88qAAAA
Max Mikkola, having a great impact 2 goals and 2 assists, can't ask for much more than that.... 
Dominant, display we didn't get out of 2nd gear and didn't need too.
Jurkovic second yellow and send off killed it for Dinamo but they had parked the bus well and truly by then anyway.... Hume away next week, let's hope Erdogan doesn't decide to invade Santorini and Mykonos this week otherwise it might be a spicy affair.... :)

Is it just me or do we largely play ordinary football? We have no capacity to win the ball in midfield, we literally only regain possession if the opposition pass straight to us or after they’ve had a shot on goal. I can’t put my figure on it but we never look dominant. We have completely spammed the long throw goals this year, I feel if it wasn’t for Mikkola, Sawyer and the keeper we would be mid table.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend
Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)Legend (10K reputation)

southmelb - 14 Jun 2022 6:22 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 12 Jun 2022 10:30 PM

Is it just me or do we largely play ordinary football? We have no capacity to win the ball in midfield, we literally only regain possession if the opposition pass straight to us or after they’ve had a shot on goal. I can’t put my figure on it but we never look dominant. We have completely spammed the long throw goals this year, I feel if it wasn’t for Mikkola, Sawyer and the keeper we would be mid table.

In all fairness I think the last 4,5 rounds have been absolutely chalk and cheese with the first 12... It maybe seems like we have played like this all season but it wasn't that long ago, I wanna say before the Oakleigh game, where we played through an actual midfield of Wallen, Langois and sometimes Sawyer feeding Webb and Andy, who played the wings feeding to a back to goals turned Sawyer quite well... Yes we have completely made a mockery of the long throw in but that has only been the first 2 or 3 games of the season  and these last 2 or 3.  Max's form has been missing for a good chunk of the season. I think we're just gonna have to ride out this weird ass midfielder less season and see what happens when Esteban either wins the whole fucking lot or chokes miserably in the last few rounds... Jankovic is back next week so let's see what 4 players make up our defensive line THIS WEEK?......
southmelb
southmelb
World Class
World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)World Class (5.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 14 Jun 2022 10:11 PM
southmelb - 14 Jun 2022 6:22 PM

In all fairness I think the last 4,5 rounds have been absolutely chalk and cheese with the first 12... It maybe seems like we have played like this all season but it wasn't that long ago, I wanna say before the Oakleigh game, where we played through an actual midfield of Wallen, Langois and sometimes Sawyer feeding Webb and Andy, who played the wings feeding to a back to goals turned Sawyer quite well... Yes we have completely made a mockery of the long throw in but that has only been the first 2 or 3 games of the season  and these last 2 or 3.  Max's form has been missing for a good chunk of the season. I think we're just gonna have to ride out this weird ass midfielder less season and see what happens when Esteban either wins the whole fucking lot or chokes miserably in the last few rounds... Jankovic is back next week so let's see what 4 players make up our defensive line THIS WEEK?......

Mikkola is suspended this week.

Transfer window opens next week, think we desperately need to find a quality CM.

I think prior to Oakleigh game we would actually press the opposition for patches and cause turnovers which allowed us to launch attacks from advanced positions. Ever since that game we've become a sit back, absorb pressure type team. It doesnt feel like a style of play right now thats championship worthy.
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

southmelb - 14 Jun 2022 10:37 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 14 Jun 2022 10:11 PM

Mikkola is suspended this week.

Transfer window opens next week, think we desperately need to find a quality CM.

I think prior to Oakleigh game we would actually press the opposition for patches and cause turnovers which allowed us to launch attacks from advanced positions. Ever since that game we've become a sit back, absorb pressure type team. It doesnt feel like a style of play right now thats championship worthy.

Were lucky we've got an easy-ish run to the end of season, baring Oakleigh and Gully I don't fear anyone else.... Avondale?.... hahahah so glad the wheels, fell of that nobody club. Agree on the  CM, what do you think of Pierce Waring from Bentleigh? I think he could play deep  between wingers ( if esteban insists on continuing) and can run into the passing lanes off Harry up top.... certainly caused us trouble the other week.? 
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://mobile.twitter.com/smfc/status/1539124979551326208?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Big game vs Ajax on Friday, they've got shaky form  but always a handful and 1st v 4th.....Oaks v Port is the match of the round 2nd v 3rd and I think the Sharks will get one over them at home,,,,,
Edited
2 Years Ago by Monoethnic Social Club
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

