All FTBL links on facebook has been wiped.

All FTBL links on facebook has been wiped.

Author
Barca4Life
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
sethman75 - 18 Feb 2021 8:10 PM
FB and big tech in general need to be taught a lesson and we should start by banning FB in Australia.

Kids will cry for a week then realize how good it is without those vultures invading your life. 

Then the rest of the world needs to follow suite.

The younger generation aren't using Facebook , they are using Instagram and tik tok instead, so this doesnt effect them if anything this will have effect from those boomers who rely on information through Facebook. 

Im just curious what it would mean with other social media platforms, and what will mean globally looking down on what has happened with Australia's case.

However I do feel sorry for those independent writers and small and medium business who rely on getting to their audiences through fb and building their monetization through it as well.

Alot of health websites whom will share critical info regarding the vaccine will be badly cut off targeting their local communities so no wonder the govt, is panicking about false info spat around now.

I think Facebook were trying to make a statement by using their power but they dont realise this could have global implications especially when interacting with govts, also the national govt. didnt realise how big these tech giants have turned it and what they could really do with their power in the current climate.

In poker terms you never give your cards to your opponent and expect nothing to happen...
Edited
3 Years Ago by Barca4Life
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Monoethnic Social Club - 18 Feb 2021 9:37 PM
So just to get this straight "big tech" companies are either:
a) Right Wing capitalistic greedy monsters
b) a Left Wing agenda driven social revolution movement (that is also all about raising capital)
Dont panic about the decline in journalistic integrity in this country worry about the fuck1ng education system that is churning out a bunch of feeble minded shitheads.

Big Tech on the side of whoever will best serve their interests to 1. maintain their status as non-publishers ie retain s230 2. influence government policy ie anti-trust proceedings with the appointment of ex-employees to government positions 3. financially benefit from third party content without paying for it. They're only Left Wing for as long as it means they achieve those objectives.

tsf
tsf
Legend
Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)Legend (13K reputation)

I’m sure the rest of the world will be lining up to join this nobody, just like with China. 

What an own goal that has been. All at the behest of impressing trump. 

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro
Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)Pro (4.8K reputation)

Barca4Life - 18 Feb 2021 9:39 PM

The younger generation aren't using Facebook , they are using Instagram and tik tok instead, so this doesnt effect them if anything this will have effect from those boomers who rely on information through Facebook. 

Im just curious what it would mean with other social media platforms, and what will mean globally looking down on what has happened with Australia's case.

However I do feel sorry for those independent writers and small and medium business who rely on getting to their audiences through fb and building their monetization through it as well.

Alot of health websites whom will share critical info regarding the vaccine will be badly cut off targeting their local communities so no wonder the govt, is panicking about false info spat around now.

I think Facebook were trying to make a statement by using their power but they dont realise this could have global implications especially when interacting with govts, also the national govt. didnt realise how big these tech giants have turned it and what they could really do with their power in the current climate.

In poker terms you never give your cards to your opponent and expect nothing to happen...

I'm a GenXer, but the only facebook account I created was this year to sell a vintage car.  That's it. 

If I want news I will go directly to the website of the publisher using a search engine in a browser.  I read what I want not what facebook wants to show me. I'm sure boomers will get it.

OTOH as someone has been alluded to, there is precious little unbiased fact based reporting in the media anyway, nearly all of it is opinion dressed up as fact, so its not like I have much sympathy for them.  Its just that I see as Big Tech as an even bigger genuine threat to free access to information controlled by a cokehead in Dorsey and beta nerd on a power trip in Suckerberg.

Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

tsf - 18 Feb 2021 9:56 PM

I’m sure the rest of the world will be lining up to join this nobody, just like with China. 

What an own goal that has been. All at the behest of impressing trump. 

What do you mean? 

If India bans facebook and China already has, that alone 1 in 3 people on the planet that facebook cannot reach.

Google has already signed up with the French government.

Merkel has already expressed her displeasure at Big Tech's censorship of Trump. She- like all politicians knows- if they can do it to him they can do it to anybody, and the Germans will see this just another example of Big tech's over-reach.

China.  India. France. Germany. Australia.  That list will grow.

paulc
paulc
Legend
Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)Legend (16K reputation)

Suckerberg now wants us all to eat solely artificial meat FFS. 

How soon before this nerd, who had been used to getting shoved in a locker during his younger years, manipulate the type of information on Facebook that he wants us to see.  

You can vote governments out if we don’t like what they do, but there is nothing anyone can do about this bloke.

In a resort somewhere

Edited
3 Years Ago by paulc
Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

Anyone unsure of why the government is driving this legislation needs to watch the weekly on the ABC.  They do a good bit on why something needs to be done.

50% of Google searches don't go past the search results.  4 billion in ad revenue and only paying 1.9% tax and other gems.

Member since 2008.