@Mono

Avondale have lost both Barcia (Oakleigh) and Germano (Preston) before the transfer window closed. Actually thought Barcia was decent in the times I watched him, so it's a surprise they've allowed him to depart. Did you guys lose/gain many during the transfer window? I'm quite pleased with the business done at Somers St, though it'd have been nice to strengthen a bit further. Whether or not that was actually possible, I'm not too sure though.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 30 Jun 2022 7:44 PM
@Mono

Avondale have lost both Barcia (Oakleigh) and Germano (Preston) before the transfer window closed. Actually thought Barcia was decent in the times I watched him, so it's a surprise they've allowed him to depart. Did you guys lose/gain many during the transfer window? I'm quite pleased with the business done at Somers St, though it'd have been nice to strengthen a bit further. Whether or not that was actually possible, I'm not too sure though.

Hey PIFA ... radio silence from the club, I don't think we did any business this window, apart from  Morgan Evans from the 21s given a senior contract ( well deserved) and another 21s lad being let go.....  not that I have heard  anyway  but might hear some news on the weekend, when does the window close or has it already? Not surprised with Germano but Barcia seems like the kind of player CT would gamble on at Oakleigh,  but I can't see him slotting in to an already stacked Oakleigh 1st 11.  What business did Croatia do, I've gotta admit, with EOFY I'm swamped at work and haven't been paying much attention? How about other clubs, any tasty moves? I guess some of the plebs are arming up for their magical FA cup flops? The Bergers apparently signed two of the wrong Petratos brothers hahaah Ah Katsakis, never change:) 
Great to hear from you BTW.
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker
Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)Hacker (428 reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Jun 2022 10:55 PM

Hey PIFA ... radio silence from the club, I don't think we did any business this window, apart from  Morgan Evans from the 21s given a senior contract ( well deserved) and another 21s lad being let go.....  not that I have heard  anyway  but might hear some news on the weekend, when does the window close or has it already? Not surprised with Germano but Barcia seems like the kind of player CT would gamble on at Oakleigh,  but I can't see him slotting in to an already stacked Oakleigh 1st 11.  What business did Croatia do, I've gotta admit, with EOFY I'm swamped at work and haven't been paying much attention? How about other clubs, any tasty moves? I guess some of the plebs are arming up for their magical FA cup flops? The Bergers apparently signed two of the wrong Petratos brothers hahaah Ah Katsakis, never change:) 
Great to hear from you BTW.

We brought in two Kiwi lads George Ott (Wellington Phoenix) and Taylor Schrijvers (Miramar Rangers), and let go of Anthony Frangie and Fuki Ishibashi. I've been really impressed by our academy players that have graduated to the senior squad this season, with Luka Kolic the pick of the bunch, and looking extremely good at just 17yo. I wasn't that fussed when we signed Iradukunda from Greens during the off-season, but he's been a very solid player in the midfield, whilst Brice is (imo) still one of (if not) the best central defenders in the league.

Oakleigh have quite a lot of injuries atm, they've lost a few to knees apparently. They've signed Losty from Eastern Lions, and Barcia from Avondale. Avondale signed Golgol Mebrahtu following his stint at PSM Makassar, but I'm unaware of any other moves around the league, bar the Petratos brothers to Heidelberg.

League has been quite enjoyable this season, despite our form being up and down, and it just shows that if we were able to release the purse strings a bit more... we might actually challenge for honours. The main difference being that the vast majority of the clubs above us on the table are spending considerably more money on their players, whilst a few of the clubs below would be too! We just don't have the depth that many of the other clubs do, which is (ultimately) what will hold us back.

19-SU-58
19-SU-58
Pro
Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)Pro (2.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
@Mono

What happened with Anthony Frangie? he seemed to be one of knight's best at the start of the season. Surprised to see him leave mid year.

Not a Phase, Not a Trend, SYDNEY UNITED till the END! 

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 1 Jul 2022 6:46 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 30 Jun 2022 10:55 PM

We brought in two Kiwi lads George Ott (Wellington Phoenix) and Taylor Schrijvers (Miramar Rangers), and let go of Anthony Frangie and Fuki Ishibashi. I've been really impressed by our academy players that have graduated to the senior squad this season, with Luka Kolic the pick of the bunch, and looking extremely good at just 17yo. I wasn't that fussed when we signed Iradukunda from Greens during the off-season, but he's been a very solid player in the midfield, whilst Brice is (imo) still one of (if not) the best central defenders in the league.