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

Social media is crap.
It's all crap.

tsf
tsf
Legend

Enzo Bearzot - 18 Feb 2021 10:13 PM
tsf - 18 Feb 2021 9:56 PM

What do you mean? 

If India bans facebook and China already has, that alone 1 in 3 people on the planet that facebook cannot reach.

Google has already signed up with the French government.

Merkel has already expressed her displeasure at Big Tech's censorship of Trump. She- like all politicians knows- if they can do it to him they can do it to anybody, and the Germans will see this just another example of Big tech's over-reach.

China.  India. France. Germany. Australia.  That list will grow.

They have Instagram. 

They also own what’s app. 

They have revenue from Facebook coming from all nm over the world. They are going to teach Morrison and co a lesson so nobody else does it. 

I dont like Facebook, I just don’t like the reason this is being done. 

tsf
tsf
Legend

Munrubenmuz - 18 Feb 2021 10:47 PM
Anyone unsure of why the government is driving this legislation needs to watch the weekly on the ABC.  They do a good bit on why something needs to be done.

50% of Google searches don't go past the search results.  4 billion in ad revenue and only paying 1.9% tax and other gems.

Agree with the tax. 

But is it their fault people don’t click on links? I’ve personally never gotten news from just typing into Google and reading the search results. 

At the end of the day, it’s one pack of wankers v another. 

Muz
Muz
Legend
Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)Legend (15K reputation)

tsf - 18 Feb 2021 11:08 PM
Munrubenmuz - 18 Feb 2021 10:47 PM

Agree with the tax. 

But is it their fault people don’t click on links? I’ve personally never gotten news from just typing into Google and reading the search results. 

At the end of the day, it’s one pack of wankers v another. 

100%.  They're as bad as each other.

It is sort of their fault because they provide multiple summaries which is more than enough for most people, images that photojournalists took that didn't get paid for and other information pinched from here, there and everywhere.

Member since 2008.

paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

Group: Moderators
FB and big tech in general need to be taught a lesson and we should start by banning FB in Australia.

Kids will cry for a week then realize how good it is without those vultures invading your life. 

Then the rest of the world needs to follow suite.

Social media is 99% garbage, but I still naively hold on to the principle of freedom of speech, so I'd say an outright ban would be a bad thing.
Melbcityguy
Melbcityguy
World Class
World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)World Class (9.8K reputation)

Good debate no name calling or off topic crap 
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

tsf - 18 Feb 2021 11:05 PM
Enzo Bearzot - 18 Feb 2021 10:13 PM

They have Instagram. 

They also own what’s app. 

They have revenue from Facebook coming from all nm over the world. They are going to teach Morrison and co a lesson so nobody else does it. 

I dont like Facebook, I just don’t like the reason this is being done. 

Yes they own Insta and what's and that's one reason why Trump started anti-trust proceedings against Big Tech and wanted to remove their s230 protections.

But of course they colluded with the Democrats to have him removed and in a quid pro quo with Biden, this happened:

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-tech-biden-insight-idUSKBN28V170

Bet you didn't know that, and you won't other stuff like that of course because that's what happens when the media is in lock-step with government.

Add the Brits to the list:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/don-t-let-them-bully-you-british-mps-urge-australians-to-stand-firm-against-facebook-blockout-20210219-p573w7.html

Muz
Muz
Legend

Enzo Bearzot - 19 Feb 2021 8:33 AM
tsf - 18 Feb 2021 11:05 PM

Yes they own Insta and what's and that's one reason why Trump started anti-trust proceedings against Big Tech and wanted to remove their s230 protections.

But of course they colluded with the Democrats to have him removed and in a quid pro quo with Biden, this happened:

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-tech-biden-insight-idUSKBN28V170

Bet you didn't know that, and you won't other stuff like that of course because that's what happens when the media is in lock-step with government.

Add the Brits to the list:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/don-t-let-them-bully-you-british-mps-urge-australians-to-stand-firm-against-facebook-blockout-20210219-p573w7.html

Keep crying bubby.

Love.  A 'leftard'.

Member since 2008.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Munrubenmuz
Enzo Bearzot
Enzo Bearzot
Pro

Munrubenmuz - 19 Feb 2021 8:52 AM
Enzo Bearzot - 19 Feb 2021 8:33 AM

Keep crying bubby.