Oakleigh have quite a lot of injuries atm, they've lost a few to knees apparently. They've signed Losty from Eastern Lions, and Barcia from Avondale. Avondale signed Golgol Mebrahtu following his stint at PSM Makassar, but I'm unaware of any other moves around the league, bar the Petratos brothers to Heidelberg.

League has been quite enjoyable this season, despite our form being up and down, and it just shows that if we were able to release the purse strings a bit more... we might actually challenge for honours. The main difference being that the vast majority of the clubs above us on the table are spending considerably more money on their players, whilst a few of the clubs below would be too! We just don't have the depth that many of the other clubs do, which is (ultimately) what will hold us back.

Ott played the other week if Im not mistaken and scored a tasty goal? Seems a good signing.

Can't say I am sorry for Oakleigh's injury woes.... not a fan of the club and how it is run at all (sorry for the lads that are hurt though)

Yeah I am enjoying this season too mate. First one in 3 years that looks like being completed (BTW how funny is Avondale going to court to have the 2021 season re-instated based on this years games and now looking like gifting a title to Oakleigh and them missing out? hahahahah). From a South perspective at least this year a few results have gone our way, looks we are at least a lock for 1-3rd and may even take the whole thing home... FORZA HELLAS >>>>>>>
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 1 Jul 2022 10:36 AM
PIFA - 1 Jul 2022 6:46 AM

Ott played the other week if Im not mistaken and scored a tasty goal? Seems a good signing.

Can't say I am sorry for Oakleigh's injury woes.... not a fan of the club and how it is run at all (sorry for the lads that are hurt though)

Yeah I am enjoying this season too mate. First one in 3 years that looks like being completed (BTW how funny is Avondale going to court to have the 2021 season re-instated based on this years games and now looking like gifting a title to Oakleigh and them missing out? hahahahah). From a South perspective at least this year a few results have gone our way, looks we are at least a lock for 1-3rd and may even take the whole thing home... FORZA HELLAS >>>>>>>

Ott is a very handy player. He's a big lad, so he throws himself about, draws a lot of fouls. The difference between him and Sawyer (imo) is the he's actually fouled most of the time, whereas Harrison is constantly throwing himself on the floor. Personal opinion, I'm not trying to bait you, etc. His (Ott) goal on debut was a nice finish, and his goal last week was a confident finish too. He's not shy to have a go, and he forces the GK into a save most of the time.

I think Frangie was moved on due to the signing of Taylor Schrijvers (CB), with the move pushing Jack Marth to RB. That means that Ssemakula can now play his natural positions further forward, and he's less likely to kick up a fuss if he doesn't start. I liked Frangie, but he was either very good, or anonymous: there was no in between.

I've similarly got no sympathy for Oakleigh. It sucks for the lads that are injured, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but as a club... they're just... meh. There's only one reason that players go there, and it's certainly not the "family feel" or "matchday atmosphere", that's for sure. I feel the same way against Avondale, who are also just a money club, and can offer nothing else to potential recruits... hence why they pay "overs" on everyone.

PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

@Mono

We've just announced the signing of Dylan Murnane. Interesting signing, could be a useful LB to have behind Albano, and should be alright at overlapping his winger too.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 1 Jul 2022 6:10 PM
@Mono

We've just announced the signing of Dylan Murnane. Interesting signing, could be a useful LB to have behind Albano, and should be alright at overlapping his winger too.

Interesting signing mate, from the Aleague yeah? As I thought we didn't make any new trades this window but the feel around the members is that our depth is pretty good and touch wood,  both Wallan and Lambropoulos are back from long term injuries.  Sorry to see you had to score in the dying minutes to get a goal back against relegation bound Hume to save you from walking out of ABD stadium with 3  nil...... lol , sorry that was below the belt... Ill watch your game later to see what the hell happened there....
Hellas walked out a comfortable 0 - 4 winners and with 3 crossbars and a couple of wayward shots it really should have been 3 or 4 more.... 4 goals by Harrison Sawyer BTW,  the man NOT as good as Ott..... hahahahahahahahah 
PIFA
PIFA
Hacker

Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Jul 2022 11:08 PM
PIFA - 1 Jul 2022 6:10 PM

Interesting signing mate, from the Aleague yeah? As I thought we didn't make any new trades this window but the feel around the members is that our depth is pretty good and touch wood,  both Wallan and Lambropoulos are back from long term injuries.  Sorry to see you had to score in the dying minutes to get a goal back against relegation bound Hume to save you from walking out of ABD stadium with 3  nil...... lol , sorry that was below the belt... Ill watch your game later to see what the hell happened there....
Hellas walked out a comfortable 0 - 4 winners and with 3 crossbars and a couple of wayward shots it really should have been 3 or 4 more.... 4 goals by Harrison Sawyer BTW,  the man NOT as good as Ott..... hahahahahahahahah 

Yep, Murnane arrives from the Jets. His debut wasn't that convincing if I'm honest, he seems to want to take all the set-pieces. The problem is: he's just not very good at them.

We were shocking last night, as was some of the refereeing. Hume pen was definitely a pen, then we were given a pen that WASN'T a pen (we missed anyway) and then we had two pen shouts that looked nailed on (commentary agreed) that were waved away. Seemed like a 'leveler' was given for the first shout, but it was baffling at the same time. Hume will survive, but if we defend the way we did last night... we won't get anywhere any time soon. It definitely could've gone differently last night, but Josh Bingham was the difference. He'll get a move elsewhere in the off-season (probs Oakleigh) in my opinion.

Also, I said that Ott actually gets fouled, whereas I feel that Sawyer hits the deck too easily. Nowhere did I say Ott was a better player... :unsure:

Edited
2 Years Ago by PIFA
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

PIFA - 3 Jul 2022 12:21 PM
Monoethnic Social Club - 2 Jul 2022 11:08 PM

Yep, Murnane arrives from the Jets. His debut wasn't that convincing if I'm honest, he seems to want to take all the set-pieces. The problem is: he's just not very good at them.

We were shocking last night, as was some of the refereeing. Hume pen was definitely a pen, then we were given a pen that WASN'T a pen (we missed anyway) and then we had two pen shouts that looked nailed on (commentary agreed) that were waved away. Seemed like a 'leveler' was given for the first shout, but it was baffling at the same time. Hume will survive, but if we defend the way we did last night... we won't get anywhere any time soon. It definitely could've gone differently last night, but Josh Bingham was the difference. He'll get a move elsewhere in the off-season (probs Oakleigh) in my opinion.

Also, I said that Ott actually gets fouled, whereas I feel that Sawyer hits the deck too easily. Nowhere did I say Ott was a better player... :unsure:

Yep Hume penalty was 100% but agree the ref had a terrible game... Bingham is an interesting one, I don't think he is CTs type of player,   I can see him at Somers St or maybe the Berger's..... but yeah agree he will move on from Hume.... I would have thought the Thunder would have gone after him instead of Franjie?.
As for my boy Harry Sawyer, for someone who doesn't get fouled as you claim, he certainly spends a lot of the game with the half back's hands wrapped firmly around his waist or his throat .... :)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

A belated HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to our WNPL squad making the final of the Nike State Cup, beating the "eggs on toast" in the semi with a thrilling come from behind win.
https://twitter.com/smfc/status/1545198760292102144?cxt=HHwWgMCt6b2F0_EqAAAA
Ladies I watched this match live on Youtube and that second half was just pure joy..... Thank you, thank you, thank you for representing the mighty Hellas with such class and pride. 
TheSelectFew
TheSelectFew
Legend
Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)Legend (30K reputation)

May be an image of 2 people and text
And on NPL.TV

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

https://twitter.com/smfc/status/1548826018948866050?cxt=HHwWhICj5dzDxP4qAAAA
Lovely win lads, it wasnt pretty but the fact that we are top of the table with 4 rounds to go and 5 points clear makes me very very proud..... LOVE THIS CLUB.......

BA81
BA81
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)Semi-Pro (2K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Jul 2022 10:55 AM

Cool to see Oakleigh finally did away w/that kindergarten/childcare-centre logo of theirs; new one looks good, though this fantasy one I saw online a while back would've been better still:

AyyLeague
AyyLeague
Hacker

BA81 - 18 Jul 2022 3:03 PM

Cool to see Oakleigh finally did away w/that kindergarten/childcare-centre logo of theirs; new one looks good, though this fantasy one I saw online a while back would've been better still:

Their new logo looks a bit flat imo, but that fantasy logo looks so much better.
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

https://twitter.com/smfc/status/1548826018948866050?cxt=HHwWhICj5dzDxP4qAAAA
Lovely win lads, it wasnt pretty but the fact that we are top of the table with 4 rounds to go and 5 points clear makes me very very proud..... LOVE THIS CLUB.......