Love.  A 'leftard'.

hypocrite
paladisious
paladisious
Legend
Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)Legend (40K reputation)

The backdown is in the works: https://twitter.com/JoshFrydenberg/status/1362144150712315905
paladisious
paladisious
Legend

Sometimes you've just got to shake your head at the Tree Tories: https://www.facebook.com/AdamBandtMP/posts/3690561817645691
tsf
tsf
Legend

Image of big powerful Scotty calling on world leaders for their support 

Edited
3 Years Ago by tsf
tsf
tsf
Legend

paladisious - 19 Feb 2021 9:24 AM
Sometimes you've just got to shake your head at the Tree Tories: https://www.facebook.com/AdamBandtMP/posts/3690561817645691

he's a weasle. Great description of them. They're essentially populists for a certain demographic (Inner city, rich, white, delusions they are Socially responsible)
Edited
3 Years Ago by tsf
Carlito
Carlito
Legend
Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)Legend (28K reputation)

tsf - 19 Feb 2021 9:33 AM
paladisious - 19 Feb 2021 9:24 AM

he's a weasle. Great description of them. They're essentially populists for a certain demographic (Inner city, rich, white, delusions they are Socially responsible)

The greens sold their soul long ago. When they side with the lnp then something's  wrong . Bob Brown was the last proper green who we all knew were he stood and didn't dither from it despite being called every name under the sun
tsf
tsf
Legend

MvFCArsenal16.8 - 19 Feb 2021 9:41 AM
tsf - 19 Feb 2021 9:33 AM

The greens sold their soul long ago. When they side with the lnp then something's  wrong . Bob Brown was the last proper green who we all knew were he stood and didn't dither from it despite being called every name under the sun

yep - on top of that - progressive on women's issues and always got a sound byte or a social media post ready for the likes, but second someone in their own fold is accused - dead silence. 
Muz
Muz
Legend

Enzo Bearzot - 19 Feb 2021 9:15 AM
Munrubenmuz - 19 Feb 2021 8:52 AM

hypocrite

Are you thick?  I'm here saying google and facebook need to be reined in.  I'm pro legislation.

Member since 2008.

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

someguyjc - 18 Feb 2021 9:28 PM

Kids already don't use it. It seems to be mainly bloomers and gen-x that are still on it. The millennials don't even really use it and gen-z definitely doesn't care about facebook. 

Yep that's what I've seen too.
All my friends who have teenage kids don't have Facebook.
I deleted it because it was all just boomers yelling at 35 year old trolls winding them up
TheDjentleman
TheDjentleman
Hacker
Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)Hacker (408 reputation)

We should have listened to Ted Kaczynski.

Everybodys favourite lurker.

Gyfox
Gyfox
Legend

Davide82 - 19 Feb 2021 11:53 AM
someguyjc - 18 Feb 2021 9:28 PM

Yep that's what I've seen too.
All my friends who have teenage kids don't have Facebook.
I deleted it because it was all just boomers yelling at 35 year old trolls winding them up

We wouldn't do that. ;)
LFC.
LFC.
Legend
Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)Legend (12K reputation)

Gyfox - 19 Feb 2021 3:37 PM
Davide82 - 19 Feb 2021 11:53 AM

We wouldn't do that. ;)

haha and rightly so, I don't even have an account BUT interesting others here say kids/younger gen hardly use it I call BS.
My own 3, 27yrs 20 and 16yrs all have it and use as do countless of their friends incl Insta tik tok as mentioned - I'm sure the younger gen are still higher % users than boomers etc....
From my observations and listenning its all gens/trolls winding each other up, thank the lord I only get wound up in here :) couldn't fathom the time spent on all the other crap.

Love Football

Davide82
Davide82
Legend

LFC. - 19 Feb 2021 3:49 PM

haha and rightly so, I don't even have an account BUT interesting others here say kids/younger gen hardly use it I call BS.
My own 3, 27yrs 20 and 16yrs all have it and use as do countless of their friends incl Insta tik tok as 

Well obviously some kids do use facebook
However of the 5 kids I know 11-15 years old, none have facebook.

It's all anecdotal but I feel like it's not as cool as it used to be, obviously nobody is saying nobody under 18 uses it

They all use Insta and Tik Tok or Snapchat and say things to me like "ergh imagine using facebook grandpa" and I'm only 38 aha

bettega
bettega
World Class
World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)World Class (5K reputation)

My two teenage kids don't use it at all.
The younger one never opened an account, the older one did in primary school and hasn't looked at it since.
I don't blame them - it's crap.

someguyjc
someguyjc
Pro
Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)Pro (4.2K reputation)

LFC. - 19 Feb 2021 3:49 PM

My own 3, 27yrs 20 and 16yrs all have it and use as do countless of their friends incl Insta tik tok as mentioned - I'm sure the younger gen are still higher % users than boomers etc....
From my observations and listenning its all gens/trolls winding each other up, thank the lord I only get wound up in here :) couldn't fathom the time spent on all the other crap.

These are Australian stats from this time last year, but should be fairly similar to now.
13-17 - 3.8%
18-24 - 16.2%
25-34 - 26.6%
35-44 - 18.5%
45-54 - 14.5%
55-64 - 11%
65+ - 9.4%

In other words,
80% of users are over the age of 25
53.4% of FB users in Australia are over the age of 35
20% are under the age of 25.

GO