Did you see they gave Sth Melbourne a 5 minute blurb at the beginning of the Man U / Victory game? Spoke to ex players etc about the world club challenge.

Member since 2008.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

AyyLeague - 18 Jul 2022 6:50 PM
BA81 - 18 Jul 2022 3:03 PM

Their new logo looks a bit flat imo, but that fantasy logo looks so much better.

I don't mind Oakleigh's new logo (its the fact the club President is married to the head of Football Victoria .... you know the organization that runs the league and pays the referees etc etc) its just that the soccer ball wheel is off centre and  makes it sooo lopsided and don't know what the 4 stars are  meant to represent?????? That new fantasy one looks mint I agree... shame to waste it on a crappy club like Choackleigh though.

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 18 Jul 2022 7:16 PM

Did you see they gave Sth Melbourne a 5 minute blurb at the beginning of the Man U / Victory game? Spoke to ex players etc about the world club challenge.

Yeah I did  Muz, I didn't know it was going to be on and was pleasantly surprised..... Brought back some great memories of when a semi pro Australian club earned their way to play Manchester Utd in an actual FIFA Club World Cup in Brazil!,,,, At the time we were soooo proud, it was unheard of in those days, it felt less likely than us playing on the moon...... 

Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Jul 2022 10:38 PM
Munrubenmuz - 18 Jul 2022 7:16 PM

Yeah I did  Muz, I didn't know it was going to be on and was pleasantly surprised..... Brought back some great memories of when a semi pro Australian club earned their way to play Manchester Utd in an actual FIFA Club World Cup in Brazil!,,,, At the time we were soooo proud, it was unheard of in those days, it felt less likely than us playing on the moon...... 

Sad in many ways ..... that Souths are not in the top division.... given their history...

I know its outside all thinking at this stage....but  I do wonder aloud if a big investor came along say a Twiggy Forrest or similar and offered to buy the club pour in mega heaps and use their influence would first the members sell and would APL let them in....
Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 19 Jul 2022 12:56 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Jul 2022 10:38 PM

Sad in many ways ..... that Souths are not in the top division.... given their history...

I know its outside all thinking at this stage....but  I do wonder aloud if a big investor came along say a Twiggy Forrest or similar and offered to buy the club pour in mega heaps and use their influence would first the members sell and would APL let them in....

The horse has bolted on that pipe dream Mid. Of course I cant speak for any other member but consensus amongst my group is that we would vote against anything like this now.
In 2018 Ross Pelligra and his company were willing to stump up 25 million for a license and first few years of operating costs, the state trust and Athletics Victoria were both on board with us making improvements to Lakeside. Foxtel staff had reportedly given it the green light and FOXSPORTS suits were seen around the ground A LOT in those last few months, even KPMG or whoever was auditing the bid process at the time (sorry cant remember off hand) were reporting back to our board that the bid was very comprehensive...... Guess the old FFA board didnt think our money, facilities, history, existing fan base and players were enough to erase the stigma of our "effnik sokkah" history.
Personally I am glad we were rejected now (it did feel very insulting at the time to be honest though). Rather support a members owned club until they throw me in a hole in the ground and poor dirt all over me...ONE LIFE, ONE LOVE, ONE CLUB ...... Sth Melb HELLAS for LIFE !!!!!!!!!
Midfielder
Midfielder
Pro
Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)Pro (4.9K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Jul 2022 10:07 AM
Midfielder - 19 Jul 2022 12:56 AM

The horse has bolted on that pipe dream Mid. Of course I cant speak for any other member but consensus amongst my group is that we would vote against anything like this now.
In 2018 Ross Pelligra and his company were willing to stump up 25 million for a license and first few years of operating costs, the state trust and Athletics Victoria were both on board with us making improvements to Lakeside. Foxtel staff had reportedly given it the green light and FOXSPORTS suits were seen around the ground A LOT in those last few months, even KPMG or whoever was auditing the bid process at the time (sorry cant remember off hand) were reporting back to our board that the bid was very comprehensive...... Guess the old FFA board didnt think our money, facilities, history, existing fan base and players were enough to erase the stigma of our "effnik sokkah" history.
Personally I am glad we were rejected now (it did feel very insulting at the time to be honest though). Rather support a members owned club until they throw me in a hole in the ground and poor dirt all over me...ONE LIFE, ONE LOVE, ONE CLUB ...... Sth Melb HELLAS for LIFE !!!!!!!!!

Fair enough SM still have a great history and a couple of pages of players developed who made national sides and as you said played in the FIFA club WC...

Its IMO sad, that Australian Professional Football has failed over arguably 60 plus years to connect to community Football... and as I see it that connection to community Football is fundamental to build Professional Football...

Without getting into the plastic arguments about the Football in the USA... however back in say 2000 the MLS was in far worst shape than when the A-League started.... what the MLS did was identify some key fundamental things they needed to do.... two of which were to have Football specific stadiums and to play a reason of 34 rounds regardless of how many teams they had... to date out of 29 teams 22 are Football specific, of the remaining 7, 2 are looking to build Football specific stadiums, and 3 play in NFL stadiums were they get often more fans than the NFL teams... only 2 play in NFL grounds and don't have plans to move...  but in one of these teams the NFL club is leaving leaving them as the only tenant...

The next level down has 27 teams, 6 share stadiums with baseball teams but are now the major tenant, with I think 5 new stadium being built and the second division for want of a better word is close to signing its own broadcast media deal... 

The USA will have P & R before Australia [yes they will] as they are slowly building the infrastructure and creating community awareness, and revenue streams to support this.

In Australia the fundamental professional football needs is to get community football to support professional football ... and they have done over 60 years SFA... only Perth Glory under Nick Tana did it well.... 
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

yer I was gonna say following Mids post - wouldn't give the APL one chance of the notion and paying 20times more to participate phhhft.
Hey MSC wouldn't get relegated :) and I'd double the cost of using your ground to the APL.

Love Football

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

Midfielder - 19 Jul 2022 11:43 AM
Monoethnic Social Club - 19 Jul 2022 10:07 AM

Fair enough SM still have a great history and a couple of pages of players developed who made national sides and as you said played in the FIFA club WC...

Its IMO sad, that Australian Professional Football has failed over arguably 60 plus years to connect to community Football... and as I see it that connection to community Football is fundamental to build Professional Football...

Without getting into the plastic arguments about the Football in the USA... however back in say 2000 the MLS was in far worst shape than when the A-League started.... what the MLS did was identify some key fundamental things they needed to do.... two of which were to have Football specific stadiums and to play a reason of 34 rounds regardless of how many teams they had... to date out of 29 teams 22 are Football specific, of the remaining 7, 2 are looking to build Football specific stadiums, and 3 play in NFL stadiums were they get often more fans than the NFL teams... only 2 play in NFL grounds and don't have plans to move...  but in one of these teams the NFL club is leaving leaving them as the only tenant...

The next level down has 27 teams, 6 share stadiums with baseball teams but are now the major tenant, with I think 5 new stadium being built and the second division for want of a better word is close to signing its own broadcast media deal... 

The USA will have P & R before Australia [yes they will] as they are slowly building the infrastructure and creating community awareness, and revenue streams to support this.

In Australia the fundamental professional football needs is to get community football to support professional football ... and they have done over 60 years SFA... only Perth Glory under Nick Tana did it well.... 

The thousands of clubs in the USA with no avenue to promotion and relegation would love for you to be right Mid. USA may have P & R between normal football and the franchises before Australia does but but if you think the MLS will stop selling $200 million dollar ponzi licenses to allow the Tallahassee Warthogs SC to just play their way into the MLS anytime in the next 50 years then I guess you must know something the thousands upon thousands of poor football fans in the States dont realise... they are more bitter than we are :)

Monoethnic Social Club
Monoethnic Social Club
Legend

LFC. - 19 Jul 2022 11:46 AM
yer I was gonna say following Mids post - wouldn't give the APL one chance of the notion and paying 20times more to participate phhhft.
Hey MSC wouldn't get relegated :) and I'd double the cost of using your ground to the APL.

No relegation this year brother .... Top of the world and loving it..... lol
GO

Select a Forum....

Inside Sport

Search